As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BattleBots] - A New Dawn in the East: King of Bots

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I hate lift bots, but I respect Bronco for going full hog with it. Not just some tip it 51% to fall over like every lift bot ever so stupid and dumb, it wants to launch the enemy into the air and get kinetic energy damage bonus modifier x 20%.

I keep thinking a new weapon for a robot should have some kind of modified airbag to deploy as a weapon, just boom blow the enemy to the other side and flip it and roll it over. Takata could sponsor them.

Crash Test Dummy tried to do this back in the CC days.
    It had to remove the air bags because with no way to retract them they'd serve as entanglement devices, which as we saw with Complete Control aren't entertaining to watch even when they're not technically against the rules.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I can't recall from the show all those years ago, but has one of those side hammers ever actually shut down a bot? I swear they are there for the "OH NO!!!" but I can't recall they ever destroyed something.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    TIL that Tombstone is basically a remake of Last Rites. Last Rites was lighter than Tombstone but was still considered one of the most damaging bot at its time and is in the Combat Robot Hall of Fame because of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztQpwI1KfEk

I really look forward to seeing more of Tombstone.

• Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Preacher wrote: »
    I can't recall from the show all those years ago, but has one of those side hammers ever actually shut down a bot? I swear they are there for the "OH NO!!!" but I can't recall they ever destroyed something.

I was wondering the same thing last night. They might as well be inflatable bop'em hammers for all the power they have behind them.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I hate lift bots, but I respect Bronco for going full hog with it. Not just some tip it 51% to fall over like every lift bot ever so stupid and dumb, it wants to launch the enemy into the air and get kinetic energy damage bonus modifier x 20%.

Toro and T-Minus from the original battle-bots worked like this. They were some of the most fun matches.

Cog on
  • Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Cog wrote: »

Toro and T-Minus from the original battle-bots worked like this. They were some of the most fun matches.

Technically speaking Warrior Clan's big robot is a surprisingly potent flipper (as in launch a robot a few feet up), where it harnesses the stored kinetic energy from its spinning ring weapon for more precise attacks. We just haven't seen a match where it was able to showcase that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs36Lv8P_1o

Emissary42 on
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Tombstone is my waifu. It's the epitome of what Battlebots should be; a Knightmare without an enormous unfixed design flaw. It's so much more fun to watch a Bronco or a Tombstone rather than another wedge with a lip service weapon bolted on at the last minute.

Also, some of these robots could really benefit from some engineering, having a spinner bot with a main weapon made out of what looked like thin sheet metal held together by rivets is insane.

• Options
    Seal wrote: »
    Tombstone is my waifu. It's the epitome of what Battlebots should be; a Knightmare without an enormous unfixed design flaw. It's so much more fun to watch a Bronco or a Tombstone rather than another wedge with a lip service weapon bolted on at the last minute.

Also, some of these robots could really benefit from some engineering, having a spinner bot with a main weapon made out of what looked like thin sheet metal held together by rivets is insane.

What's Tombstone's design flaw?

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Seal wrote: »

What's Tombstone's design flaw?

Their saying that nightmare is the one with the design flaw, that it's a vertical spinner and it falls over easy. So watching tombstone is like nightmare in the aggression and damage, but much more reliable.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    I don't see a problem with Tombstone tearing up Counter Revolution because the match wasn't over yet and you don't stop destroying until the bell rings right? Also, can a team throw in the towel and stop the match themselves? Say CR could tell that something was fried and they were dead in the water and didn't want Tombstone to come over and completely obliterate them so they concede and beg mercy. But I mean, you put your robot into a death pit with a lawnmower and you can't cry too much if you get shredded IMO.

Overhaul had reason to complain too if you ask me, the match was over and the buzzer clearly rang and he just kept going at it. There's supposed to be some sportsmanship here, what if Nightmare or Tombstone pulled that kind of shit? It only takes them one good shot to kill a robot sometimes.

Which brings me to no wild card spot for Nightmare???!? I am unhappy with that. :(
    15%2B-%2B1

• Options
    Yeah nightmare getting no spot but witch doctor did? that's some bullshit. Witch Doctor went down quickly and didn't blow up anything.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    It feels like the Network bullshit on that one. Reminds me of the first season of Last Comic Standing.

• Options
    Yeah I can't help but think the stupid get ups of Witch Doctor factored in, but to me I care so little about the drivers and more about their bots. Witch doctor was boring. Sure her little flame bot did something cool, but it wasn't blow up a bot cool!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I think there should have just been a loser bracket where the top 4 moved on to the main bracket.

