As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SWTOR] Next chapter of KotFE coming March 10: Disavowed

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    And although I only play dude characters myself, I've certainly heard all the voices many times. My other recommendations for people who are just as happy to play a character of either sex is:

Women: Trooper, Warrior, Consular
    Men: Smuggler, Bounty Hunter

I'm not particularly fond of either VA for Knight, and I think both Inquisitor VAs are alright, though neither is exceptional. The male Consular voice, and the female Smuggler voice are both particularly bad IMO. The male trooper voice isn't bad, but the female (Jennifer Hale) is greatly superior. As a male Consular you may find yourself slipping to the dark side simply because that's the only way it will ever sound like your character gives a shit about anything, ever. The dude voice for Smuggler and BH are both especially good, but the female BH isn't bad, whereas the female smuggler is equivalently poor as to be the female equivalent of the male Consular.

-edit-

Forgot to mention, male Warrior sounds terminally bored but it does have its moments. The female Warrior sounds much, much more like a perspective Dark Lord, quite menacing when she's saying evil lines.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I actually like both male and female smuggler, and both male and female trooper. But I agree with you about Consular, neither one of them impressed me. I feel pretty much the same about both male and female knight. I'm not even sure it was the actors' and actresses' fault, the material they had to work with was mostly pretty boring.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I actually like both male and female smuggler, and both male and female trooper. But I agree with you about Consular, neither one of them impressed me. I feel pretty much the same about both male and female knight. I'm not even sure it was the actors' and actresses' fault, the material they had to work with was mostly pretty boring.

Maybe my perspective is flawed from only experiencing the femwarrior through group content, but she does sound to me to be more vicious, more menacing overall.

I wasn't joking when I said the male Warrior sounds bored all the time. Even when he's pronouncing doom on the huddled masses, he sounds like he just doesn't give a damn. Possibly actor fatigue from having to read so many lines.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

Maybe my perspective is flawed from only experiencing the femwarrior through group content, but she does sound to me to be more vicious, more menacing overall.

I wasn't joking when I said the male Warrior sounds bored all the time. Even when he's pronouncing doom on the huddled masses, he sounds like he just doesn't give a damn. Possibly actor fatigue from having to read so many lines.

Oh man I loved male Warrior. I wouldn't say he sounded bored so much as blase. I thought it was a fine interpretation of Sithy wickedness. Also the voice is sexy, so.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Oh, and strangely I have no opinion of the femagent. I just haven't heard enough of her. The dudeagent is great.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Male Bounty Hunter's voice is great. He sounds so mean.

Hale is always good, though her material isn't great. I'm not too impressed with maletrooper (I've started one as a crafting alt).

I quite enjoyed Femsmuggler, Femquisitor (so snide!!!!) and Femagent.

• Options
    I loved FemAgent, but probably that's because she's Hawke.

• Options
    The male trooper sounds like a G.I. Joe character, which I guess was intentional, but it wears on you. It surely doesn't help that my trooper is a Commando, which I learned too late is my least favorite class in the game. My level 50 Bounty Hunter is also a... whatever the BH version of Commando is. Such a chore to level. I finally retired him to crafting and started a Powertech, which is so much more enjoyable.

• Options
    The Male trooper is goddamn Varric Tethras, as such he can do no wrong in my eyes.

Also I love commando dps, it's fantastic.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I tried very hard to like Corso, and ignore his negative aspects.

But stuff like the Pollaran flirt interruptions really put a damper on my Vette clone's ability to actually play the Smuggler man in every port role and that wasn't going to fly.

488W936.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Do I have to roll a femsmuggler just to see these Corso interrupts? Do I dare?

I'm sure I could hate Corso more, but I'm not sure I would survive the process.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Youtube it. Don't subject yourself to spending time on Corso.

• Options
    VisskarVisskar Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Male Bounty Hunter's voice is great. He sounds so mean.

Hale is always good, though her material isn't great. I'm not too impressed with maletrooper (I've started one as a crafting alt).

I quite enjoyed Femsmuggler, Femquisitor (so snide!!!!) and Femagent.

