Options

[tech] It's Tech Spring Cleaning Week now. Clean your....tech....stuff.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    factory reset? did you not have a spare OS sitting around to just reformat?

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    factory reset? did you not have a spare OS sitting around to just reformat?

No

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I just read a joke online about those new Airbuds - "Apple should make a wireless buttplug subwoofer so you can have 2.1 surround sound."

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    right... joke

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think it's less that Apple isn't innovating anymore, and that we've farmed out all the real easy improvements to make upon smart phones. The screens are high-resolution, people only want them but so big, and you can use them for making transactions and various tickets/passes. It's not realistic to do yearly iterations and expect a major innovation every time.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yea, its all quality of life stuff now. I think apple got a little gun shy after the maps fiasco and it put them behind the ball.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I think it's less that Apple isn't innovating anymore, and that we've farmed out all the real easy improvements to make upon smart phones. The screens are high-resolution, people only want them but so big, and you can use them for making transactions and various tickets/passes. It's not realistic to do yearly iterations and expect a major innovation every time.

Which raises the question why update the hardware annually? Why not every 18 months, or two years?

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular

Which raises the question why update the hardware annually? Why not every 18 months, or two years?

Because phones are updated yearly. It is known. You don't buy a 17 month old phone model.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    And you should be applying that logic to everyone, not just apple.

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular

Fiscal years, probably. Shareholders wouldn't like not having that massive spike in sales/profits every year.

Also, I think you could argue that Apple is making pretty big jumps every year with the internal hardware. Like right now their SoC and storage speed blow everything out of the water, by a fairly huge margin. I could see them going to a cadence of New->S->S2->New (which is pretty much what the 7 is), but I doubt they will ever stop yearly releases

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular

I've heard that after the 7 they're going to a bi-annual refresh for this exact reason.

This was from a friend at Apple so take it with a grain of salt.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    Blake T wrote: »

I don't recall mentioning Apple specifically in that post? I currently own an Xperia Z3. If I had the money to waste would I upgrade to something newer? Of course not, I'm not stupid. I replace things when they stop working.

• Options
    ronzo wrote: »

Fiscal years, probably. Shareholders wouldn't like not having that massive spike in sales/profits every year.

Also, I think you could argue that Apple is making pretty big jumps every year with the internal hardware. Like right now their SoC and storage speed blow everything out of the water, by a fairly huge margin. I could see them going to a cadence of New->S->S2->New (which is pretty much what the 7 is), but I doubt they will ever stop yearly releases

Is the A10 Fusion actually any better than the Snapdragon 821 though? Has anybody got any benchmarks proving their claims?

• Options
    pimento wrote: »

Because phones are updated yearly. It is known. You don't buy a 17 month old phone model.

What about all the people buying the iPhone SE? Isn't that just a 5S?

• Options

Is the A10 Fusion actually any better than the Snapdragon 821 though? Has anybody got any benchmarks proving their claims?

It's not out yet, but they've not had any history of overly bullshitting things that I know of.

• Options

What about all the people buying the iPhone SE? Isn't that just a 5S?

Wait i stopped being lazy and looked that up for myself, it's a 6S in a 5 case. So it's only a year old, not two. They're still selling plenty, though, which is good!

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I'm thinking about getting a tablet, but I have no idea what to get. How noticeable would more powerful hardware be if I'm just going to use it for web browsing and youtube? Does it matter if it's got an Intel or ARM CPU? I'm also not sure if I'd want one with a 10 inch screen or a smaller one.

Basically I want a tablet, but know nothing about them.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

I don't recall mentioning Apple specifically in that post? I currently own an Xperia Z3. If I had the money to waste would I upgrade to something newer? Of course not, I'm not stupid. I replace things when they stop working.

That isn't what you said though.

The Z3 has been re-released every single year since it was first released.

Phones come out every year. It is what happens.

• Options

That's not what I said either? My point is that there is now zero reason to release new hardware every year no matter which phone company you are because the incidental upgrades are so meaningless. That's why I have a two year old phone, because it still works. The one before that was a piece of shit $200 special I bought last year out of necessity that I am going to smash with a hammer because it pissed me off so much and has stopped working, and the phone before that was my S3 that lasted for three years.

My whole point is that buying a new phone each year is a fool's errand and a big waste of resources.

• Options

This is the link to the iPhone 7+ score on geek bench

Single Core: 3233, MultiCore: 5363

That's basically the same score the iPad Pro running a A9X got. Apple is seemingly about 1-2 years ahead of everyone else in SoC's for phones/tablets.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

That's actually a bit of an exaggeration. They do have some great sequential read and write speeds, but when it comes to random read/write Samsung has been beating them. The Snapdrsgon 820 is running pretty close to the A9 in synthetic benchmarks, with CPU and web tests going to the A9 and graphic benchmarks going to the 820.

• Options
    My poor Google-fu is failing me finding a direct benchmark comparison between the iPhone 7 and a handset with the 821 in it, so I guess I will just have to wait and see.

