Options

A GST About Who Owns Flavortown

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Onions are the best. In any form.

Raw, cooked, powdered, chopped, any which way.

Just put onions in all the things ever.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Red onions. Burgers. No.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Red onions. Burgers. Yes.

A good, simple burger with a juicy patty, some mayo/ketchup, tomatoes, lettuce, dill pickles, and red onion is great. The red onion especially provides a nice clean crunch.

Though usually I'm going to opt for caramelized yellow onions, because onions+butter+heat is the foundation of Flavortown City Hall.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Can't stand onions raw, can almost tolerate them in rings. Love them in small chunks in chili, etc.
    (but not on pizza. nor bell peppers.)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    Raw onions suck in just about everything they're in besides pico de gallo.

Cooked onions are vital in a ridiculous number of dishes.
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    its hilarious that bbq is generally considered poor ppl food but that's not the reality anymore, its one of the more expensive dinners i can have here
    in most restaurants a rack of ribs is like the most expensive thing on a menu

Yeah, I'll meet my dad for lunch at a Texas Hill Country BBQ spot (not even one of the trendy ones that get all the media attention), and we'll drop 40-50 bucks or more for a good size but not huge lunch.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Raw onions are terrible

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    jimb213 wrote: »

its hilarious that bbq is generally considered poor ppl food but that's not the reality anymore, its one of the more expensive dinners i can have here

Yeah, I'll meet my dad for lunch at a Texas Hill Country BBQ spot (not even one of the trendy ones that get all the media attention), and we'll drop 40-50 bucks or more for a good size but not huge lunch.

Yeah, basically this. Only as a kid you're never told the ingredients of stuff, so you don't realize you eat onions like five times a night - instead onions are just that thing people put on hamburgers so I don't want to eat them.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

I feel like if you're buying bbq ribs at a restaurant then something has probably gone wrong. Unless it's specifically a bbq joint, and even then your luck is going to be inversely correlated with the restaurant-ness of the joint.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited July 2015
    spool32 wrote: »

I feel like if you're buying bbq ribs at a restaurant then something has probably gone wrong. Unless it's specifically a bbq joint, and even then your luck is going to be inversely correlated with the restaurant-ness of the joint.

Hands down the best (non Carolina) BBQ I have ever had was served out of a double wide trailer that was converted into a restaurant in the middle of the Ozarks in Missouri.

There was a garden outside where he grew many of his ingredients, he was an avid hunter and would trade / barter his kills to get the meat from local farmers that he used in his smokers.

It in no way felt like a restaurant, the prices were incredibly reasonable, and the food was just streets ahead.

All enjoyed because I and my traveling buddies trusted a wooden sign with BBQ hand painted on it alongside an arrow pointing to the aforementioned trailer.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    my sister in law refuses to eat anything with onions in them because she ate a bad onion once

same thing for eggs

she also refuses any sauces or gravies or whatever that aren't from a mix or are made with any kind of meat stock because she thinks its full of bacteria

it makes holidays... a bit infuriating

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    My opinion on onions:

Cooked: Good on everything.

Caramelized: Good as a topping e.g. on fajitas or on a burger. I even enjoy them on a sirloin.

Raw red: Good on cold cut sandwiches and in mexican food/Pico.

Raw strands: Good as a light addition in some asian food.

Deep fried: Onion rings/blooming onion.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    i will only get ribs at dedicated bbq pits

like when i went smitty's in lockhart

that was legit

but just ordering a rack of ribs at a steakhouse?

eff that

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Raw onions are terrible

Nexuscrawler is terrible.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Raw onions are terrible

Nexuscrawler is terrible.

Come at me bro

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    My opinion on onions:

Cooked: Good on everything.

Caramelized: Good as a topping e.g. on fajitas or on a burger. I even enjoy them on a sirloin.

Raw red: Good on cold cut sandwiches and in mexican food/Pico.

Raw strands: Good as a light addition in some asian food.

Deep fried: Onion rings/blooming onion.

There's a whole world of other things you can do with onions. You can pickle them! You can roast them! You can even preserve them! It all depends on what you're making and what flavor combinations you want out of the dish. For example, we put pickled red onions on our wild boar burger because the sweetness of the onion, combined with the sharpness of the red onion and vinegar is perfect with the meat and the butterkase cheese we put on it. I also like to add our pickled gherkins because they are tiny awesome pickles and I love pickled goods because they go well with beer and now I've forgotten what the point I was trying to make, pickles.

Also if you don't like onions or want to "class it up," try using shallots. They are pretty awesome too, and about as much of a pain to work with as onions and garlic. But yeah, if you think that you hate onions and can't eat them at all you're cutting yourself off from the majority of food offered. Hell, I make all my stocks with onions (except the fume, that gets leeks) so when you're eating this awesome soup I made with the beef stock and think it doesn't have onions in it, you actually eating onions baby!

