As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A GST About Who Owns Flavortown

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Yet there is reason to be hopeful. Once upon a time, don’t forget, all computers were beige, and craft beers makers were so small people called them microbreweries. Commoditized markets, however bland, can very quickly turn into markets that reward innovation and quality.

So perhaps the better question to ask is: Will industrial agriculture ever move beyond beige? Klee is optimistic. He points out that even where he lives, on the outskirts of Gainesville, Florida, he is within walking distance of a pub that serves 80 types of beer.

Yep, mayors of flavor town.

• Options
    zakkielzakkiel Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Yet there is reason to be hopeful. Once upon a time, don’t forget, all computers were beige, and craft beers makers were so small people called them microbreweries. Commoditized markets, however bland, can very quickly turn into markets that reward innovation and quality.

So perhaps the better question to ask is: Will industrial agriculture ever move beyond beige? Klee is optimistic. He points out that even where he lives, on the outskirts of Gainesville, Florida, he is within walking distance of a pub that serves 80 types of beer.

Yeah, Europe finally taught us about beer. Perhaps they will eventually also teach us about tomatoes.

Account not recoverable. So long.
  • Options
    I'm not especially torn up that we don't have the absolute pinnacle of every single piece of produce ever.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    A steak! wrote: »
    RedTide wrote: »
    Trace wrote: »
    schuss wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    its hilarious that bbq is generally considered poor ppl food but that's not the reality anymore, its one of the more expensive dinners i can have here
    in most restaurants a rack of ribs is like the most expensive thing on a menu

I feel like if you're buying bbq ribs at a restaurant then something has probably gone wrong. Unless it's specifically a bbq joint, and even then your luck is going to be inversely correlated with the restaurant-ness of the joint.

If a BBQ place was actively on fire, I would run in and order, as it would be the pinnacle of BBQ. Exception: sweet cheeks in Boston is great ( note that I do recognize new England as not BBQ country)

wrong

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinosaur_Bar-B-Que
    Dinosaur Bar-B-Que is a restaurant, blues venue, and biker bar chain located mostly in upstate New York with branches in New Jersey, Connecticut, Illinois and Maryland .

Opened in 1988 on Willow Street in downtown Syracuse, it specializes in authentic barbecue, using a wood-fueled barbecue pit. The restaurant markets its sauce, pulled pork, chili, and baked beans at local supermarkets, and at Wegmans, Fairway, D'Agostino's, Price Chopper, and Shaw's Supermarkets across the Northeast. Several additional locations have also been opened in Rochester, New York (in the old Lehigh Valley Railroad Station) in 1998, Harlem, New York City in 2004,[1] and Troy, New York adjacent to the Hudson River in late 2010. In April 2012, a 5th location opened in Newark, NJ near the Prudential Center. On December 5, 2012, a 6th location was opened in Stamford, CT and in early 2013 a 7th location was opened in the Gowanus section of Brooklyn.[2] An 8th location opened in Buffalo, NY in February 2014. In the spring of 2015 a location opened in Chicago. The chain plans to open its 10th restaurant in late 2015 located in Baltimore.

Bah ya beat me to it. My wife went to school in Rochester where we became acquainted with it and we've been insanely happy since they've opened up near us in Newark. The place isn't the best BBQ ever I'm sure, but it is totally legit and light years ahead of anything that you'll find in the region.

@Didgeridoo and I eat at Dino about twice a month. They have gotten so much better recently is almost like it's a different place. Two suggestions: the sausage cheese and crackers is great, and get the chili and Mac and cheese sides and mix them together.

I also love their deviled eggs. What location?

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    zakkiel wrote: »

Yeah, Europe finally taught us about beer. Perhaps they will eventually also teach us about tomatoes.

No, Europe did not "teach" us about beer, other than it was European immigrants who brought their styles of beer to the US. At the turn of the 20th century, any sizable community in the US had a local brewery, and the environment was ruled by regional fare. Then Prohibition happened, and killed off the smaller breweries. Even after repeal, the larger breweries managed to get laws prohibiting smaller breweries from operating. It wasn't until Carter that federal restrictions on microbreweries were lifted, and it took a few decades for them to build up.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Read this and tell me we are the goddamn mayor of flavortown.

Fuck Big Tomato.