None of this arbitrary subjective choosing crap.

• Options
    From my sources within the field of builders, the tournament runners asked who wanted to be considered for a Wildcard slot (there were several alternates that probably applied that aren't in the regular tournament; Counter Revolution was an alternate for Beta). It's possible Nightmare didn't apply, but they did get a three-way grudge match that should be pretty kickass, as I've mentioned previously.

We also have the rules for this tournament! There seems to have been enough pressure to get them out in the open, and after looking through they did gloss over some sections a bit much. If you intend to apply for a [very likely] season 2 slot, wait for those rules before building something.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I hate the mini bots. They are so useless so far and just seem like gimmicks. It also kinda rubbed me oddly that episode 1 showed three fights and then we hurried through the rest in episode two. I kinda feel that Witch Doctor and Chomp got in because of their women drivers to help promote women in the sport. Which is fine if Witch Doctor had a better showing. I would have rather seen Nightmare get in then WD.

Also, if you have a spinner like Captain Shrederator, make sure you can drive upside down. That seems so rookie when you watch Battlebots and Robot Wars for so long.

• Options
    Rules look pretty standard to other robot fighting leagues, maybe a little vague in some places.

I wonder if anyone will try a projectile for season 2.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    Emissary42 wrote: »
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I thought Tombstone getting a few extra hits after the other robot was clearly DOA was a more dick move.
    kaid wrote: »
    The driver was talking to the refs and kept hitting until refs called it so sad for the victim but the driver of tombstone was doing what he was supposed to do. He could have ripped it up a LOT more than he did.

I actually saw that as Tombstone's operator asking the other team's driver. Counter Revolution was dead, as in unable to even consider competing until a full chassis rebuild had occurred, so why not have some fun with it? It's not that uncommon if your robot is already so thoroughly trashed to let your opponent put on a bit of a show.

It is kind of a weird juxtaposition of robot fight manners though.
    Tombstone vs. Counter Revolution: the wheels are gone, chassis is shattered and the magic smoke has escaped from at least some of the electronics in the first 30 seconds of the match? Let's keep hitting it so bits fly around the arena to put on a show, instead of backing off to minimize further damage.

Overhaul vs. Lockjaw: Three minutes are up, both bots are more or less intact despite giving each other a full tour of all the battlebox hazards, one late hit and a bit of a drag to the middle of the box with a more or less intact bot? Get all pissed off and refuse to shake hands.

There is a difference between hitting a bot while the 10 count is going on and hitting after the match is done is big. Now, Robot Wars used to not care and you would see bot still trashing the dead bot for a full minute afterwards (or the house bots would keep trashing both if both died). So I guess it comes down to how you feel about it. Personally I wouldn't care if I had a bot get trashed afterwards. If I can't handle my bot getting trashed then I shouldn't bring it to a place full of saws and hammers.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    From my sources within the field of builders, the tournament runners asked who wanted to be considered for a Wildcard slot (there were several alternates that probably applied that aren't in the regular tournament; Counter Revolution was an alternate for Beta). It's possible Nightmare didn't apply, but they did get a three-way grudge match that should be pretty kickass, as I've mentioned previously.

We also have the rules for this tournament! There seems to have been enough pressure to get them out in the open, and after looking through they did gloss over some sections a bit much. If you intend to apply for a [very likely] season 2 slot, wait for those rules before building something.
    Prohibited Materials
    This is not a comprehensive list. Be sensible. Check with BattleBots if you are unsure whether or not materials used on your bot may be prohibited.
    •Radioactive materials.
    •Hazardous loose fibers (asbestos, etc.). Carbon or fiberglass composites are OK.
    •Toxic or reactive metals (e.g., Cadmium, Mercury, Lithium), except in batteries.
    Organic anything (except in batteries).

So no wood, bamboo, cute kitten meatshields, or cybernetic organisms. Got it.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    That's funny. They used to allow plywood on bots. Completely useless as armor but some used under the bots just to keep scrap metal from bouncing inside the bots.

• Options
    That's funny. They used to allow plywood on bots. Completely useless as armor but some used under the bots just to keep scrap metal from bouncing inside the bots.

I would guess they don't want to deal with all the cleanup that a bot with wood in it would produce in a battle vs. a spinner.

But I do know some bots also used to use tube steel/aluminum and then stuff the middle with a block of wood to give it a little more strength.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Fire weaponry a likely reason for the rule?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Fire weaponry a likely reason for the rule?

That makes the most sense to me too.

