As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gears of War: Live Action Film & Animated Series Coming to Netflix?

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    There's also the bit right after that.
    Fahz is the COG loyalist (unlike most of the rest of the cast, who explicitly don't like the COG to various degrees, but realise they're the only rational option in the circumstances).
    And he aims a gun at the First Minister and seems perfectly willing to use it to defend someone he doesn't even seem to like that much, because she's a squadmate.

Considering how calm and forgiving Jinn in particular and the COG in general are about that sort of thing (court-marshalling people in the middle of a battle, imprisoning one of their best soldiers while everything goes to shit, etc), that could easily lead to a prison sentence or worse once things calm down.

Up to then I was keeping an open opinion on whether he and JD were sent by Jinn to keep an eye on Kait.

I didn't get that they were meant to be buddies, but every team needs a contrarian. In 1-3, Baird was the only one who'd speak up and offer a dissenting opinion, and almost always get overruled . He was also the Smart Guy they turned to when they needed something fixed, but if someone was going to complain about something, it was Baird.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Fahz discussion.
    It's interesting that you bring a parallels between Fahz and Baird. Sure, they are the designated asshole of their groups, but with Baird, I was onboard with from day1. Maybe it was because he had Cole as an advocate in his corner.

They might have done similar things, but meeting Baird, his biggest complaint was Fenix in charge of the squad. Baird gave his dissenting opinion, but as a good 2IC, he went with Fenix's decision. I cant recall specific moments because its been years since gears1-3, but Baird's opinion did spark and facilitate some of Fenix's choices. Thats a good thing.

With Fahz, it was active derision and the guy does not know how to be a team player when you meet him. In the gym, there is a flyer where Fahz is banned from group sparring for not adhering to tapouts and trust in the ring. That shit does not fly with me.

Maybe Fahz also had a chip because he was blamed for JD's decision of firing on protesters. (Absolutely justified, if its true the protesters used firebombs. You are combatant now.) But Fahz bringing it up during the high stress of Settlement 2's evac? I dunno, I see why he did it, but it was a shit move and not something to air out in a life or death situation.

But as was stated in chapter 3. JD and Fahz took the edge off each other.

And its why I am ok with working with Fahz now. I dont like him, but he can do the job.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'd use the line from GotG; He's an asshole, but he's not 100% a dick.
    By the end of the game, he's at around 40/60% depending on ending and personal opinion.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Old man Marcus is the best. I never liked him in the other games, but now he's great.

JusticeforPluto on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I think Fahz brought up the Settlement 2 thing because
    JD also shot at the protesters and did it first! Yet somehow Fahz gets exclusively shit on for it and no doubt feels ostracized and ill used by Delta. JD is acting like he's a paragon while lying by omission to his friends. If you listen to Fahz's dialogue in Act 3, he's clearly less experienced in the field than the rest of the gang. Once they give him a spot on the squad and stop treating him like a monster, he not only goes along with their mission, he even nearly kills himself saving Del.

I think Fahz is actually a good guy with a huge chip on his shoulder because of shenanigans.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I totally didn't realize Fahz's voice actor was the super cool gamer coroner from Izombie.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Yep, just what escape needed; more skills for the three characters who are already fleshed out the most. New skills for Kat, who has like as single card that applies to escape? Nah.

Also the new skills involve fighting in the venom, which requires you to take longer in escape matches, immediately preceeding talk about the Escape leaderboards that require you to play as quickly a possible to win exclusive skins.

I feel like the Coalition's left hand doesn't know what its right hand is doing.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I played with a great team who were friends and they coached me to be a better del player it was awesome, and I got to observe how jack works

So now I’m using him and goddamnit del players suck and I dont have a mic to give em pointers

Also holy shit rushing forge is broken AS FUCK

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Yep, just what escape needed; more skills for the three characters who are already fleshed out the most. New skills for Kat, who has like as single card that applies to escape? Nah.

Also the new skills involve fighting in the venom, which requires you to take longer in escape matches, immediately preceeding talk about the Escape leaderboards that require you to play as quickly a possible to win exclusive skins.

I feel like the Coalition's left hand doesn't know what its right hand is doing.