Eh, as fun as Big Tomato is to say, it sounds like it's really more an issue with markets not willing to carry a higher costing tomato. The fight between price and flavor/quality is an old one for shoppers at grocery stores.

I'm in an affluent county so there are a lot of grocery stores that carry heirloom tomatoes so there's a market for such things in some places but heirlooms are bloody expensive when I could get most other vegetables for less per pound. They may also still have an issue where tomatoes get picked before they've ripened to the tastiest state in order to look the best in the store.

Since most of what I do with tomatoes (soups, sauces) doesn't need pretty looking slices, I usually just get canned San Marzanos.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2015
    A steak! wrote: »
    Trace wrote: »
    schuss wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    its hilarious that bbq is generally considered poor ppl food but that's not the reality anymore, its one of the more expensive dinners i can have here
    in most restaurants a rack of ribs is like the most expensive thing on a menu

I feel like if you're buying bbq ribs at a restaurant then something has probably gone wrong. Unless it's specifically a bbq joint, and even then your luck is going to be inversely correlated with the restaurant-ness of the joint.

If a BBQ place was actively on fire, I would run in and order, as it would be the pinnacle of BBQ. Exception: sweet cheeks in Boston is great ( note that I do recognize new England as not BBQ country)

wrong

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinosaur_Bar-B-Que
    Dinosaur Bar-B-Que is a restaurant, blues venue, and biker bar chain located mostly in upstate New York with branches in New Jersey, Connecticut, Illinois and Maryland .

Opened in 1988 on Willow Street in downtown Syracuse, it specializes in authentic barbecue, using a wood-fueled barbecue pit. The restaurant markets its sauce, pulled pork, chili, and baked beans at local supermarkets, and at Wegmans, Fairway, D'Agostino's, Price Chopper, and Shaw's Supermarkets across the Northeast. Several additional locations have also been opened in Rochester, New York (in the old Lehigh Valley Railroad Station) in 1998, Harlem, New York City in 2004,[1] and Troy, New York adjacent to the Hudson River in late 2010. In April 2012, a 5th location opened in Newark, NJ near the Prudential Center. On December 5, 2012, a 6th location was opened in Stamford, CT and in early 2013 a 7th location was opened in the Gowanus section of Brooklyn.[2] An 8th location opened in Buffalo, NY in February 2014. In the spring of 2015 a location opened in Chicago. The chain plans to open its 10th restaurant in late 2015 located in Baltimore.

Bah ya beat me to it. My wife went to school in Rochester where we became acquainted with it and we've been insanely happy since they've opened up near us in Newark. The place isn't the best BBQ ever I'm sure, but it is totally legit and light years ahead of anything that you'll find in the region.

Didgeridoo and I eat at Dino about twice a month. They have gotten so much better recently is almost like it's a different place. Two suggestions: the sausage cheese and crackers is great, and get the chili and Mac and cheese sides and mix them together.

I also love their deviled eggs. What location?

Troy, NY. I've never tried the deviled eggs! The only other app I've had are the fried green tomatoes, which are also good. Surprisingly we like the plain way more than the fancy.

Also, I don't know if it's at every location, but the dark and stormy with Crabbe's ginger beer is delicious way to get shitfaced.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited July 2015

No, Europe did not "teach" us about beer, other than it was European immigrants who brought their styles of beer to the US. At the turn of the 20th century, any sizable community in the US had a local brewery, and the environment was ruled by regional fare. Then Prohibition happened, and killed off the smaller breweries. Even after repeal, the larger breweries managed to get laws prohibiting smaller breweries from operating. It wasn't until Carter that federal restrictions on microbreweries were lifted, and it took a few decades for them to build up.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The term originated in the UK in the late 1970s to describe the new generation of small breweries that focused on producing traditional cask ale independently of major brewers or pub chains. The first successful example of this approach was the Litchborough Brewery founded by Bill Urquhart in 1974 in the Northamptonshire village of the same name. Urquhart had been the final head brewer at the large Phipps Northampton brewery, when it was closed by owners Watney Mann in May 1974 to make way for Carlsberg Group's new UK lager brewery on the site. Alongside commercial beer brewing, training courses and apprenticeships were offered with many of the UK movement's early pioneers passing through Litchborough's courses prior to setting up their own breweries.[4]

Although the term "microbrewery" was originally used in relation to the size of breweries, it gradually came to reflect an alternative attitude and approach to brewing flexibility, adaptability, experimentation and customer service. The term and trend spread to the U.S. in the 1980s, where it was eventually used as a designation of breweries that produce fewer than 15,000 U.S. beer barrels (1,800,000 liters; 460,000 U.S. gallons) annually.[5]
    I'm not especially torn up that we don't have the absolute pinnacle of every single piece of produce ever.

