Options

Our furry companions (nsf56k)

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    So my coworker is getting kicked out of her aunt's house for...reasons, I don't quite understand, but she can't bring her dog to live with her at her dad's while she gets back on her feet to save money for first/last/deposit for a new place. Had her doggo meet my mom's doggos and they got along really well! So my mom will be able to be a foster mom for a couple months. I was really apprehensive because one of the dogs is really, really possessive and territorial, but I guess that only applies to humans?

Dogs are weird. And great. And sometimes smart but also sometimes dumb and sometimes both at the same time! It's all very confusing.

• Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    Skwigelf wrote: »

qTc2mKx.jpg?1

Clawception!

RNZUvz4.jpg?1

• Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular

qTc2mKx.jpg?1

Clawception!

RNZUvz4.jpg?1

OSZzsbW.jpg?1

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    xivuwV4.jpg?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    I just had the one year anniversary of my time with Gura.

NIjqm8d.jpg

ORPvsrY.jpg

How'd I get to here from this?

UTByQc1.jpg

Well I'm solidly team dog now, as I just wrapped up dogsitting two other dogs for three weeks.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    xjUOkVo.jpg

2 Hours later...

1tKTrFY.jpg
    rBRt40c.jpg

edit: Hour 3 of lazy cuddleboys...

yFBrOjv.jpg?1

2nd edit: They're gonna be there all day, aren't they?

QDWmudN.jpg?1

Skwigelf on
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    If you imagine that but eight times bigger that is essentially my dog.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Mabel is flagrantly breaching the Australian defence force academy code of conduct and may be up for a court martial

9083h9t8twhf.jpg

Stepping on the grass on an American military post is known to summon angry sergeants major from thin air. Either their Australian counterparts are much more chill, or not even the crustiest sergeant major can be mad at Mabel. Probably the latter.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

Or my ferrets if I ever wear shoes or socks.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    What do you guys do for strong chewing dogs?

Every second day we alternate between a bone and a frozen chicken carcass. But I'd also like to have an indoor suitable chew snack that I could give him.

I've tried denta sticks which he knocked off in less than two minutes and he is now no longer interested in them and I've just tried Greenies which supposedly last for longer but he knocked them off in the same amount of time.

I've got some roo jerky that I'm going to give a go next but it is pretty expensive and the pet store recommended kangaroo tendons, but they are harder to get hold of.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Tried a rawhide chew?

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    We get hard yak cheese chews for Snoopy and they take him a while to get through.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

Every second day we alternate between a bone and a frozen chicken carcass. But I'd also like to have an indoor suitable chew snack that I could give him.

I've tried denta sticks which he knocked off in less than two minutes and he is now no longer interested in them and I've just tried Greenies which supposedly last for longer but he knocked them off in the same amount of time.

I've got some roo jerky that I'm going to give a go next but it is pretty expensive and the pet store recommended kangaroo tendons, but they are harder to get hold of.

Like Bodhi, our dogs polish off denta sticks in under a minute, fortunately they love them anyway. Pigs ears take at least 3-5. We sometimes use the largest Whimsies available (https://www.whimzees.com/), but even they probably only last 5-10 (it's hard to tell exactly because the dogs have to eat them in a Secret Place and will stop chewing if you look at them).

Based on experience, I don't think you're going to get much more than a few minutes from roo tendon. If you really want to splurge, you could buy a deer antler, but they're really bloody expensive and I dunno if they'd be any less messy than bone.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Yeah the pet shop person I met the first time (when I picked up Dentastix) did mention Whimzees as being good options. Basically anything that takes 10+ minutes is good enough, 15+ is better.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    It's probably worth giving them a go, they're supposed to last most dogs a while

(Mabel once discovered where the box was kept and ate 13 in a few hours. She probably could have got through a lot more, but she got thirsty halfway through and woke up my brother in law to get him to refill her water bowl. Hoist by her own petard on that one).

• Options
    edited January 2018
    How quickly is a medium sized dog meant to go through some of the more common chew treats? Gura is 50 lbs, and can finish a 12" bullystick in under ten minutes, he's also never met a stuffed toy he didn't render into cotton batting the same day.

user on
  • Options
    The idea of chew snacks is that they chew them for around 10-15 minutes for good teeth and gums.

• Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    They make nylabones for strong chewers. My dog isn't that strong a chewer and really enjoys the little raw hide substitutes:

1068852.jpg

I have no issues with him chewing them. He chews when he feels he needs to, and then when a side gets worn down and gross, I toss the bone and switch it with a fresh one. But fair warning- my sister's yorkie will chew until her gums bleed, bite off chunks too big to safely pass through her system, and then puke all night. So you need to watch how your dogs are with the bones before you let them have a nylabone unsupervised.

