As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Our furry companions (nsf56k)

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2018
    bowen wrote: »
    how long is the teddy berner going to last? Seems to be in good condition still

He's had it a long time. It would last a lot longer if he didn't insist on taking it to dog park where other dogs try and play tug-of-war with it. The tail is now missing.
    Left to his own devices, fake berners seem to be under the Not For Destruction umbrella, along with his first teddy bear, and any rubber pig.

For Christmas, we got him an outsized stuffed berner from Ikea, which is nearly as big as he is. I don't know if I can accurately convey the joy and anticipation when he saw it on Christmas morning - imagine a slack-jawed Dickensian urchin staring at a roast goose.

tynic on
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    The only stuffed animal my dog never managed to destroy was a child's teddy bear that had been abandoned at the hospital where my dad works. Every toy actually built for dogs was very quickly dissected but that bear was tough.

Maybe pupper had a 6th sense and doesn't want to destroy the thing all those children loved?

I think the stitching was just too deep for him to get a good grab at a seam

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited January 2018
    I just realised I never posted this Uschi story in here, and I'm waiting on like three processes so I'm gonna write it down so it can be brought out at family gatherings in front of his grandmother to embarrass him.

There's a dog around the corner from my parents house whom Uschi has never formally met, but he thinks is his best friend.
    This dog lives behind a big fence. Whenever we go past the house the dog gets agitated. Sometimes she barks, sometimes she hides. Whatever emotion is happening here, it clearly does not involve a desire to be best buds with a Professional Nonsense Dog, but since Usch is apparently a disaster at reading social cues he just KNOWS that this dog and he are SOULMATES and it's only his dastardly owners that are keeping them apart.

sometimes I wonder whether if he were a human he'd wear a fedora.
    Anyway.

One day we were walking past this house and the owners had visitors. And these visitors had a dog (dog B). And this dog was apparently going to be dropped off to stay with them for a while. So Uschi saw ANOTHER DOG (dog B) being walked into THE FORBIDDEN ZONE OF PARADISE with his BEST (theoretical) BUDDY (dog A). Another dog would partake of whatever manna lay beyond those gates, etc etc.
    ... and he's far too big for me to shift him unwillingly, so I had to stand there for a quarter of an hour while he cried and whined and barked and looked, looked, looked at these two chums playing together, so cruelly locked away from him. The owners of dog A were hanging around drinking their morning coffee, and it was getting very awkward, so after a while I just asked them: "Excuse me, this is a weird question, but my dog thinks your dog is his best friend and now you've got another dog in there and he won't leave and -look, can he play with your dog(s) for a minute or two?"

They were very nice people, so they said yes, and in an action I would soon regret, I let Trouble Nugget into his Valhalla.
    Well, he ran around in circles like an idiot, and Dog A was clearly terrified of this giant fur explosion that had suddenly invaded her domain and tried to hide behind the hedge, but he would ferret her out and chase her until at last she hid under the lawn furniture. It was kind of embarrassing. Fortunately Dog B was younger and braver and up for the challenge, so he took on Usch and things went ok for about ...oh, 24 seconds. Then Uschi plowed into him like the muppet-shaped bowling ball he is, and hurt Dog B's leg, and at that point it seemed like it would be best to just leave.

and that is the story of how Uschi got himself banned from his own private version of heaven.

3sy2d4byvtkv.jpg

don't look at me like that, you're a bumptious idiot.

tynic on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    That was a roller coaster of emotions... although 100% expected from this bundle of fur.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I've compiled a visual aid using a stunt berner. Imagine the sand is a game but ultimately doomed poodle cross.

edit: think this is either Uschi's sister or aunt.

tynic on
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Lookit the fluffy!

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Some good news:

Thanks to our network of PAers our cats have a temporary home! A former member is able to foster them & we’ll pay all related expenses.

Mori’s parents have been such asses over the cats, and this is suuuch a weight off my mind right now.

• Options
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    You have to give us cat pictures now, though.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    Fucking awesome happy ending to that bullshit story I tell you hwat

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I’ll post photos tomorrow!

Also it’ll mean my first road trip in years! We’ll be splitting the drive so we can get there sooner (Portland) and kitties won’t have to stay too long in the car.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Now I'm Catholic so being passive agressive is my nature but when you get out of there you totally need buy like a hundred small cat figurines and hide them all over the house

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Oh it’s okay when we get up there my parents are getting a cat!

Yes. Yes, I know.

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Oh it’s okay when we get up there my parents are getting a cat!

Yes. Yes, I know.

... i can't.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    there aren't enough ellipses for what I'm feeling

• Options
    I mean I actually yelled at my mom about how absolutely rude and insulting it was that they demanded that we get rid of our cats and then turned around and talked about getting a cat, and how if she had any respect for us they’d at least wait till we moved out.

And her response was “Oh so now you’re telling us what we can’t do?”

So, fuck it, I’m done. Just gonna save up my money and move out as soon as we can afford to.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    I remember when we babysat a bernese for like six or 9 months. she was a very pretty dog, but she was spoiled at home so getting her to do anything was basically the worst. luckily she loved my sister's dog so we could use him as a lure.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Like, what the fuck Alex's parents?

