As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android] Thread v.2015: Google tries to hardware. Effort: A+. Grade score: C-

• Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    FYI: if you preorder a S8/+ directly from Samsung, they've got a promotion going for a 256gb microsd card and "premium headphones by AKG" for $99.

Looking at Amazon, this is basically buying a 256gb sd card and getting free headphones, though the Samsung site didn't seem to specify exactly which model of headphones. There's also the GearVR +controller for preordering, but that's free with the preorder.

I'm going to wait until more reviews come out (preorder deadline is the 17th to receive on the 20th), but this seems like a pretty good deal if you don't already have a sd card you want to use. Also this evades whatever services fee your carrier might charge for ordering from them; the order page lets you pick a carrier so you don't miss out on compatibility and/or carrier bloatware.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Well 3 months in and my op3t smashed it's screen. Waiting to hear from support for an email and it's hopefully not too expensive to get fixed

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    So I'm looking for a phone in the budget range, and the Moto G5 seems to fit the bill pretty much perfectly - the only thing that makes me nervous is the lack of gorilla glass, which, I assumed, is standard by now (even my age old shitty kindle fire has gorilla glass). So realistically, how much does it matter? Would I have to put on some sort of screen protector on it (which I hate, because there's always at least one tiny speck of dust creating bubbles no matter how and where I do it)? Would it be more, mmmh, brittle?

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    The Moto G5 Plus has Gorilla Glass 3 according to Phone Arena.

• Options
    Sure, but that's a hundred bucks more, which is the issue.

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    My phone won't load the Reminders scheduler. If I type "add reminder" or just punch in a reminder in the Google app, it shows the Google app trying to load the reminder script, but won't finish loading. It's been doing this for days. I tried removing Google Keep and reinstalling it, but not sure what else to try.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    So I'm looking for a phone in the budget range, and the Moto G5 seems to fit the bill pretty much perfectly - the only thing that makes me nervous is the lack of gorilla glass, which, I assumed, is standard by now (even my age old shitty kindle fire has gorilla glass). So realistically, how much does it matter? Would I have to put on some sort of screen protector on it (which I hate, because there's always at least one tiny speck of dust creating bubbles no matter how and where I do it)? Would it be more, mmmh, brittle?

get a tempered glass screen protector and call it a day. They're really good, feel like a real glass screen, because it is glass, and are waaaay better than those shitty plastic film protectors.

About the phone itself, the Moto G line has always been a solid budget performer. Just looking at the specs real quickly, I would say that if you can maybe wait a month and put together the extra money for the Plus it'll probably be worth it. The Snapdragon 625 will be way better over the longer term than the 430. If you absolutely cannot get to the G5 Plus's price point, the G5 looks fine, but personally I'd find a way to get the Plus.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    If you have Amazon Prime you can get the G5 Plus (32gb version) for like $190 with ads. And the ads are apparently small notifications that are only on the lock screen. If you use the fingerprint reader you'll apparently never even see them.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Two tips for putting on a screen protector:

1) wash your hands at least once prior to putting it on

2) if you're overly worried about dust, set up a small fan to blow across your work surface while you put on the protector

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »

2) if you're overly worried about dust, set up a small fan to blow across your work surface while you put on the protector

also, do it in the bathroom. Put the shower on hot water for about 10 minutes to keep the humidity up, which will keep the dust down.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options

If you don't mind wasting a bit of water, get a good hot shower going. The steam will get any dust out of the air, and any moisture under the protector will take care of itself.

• Options
    iguanacus wrote: »
    If you have Amazon Prime you can get the G5 Plus (32gb version) for like $190 with ads. And the ads are apparently small notifications that are only on the lock screen. If you use the fingerprint reader you'll apparently never even see them.

That sounds like something that could be easily removed. Alas, the cheapest I can find the G5 Plus here is 290€, the regular G5 is 199€

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    removing the amazon ads involves rooting the device and flashing the stock rom for the non amazon device. Not hard, but not for everyone.

• Options
    BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    removing the amazon ads involves rooting the device and flashing the stock rom for the non amazon device. Not hard, but not for everyone.

wouldn't that void the warranty?

i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

if they're anything like the fire tablets, you can pay a small fee to remove the ads.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Got my Moto G4 Plus yesterday. Couldn't find an easy way to transfer apps and stuff so ended up doing it manually, and there was quite a lot of stuff about the UI I didn't like (coming from a HTC background) but I quickly discovered Nova Launcher.

Got it pretty well set up how my old phone was now. Screen is nice, speakers not as good as my M8 but I don't have to contort the charging cable and wedge the phone in place with a couple of books to get it to receive charge so I'm calling it a win.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    Oh hey, now that you mention it, the G4 Plus is available for 199 eurodollars, the price of a regular G5. That is probably the better deal!

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    So the other half's Nexus 5 has finally given up the ghost and as we're trying to buy a house at the moment budget is somewhat limited. She mostly uses it for Instagram (when I asked her what matters to her, she said 'camera' and that was it) and peripheral apps. For under £300 what are we looking at here?

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Lezta wrote: »
    So the other half's Nexus 5 has finally given up the ghost and as we're trying to buy a house at the moment budget is somewhat limited. She mostly uses it for Instagram (when I asked her what matters to her, she said 'camera' and that was it) and peripheral apps. For under £300 what are we looking at here?

Moto G4 or G5? Nexus 5X?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Goddamn google 2 factor authentication is fucking me over right now. New phone, needed to reset the password. Reset, log in now it needs the stupid code from a text. No text no for over an hour. Grrrrrr

*EDIT*

And just after I vent here the text finally comes through!

iguanacus on
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Eh, that frustration is totally justified, an hour is an insane amount of time to have to wait for a code to be texted.