Another option, would be a really tough toy made of leather. My dog has a little leather toy shaped like a cowhead (he tore off a leather and rope cow-tug toy) and he'll chew that at my parents' when I can't let him have nylabones because of the yorkie.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    Tried a rawhide chew?

These are good and last a long time, but when chewed inside can result in goopy messes on the floor.

• Options
    The roo jerky set a new record!

Two minutes forty five!

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Lola devastates dental snacks. The vet says her teeth are exquisite though so I guess it's working.

I find nylabone rubber chews are pretty indestructible but she loses interest real quick. Some dogs just rnjoy tearing toys apart quickly

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Yeah, the only toys that Bodhi digs are super soft ones (and now that much) so he doesn't get much teeth and gum exercise from this.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

Hard rubber toys, like Kongs work pretty well. You can go softer if the dog doesn't like hard toys, but usually something more elastic with some give is enough to fulfill that chewing craving

For his size, Lando is an extremely strong and persistent chewer. If we get him a toy that can conceivably be destroyed, he absolutely fixates on it, until he achieves total destruction. The only things we've found so far that will both keep his attention and not succumb to his wanton slaughter of anything that squeaks, is a kong toy, a hard rubber bone, and a softer rubber frisbee

Javen on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular

I had a dog that made it very difficult to get upstairs to my room without stepping on him, every day after school.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Javen wrote: »

Hard rubber toys, like Kongs work pretty well. You can go softer if the dog doesn't like hard toys, but usually something more elastic with some give is enough to fulfill that chewing craving

Yeah, again though Bodhi isn't keen on chewing the Kong, He's more of a kind of licker to get in there kind of dog with those and if it is stuck, or tough to get out, he doesn't really go for it.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2018
    There's something cosmically unfair about your dog getting to sleep in as you get ready for work.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I forgot about nylabones - they're pretty solid. They come in several flavours, so you can try a few and see if they take - mabel loves hers but usch isn't really interested.

At this point we just give Uschi a lot of denta sticks over the week. Each one doesn't take that long but we figure cumulatively it's getting there. His teeth are pretty good. Plus he has bones, and whatever horrible carcass he finds on the mountain.

tynic on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    bowen wrote: »

the sheets just aren't deep enough. I appreciate the thought though.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    I forgot about nylabones - they're pretty solid. They come in several flavours, so you can try a few and see if they take - mabel loves hers but usch isn't really interested.

At this point we just give Uschi a lot of denta sticks over the week. Each one doesn't take that long but we figure cumulatively it's getting there. His teeth are pretty good. Plus he has bones, and whatever horrible carcass he finds on the mountain.

Some vets act like nylabones are teeth wreckers but I've never seen that. Rosie is a rather intense chewer and so far she's been fine with them. Like she really wears them down. There's a ring one that i get her and she wears it like a bracelet as she gnaws away.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Dentasticks don't take Darcy long but that's kinda what we want, she can get a bit possessive of bones and stuff that last longer and we figure this is the best way to deal with it.

Toys she mostly ignores, she started playing fetch once and that lasted a few days but otherwise will sometimes halfheartedly chase something.

If something squeaks though, nothing else exists until it is destroyed.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    So I gave him a pig ear and that took him almost 11 minutes!

Which seems like a winner, but word on the internet is that they are pretty fatty and shouldn't really be an every second day thing, I have though also found a place that sells free (plus shipping, but it is cheap enough) roo tendons so we will give those a go and I might look into shark skin and bully sticks as well.

Blake T on
  • Options
    So I gave him a pig ear and that took him almost 11 minutes!

Which seems like a winner, but word on the internet is that they are pretty fatty and shouldn't really be an every second day thing, I have though also found a place that sells free (plus shipping, but it is cheap enough) roo tendons so we will give those a go and I might look into shark skin and bully sticks as well.

Pigs ears lasted gus all of 15 seconds. I think it was his last treat.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Bully sticks are pretty good for stronger chewers too, and can usually last 30 minutes or so against a really strong chewer

• Options
  • Options
    Haha that's so cute. I wish my dog would let some stuff toys survive.

• Options
    how long is the teddy berner going to last? Seems to be in good condition still

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    The only stuffed animal my dog never managed to destroy was a child's teddy bear that had been abandoned at the hospital where my dad works. Every toy actually built for dogs was very quickly dissected but that bear was tough.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    The only stuffed animal my dog never managed to destroy was a child's teddy bear that had been abandoned at the hospital where my dad works. Every toy actually built for dogs was very quickly dissected but that bear was tough.

Maybe pupper had a 6th sense and doesn't want to destroy the thing all those children loved?

This discussion has been closed.