Something that occurred to me and I'm happy to see in the American food scene of late is more of a transition to making decent green salads. It used to be if you went to any podunk restaurant in this country you'd get something covered in fucking cheese and other toppings and slathered with dressing, most likely the salad mix itself was heavy on the romaine. Now you can get nice salads, and let me tell you something one of my favorite meals is a nice piece of grilled meat or seafood on some good greens tossed in a vinaigrette and topped according to what the meat is. Like caramelized onions, roasted garlic, heirloom tomatoes, funky ass bleu cheese and balsamic vinaigrette for some steak is actually probably what I'm making for dinner tonight now that I type this.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

If a BBQ place was actively on fire, I would run in and order, as it would be the pinnacle of BBQ. Exception: sweet cheeks in Boston is great ( note that I do recognize new England as not BBQ country)

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

If a BBQ place was actively on fire, I would run in and order, as it would be the pinnacle of BBQ. Exception: sweet cheeks in Boston is great ( note that I do recognize new England as not BBQ country)

wrong

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinosaur_Bar-B-Que
    Dinosaur Bar-B-Que is a restaurant, blues venue, and biker bar chain located mostly in upstate New York with branches in New Jersey, Connecticut, Illinois and Maryland .

Opened in 1988 on Willow Street in downtown Syracuse, it specializes in authentic barbecue, using a wood-fueled barbecue pit. The restaurant markets its sauce, pulled pork, chili, and baked beans at local supermarkets, and at Wegmans, Fairway, D'Agostino's, Price Chopper, and Shaw's Supermarkets across the Northeast. Several additional locations have also been opened in Rochester, New York (in the old Lehigh Valley Railroad Station) in 1998, Harlem, New York City in 2004,[1] and Troy, New York adjacent to the Hudson River in late 2010. In April 2012, a 5th location opened in Newark, NJ near the Prudential Center. On December 5, 2012, a 6th location was opened in Stamford, CT and in early 2013 a 7th location was opened in the Gowanus section of Brooklyn.[2] An 8th location opened in Buffalo, NY in February 2014. In the spring of 2015 a location opened in Chicago. The chain plans to open its 10th restaurant in late 2015 located in Baltimore.

• Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    edited July 2015

Technically speaking, even onions in pico de gallo are cooked. The acid from the lime juice and tomatoes do a number on them in the same way those juices do for ceviche.

edit - grammar

Emissary42 on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    schuss wrote: »

wrong

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinosaur_Bar-B-Que
    Dinosaur Bar-B-Que is a restaurant, blues venue, and biker bar chain located mostly in upstate New York with branches in New Jersey, Connecticut, Illinois and Maryland .

Opened in 1988 on Willow Street in downtown Syracuse, it specializes in authentic barbecue, using a wood-fueled barbecue pit. The restaurant markets its sauce, pulled pork, chili, and baked beans at local supermarkets, and at Wegmans, Fairway, D'Agostino's, Price Chopper, and Shaw's Supermarkets across the Northeast. Several additional locations have also been opened in Rochester, New York (in the old Lehigh Valley Railroad Station) in 1998, Harlem, New York City in 2004,[1] and Troy, New York adjacent to the Hudson River in late 2010. In April 2012, a 5th location opened in Newark, NJ near the Prudential Center. On December 5, 2012, a 6th location was opened in Stamford, CT and in early 2013 a 7th location was opened in the Gowanus section of Brooklyn.[2] An 8th location opened in Buffalo, NY in February 2014. In the spring of 2015 a location opened in Chicago. The chain plans to open its 10th restaurant in late 2015 located in Baltimore.

Bah ya beat me to it. My wife went to school in Rochester where we became acquainted with it and we've been insanely happy since they've opened up near us in Newark. The place isn't the best BBQ ever I'm sure, but it is totally legit and light years ahead of anything that you'll find in the region.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    americans get super salty about this "we have the best food" thing

there's just greater variation, i think. like rich people in america have the best lifestyle of anyone in the world but the average american standard of living is lower than it is in most other developed countries

same with the food. the really good food is better than the really good food in most other developed countries but the average american meal is probably worse than the average european meal

i also think americans frequently don't grasp that places which aren't america also have ethnic diversity

Non Americans also get super salty about this "we have the best food"

They do one or two cuisines extremely well and think that makes them kings of flavor town

But the reality is having a huge variety of great food available is the most important part of being the best place in the world for delicious food

the cities of most other developed countries have the same available range of cuisines as American ones

like there are very few things you couldn't get here in Sydney that you could get in an American city of comparable size, and there's stuff you can get here that you couldn't get there

because other countries, it turns out, also have ethnic diversity! seriously why do Americans think that they're the only people to have Mexican restaurants AND Chinese ones

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

Not in Kansas City. Come here, sit at a nice table with a white cloth, peruse a wine list, and then tear into the best ribs in the country.