I'm assuming they're encouraging players to max out the venom speed mutators for best mileage

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular

This might be more of a preperation for later challenge maps that are tougher and might have you end up in the venom more often.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Servers were unplayable tonight. I hope they fix em by tomorrow.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I hope this patch finally let's me play Act 3/4 without killing my entire PC. No response from them on it, either.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    During the ‘don’t let the bad guys shoot the boom powder’ part in act 2.The AI was, and I’m not kidding, programmed to make you lose. Jack will happily fly towards the event, Del will sit all the way back and not shoot a single bullet, and every enemy on the screen will focus fire on jack. Most frustrating thing in the game by far.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    During the ‘don’t let the bad guys shoot the boom powder’ part in act 2.The AI was, and I’m not kidding, programmed to make you lose. Jack will happily fly towards the event, Del will sit all the way back and not shoot a single bullet, and every enemy on the screen will focus fire on jack. Most frustrating thing in the game by far.

Near the end of that sequence, Del got stuck somewhere and broke the scripting, preventing progress (this wouldn't be the last time this will happen in the game), and then after restarting, he charged headfirst into gatling gun fire and immediately died, forcing another restart.

Babysitting some of the dumbest AI in the world wouldn't be too bad if losing them weren't fail conditions, but here we are.

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Servers were unplayable tonight. I hope they fix em by tomorrow.

Yeah I ran into a bunch of issues. Seemed to settle out later on.

That being said all these games later I still feel like the gnasher is super random. I know it isn't the weapon it's me using it but there are games where I will destroy people and then other games where I wouldn't hit the floor if I fell over. It's so feast or famine it is insane

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    It's pretty interesting because with them introducing not only health bars and hitmarkers but pellet hit markers for shotguns, Gears combat is the clearest and most transparent it's ever been

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular

Yeah Del got sticker in the Snatcher room for me. Finished with 2% left.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I totally didn't realize Fahz's voice actor was the super cool gamer coroner from Izombie.

Wait, Rahul Kohli is Faz? Holy shit, how did I not recognize that? I thought it was another guy with a West End London accent!

Well, Faz is automatically one of my favorite characters now.

This is weird because, on experience, I had a really easy time with this--excluding one case where a Juvenile exploded next to the canister (dropping it to around 75%), it was never in danger.

• Options
    It's pretty interesting because with them introducing not only health bars and hitmarkers but pellet hit markers for shotguns, Gears combat is the clearest and most transparent it's ever been

It's on me for sure. It's just I'm looking at the screen at it sure looks like the barrel is pointed the correct way. Go to kill cam when I inevitably get destroyed and I'm facing like 90 degrees away from my target

• Options
    I don't remember if it was gears 4, but j recall having issues previously where if I just turned my Xbox off instead of exiting the game then powering off that the next time I booted everything up it's be super fucked. Controller wouldn't respond except for "plain" Xbox commands (can't navigate menus etc), wouldn't connect to live, bunch of stuff.

Seems to be occurring again. Anyone encounter this? I'm trying the old solution but we will see

• Options
    I had an old issue where my xbox would randomly cease to be able to connect to the internet on resume, so I wound up just turning the xbox off outright instead. I went back to suspend later and it hasn't happened again.

...Hasn't happened since I stopped playing Gears 4, I now realize..

• Options
    I don't remember if it was gears 4, but j recall having issues previously where if I just turned my Xbox off instead of exiting the game then powering off that the next time I booted everything up it's be super fucked. Controller wouldn't respond except for "plain" Xbox commands (can't navigate menus etc), wouldn't connect to live, bunch of stuff.

Seems to be occurring again. Anyone encounter this? I'm trying the old solution but we will see

That sounds more like a hardware issue, unfortunately? Unless it only happened in GOW4.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »

That sounds more like a hardware issue, unfortunately? Unless it only happened in GOW4.

It's been long enough that I don't recall honestly. My Xbox is a very early one so it's possible

• Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    I played with a great team who were friends and they coached me to be a better del player it was awesome, and I got to observe how jack works

So now I’m using him and goddamnit del players suck and I dont have a mic to give em pointers

Also holy shit rushing forge is broken AS FUCK

I had such a great game last night. Everyone stayed until the end and the Del was impressive. But I had the same opportunity watching a great Jack. They were every where on the map, collecting weapons and breaking them down in the forge, clutch revives, and even would bring heavy weapons to me in the sniper roost I had set up on Icebound.