Right, we have the world's best choco... ok, well, the world's best strawbe... nvm, the world's best stea... not so much, however the world's greatest bread... are you kidding? but the world's best seaf... definitely no, but... We do have 80 varieties of beer in your local tavern, and only 78 of them have been drowned in ungodly amounts of hops by people with the taste and self-respect of a garden slug. We have great shrimp in the Gulf, but we export it to parts of Flavortown that actually care about Flavor and import their farm-raised dregs. Then we coat those dregs with Dorito crumbs and serve them to hipsters and congratulate ourselves on our fucking culinary innovation.

zakkiel on
  • Options
    Then we coat those dregs with Dorito crumbs and serve them to hipsters and congratulate ourselves on our fucking culinary innovation.

I'm sorry you apparently missed the last ~14 pages of what we do best when this same half assed complaint was knocked down.

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    We do have 80 varieties of beer in your local tavern, and only 78 of them have been drowned in ungodly amounts of hops by people with the taste and self-respect of a garden slug.

I remember 4-5 years ago when barrel-aged stout was the hot shit of the craft beer world. Right now is just the IPA's time to shine. Hops are delicious, but it can definitely be taken too far. I agree that it's annoying when you go to a "craft beer bar" and 75% of the tap list is IPAs.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    Then we coat those dregs with Dorito crumbs and serve them to hipsters and congratulate ourselves on our fucking culinary innovation.

I'm sorry you apparently missed the last ~14 pages of what we do best when this same half assed complaint was knocked down.

Oh really? You discussed how the US exports its quality seafood because Americans aren't willing to pay for quality seafood? Or did you discuss how hipsters are actually just so awesome?

Yeah I read a few pages before the preening threatened to make me lose my cheeto-encased, hot-dog crusted, deep fried American lunch. The US is the goddamn Tom Haverford of Flavortown.

A few years ago I had dinner with an Egyptian. He was amused by the steak knives that came with his steak. "I've never seen these things before coming to America," he said. I wondered why. Then I started eating steaks in other parts of the world. Now I know. If I need a fucking special knife to cut through your gristle, son, get that bullshit off my plate.

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular

Oh really? You discussed how the US exports its quality seafood because Americans aren't willing to pay for quality seafood? Or did you discuss how hipsters are actually just so awesome?

Yeah I read a few pages before the preening threatened to make me lose my cheeto-encased, hot-dog crusted, deep fried American lunch. The US is the goddamn Tom Haverford of Flavortown.

A few years ago I had dinner with an Egyptian. He was amused by the steak knives that came with his steak. "I've never seen these things before coming to America," he said. I wondered why. Then I started eating steaks in other parts of the world. Now I know. If I need a fucking special knife to cut through your gristle, son, get that bullshit off my plate.

You're cute.

I'm sorry you live in the apparent worst part of Flavortown, but have fun being a Sassy Susan about it.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options

Argentina may produce really good beef, but they also usually serve it medium well so it's kind of a wash there.

And your Egyptian friend may also have never seen steak knives before because a kilogram of meat, and we're likely not talking steak quality, costs roughly a month's worth of pay for the average Egyptian worker last I heard from a chef who teaches Middle Eastern cooking. Prices may have stabilized since then since that was about two years back, but much of the world pays much, much higher costs for meat that we take for granted.

Good seafood may be more expensive than the farmed stuff, but it's hardly as if it's unavailable to those who are willing to pay for it and want it. Wild sockeye makes its way from the Pacific coast to the Atlantic here. Obviously some Americans are buying the stuff besides me or else the stores wouldn't keep stocking it.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    If you are getting gristley steak then I think you are eating at a shitty restaurant regardless of country. And steak knives make even rare, incredibly tender steak easy to eat in controlled bites; you could do it with two forks, but that would look stupid.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    We have great shrimp in the Gulf, but we export it to parts of Flavortown that actually care about Flavor and import their farm-raised dregs.