This is barbecue Mecca. Wherever I travel, I will always face toward here to pray.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

Not in Kansas City. Come here, sit at a nice table with a white cloth, peruse a wine list, and then tear into the best ribs in the country.

This is barbecue Mecca. Wherever I travel, I will always face toward here to pray.

What kind of wine goes with KC ribs?

I feel like I would want something with a little acidity because that's heavy food there. Maybe a pinot noir?

• Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    Raw onions are terrible

Bad opinion alert. Raw onions are good in a variety of dishes, including a wide variety of salads, and as a topping for burgers and the like.

• Options

there's just greater variation, i think. like rich people in america have the best lifestyle of anyone in the world but the average american standard of living is lower than it is in most other developed countries

same with the food. the really good food is better than the really good food in most other developed countries but the average american meal is probably worse than the average european meal

i also think americans frequently don't grasp that places which aren't america also have ethnic diversity

They do one or two cuisines extremely well and think that makes them kings of flavor town

But the reality is having a huge variety of great food available is the most important part of being the best place in the world for delicious food

the cities of most other developed countries have the same available range of cuisines as American ones

like there are very few things you couldn't get here in Sydney that you could get in an American city of comparable size, and there's stuff you can get here that you couldn't get there

because other countries, it turns out, also have ethnic diversity! seriously why do Americans think that they're the only people to have Mexican restaurants AND Chinese ones

It's because basically all of us have that. How many tex-mex places outside of Sydney?

And if you think a city of 4 million has food diversity, what about a city over 6x that size?

I mean, OK

Austin is kind of a food city even though it's got just a million people. Food I can get here with no effort:

French continental
    English / Irish (pub food mostly, one fine dining)
    Spanish (tapas and etc)
    Tex Mex (world tier)
    BBQ (world tier)
    Chinese
    Japanese
    Thai
    German/Polish
    Ethiopian
    Turkish / Middle Eastern
    Greek
    Italian (ameritalian and traditional sicilian and tuscan)\
    Cajun
    Soul food
    Filipino
    Central American
    Brazilian
    Indian (Britindian and more traditional)
    then of course top tier steaks, burgers, cali fusion, new england seafood styles, southwestern chili (green and red)...

I'm curious what you consider local Australian cuisine and what you think of it. I'm entirely ignorant!
    :)

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    V1m wrote: »

I feel like I would want something with a little acidity because that's heavy food there. Maybe a pinot noir?

I have honestly never opted for wine and wouldn't know where to begin. The place I go I tend to order a Chimay Gold with my meal. I have to be carried out afterward, but that is how you know that you have won at barbecue in Kansas City.

• Options

KC is different though - ribs are like your thing. I wouldn't presume to throw shade on the KC rib game.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular

It's because basically all of us have that. How many tex-mex places outside of Sydney?

And if you think a city of 4 million has food diversity, what about a city over 6x that size?

I mean, OK

Austin is kind of a food city even though it's got just a million people. Food I can get here with no effort:

French continental
    Spanish (tapas and etc)
    Tex Mex (world tier)
    BBQ (world tier)
    Chinese
    Japanese
    Thai
    German/Polish
    Ethiopian
    Turkish / Middle Eastern
    Greek
    Cajun
    Soul food
    Filipino
    Central American
    Brazilian
    then of course top tier steaks, burgers, cali fusion, new england seafood styles, southwestern chili (green and red)...

I'm curious what you consider local Australian cuisine and what you think of it. I'm entirely ignorant!

(sorry if this post came as shitty, I had a frustrating day for unrelated reasons)

but yeah I mean, this is a normal range of food for a developed city to have. there's nothing on that list you couldn't get in Brisbane, a city of comparable size, with a minimum of effort. except for Cajun and soul food, which are regional American cuisines

it's just we don't think of it as special? like I wouldn't brag to anyone about that because it's just a thing that is expected of any large city, in the same way that you expect them to have schools and banks and roads. and the way Americans talk about it always implies to me that they think it's a cultural quality specific to America, as opposed to just being something that happens in a developed nation when the population density gets high enough

like obviously you have more cities than us so there's more cities which possess this normal attribute of cities

as far as regional cuisines go you do better than we do, Australians will try to pretend there's such a thing as Australian food but there isn't. you can't get a real kebab in most of America and obviously you don't know what a meat pie is but the meat pie is just a pie with meat in it, it's frankly not much of a culinary claim to fame

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    @bowen

I don't know if you're a fish guy.

But outside of CNY do you ever get a good haddock?

@Trace , there's some place near my family in boston that has good fish 'n chips. I don't remember it's name really, though.