I created a male Trooper/Commando when the game first came out to play with my wife's Smuggler on a secondary server from where my friends were playing (friends were on a PVP server). Got him into the 40s, but stalled out playing him. With the 12x, decided to go back and play another Trooper, going the Vanguard route since I had just leveled a Mercenary to 60. As soon as I found out that she was Hale I was sold on her being my one, true Trooper.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbICC3x1Pm8

All I could find was a version where the smuggler was romancing Corso while trying to make him jealous, it's still pretty bad. Didn't find one where he just jumps in on a non-romanced smuggler, which I assume is far more obnoxious.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbICC3x1Pm8

All I could find was a version where the smuggler was romancing Corso while trying to make him jealous, it's still pretty bad. Didn't find one where he just jumps in on a non-romanced smuggler, which I assume is far more obnoxious.

It is infuriating.

The first time it happened I wanted to smack him.

From then on out I wanted to airlock him.

• Options
    Corso, you're not my husbando, and if you were my husbando, it would be an open relationship so we could both bang our way around the galaxy.

Smugglers gonna smug!

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    And yet ironically, people with even worse personalities, like oh I dunno Kaliyo, are popular because reasons and deviantart.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Astale wrote: »
    And yet ironically, people with even worse personalities, like oh I dunno Kaliyo, are popular because reasons and deviantart.

Because she's entertainingly awful?

• Options
    Owenashi wrote: »

She's always down for mayhem. I appreciate that when I'm trying to fuck the Empire sideways.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »

Yeah, I once called, in this very thread, Corso a human garbage fire. That's not fair, to garbage fires, because watching shit burn can be entertaining.

Kaliyo is the garbage fire character. She's just so awful, and yet so awesome at being awful. She knows what she is, and she doesn't care; she loves being trash. (Her romance is basically her learning from an agent she doesn't have to be a garbage fire to be entertainingly destructive.)

Corso is, like, a rock. One of those rocks that might be chemically useful but is boring as fuck. Just a dull, lumpen gray object. And occasionally one trips you up or smacks into your head and you get incredibly angry.

• Options

Kaliyo is a fantastic companion, probably my favorite dark side leaning companion. She's a selfish, borderline psychotic anarchist. She's well written and her story has a lot of twists and turns to it. She's also a compulsive liar, which makes things interesting from a narrative standpoint, because you really cannot trust what she says.

Corso is a failed attempt to write a down home country boy. Failed, because if you've ever met an actual redneck farm boy you'd know they talk about 90% less than Corso. He's a reject inner city youth who spent a summer in Oklahoma and came back trying to impress his friends with how he'd absorbed the culture when in actuality he's just embarrassing himself.

Also he gives stupid names to guns.

• Options
    If you want to see the 'country boy' companion actually done right, pick up Pillars of Eternity.

427964032.jpg

His name is Eder, and he will make you weak in the knees when he talks, unlike Corso who just makes you want to shoot his knee out.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    ...speaking of companions making you weak in the knees, I just had a thought. A possibly-enraging, possibly-enrapturing thought, depending on how completionist you've been so far.

What if part of Bioware's updates for the old companions include making SGR possible, at least for some of them?

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    That trailer gave me an urge to try SW:TOR again. *downloads*

...oh hey I get 100 spacebucks a month just for having an authenticator, so I have 3500 spacebucks waiting for me.

• Options
    Shadowen wrote: »
    ...speaking of companions making you weak in the knees, I just had a thought. A possibly-enraging, possibly-enrapturing thought, depending on how completionist you've been so far.

What if part of Bioware's updates for the old companions include making SGR possible, at least for some of them?

Pretty doubtful tbh. Unless they are going to reset all companion conversations or something. Also I would be sort of annoyed if suddenly SGR became available and all my characters are trapped in hetero romances (not all of them, but some).

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular

Kaliyo is a fantastic companion, probably my favorite dark side leaning companion. She's a selfish, borderline psychotic anarchist. She's well written and her story has a lot of twists and turns to it. She's also a compulsive liar, which makes things interesting from a narrative standpoint, because you really cannot trust what she says.

Corso is a failed attempt to write a down home country boy. Failed, because if you've ever met an actual redneck farm boy you'd know they talk about 90% less than Corso. He's a reject inner city youth who spent a summer in Oklahoma and came back trying to impress his friends with how he'd absorbed the culture when in actuality he's just embarrassing himself.

Also he gives stupid names to guns.

The best part about Kaliyo is that she likes you MORE when you explicitly don't trust her.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    So my Shadow is 50. Do I need to buy any expansions to keep leveling?

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Echo wrote: »
    So my Shadow is 50. Do I need to buy any expansions to keep leveling?