Really looking forward to trying out Jack soon.

• Options
    I don't think I've successfully completed an escape run since pre-release weekend. At that point in time the mode honestly felt too easy. The biggest challenge being whether my teammates would share ammunition.

Now I have people hauling ass to get back INTO the gas.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    I finished Gears of War 5 on Tuesday, earlier than expected (this might be the fastest completion for a title in the franchise for me, at least on harder-than-normal difficulty). My thoughts (with major spoilers):
    The metacritic score for Gears 5 is 85, one point over Gears of War 4. Arguably, metacritic scores (as averages of many reviews) are arbitrary, though less arbitrary than any single review picked at random. But to be honest, I generally agree with this: Gears 5 is an excellent game, and ever so slightly better than its predecessor, which was also an excellent game. I look forward to a few years from now, when Gears of War (?) 6 comes out, and the internet celebrates it as a remarkable return to form after the generally lackluster Gears 5.

It's a good game. I'm probably weird in that the singleplayer experience is 80 to 90% of my Gears of War experience in any given title, ever since Horde and even Escape Mode (which I do enjoy) have become occasional pass times. Setting aside a couple hours to play through Horde even on "Beginner" is a daunting task. So almost everything comes from singleplayer--and that was a hell of a ride. Not perfect by any means--in fact, probably not the best singleplayer experience in the franchise--but still thoroughly enjoyable.

The game is a masterpiece of technology. Even on Xbox One, we're looking at a really good looking game that runs remarkably well. It has one of the best (and most flexible) HDR implementations anywhere period, so everyone who's been ranting about how HDR is more important than higher resolutions, shut up and play this game. On Xbox One X, it's probably the best looking third-person shooter ever to come to console, especially when treated as a a whole. I've yet to finish Control, though I have see, visually, about 95% of what the game has to offer on console--it's surprisingly difficult to compare these two games from a technical standpoint, because in Gears 5, you're not going to have a room full of identical desks each loaded with a stapler, a few pens, a 386 PC, and a dozen other items that you can knock over and send scattering. And in Control, you don't get to visit an enormous desert, watch snow drifts shift with the wind, and play at 60 FPS (well, you get the later on PC with enough hardware). Or HDR. Even considering the probably technological superiority of Control on PC compared to Gears 5 on the same (there's no ray-tracing in Gears 5 as far as I know), I'd firmly give Gears 5 the overall edge, by a comfortable margin, on console by virtue of everything it does that Control doesn't, and the fact that it does it at twice the framerate.

And I like the story. It's not perfect--it's certainly easier to point out the flaws--and it's shorter than expected, which is either good or bad depending on your situation--but it's still really, really good (and here I'll stop making comparisons to Control or any Remedy game). Laura Bailey knocked it out of the park, and (in lieu of not watching dubbed anime anymore since I no longer have cable television) is now one of my favorite voice actresses in gaming--between this, Halo 5, Shadow of War, even Resident Evil 6 and World of Warcraft, I think she's been knocking it out of the park (I've heard she's also good in Spiderman). I eagerly await her returning as Kait in the sequel--the fact that Kait isn't my favorite Gear...of War...doesn't diminish that. Kait's still an excellent lead, even if sometimes her behavior and actions are a little...dubious in a way that's not really that surprising for the franchise going back this long. I never grew tired of her either in the linear sections or in the open world, which is an addition that that works substantially better than I would've expected (as a replacement to "go left or right"), even if it means I'm going to have to spend more time replaying the game just to do basic collection. On a scale of the original Mass Effect Mako (a zero--come at me) and the Halo Warthog (a ten), the skiff as a traversal vehicle is a comfortable 8, and a pleasure to ride (which is good, because there's no fast travel?). Kait's chemistry with Del(mont) is overall great, to the point where I honestly liked Del more than her at the end of the game, come the time to make that heartbreaking decision.

I saved J.D.. Not because I like J.D. more, but because I couldn't live with the guilt of returning to Marcus without his baby boy. Forgive me, Del, you were my favorite, and Marcus loved you like a son, but I can't help but break his heart the least possible. I am, of course, operating on assumption--watching Marcus respond to James' death would be too difficult. And I'm a little angry at the choice (or these kind of choices in general, going back to Mass Effect and before that)...you can tell this is what a few reviews referred to as "taking bold risks for the franchise," and I understand the motivation why, but....hmmm.