In the south there's some good BBQ/Smoked style haddock. But that was when my brother was living near Louisiana.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

I mean, OK

French continental
    Spanish (tapas and etc)
    Tex Mex (world tier)
    BBQ (world tier)
    Chinese
    Japanese
    Thai
    German/Polish
    Ethiopian
    Turkish / Middle Eastern
    Greek
    Cajun
    Soul food
    Filipino
    Central American
    Brazilian

(sorry if this post came as shitty, I had a frustrating day for unrelated reasons)

but yeah I mean, this is a normal range of food for a developed city to have. there's nothing on that list you couldn't get in Brisbane, a city of comparable size, with a minimum of effort. except for Cajun and soul food, which are regional American cuisines

it's just we don't think of it as special? like I wouldn't brag to anyone about that because it's just a thing that is expected of any large city, in the same way that you expect them to have schools and banks and roads. and the way Americans talk about it always implies to me that they think it's a cultural quality specific to America, as opposed to just being something that happens in a developed nation when the population density gets high enough

like obviously you have more cities than us so there's more cities which possess this normal attribute of cities

as far as regional cuisines go you do better than we do, Australians will try to pretend there's such a thing as Australian food but there isn't. you can't get a real kebab in most of America and obviously you don't know what a meat pie is but the meat pie is just a pie with meat in it, it's frankly not much of a culinary claim to fame

am in america, have had a meat pie, have made a meat pie, there's the door to flavourtown, population: america

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited July 2015

We're not looking at individual cities though. We're looking at countries. I don't doubt tha Sydney and Seattle are comparable in available cuisine. Australia to America though? Nah.

Quid on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Food can be super regional in America, too. Just try finding decent Mexican or barbecue in Pennsylvania. And if you do, please god let me know where.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    If you don't like raw onions on burgers and sandwiches I feel you are disqualified from having an opinion on flavortown.

• Options
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Food can be super regional in America, too. Just try finding decent Mexican or barbecue in Pennsylvania. And if you do, please god let me know where.

Shakedown BBQ in Grantville near Harrisburg/Reading ?

Mexican you're on your own, BBQ is usually pretty easy to find in most places though!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Mexican you're on your own, BBQ is usually pretty easy to find in most places though!
    Not good barbecue.

I'm from the KC school, with some north Texas influenced. I've lived out east for a decade now, and nobody here does good barbecue. Passable, at times, but it's typically the culinary equivalent of a cargo cult; aping presentation with no clue about method.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    Emissary42 wrote: »

Technically speaking, even onions in pico de gallo are cooked. The acid from the lime juice and tomatoes do a number on them in the same way those juices do for ceviche.

edit - grammar

Well there you go. Raw onions are terrible in everything.
    Cabezone wrote: »
    If you don't like raw onions on burgers and sandwiches I feel you are disqualified from having an opinion on flavortown.

It's just that I like to taste, y'know, the burger, no the pungent ring of plant matter. Raw onion completely overpowers anything else in the burger/sandwich and becomes the dominant flavor, AND it lingers, screwing up every bite afterwards.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »

Not good barbecue.

I'm from the KC school, with some north Texas influenced. I've lived out east for a decade now, and nobody here does good barbecue. Passable, at times, but it's typically the culinary equivalent of a cargo cult; aping presentation with no clue about method.

Oh you should define what you mean by good BBQ then.

They're all good to me, just different. You're very unlikely to find texas/kc styled BBQ in the north, though. I dislike KC's emphasis on drenching meat in ketchup/BBQ sauce.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

I have honestly never opted for wine and wouldn't know where to begin. The place I go I tend to order a Chimay Gold with my meal. I have to be carried out afterward, but that is how you know that you have won at barbecue in Kansas City.

Fiorella's?

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Emissary42 wrote: »

edit - grammar

Well there you go. Raw onions are terrible in everything.

It's just that I like to taste, y'know, the burger, no the pungent ring of plant matter. Raw onion completely overpowers anything else in the burger/sandwich and becomes the dominant flavor, AND it lingers, screwing up every bite afterwards.

I suggest putting less than an entire onion on top.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Uh, definitely not every developed city. First, Australia is going to get a lot more immigrants than many places. It's a newer country than many so there's less stuff rooted in tradition. I wasn't the one planning food stops when i did a week in Taiwan some years back, but we definitely weren't going to find good Ethiopian food in Taipei.

Eh, I like the flavors but not the breath. Or, even worse, the way some people sweat it out.

I do a lot of ballroom dance and it's very, very tough to dance with someone who sweats out onion and garlic and has had a meal heavy in it.

On top of that, hotels that host some ballroom dancing events have an annoying tendency to serve onion heavy meals since it's a cheap way to put flavor into food. The places that host more prestigious events are a lot better at not doing that.

But in any case, caramelized or pickled onions on burgers or, well anything really, are even better than raw.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Sometimes I have leftover red onion after fixing burgers, and I just sit there eating the leftover onion and it's good.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.