*buzzer noise* WRONG

We're exporting our shrimp to the Red Chinese because their big-ass, flush-with-funds middle class is willing to pay a premium for safe, reliable food (remember they live in a country that was selling them rat meat as lamb and cooking oil filtered from raw sewage), not because us Americans can't appreciate good seafood. It's why they're snapping up bits of our agribusiness companies- their food supply just isn't safe. I know if was a PRC citizen and could spend a little extra to make sure I'm getting the real deal for dinner, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

That entire interview is horseshit, though. "Americans only eat half the global average of seafood" yeah that's because we have access to other cheap sources of protein than seafood, genius.

Captain Marcus on
  • Options

What we discussed is the whole just up the salt and grease claims are nonsense. If all you saw was the part about fried food, which incidentally came up when someone was rightfully championing Scotland's fried food, then no you haven't really read the thread.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Super late on some of the earlier discussion, but just gonna chime in.

On the UK front - haggis is fucking delicious, I haven't had black pudding but I've had Filipino pig blood soup and I'd suggest not judging something based off of what it /is/ without tasting it (within reason). Some of that stuff is delicious. And for all the "we have good Indian food here" when comparing to the UK....yeah, the UK beats the majority of the US for Indian food. I've stopped in a bunch across the states and they're perfectly fine, but not great. That being said, my town here in CA has a major tech presence via Intel and has no less than five Indian restaurants for ~75k people, to the point where they're specializing on specific regions within India. It's fantastic.

I've covered the length and breadth of the states (and unfortunately haven't made it to TOO many places overseas), and I'd say that generally speaking, American cuisine has a greater breadth than elsewhere, but doesn't quite reach the quality of each area's specialty. Anyway, some things for FLAVORTOWN which I haven't been able to find a proper analogue in the States:

Choclo. Sweet corn is more FLAVORful, but Choclo makes for a great snack and can only be grown at high elevations (like Peru). Any imported versions I've had were always hard and more bitter than the ones available locally.

Tropical fruits of all forms lack the FLAVOR they have elsewhere in the States, since they have to be picked before they're ripe and transported. I can't even eat mangoes here anymore since tasting them fresh off the tree in the Philippines.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Well its more that rural America and "not the largest cities" America doesn't usually reach the highest quality in the largest and most populous cities in the particular region.

And sure. But well, neither do their podunk places so its a pretty unfair comparison. Like that suggestion that you can get the super tomatoes in Italy because someone in Rome bought 10,000 seeds as if that wasn't a speed bump in tomato production, as if Italy wasn't the 8th to 3rd[reports conflict by date, i bet that soil conditions change this a lot] largest tomato producer in the world, producing the same types of shitty tomatoes as niche growers complain about in the States.

Spot for spot, America wins.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    We have great shrimp in the Gulf, but we export it to parts of Flavortown that actually care about Flavor and import their farm-raised dregs.

*buzzer noise* WRONG

We're exporting our shrimp to the Red Chinese because their big-ass, flush-with-funds middle class is willing to pay a premium for safe, reliable food (remember they live in a country that was selling them rat meat as lamb and cooking oil filtered from raw sewage), not because us Americans can't appreciate good seafood. It's why they're snapping up bits of our agribusiness companies- their food supply just isn't safe. I know if was a PRC citizen and could spend a little extra to make sure I'm getting the real deal for dinner, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

That entire interview is horseshit, though. "Americans only eat half the global average of seafood" yeah that's because we have access to other cheap sources of protein than seafood, genius.

Or they could import the same farm-raised shit we do from way closer if food safety is the issue. But I'm sure you're an expert on the subject.

• Options

*buzzer noise* WRONG

Or they could import the same farm-raised shit we do from way closer if food safety is the issue. But I'm sure you're an expert on the subject.

No more than you?

• Options

What we discussed is the whole just up the salt and grease claims are nonsense. If all you saw was the part about fried food, which incidentally came up when someone was rightfully championing Scotland's fried food, then no you haven't really read the thread.

Yeah that's not the claim I made.
    Alazull wrote: »

You're cute.

I'm sorry you live in the apparent worst part of Flavortown, but have fun being a Sassy Susan about it.