Sophie's Choice aside, excluding a single annoying boss battle in Act II--I suppose ever game in the franchise has at least one--I still enjoyed pretty much every minute of the game. It does feel a little short, but I suspect that's a combination of length and just how easy it was to tell myself, "Okay, just another twenty minutes."--generally a rarity for games. The thing is just a pleasure to play, and while it's not perfect, I like the combination of (small) open world acts and more linear, highly-intense sections. And I'll never forget Del and Kait--"'Cause he's a fucking robot!" "That's not his fault!". I actually never found myself disliking J.D.--some of his decisions, certainly, but the clearly evident remorse he feels (and his willingness to convey it) kept him from turning to me. That might speak to one of the weaker parts of the writing: Kait and Del's strong sense of betrayal being aimed not so much as J.D.'s past act (which he's ashamed of, even if he does hide it initially--his actual defection from the military to Kait's band probably counts for something), but his apparent coldness and distance (you know, after being in a coma and getting people killed in a earnest mistake) felt like it could've been handled better. There's no way Fahz, tremendous douchebag that he starts out as, doesn't become one of my favorite characters when he's voiced by Rahul "Hollywood's Badboy" "I ain't no Pussy" "AAHHHHH!" Kohli--I think the game made as good an effort as any setting up a foil to deliberately turn around over the length of the game. Seeing his response to Del's death--"Haha, look who's rescuing who...now...?" followed by broken silence--is easily one of the most memorable scenes of the game. It's hard to picture his response to J.D.'s death being more poignant. Really, despite Kait's obvious elevation from stealth protagonist to full protagonist, it seems hard not to say that it's not her relationship with her mother, but J.D.'s years-long reconciliation with his father at Del's death and his own acknowledgment of his faults (which are far more relevant to Marcus than Kait) that is the emotional core of Gears 6.

I knew Cole wasn't going to die. I did, for a second, scream in horror inside my head "Oh god, no, there's no way I they killed both black guys. No no no no no nononono." Cole can't die off-screen, that's not how this works. But he came back, and all was well. I still love Cole, and Baird, for all their camp and goofiness, a sort of emotional catharsis to keep you going in the bleakness of the story.

There's a lot arbitrary about game review scores, or even averages of a wide variety of scores. Some people didn't like Gears of War 4, and some people won't like this one. For me, though, that's two home runs. I'll be buying this game, either when it goes off Gamepass, or before that, and I'm excited about a Kait-led Gears of War 6.

I'll miss you, Del. Who knows, maybe I'm too easy to please.

tl;dr--I liked it a lot.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    So whats up with the Map rotation?

the game has so many more maps then the matchmaking playlists are using.

All iI ever see in matchmaking is Asylum, Traning Ground, Vaskar, Icebound and District.

• Options

All iI ever see in matchmaking is Asylum, Traning Ground, Vaskar, Icebound and District.

Hit x to vote on the next map, right after the game ends (while it's counting up all the stuff you got)

• Options

Hit x to vote on the next map, right after the game ends (while it's counting up all the stuff you got)

I know still feel like ive never seen the other maps in the vote

• Options
    Just hit the weirdest bug. Loading escape and it's the cutscenes with the snatcher. Except my character (Keegan) is standing motionless. Then the mask appears but in midair and you can hear the sounds but the snatcher scoops up an invisible person

• Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    Just hit the weirdest bug. Loading escape and it's the cutscenes with the snatcher. Except my character (Keegan) is standing motionless. Then the mask appears but in midair and you can hear the sounds but the snatcher scoops up an invisible person

I've run into this one a couple times, too, and have seen it happen to streamers on Twitch.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    edited September 2019

I've run into this one a couple times, too, and have seen it happen to streamers on Twitch.

Honestly, it was pretty funny

Unrelated but it is interesting to me that on the map "exhibit" there is a
    "creatures of the hollow" um...exhibit with tickers and other initial trilogy beasties. The COG strikes me as a government that would've tried to bury that story of stuff

I mean they did with the locust... literally and figuratively

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Honestly, it was pretty funny

Unrelated but it is interesting to me that on the map "exhibit" there is a
    "creatures of the hollow" um...exhibit with tickers and other initial trilogy beasties. The COG strikes me as a government that would've tried to bury that story of stuff

I mean they did with the locust... literally and figuratively
    I think since the war was over and they felt like they won it was probably seen as a glorious triumph.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Re: the COG
    Keep in mind the new COG is basically a reboot; Prescott left and the COG formerly disbanded. Even before that, the government was basically Prescott himself and the military was Colonel Hoffman.

New COG is basically a new government inspired by the old one. Hell, it's being run by a former Stranded now.

EDIT: Also, these are the monsters that killed millions and everyone who was alive 25 years ago knew about? How would you even attempt to cover them up?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Re: the COG
    Keep in mind the new COG is basically a reboot; Prescott left and the COG formerly disbanded. Even before that, the government was basically Prescott himself and the military was Colonel Hoffman.

New COG is basically a new government inspired by the old one. Hell, it's being run by a former Stranded now.

EDIT: Also, these are the monsters that killed millions and everyone who was alive 25 years ago knew about? How would you even attempt to cover them up?

This sort of thing happens all the time. A lot of states define "government" as simple a ruling bloc, which is replaced by another when voted out or deposed or whatever. Taiwanese governments, Italian governments. Hence the expression, "form a new government". The Russian Federation is formally the same nation as the Russian Soviet Federated Socialist Republic (which they even called "Russian Federation" on occasion), but with a bunch of different political parties (and one same one, the CPRF) and a different bicameral parliament (and that's only because Boris Yeltsin dissolved the old ones--literally called the Soviet of the Republic and the Soviet of Nationalities, combined to make the Russian Supreme Soviet--via tanks and live ammo in 1993 when it tried to impeach him), which happens to be the sovereign successor to the supranational Soviet Union (a federation of a bunch of republics) because the international community had to recognize someone.

It's stranger because the COG feels halfway between a supranational federation like the United States (or the USSR) and NATO, at least from what I can tell, but if it were "realistic" it probably believes itself to be legallly contiguous with the government that won the Pendulum Wars (and would probably want to maintain certain privileges, treaty benefits, etc., that came with that). Unless there's a book or comic that states otherwise, of course.The important part is that it's made up of completely different people and has at least renamed some of the offices (for all we know, Jinn is Chairwoman of the Coalition, everyone just calls her "First Minister" because that's politic). Since governments are institutions made up of people, and not run by computers typically, the actual actors in power do make all the difference in the world.

Really, with extremely centralized governments (fictionally so), one person could make all the difference.
    Did Deschenko, the last premier (prime minister) of the UIR (effectively something between the USSR and the Warsaw Pact or Comecom) basically single-handed stop a retaliatory strike that would've slaughtered millions of people in the COG in retaliation for the successful theft of the Hammer of Dawn--and thereby effectively dooming the war effort? That seems to be the sentiment from the wiki along with what we learn in Gears 5. Granted, the UIR might've still lost the war, on top of killing millions of people in the COG, but thanks to Deschenko, only one side was brutally slaughtered via satellite.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Notes: https://www.gears5.com/whatsup-oct1-2019

Big one

2x Stars for Tour is every saturday now if you have boost

• Options
    Notes: https://www.gears5.com/whatsup-oct1-2019

Big one

2x Stars for Tour is every saturday now if you have boost

Note they reset at 5pm pst and the 2x starts starts at 2 am pst, so you can technically do two days worth of Tour missions for that 2x.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    In addition to reducing prices, we’re also looking at ways to increase the visibility and value of Banners and Blood Sprays before and during matches. For example, Blood Sprays are designed to be a way to taunt opponents by giving a reminder of your dominance. We’re currently concepting ways to have the blood spray appear on the kill screen of an opponent after they have been executed – hopefully that middle finger blood spray will get a lot of more personal. Stay tuned for more updates.

Nothing like adding cosmetics and then going "wait, these things are almost pointless, why would anyone buy them" after the game has been or for a month. :razz:
    Resolved an issue that could rarely allow Horde enemies to spawn out of world

Finally. Was a really shitty way to have a horde run end.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    And it seems it did nothing for Act 3 and 4 freezing/killing my video signal/whatever the hell it's doing. Damnit.

Really weird.