As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DC Movies] This thread was punched into oblivion, post in the new one

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Gadot does look tough, just not in that photo. The few seconds she was in the BVS trailer showed it, as does the trinity posing for the poster.

Kinda, but first impressions are vital and that isn't a good first shot for that movie. WB/DC don't have as much leeway with this stuff as Marvel does.

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    FroThulu I do appreciate you bringing it up. I think we should be careful about how we are couching these arguments that she doesn't look like WW or shouldn't be playing her to avoid falling into the trap of women never meeting the standards we set for them.

That's all I'm saying

And, honestly, Tom Cruise is kind of my go-to for double-standards on this

Tom Cruise is not only tiny, but would probably crumple like a wee little puppet man in any sort of actual confrontation (that's barring Scientology-crazy), yet we just kind of buy that this little turdlet can be a total bamf in all his movies, nobody really says anything. Because he's a dude, basically, and we just kinda subconsciously seem to say "yeah, any dude can do whatever."

It does botherlike woah, that they found a conventionally attractive model to play WonderWoman, but I also kind of look at the ugly truth of Hollywood in general- everybody is pretty. Especially in these super-hero movies

I spend more time swooning over Thor and Superman than I do Black Widow. These people are obnoxiously conventionally attractive.

Hollywood does nothing to make anything better... ever...

I think I'm losing my train here, but, yeah... it does kinda squick me that we keep coming back to Gal Gadot's appearance and build

I may be wrong and/or off-base, or just not as deeply bothered from the other direction. But it's kind of... ick, to me

whatevs

• Options
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    FroThulu I do appreciate you bringing it up. I think we should be careful about how we are couching these arguments that she doesn't look like WW or shouldn't be playing her to avoid falling into the trap of women never meeting the standards we set for them.

That's all I'm saying

Tom Cruise is not only tiny, but would probably crumple like a wee little puppet man in any sort of actual confrontation (that's barring Scientology-crazy), yet we just kind of buy that this little turdlet can be a total bamf in all his movies, nobody really says anything. Because he's a dude, basically, and we just kinda subconsciously seem to say "yeah, any dude can do whatever."

It does botherlike woah, that they found a conventionally attractive model to play WonderWoman, but I also kind of look at the ugly truth of Hollywood in general- everybody is pretty. Especially in these super-hero movies

I spend more time swooning over Thor and Superman than I do Black Widow. These people are obnoxiously conventionally attractive.

I think I'm losing my train here, but, yeah... it does kinda squick me that we keep coming back to Gal Gadot's appearance and build

I may be wrong and/or off-base, or just not as deeply bothered from the other direction. But it's kind of... ick, to me

whatevs

What's hurting Gadot is that even if what you're saying is true she isn't being presented like a respectable action hero in that photo, it's what I'd expect from a rom-com or a drama. That's an extra hurdle she has to cross Tom Cruise doesn't with movies like this.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    We've already seen her look respectable action lady though, in the BVS teaser posters

• Options
    We've already seen her look respectable action lady though, in the BVS teaser posters

Different movie, we're not discussing S vs B. If her solo was doing stuff like that it'd be welcome.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Gadot does look tough, just not in that photo. The few seconds she was in the BVS trailer showed it, as does the trinity posing for the poster.

Kinda, but first impressions are vital and that isn't a good first shot for that movie. WB/DC don't have as much leeway with this stuff as Marvel does.

This won't be most people's first impression though. It's rather irrelevant.

• Options

That's all I'm saying

whatevs

No Tom Cruise gets taken seriously because they disguise his height using camera techniques and because he's very good at playing a convincing badass.

Also, he's the best runner in cinema. Motherfucker does the most convincing flat out run for the camera of anyone.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Handgimp wrote: »
    I didn't realize until recently that I wanted Megan Gale to be Wonder Woman.

She was going to be wonder woman in the BvS with Armie Hammer. The dude is really upset anytime anyone brings up him playing Bruce.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    They did give her heels.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    Handgimp wrote: »
    I didn't realize until recently that I wanted Megan Gale to be Wonder Woman.

She was going to be wonder woman in the BvS with Armie Hammer. The dude is really upset anytime anyone brings up him playing Bruce.

I don't give a rusty one about Armie Hammer (ok, I admire the guy's gumption with that name), but I'd run fast to see that woman play Wonder Woman

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

It's another slight fuck up, at a time they can't afford to look anything but flawless. With a character they have a history of messing up with live action and making a movie about. It's not about Wonder Woman (she may be ok in S vs B) it's that WB have any clue of what they're doing with her solo movie.

• Options
    DevKimikoDevKimiko Registered User regular

That's all I'm saying

whatevs

What's hurting Gadot is that even if what you're saying is true she isn't being presented like a respectable action hero in that photo, it's what I'd expect from a rom-com or a drama. That's an extra hurdle she has to cross Tom Cruise doesn't with movies like this.

Lord of the Rings is a romantic comedy now?

I get that it's not the best photo but this isn't her reveal, it's just another visual layer on top of what we've seen so far. She just looks vaguely mysterious and isn't in an action pose.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I think people are reading way too much into a single promotional photo.

And all the camera tricks that they use to make Tom Cruise look more badass are gender-neutral and exactly none of them are secret camera tricks that will be unknown to the people making this film.

• Options

It's another slight fuck up, at a time they can't afford to look anything but flawless. With a character they have a history of messing up with live action and making a movie about. It's not about Wonder Woman (she may be ok in S vs B) it's that WB have any clue of what they're doing with her solo movie.

Except you can't tell any of that from this photo and the vast majority of the people responsible for whether or not the WW movie will be a hit will never see this photo or not care about it.

It's nothing.

• Options
    edited November 2015

Except you can't tell any of that from this photo and the vast majority of the people responsible for whether or not the WW movie will be a hit will never see this photo or not care about it.

It's nothing.

It's about perception, and WB needs as much good will as it can for this movie. That's whole point of that photo, to get people engaged and excited about the movie. It doesn't matter if anyone making the movie isn't involved with it, it's the first shot the public has of what to expect. Sure it's nothing by itself, and if it was just this it'd be less, well, discouraging, but this is WB we're talking about. They're not known for getting Wonder Woman right in live action.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options

It's nothing.

It's about perception, and WB needs as much good will as it can for this movie. That's whole point of that photo, to get people engaged and excited about the movie. It doesn't matter if anyone making the movie isn't involved with it, it's the first shot the public has of what to expect. Sure it's nothing by itself, and if it was just this it'd be less, well, discouraging, but this is WB we're talking about. They're not known for getting Wonder Woman right in live action.

Well maybe wait and see. The film isn't coming out until 2017.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Is there a thread I frequent where you guys aren't arguing?

Jesus

• Options

It's nothing.

It's not about perception because no one is perceiving it in any meaningful numbers. It's literally a small cadre of internet followers making a mountain out of a molehill.

• Options
    Ehhhh wait for the first trailer. Then we'll have something concrete to talk about.

• Options

It's nothing.

Well maybe wait and see. The film isn't coming out until 2017.

Sure. That doesn't change the position they're in with WW, though. They need to hit this out of the park, and to do that relies on acquiring building up excitement while it's in production. They're going to have do better than this. Sure it isn't a huge mistake, but it isn't a fantastic shot to get excited about either.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    As far as I'm concerned the film will always be hampered due to a lack of a time traveling Lynda Carter to play the role. I just want them to put the thing out and have it not be turrible and I'll probably be happy with it.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    As far as I'm concerned the film will always be hampered due to a lack of a time traveling Lynda Carter to play the role. I just want them to put the thing out and have it not be turrible and I'll probably be happy with it.

It failing means more than her not getting a sequel, the last time she failed to impress WB in the media was the animated movie. Which was a fantastic adaption and a good movie. It caused them to cancel making any movies with female leads in that division and change "Supergirl" to "Apocalypse." That's what we're dealing with here.

• Options

It failing means more than her not getting a sequel, the last time she failed to impress WB in the media was the animated movie. Which was a fantastic adaption and a good movie. It caused them to cancel making any movies with female leads in that division and change "Supergirl" to "Apocalypse." That's what we're dealing with here.

No matter how much you worry about this nothing is going to stop WB from overreacting to box office numbers and making silly decisions with their DC franchise.