• Options

That's not what I said either? My point is that there is now zero reason to release new hardware every year no matter which phone company you are because the incidental upgrades are so meaningless. That's why I have a two year old phone, because it still works. The one before that was a piece of shit $200 special I bought last year out of necessity that I am going to smash with a hammer because it pissed me off so much and has stopped working, and the phone before that was my S3 that lasted for three years.

My whole point is that buying a new phone each year is a fool's errand and a big waste of resources.

Companies releasing a phone every year and people buying a phone every year are two different things. If someone needs a new phone because [reason] and they can choose between an 18 month old model and a 6 month old model from a competitor, it's reasonable to think that they could easily be talked into the newer model, therefore you miss out on a sale.

So while I agree that there's no point in replacing your phone every year, I super disagree that there's no reason to release a new phone every year.

• Options

Companies releasing a phone every year and people buying a phone every year are two different things. If someone needs a new phone because [reason] and they can choose between an 18 month old model and a 6 month old model from a competitor, it's reasonable to think that they could easily be talked into the newer model, therefore you miss out on a sale.

So while I agree that there's no point in replacing your phone every year, I super disagree that there's no reason to release a new phone every year.

The same thing happens with cars, though. Here they are usually on a 3 year refresh cycle (because there isn't sufficient progress in technology to warrant the huge price increase that would come with engineering a new model every year), so you just buy a new one of the most recent model of whichever you prefer.

• Options
    You put out a product every year so you don't look like a spud who is sitting around with an old product while everyone else is trying to sell products that run faster and have (admittedly less exciting nowadays) new features.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    The iphone SE 64gb dropped $80 in Canada down to $629, so now I need to go through another round of considering upgrading my nexus 5. How have you liked yours @T4CT (or anyone else with one)?

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    You put out a product every year so you don't look like a spud who is sitting around with an old product while everyone else is trying to sell products that run faster and have (admittedly less exciting nowadays) new features.

I would hope that the market would adapt to the changing reality.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    People still want new phones every year or two, whether due to the existing ones wearing down or getting broken or just the constant desire for the newest and shiniest. If Apple stops putting new ones out because they can't think of anything to put in them, the market will adapt by putting out more alternatives.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    The iphone SE 64gb dropped $80 in Canada down to $629, so now I need to go through another round of considering upgrading my nexus 5. How have you liked yours @T4CT (or anyone else with one)?

I've only had it for like a week now but I came from a Nexus 6P and I like it a lot! It's kind nice to have a more compact phoenix again, it's snappy, the back camera is real good! Battery life gets me through the day which is the most shocking part because my 6P absolutely did not do that

It's a good phone!

• Options
    edited September 2016

The same thing happens with cars, though. Here they are usually on a 3 year refresh cycle (because there isn't sufficient progress in technology to warrant the huge price increase that would come with engineering a new model every year), so you just buy a new one of the most recent model of whichever you prefer.

Cars aren't exactly the same model year to model year, even if the overall body shape and engine stay the same. You can still do minor updates and sell it as a new model year without redesigning the whole thing. Which incidentally is basically what apple has been doing with its every-other-year-is-an-S-model system for the past 8 years.

Additionally, why care about the forward march of tech if you're good with the state your 2 year old phone is in now? It will actually end up helping you in the long term because when your Z3 break or finally gets left behind software wise, you'll be able to pick up something equivalent for almost nothing. Hell, look at the current Moto G, a $200 phone that is actually really good, and wouldn't have happened without the development of envelope pushing flagships.

Stopping at "good enough" means nothing gets better.

Edit:
    T4CT wrote: »

I've only had it for like a week now but I came from a Nexus 6P and I like it a lot! It's kind nice to have a more compact phoenix again, it's snappy, the back camera is real good! Battery life gets me through the day which is the most shocking part because my 6P absolutely did not do that

It's a good phone!

The phone should also be future proof for a pretty long time, as the 6S internals they put in the SE have a pretty easy time driving the smaller display. It's also why the battery life is good.

ronzo on
  • Options

Cars aren't exactly the same model year to model year, even if the overall body shape and engine stay the same. You can still do minor updates and sell it as a new model year without redesigning the whole thing. Which incidentally is basically what apple has been doing with its every-other-year-is-an-S-model system for the past 8 years.

Additionally, why care about the forward march of tech if you're good with the state your 2 year old phone is in now? It will actually end up helping you in the long term because when your Z3 break or finally gets left behind software wise, you'll be able to pick up something equivalent for almost nothing. Hell, look at the current Moto G, a $200 phone that is actually really good, and wouldn't have happened without the development of envelope pushing flagships.

Edit:

It's a good phone!

The phone should also be future proof for a pretty long time, as the 6S internals they put in the SE have a pretty easy time driving the smaller display. It's also why the battery life is good.

Show me when I said phone manufacturers should stop altogether, that good enough is good enough.

It's like folks are deliberately misinterpreting me.
    Releasing a new product to replace an existing product with only the tiniest of incremental changes is a very wasteful process. That doesn't mean that development should come to a screeching halt!

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Well this new Geforce Experience update is bullshit. No, I don't want to log in to use it. You didn't have to rename anything. The UI is a mess when it was fine before. As usual, change is bad.

Hmm, mine crashed with a runtime error while trying to update. Well whatever, it's a pretty useless program aside from making it easier to get driver updates.

Mine did too, had to manually download the update and run it again. So even their update process doesn't work. You can't get to the settings without updating, only reason I did it.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Phones are going the way of cars. Pretty soon they'll basically be model years. Most people will only get a new one every 18-30 months, some will do a fancy lease with upgrades to always have the pretty new shiny. It'll be a higher turnover than cars (about 3x on average, I'd guess), but basically the same general idea.

And, like cars, every once in a while a brand will have a crazy new feature, or a new model line, or something similar. That, however, will see a more noticeable market reaction, compared to what you see when a car brand introduces a new feature, mostly because the base pricepoints between 'phone' and 'car' are a couple of orders of magnitude apart.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Edit:

It's a good phone!

Show me when I said phone manufacturers should stop altogether, that good enough is good enough.

Releasing a new product to replace an existing product with only the tiniest of incremental changes is a very wasteful process. That doesn't mean that development should come to a screeching halt!

Okay, so where is the line? When, in your estimation, will hardware have progressed enough that it won't be a waste of resources? 2 years? 3? Why is yearly so terrible?

Because right now your whole point seems to be "I'm good with this old phone, why does anyone else need more?" (Btw, due to the terrible android software model, your Z3 will not be getting Android N)

ronzo on
  • Options

Edit:

It's a good phone!

Okay, so where is the line? When, in your estimation, will hardware have progressed enough that it won't be a waste of resources? 2 years? 3? Why is yearly so terrible?

Because right now your whole point seems to be "I'm good with this old phone, why does anyone else need more?" (Btw, due to the terrible android software model, your Z3 will not be getting Android N)

You were doing such a good job until your last point and then you blew it! Switching off a yearly.refresh model for phones would actually make it more likely that android phones would see longer update lifespans

Also for someone who was getting upset about people for being "anti apple" mere pages ago, a LOT of your posts seem very anti Android

• Options
    I will never really be able to understand why anyone would blind themselves to the fact that both major phone operating systems are incredibly strong and neither is better than the other in any meaningful way. They both have incredible strengths that make up for any weaknesses present

• Options
    edited September 2016
    I have no problem with android. I don't think I've said anything directly negative in general about them in this thread? The problems I have with the platform have more to do with the companies and carriers who make devices and control the devices. It's not some sort of "my team is better sort of thing". Like my posts in this thread over the last couple of days haven't even been about android, I've talked mostly about how good the A10 SoC is, and the hate that apple is getting for their design choices. The quip on the Z3 not getting a update was more to illustrate a problem with not upgrading than a slam against android (maybe going to a longer upgrade cycle would help that, it's not a point I had considered.)

I prefer apple devices to the alternatives, but I'm not some anti-android troll. I think you have ascribed something to me that is not present in evidence, and frankly the patronizing way you have been doing it is not great.

ronzo on
  • Options

Edit:

It's a good phone!

You were doing such a good job until your last point and then you blew it! Switching off a yearly.refresh model for phones would actually make it more likely that android phones would see longer update lifespans

Also for someone who was getting upset about people for being "anti apple" mere pages ago, a LOT of your posts seem very anti Android

I mean, what evidence is there for this though? The current market is like this for a reason. I don't mind that they update every year, it means that when I do update (probably next year for my iphone 6, since it is still running well) it will mean that I will have a phone that will be faster than the 7, if they didn't do that I'd have older technology.

Plus with yearly updates they get more money with early adopters and they can reinvest that money for more research. If they slowed down to bi-yearly you'd see probbaly see lower amounts of performance increases when you would compare a phone every 2 years a 2 phones every 2 years just because they have more more R&D available because they have to make more phones.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Yearly updates are great because it means that when I do finally upgrade, I tend to jump 3 generations.

For example:

1. Nexus 6 (which I currently have)
    2. Nexus 6P-I'll skip
    3. New Nexus phone-I'll skip
    4. Upgraded version of new nexus phone-Karl gets a new phone

The yearly release cycle keeps pushing things along nicely and I can dip my toe in when it's worth it for me.

Karl on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Peewi wrote: »
    I'm thinking about getting a tablet, but I have no idea what to get. How noticeable would more powerful hardware be if I'm just going to use it for web browsing and youtube? Does it matter if it's got an Intel or ARM CPU? I'm also not sure if I'd want one with a 10 inch screen or a smaller one.

Basically I want a tablet, but know nothing about them.

As someone who likes Android phones and only buys Nexuses...all the Android tablets have issues, and the software situation isn't great even if you find one with the tradeoffs you are willing to make. I'd probably get a Windows 10 tablet before an Android one.

The only tablet I've ever been happy with is the iPad. You can get reasonable deals on the Air 2 if you wait around.

a5ehren on
This discussion has been closed.