If you're a subscriber, you get the expansion to 55 for free, but you'll have to wait until October 27 to get the other expansions free. If you're not a subscriber, then you would have to buy 2 expansions to get to 60, the current cap, and it doesn't look like currently that you can get access to the upcoming expansion to 65 at all, unless you're a subscriber.

However, I believe that once you have the expansions, you get to keep them even if you unsub.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    VisskarVisskar Registered User regular
    And if you do opt to buy the expansions, etc, I would suggest this bundle from Amazon. Both expansions, 2400 coins, and 2 months play for $39.99.

http://www.amazon.com/SWTOR-Amazon-STAR-Bundle-Online/dp/B00T8NURF8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434472032&sr=8-1&keywords=SWTOR+Amazon+bundle

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Big_Red_FreakBig_Red_Freak go. big. red. Registered User new member
    *watches cinematics*

... very interesting...

• Options
    However, I believe that once you have the expansions, you get to keep them even if you unsub.

This is correct. Also, any artifact-level equipment you have obtained (and bound to you?) prior to unsubscribing is still equipable.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I'm not a sub, but I have Hutt Cartel from when I was. I *think* if you just buy Revan, you get Hutts for free as well, but I am not dead certain of that.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    I'm not a sub, but I have Hutt Cartel from when I was. I *think* if you just buy Revan, you get Hutts for free as well, but I am not dead certain of that.

You should; Revan takes you to 60, and you need to get to 55 before 60...

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    With 12x XP, I've suddenly found myself with a lot more high level characters than I had before (and a lot more on the way), and I really wanted to streamline the affection/crew skill grind. So, I did a little research and found a couple of invaluable guides:

This explains how to quickly get your companions from 0 to 6000 affection for 37.2K CR and without burning any valuable blue/purple rank 5 gifts in the process. As the guide explains, getting a companion to 6K affection is super cheap. To get them from 6K to 10K requires the more expensive ranks of gifts. Thus, my corollary to this guide is to rush your new companions to 6K as soon as you get them. That way, all quest affection gains will reduce the amount you have to spend to get them all the way up to 10K.

This explains which crew skills to pick for which class. It matches classes to crew skills based on companion bonuses as much as possible while also accounting for the fact that you're probably going to only want one of each crafting crew skill.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Yes if you buy revan expansion it includes the hutt expansion so basically 20 bucks if you are not a subscriber for both which is very reasonable.

• Options
    Orca wrote: »

This is correct. Also, any artifact-level equipment you have obtained (and bound to you?) prior to unsubscribing is still equipable.

And you can spend fun bucks to unlock it so if you have an authenticator you probably will have enough fun bucks to unlock the artifact level equipment stuff.

• Options
    Papagander wrote: »
    The idea that SWTOR's story focus could be coming back in a big way is exciting. All of this outlander seems to be meshing the story into one package though, even removing the bipolar Republic/Imperial sides. I mean, obviously its way too early to tell. I guess as long as it's good 1 continuous story is better than 8 amazing but abandoned ones. I really want to come back to this game in a big way, but I think I'm going to sit on the fence until we see what these chapters turn out to contain.

Cautiously optimistic.

(and yeah, I'd love to see Quinn's grave, hear of Corso's accidental airlock 'defenestration', and Skadge....well. Skadge can be alive so long as I can rewrite ever picking him up from the hell-hole I hope he's forever trapped in. I should hate him but really I just never wanted anything to do with him).

I think it probably was a wise choice. Doing voice over work and scripts for 8 different stories and then keep refreshing them is next to impossible budget wise but getting one really good quality story is something they can pull off and I would rather have one new story that progresses than 8 dead ends.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure it's going to be one overall story with "quirks" for each class.

Like I'm 100% sure the big things will get mentioned.
    Like Consular and Inquisitor both on their respective council's, Knight's killing of one of the bodies of the emperor, Sith Warrior being the Emperor's Wrath, Trooper being the leader of Havoc squad, ect.

But the overall thematic's will probably be united, with probably slight variations depending on what class you're playing for the endgame(I can't see the smuggler getting into a one on one fight with robokidarth, but Sith Warrior? Oh yes.).

• Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular

2:28. That was the cut-scene. I was all alone in the room when suddenly CORSO.

And yeah, I rolled a female so I could get the Full Corso Experience™. If only they'd just make everyone in a galaxy far far away sexually adventurous. Then I could roll a male Smuggler, not constantly be hearing Lil/Phil Pickles, and still torment Corso by being Captain Jack Harkness.

This discussion has been closed.