Case in point: grimdark Superman

• Options

That's all I'm saying

whatevs

But they never actually show small Tom Cruise is. He's never portrayed as the "little guy." They always make him look taller than he really is. He's generally shown to be about the same height as every other guy.

It's like how they make Tony Stark look like he's only a little shorter than Thor even though Robert Downey Jr. is actually half a foot shorter than Chris Hemsworth.

They rarely ever bother to make female characters look more imposing than the actors playing them.

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
  • Options
    MrMiscreantMrMiscreant Mean motor scooter Hiding in the back seat of your carRegistered User regular

To be fair, people did make quite a bit of hay about how ridiculous it was that infamously tiny Cruise was playing the 6' 5", 250 lb Jack Reacher. Like, he's described as the largest man so and so had ever seen with some regularity. This character is the same height and weight as The Rock ... and Tom Cruise cast himself to play the role. There's a "Tom Cruise is not Jack Reacher" Facebook page with ten thousand Likes. The Telegraph ran a "Tom Cruise too short to play Jack Reacher, say fans" piece, as did the LA Times.

But I do very much agree with your overall point. (My only objection to Gadot is that she's a crummy actress.)

LIVE: CitizenZero
    PSN: CitizenXero
    NNID: TheFennec
  • Options

To be fair, people did make quite a bit of hay about how ridiculous it was that infamously tiny Cruise was playing the 6' 5", 250 lb Jack Reacher. Like, he's described as the largest man so and so had ever seen with some regularity. This character is the same height and weight as The Rock ... and Tom Cruise cast himself to play the role. There's a "Tom Cruise is not Jack Reacher" Facebook page with ten thousand Likes. The Telegraph ran a "Tom Cruise too short to play Jack Reacher, say fans" piece, as did the LA Times.

But I do very much agree with your overall point. (My only objection to Gadot is that she's a crummy actress.)

And yet he ended up being perfectly fine in that movie.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Tom Cruise is 5'8...he's not tiny and he's packed on a lot of muscle. He looks convincing as someone who can handle themselves.

One thing I don't doubt is that Snyder will make Gladot look like a bad-ass, that's not where his problems lie as a director. I'm hoping she made a kickass audition and that's why she got the part. I've never seen her in anything so I can't judge her past acting.

• Options

That's all I'm saying

whatevs

But they never actually show small Tom Cruise is. He's never portrayed as the "little guy." They always make him look taller than he really is. He's generally shown to be about the same height as every other guy.

It's like how they make Tony Stark look like he's only a little shorter than Thor even though Robert Downey Jr. is actually half a foot shorter than Chris Hemsworth.

They rarely ever bother to make female characters look more imposing than the actors playing them.

Agree, but I doubt very strongly that they're making Gal Gadot out to be "the little lady," either. She's just not a mountain, and they're not concerned with making her look like one.

I agree, a 6'3" actress playing WW would be really nice

But I can count them on...

Uh...

Which is probably a problem on its own

But unfortunately, a giantess was not cast for this role, and Gal Gadot was

Incidentally, out of the fifty or so actresses I worked with in college, only two of them met my eye level even. Neither of them went on to try to pursue it as a profession. And until recently the numbers concerning height and film/TV acting have always skewed short, aside from standout leading men.

• Options
    MrMiscreantMrMiscreant Mean motor scooter Hiding in the back seat of your carRegistered User regular

I guess? He was Tom Cruise, same as he is in everything.

So yes, the issue shouldn't be that Tom Cruise is too short to be Jack Reacher, or that Gal Gadot isn't muscular enough to be Wonder Woman; it's that he's a pretty one-note actor, and she's so wooden she makes Chris Hemsworth look like Robert Downey Jr. -- judging her appearance and body is bad form and beside the point.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Elvish (Sindarin, the same language used for "friend" in the FotR) for Wonder Woman:

Elo Arwen

Not exact, back translated it is "Woah (exclamation of wonder), (noble) Woman"

Hwiniol Arwen (Fantastic, Woman) is a little closer in spirit. There is a normal word for woman, but I think noble suits as she is a princess.

Noldorin

Elven Nī (Wonder [n], Woman)

Elvennai Nī (Wonder [adj], Woman)

Quenya

Elmenda Nis (Wonder [n], Woman)

I'm sure I've mucked something up here.