I've eaten out a lot in Seattle, Boston, Dallas, and Chicago, and at smaller cities across the US. I've had food from some highly billed places, including Top Chef winners. No doubt there's some corners of American Flavortown I haven't been to, but I think I have some sense of the landscape. I've had some great meals in the U.S. of A. But by far the best of them were all made by chefs who happened to be first generation immigrants.

• Options

Okay let's look at the claim you made

Garbage. Fucking. Claim.

• Options

No more than you?

Nope, I did not write a book on the subject.

• Options

Garbage. Fucking. Claim.

Quid I'm starting to get the sense that you are actually, sincerely, unironically committed to the idea that USA is #1 and super pissed about any contradiction. Whereas me, I provided a bunch of shit illustrating that America, emerging though it may be from the Wonderfood dark ages, has still a long ways to go in terms of quality, but that's the outer limit of how seriously I will take this thread.

Admittedly I may be jaundiced from living too long in fucking Chicagoland. I need a goddamn farmer's market that has produce besides rhubarb.

• Options
    Admittedly I may be jaundiced from living too long in fucking Chicagoland. I need a goddamn farmer's market that has produce besides rhubarb.

Uh, I'm going to venture a guess that this is kind of an issue. Everyone I've ever talked to that's moved to the Midwest from the West Coast, East Coast, or South has complained about the quality of food and especially the seafood. A WoW buddy talked about how going from Louisiana to the Midwest meant that the one time he found a frozen side of Ahi tuna was like manna appearing in the desert.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Tropical fruits of all forms lack the FLAVOR they have elsewhere in the States, since they have to be picked before they're ripe and transported. I can't even eat mangoes here anymore since tasting them fresh off the tree in the Philippines.

As a former Floridian, I'd have to agree on this but only to a point. Most of the modern Mango cultivars were developed in Florida in the mid-20th century, and have only recently recaptured public interest. While it's true that most fruit from these trees do not ship well, there are other ways to distribute processed mangos, particularly by flash-freezing*. I would suspect canned mangoes would also work out pretty well, and there's a long history of canned fruit being quite popular in the US.

*I personally got a few mangos shipped to me from home, upon which I immediately sectioned and froze them. If my freezer didn't have a defrost cycle, they'd keep for well over a year this way.

Emissary42 on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Oh, I'm not saying they don't keep, or even that they taste poorly in the States. I'm just saying that when I visited my girlfriend's family, they grew pineapples and mangoes (and eggplants and various other plants) that tasted a good deal juicier and more vibrant than any of the ones I'd had in restaurants or from grocery stores in California.

Eating a fruit was like having dessert. It was great, and that extended to other places that we ate while traveling within the Philippines. It's just one of the specific examples I can think of where I felt the food was better abroad. :-)

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    There is a certain awesomeness going to climates where certain foodstuffs grow exceptionally well. If you're ever in Hawaii (or a similar enough climate), seek out locally grown coffee. It's nothing like anything I've ever had on the continent.

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular

It's probably cheaper for them too. Look at the places where we're importing shrimp from, and then look at the PRC bullying them about their territorial sovereignty. I'm sure the Vietnamese would be happy to sell them seafood at a 300% markup.

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular

Garbage. Fucking. Claim.

Quid I'm starting to get the sense that you are actually, sincerely, unironically committed to the idea that USA is #1 and super pissed about any contradiction. Whereas me, I provided a bunch of shit illustrating that America, emerging though it may be from the Wonderfood dark ages, has still a long ways to go in terms of quality, but that's the outer limit of how seriously I will take this thread.

We may have a ways to go in some areas, but America has it pretty fucking stacked when you look at food quality across the board. The American populace is becoming more interested in quality food, and producers are stepping up to meet the demand of that market.

Its also sad that apparently Chicago isn't doing it for you as it is a rising star of the world food scene, what with being home to many Michelin Star restaurants (I want to say the most outside of NYC in the U.S.) and James Beard award winners. Both of which are Significant Things Which Matter to this conversation. Which actually probably explains your lack of varied produce, all those motherfuckers are up at 5 a.m. buying it before you to serve in their restaurants.

• Options

Garbage. Fucking. Claim.

Pissed at people disagreeing? Nah. Annoyed with statements that have been knocked down and knocked down hard? Absolutely.