If I don't get a code within a couple of minutes I assume something has gone wrong.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    So for some reason the album art on my phone in Google Play decided to go fuck itself up royally.

I'm seeing a number of free album art changer apps on the Play store, but while I can find the proper album art with them, Google Play refuses to update.

Yes, I've cleared the cache and refreshed in Google Play. All other solutions involve uploading my music to my Google account first, which I think is ridiculous. I shouldn't have to have my music library all actually on Google in order for Google Play to know what the fucking album cover is, especially since most of them had the right art to begin with, before they all got shuffled randomly for some reason.

• Options
    LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Lezta wrote: »

Moto G4 or G5? Nexus 5X?

Good shouts. I've kept up reasonably with the flagship phones, but everything else has just been lost in the chaff.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    if you can snag one, a Nexus 5x is a great phone for the price

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Managed to spend a day with the S8+ The increase in screen real estate kinda negates its-self when a chunk of screen is taken up by menu controls on particular apps. Camera continues to be top spec, and the whole infinity display thing does make the phone look and feel high end. Battery is about on par with the S7+

New software features not had much time to try out but from what others have been saying, not really anything worth praising.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    The thing I'm most interested in for the S8 is the Dex dock.

That looks really cool

• Options
    The guys at Android Central discussed it and they had a few interesting points, mostly related to their mobile lifestyles. I'm curious if you think you'd actually use the dock, or not.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    if you can snag one, a Nexus 5x is a great phone for the price

I have a 5X and it's been great.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The guys at Android Central discussed it and they had a few interesting points, mostly related to their mobile lifestyles. I'm curious if you think you'd actually use the dock, or not.

It might be great for businesses. They have PCs for people who have no business using a computer, and would be far better served with a chromebook. This might do a good job splitting the difference.

• Options
    The problem with the Dex Dock, like all of these solutions, is that app support is limited. The Dex Dock will only fully support Samsung apps out of the box (as well as Microsoft's Word and Excel Mobile apps). It sounds/looks like other apps will work, but in a more limited fashion (probably stuck to one window size, etc).

And since this is a proprietary Samsung thing it will require devs to update their apps to support dex individually, which won't happen. Remember, ChromeOS now has android support and app updates to make that a better experience are basically non existent, and that's with a standard google framework/API. Samsung had split window support long before it was built into Android and very few devs supported it. (hell some devs don't even support the standard that's now built into Android)

• Options
    Yeah, but Samsung phones are used a lot by businesses because of the Knox and AirWatch systems. And if it only really works with the first party apps and Office suite, that's going to be enough for a lot of businesses. Less for the user to fuck up.

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Samsung have also had third party apps created for specific Samsung devices, like Sketchbook Pro for the Note tablets etc. The issue will be can they price the Dex Dock well enough to replace other hardware that can do a lot more in theory.

• Options
    For "most" of the potential users of this dock, they already own a serviceable laptop that does WAY more than this, and they are already bringing it with them somewhere to do actual work.

I say this after having backed the Superbook on KS (note: that is the last thing I will ever back on KS); which is essentially what this dock is doing. I think the usage case is so small for this that you'll only see Samsung fans get excited over it. I can see the business usage case for @Shadowfire but again, I argue that the employees who would use this are already using laptops.

• Options
    BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular
    I am sure there's a simple way of doing it but this is driving me nuts: How do I stop Whatsapp from saving media to my phone? In other words, I want Whatsapp to keep downloading media (data usage) but I don't want it to keep that media in a folder in the gallery app. This was easily done on iOS, any help?

i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Basar wrote: »
    I am sure there's a simple way of doing it but this is driving me nuts: How do I stop Whatsapp from saving media to my phone? In other words, I want Whatsapp to keep downloading media (data usage) but I don't want it to keep that media in a folder in the gallery app. This was easily done on iOS, any help?

a kind of "dumb" workaround is to put a blank file called ".nomedia" in the folder where Whatsapp stores images. the files are still there, Android just doesn't read them in a gallery app.

ref: http://lifehacker.com/5793803/disable-media-scanning-in-specific-android-directories-by-creating-a-nomedia-file

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    Basar wrote: »

a kind of "dumb" workaround is to put a blank file called ".nomedia" in the folder where Whatsapp stores images. the files are still there, Android just doesn't read them in a gallery app.

ref: http://lifehacker.com/5793803/disable-media-scanning-in-specific-android-directories-by-creating-a-nomedia-file

This is good to know! I didn't know there was a way to stop that, thanks!

工事中
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    A month or so ago I got a Galaxy 7 Edge phone, and just yesterday a friend who works at Google gave the wife and I each our own Pixel C tablets. Was looking to remote play my PS4 on the tablet, but don't want to root it in case I ever need to give it back.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    A month or so ago I got a Galaxy 7 Edge phone, and just yesterday a friend who works at Google gave the wife and I each our own Pixel C tablets. Was looking to remote play my PS4 on the tablet, but don't want to root it in case I ever need to give it back.

Without having looked into them much, I can say that if they're like the Nexus devices, it is absolutely trivial to un-root them and restore them to factory.

• Options
    lodgerlodger Humble Narrator Registered User regular

I just picked up an LG Pad 8.3 v510 (Google Play edition) on Amazon. Comes installed with 4.4 but System Update has the option to upgrade to 5.1. Unfortunately, whenever the tablet downloads the update, it gives me a "Verification Failed" message. I tried a factory reset, but the error persists.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    That's a pretty old device that wasn't super-popular when it first came out. It's possible that they've stopped hosting the OTA images to do the upgrade (or it got corrupted and they haven't fixed it), but I can't tell you for sure.

a5ehren on
This discussion has been closed.