• Options

So yes, the issue shouldn't be that Tom Cruise is too short to be Jack Reacher, or that Gal Gadot isn't muscular enough to be Wonder Woman; it's that he's a pretty one-note actor, and she's so wooden she makes Chris Hemsworth look like Robert Downey Jr. -- judging her appearance and body is bad form and beside the point.

If you think Tom Cruise is a one note actor I must assume you haven't seen almost anything he's ever done and if the suppsoed problem is her acting then there's no way to discuss that till release.

• Options
    Yeah, I personally don't like Cruise but he is a competent actor with a full range. He convincingly plays everything from romantic leads to action heroes to psychotic villains. "One note" is a lame assessment of his acting skills.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

It feels weird to be saying this, but...

You're really underselling Tom Cruise as an actor. Just in 2014, there's Live Die Repeat. In it, he manages the arc from weasely little PR shit to badass hero with aplomb.

• Options

That's all I'm saying

whatevs

Agree, but I doubt very strongly that they're making Gal Gadot out to be "the little lady," either. She's just not a mountain, and they're not concerned with making her look like one.

I agree, a 6'3" actress playing WW would be really nice

But I can count them on...

Uh...

Which is probably a problem on its own

But unfortunately, a giantess was not cast for this role, and Gal Gadot was

Incidentally, out of the fifty or so actresses I worked with in college, only two of them met my eye level even. Neither of them went on to try to pursue it as a profession. And until recently the numbers concerning height and film/TV acting have always skewed short, aside from standout leading men.

Gal Gadot is on the tall side for a woman so they wouldn't portray as being small unless they tried.

However, I'm doubtful that they'll try to make her look bigger or more imposing than she really is like they do with shorter/smaller leading men.

I think we'll know with Batman v Superman since both Henry Cavill and Ben Affleck are big guys. If they're able to make it so that Gal Gadot doesn't look small next to Batman and Superman, I'll have more confidence in their ability to do the character justice.

• Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

It feels weird to be saying this, but...

You're really underselling Tom Cruise as an actor. Just in 2014, there's Live Die Repeat. In it, he manages the arc from weasely little PR shit to badass hero with aplomb.

That movie didn't really sell me on the weasely shit part of the equation though because he is Tom Cruise Action Man

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    That surprises me, because if anything I found the weasel part more interesting, engaging and convincing. Once it's Tom Cruise, Action Man, it's still a highly competent, entertaining action movie, but it's weasely Groundhog Tom (am I mixing my animal metaphors?) that won me over.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    If you think Tom Cruise is a one note actor I must assume you haven't seen almost anything he's ever done

I guess I'm just basing my opinion off that one movie where he was a cocky, hotshot pilot. No, wait, it was a cocky hotshot bartender. A cocky hotshot race car driver, maybe? Lawyer? Stockbroker? Secret agent? Military policeman? The dude even managed to be a cocky, hotshot forklift driver in War of the Worlds. But no, wait: he did wear a fat suit for Tropic Thunder. Call the Academy! :P

Anyhoo, this seems like a weird derail.
    and if the suppsoed problem is her acting then there's no way to discuss that till release.

No? Is basing your expectations of someone's upcoming work on what you've seen from them previously not "a thing" anymore? Because Wonder Woman isn't her first role, and I'm pretty sure I've seen people discussing Suicide Squad in relation to other David Ayers' movies, and BvS vis a vis other Zack Snyder movies, all throughout the thread.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    When it comes to Tom Cruise roles there's only room for one in my heart.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Odd8Zdhuj9o

• Options
    If you think Tom Cruise is a one note actor I must assume you haven't seen almost anything he's ever done

I guess I'm just basing my opinion off that one movie where he was a cocky, hotshot pilot. No, wait, it was a cocky hotshot bartender. A cocky hotshot race car driver, maybe? Lawyer? Stockbroker? Secret agent? Military policeman? The dude even managed to be a cocky, hotshot forklift driver in War of the Worlds. But no, wait: he did wear a fat suit for Tropic Thunder. Call the Academy! :P

Except he's not a cocky hotshot in War of the Worlds. Or Tropic Thunder. Or Jack Reacher. Or Edge of Tomorrow. Or Oblivion.

You are literally just repeating a stupid meme with no thought but into it at all.