• Options
    I love my parents, but I don’t want to live with them.

• Options
    I honestly can’t describe Mori’s parents (and the cat issue is only one of many issues I’ve had) and I get really scared that between them, some of the bullshit my parents have pulled and some of what I hear about other people’s parents that it’s somehow a parent thing and will we unwittingly pull some bullshit with our kids? Or is it a generational thing? Or just a people-living-together-in-tight-quarters thing? I don’t know.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I think it is a big mix of everything really, I know back when I was living at home when I was an adult I had constant clashes with my dad about everything and it only mildly improved when I moved out.

Mostly I think it comes from the inability to shift your thinking about your kids to the idea that they are capable adults and when you go and be capable adults they then try and control the few things they have left to control.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    It's pretty likely they resent the pets as an additional expense, that is hindering your ability to move out

• Options
    That seems super likely. But framing it as "cats can't survive in Washington!" is batshit even before announcing they're gonna get one themselves.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Janson wrote: »
    I honestly can’t describe Mori’s parents (and the cat issue is only one of many issues I’ve had) and I get really scared that between them, some of the bullshit my parents have pulled and some of what I hear about other people’s parents that it’s somehow a parent thing and will we unwittingly pull some bullshit with our kids? Or is it a generational thing? Or just a people-living-together-in-tight-quarters thing? I don’t know.

Listen you are inevitably going to mess up with your kids because you're human. What matters is how you handle it when that happens.

Don't stress over their issues it'll eat you
    alive

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Javen wrote: »
    It's pretty likely they resent the pets as an additional expense, that is hindering your ability to move out

The cats aren’t a big expense at all, and Mori’s parents keep putting up barriers to us moving out - honestly I think ultimately they’re not looking forward to us moving out. We’ve been a handy source of income, they’ve had access to the grandkids, and his dad’s getting a chance at looking after kids again. Also his mom’s paranoid we won’t let her see the grandkids after we move out.

So... I don’t know. Weird control issues? At first it was ‘concern’ for me because I am mildly allergic to cats (note: I NEVER complained, and they forced us to keep the cats in our bedroom 24/7 for the first two years, so that didn’t help?), then it was they didn’t want the hair everywhere, but then we got rid of the carpet and the cats were still a problem.
    Blake T wrote: »
    I think it is a big mix of everything really, I know back when I was living at home when I was an adult I had constant clashes with my dad about everything and it only mildly improved when I moved out.

Mostly I think it comes from the inability to shift your thinking about your kids to the idea that they are capable adults and when you go and be capable adults they then try and control the few things they have left to control.

Yeah; I think this is the most likely explanation!

Janson on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

Listen you are inevitably going to mess up with your kids because you're human. What matters is how you handle it when that happens.

Don't stress over their issues it'll eat you
    alive

What if you're into vore?

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    If you have a pet parrot, and there are tons of wild parrots outside, will they make the pet parrot sad or anxious?

broken image link
  • Options
    If you have a pet parrot, and there are tons of wild parrots outside, will they make the pet parrot sad or anxious?

Parrots are social birds. If anything they'd be going nuts in their cage

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Trouble Nugget

oh my god

• Options
    hey

hey
    my cat's adorable

mxzwj2365ih7.png

• Options

It's like when they find out you're having sex.

Especially if you're not married.

Some of them get really angry!

• Options
    lookit this handsome lad

rhmdtd1jeqmx.png

• Options

yeah my neighbours had a yellow-tailed black cockatoo, and we lived in an area with a lot of free roaming ones. Poor bugger was so stressed and miserable when they went overhead.

I know parrots and cockies will bond with people but I've always been uncomfortable with owning one in Australia unless they're rescue animals. There's just so many of their pals around.

• Options

yeah my neighbours had a yellow-tailed black cockatoo, and we lived in an area with a lot of free roaming ones. Poor bugger was so stressed and miserable when they went overhead.

I know parrots and cockies will bond with people but I've always been uncomfortable with owning one in Australia unless they're rescue animals. There's just so many of their pals around.

This probably varies from location to location but in some places at least you can let 'em roam outdoors during the day

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Blake updated me on the situation re Mori’s parents and I would’ve filled a large swear jar in the ensuing 2 minutes.

Here is a photo of our pretty dog with his pride bandana on to help make things marginally better!

xxozqpopya7d.jpeg

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Dapper

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

This probably varies from location to location but in some places at least you can let 'em roam outdoors during the day

Well their wings are clipped and black cockies fly and socialize pretty high so it might not be much help.
    Sulphur-crested spend more time on the ground, they'd probably be cool hanging in a backyard.

• Options
    Ah, yeah that would complicate it. Poor birdies

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Blake updated me on the situation re Mori’s parents and I would’ve filled a large swear jar in the ensuing 2 minutes.

Here is a photo of our pretty dog with his pride bandana on to help make things marginally better!

xxozqpopya7d.jpeg

the most immense snoot

makes my boop gland fire like you don't even know

This discussion has been closed.