An old standby has been resurrected: BattleBots Update. They only have the first episode worth of content up so far, but it's an entertaining take on the competition, competitors, and match-ups.

• Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »

Prohibited Materials
    This is not a comprehensive list. Be sensible. Check with BattleBots if you are unsure whether or not materials used on your bot may be prohibited.
    •Radioactive materials.
    •Hazardous loose fibers (asbestos, etc.). Carbon or fiberglass composites are OK.
    •Toxic or reactive metals (e.g., Cadmium, Mercury, Lithium), except in batteries.
    Organic anything (except in batteries).

So no wood, bamboo, cute kitten meatshields, or cybernetic organisms. Got it.
    Potato batteries? Good to go.

• Options
    See I would think they could have gotten the net guys on having hazardous loose materials, that being they had a package that was specifically a net.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    See I would think they could have gotten the net guys on having hazardous loose materials, that being they had a package that was specifically a net.
    Yeah, I'm pretty certain that the net would be reasonably covered by "and such", especially with a veteran team that's seen "No entangling bullshit" as a rule for the past decade or so. I mean, sure, they could have worded it better to include "any item intended to entangle the target bot or weapon".

• Options
    They should have a rule of "make the fight interesting" that way they could kick someone out for being boring as hell. God damn it I'm watching on TV on a sunday, don't put me to sleep!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Seeing the rules and the ambiguity there, I agree that the rematch was the way to go.

Also, I'm curious if they were far enough below the weight limit to have room to add the "present".

• Options
    Well seeing as their robot smacked into the floor and disabled itself, maybe they should have set aside some weight for shock absorbers.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    You know what would have been the best way to do the "Wild Card" match? Battle Royal! 16 bots enter, only the last 4 moving make it to the next stage. So much more interesting TV there!

• Options
    You know what would have been the best way to do the "Wild Card" match? Battle Royal! 16 bots enter, only the last 4 moving make it to the next stage. So much more interesting TV there!

didn't the other robot shows stop doing rumbles because so much debris was thrown around it was becoming a danger to the crowd?

Though maybe with the new thicker walls on this battlebox it would be ok now.

• Options
    I could see not doing rumbles if only because it doesn't let you really have that one on one to prove robot dominance.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Foomy wrote: »

didn't the other robot shows stop doing rumbles because so much debris was thrown around it was becoming a danger to the crowd?

Though maybe with the new thicker walls on this battlebox it would be ok now.

Rumbles haven't been an issue for some time, mainly because the battlebox is strong enough to take direct hits from pretty much any weapon inside the arena. The real issues are crowding and an extremely high chance of your robot being destroyed because you can't maneuver as well in such a cramped environment. Imagine seven other robots trapped in a box with Tombstone or Icewave. Most rumbles are also held later in tournaments because of this, plus there is a minimum turn-around time for any robot (charging batteries, minor repairs, etc) that doesn't get hidden by the other matches when you're entering the semifinal and final rounds.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I hope next week's episode cuts back a bit on some of the gimmicks in the editing to fill time

I thought the first episode was better in that regard

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    More Icewaves and Tombstones smashing bots and all will be right with the world. All the cheesy outfits and staged drama will just melt away.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    I want to see a matchup between icewave and tombstone but they may need to reinforce the arena for the roboexplosion that happens when those two meet.

• Options
    kaid wrote: »
    I want to see a matchup between icewave and tombstone but they may need to reinforce the arena for the roboexplosion that happens when those two meet.

good chance those 2 meet somewhere along the way as long as they don't destroy themselves.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I'd point out that the box doesn't just need to be strong enough to withstand a blow from any given weapon, but also from the forces of two or more weapons or from the energy of a weapon imparted on a small piece of debris.

I'm sure it'll be fine

• Options
    edited July 2015
    TL DR wrote: »
    I'd point out that the box doesn't just need to be strong enough to withstand a blow from any given weapon, but also from the forces of two or more weapons or from the energy of a weapon imparted on a small piece of debris.

I'm sure it'll be fine

The box is 1.25" thick lexan with a steel frame. While it's not impossible debris could breach it, it's very unlikely. I've personally watched as two shell spinners (think Blendo) slammed into each other and ricochet four feet off the ground into the arena walls on the opposite sides of the arena, bounced off and came to a halt ten feet later. They then began to spin up again to repeat the process until one had its bearing or transmission crap out. The lexan was not sufficiently damaged to warrant a pause in competition to replace the panels that got hit.

Emissary42 on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    is the arena's ceiling flush with the walls? I wasn't sure when watching the last two eps, I'd be worried about stuff going up and over possibly

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List