And plenty of people have provided similar posts proving their points. That you appear to have skipped over those and instead provide a link to the Argentina wikipedia page isn't much at all. Meanwhile there's over a dozen pages of everything America does great. It's certainly a shame we don't have the absolute best tomatoes but that doesn't counteract everything else.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

Uh, I'm going to venture a guess that this is kind of an issue. Everyone I've ever talked to that's moved to the Midwest from the West Coast, East Coast, or South has complained about the quality of food and especially the seafood. A WoW buddy talked about how going from Louisiana to the Midwest meant that the one time he found a frozen side of Ahi tuna was like manna appearing in the desert.

This has reminded me that there seem to be very few, if any, good Cajun places outside of Louisiana. Even Texas tends to have weak Jambalaya and an abundance of places that put tomato in their Gumbo.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

Garbage. Fucking. Claim.

Pissed at people disagreeing? Nah. Annoyed with statements that have been knocked down and knocked down hard? Absolutely.

And plenty of people have provided similar posts proving their points. That you appear to have skipped over those and instead provide a link to the Argentina wikipedia page isn't much at all. Meanwhile there's over a dozen pages of everything America does great. It's certainly a shame we don't have the absolute best tomatoes but that doesn't counteract everything else.

But we do have the best tomatoes. The amount of tomatoes this guy was going to grow in Italy was a pittance. Italy produces something like 4 to 8 million tons of tomatoes per year. 10,000 seeds, if they each produced one tonne of tomatoes per seed would amount to one quarter of one percent of Italian tomato production in 2009. Which is to say that such a number is a hilarious exaggeration. The tomatoes grown in Italy are not magically delicious, they're the same mass produced tomatoes grown everywhere else.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    milski wrote: »

This has reminded me that there seem to be very few, if any, good Cajun places outside of Louisiana. Even Texas tends to have weak Jambalaya and an abundance of places that put tomato in their Gumbo.

As shitty as it may sound, Hurricane Katrina did a lot to improve the American food scene. Many cities that did not have Cajun, Creole (there is a difference between the two) or soul food suddenly got it because they got an influx of people who could actually make it, and a crowd willing to support it simultaneously. The better cities continued to support it, some let it die, but in general its what was a part of the previous decade of America becoming a better place to eat.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Having grown up in Hawaii, I can say the mango there are delicious and meet or beat your Philippines varieties.

Also the avocados. Lychee. Various kinds of oranges. The banana. Mountain apples. Passion fruit. Guava. Kiwis. There was even a starfruit tree on my way to school that I'd pick stuff off occasionally to eat.

Hawaii is part of the US and damn do they have amazing fruits.

Just some bang up amazing specialty foods since the population is incredibly dense with first generation immigrants.

Like legit Chinese food was a thing you could get! Ox hooves, chicken feet and all.

Then just very Hawaiian stuff like kalua pig, lomi salmon and kahuku sweet corn. Also I guess poi.

Mmmm. Just, damn son.

As someone just said, kona coffee or whatnot is pretty amazing and there are several dozen blends you can get on the big island that are all quite distinct.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited July 2015

Garbage. Fucking. Claim.

Given that this thread has been unalloyed USA #! hoo-rah from start to finish, the least you could do is accept the occasional counter fact with a tiny amount of grace.

I mean at least no one has said your food is an "abomination" despite never having been to your country and knowing very little about it.

V1m on
  • Options
    V1m wrote: »

Garbage. Fucking. Claim.

Given that this thread has been unalloyed USA #! hoo-rah from start to finish, the least you could do is accept the occasional counter fact with a tiny amount of grace.

I mean at least no one has said your food is an "abomination" despite never having been to your country and knowing very little about it.

I apologize but you seem to have missed what I was replying to. I agree the tomato deal is lame. But when it comes to something like

I'll go ahead and call a terrible statement terrible.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Well the idea of coating anything in doritos on purpose does technically count as innovation in my book, since it's certainly not something that would ever have occurred to me to do to otherwise potentially good food.

Googling "coated with dorito crumbs" sure does bring up a lot of hits though. Presumably these are all by no true flavortown residents.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Are you telling us all that France in no way has ever went the cheapo route with food?

last I checked you guys still had McDonalds.

The idea that the very worst of Flavortown should be used as an example of the entirety of Flavortown is ridiculous.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    France has a really impressive density of McDonald's. They love their fast food

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule