As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS Vita/PSTV: It's this really obscure handheld, you've probably never heard of it

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Weird that I had to use a video to look at the portraits in Operation Babel.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Alright, finally starting up Demon Gaze. And I must be missing something. After three sessions of light exploring and grinding in the first area, I'm already running into enemies that destroy me. I wound up with a grand total of 1,500 gold after selling all the junk and only ever buying a 50 gold hat to fill an empty slot.

The default 'always have one on you' item that returns you to town costs 500 gold. A sword that is about 1 point better than the starter weapon is 1,500 gold.

What is going on here?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Alright, finally starting up Demon Gaze. And I must be missing something. After three sessions of light exploring and grinding in the first area, I'm already running into enemies that destroy me. I wound up with a grand total of 1,500 gold after selling all the junk and only ever buying a 50 gold hat to fill an empty slot.

The default 'always have one on you' item that returns you to town costs 500 gold. A sword that is about 1 point better than the starter weapon is 1,500 gold.

What is going on here?

Just walk back to town. That item is an emergency-escape.

Do you have a Healing Staff yet? It is infinite healing out of combat. And in combat, but not very potent.

First rule of Demon Gaze economy: Buy lots of Nameless Gems and fill summon-circles with them to get loot for selling. Nameless generally get better stuff than other gems, and cost less to buy, at the disadvantage that they give you random stuff, which doesn't matter for selling.

Other things to know: Artifact Gems are limited per playthrough. Using one with two Increase Gems (sort of rare/expensive, but not limited per playthrough) gets the most out of it.

PLA on
  • Options
    I haven't bought the escape item yet, since it costs so much. I'm just used to always keeping a few on hand in these games, but that's ridiculously expensive here. Right now I just walk around until I run into something that almost kills me then flee back to town.

I don't know where you get that, if it's in the shop I didn't look at it because I don't have any magic user types at the moment.

I didn't even know you could buy gems, I wondered why I ran out so fast. Guess I'll give that a shot.

This game has some of the worst tutorials and help menus I've ever seen.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Yeah, there's some confusing stuff. Healing Staff can drop from circles, but there's also one for sale in the item-shop. Not in the weapon-shop. It can be treated as a regular consumable item, except that the stack never runs out. This even works with the skill that uses items multiple times in one turn.

The return-item loses value in this game because the class you're forced to use learns a spell that does the same thing. So you'd eventually only need it if something has gone terribly wrong.

PLA on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    So I got my memory card in yesterday. After loading every PSP, psx and digital game I own I still have 10gb free. I'll probably uninstall a bunch of the stuff I've already beaten. I was just curious how full it'd get.

Still pretty impressive considering I primarily buy physical (up to 34 physical games.)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    The very first thing you want to do is get your self 4/5 party members. By unknown gems at the shop, use them at circles, and sell all equipment that's not an upgrade

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Speaking of Experience, I'm not convinced that Speed in Abyss actually does anything to evasion. Japanese sources don't seem to mention it, even though english manual and english folk-wisdom does. Actually, japanese sources are more concerned with the danger of wasting points on it.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Speaking of Experience, I'm not convinced that Speed in Abyss actually does anything to evasion. Japanese sources don't seem to mention it, even though english manual and english folk-wisdom does. Actually, japanese sources are more concerned with the danger of wasting points on it.

The stats are slightly different in what they do from Demon's Gaze. And I'm not convinced either. We do know for a fact that it's turn order + off-had damage (up to 25) at least, and there's still a lot of benefit to acting first.

In boss fights, the first thing I do is cast the Hit% + and - buffs/debuffs anyways.

• Options
    So I used the last of my money to buy two Nameless Gems for 200 gold. Went into the field, used them, came back and sold what I'd picked up for...110 gold. Then rent was 60 gold. I can't get any further in the area because the skull encounter things spawns a boss goblin that infinitely spawns goblins and hides behind them...I think I killed fifteen before giving up. I can't use any more of the circles, because they all spawn the boss demon, that one-shots either party member. I tried saving and resetting, fleeing and using another gem, everything. Every circle left always spawns the boss.

I do not understand this game at all.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Basically, you can't really advance anywhere in Demon Gaze until you have at least 4 party members. Random battles happen even without using the circles, its just the circles guarantee loot drops. Its very much in the vain of old school dungeon crawlers. Avoid the circles, and if you're having trouble staying alive in random fights, stay near the exit so you can walk out any time you need to. Really, you need to grind for gold for that 4th party member.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    The regular battles I can win drop a ridiculously low amount of gold and exp and such. Like 20g and 100exp when I need 1000 gold for one new character and multiple thousands of exp to go up a level. Quick search online shows I'll need 5k for the next character, and I assume the last is even worse.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    There's a reason its called grinding. There's no quick method, no simple "Do this and you're done" option. Your options are to either grind for gold or stop playing.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Have you found the difficulty-setting in the cellar of the inn?

I did Red City on the default setting without even grinding, though, and the second bossfight in Red City with a party of three, so you may just have gotten a rough start. Maybe that you didn't know about Nameless Gems is what set you back, or something. Early Nameless-drops should sell for more than what the gems cost, though, so that's odd.

My first people were ney-paladin and ney-samurai, which are fairly durable setups.

Edit: Oh! How much are you using Comet? It is basically a healer. Can also hit somewhat hard, early on. (Influenced by the Gazer's weapon, so consider giving him loot-priority.) I recommend using it as much as possible. After some point, you ought to never run out of gauge without heavy use of demon-skills (which spend extra gauge).
    Basically, do not save it for trouble. If it's sitting at almost full, it's going to waste.

PLA on
  • Options
    But hey, by endgame you might have a Fighter who dual-wields a two-handed sword/axe in each hand hitting an enemy seven times with both every round with magically buffed attacks.

• Options
    Carnage is pretty awesome with good evasion. Unlike Carnage EX, it is totally spammable and safe.

• Options
    Carnage is pretty awesome with good evasion. Unlike Carnage EX, it is totally spammable and safe.

Carnage EX is perfectly safe on an Assassin. :D

• Options
    The important part is that you can ora-ora-ora.

• Options
    @Reynolds This Google Doc might be helpful to you.

Also, remember that if you have any weapons that cast something when used as an item: they're unlimited and need not be equipped. It's free spells.

• Options
    The real not-secret of demon gaze is that Paladin is op

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Meh. Never used one. Never needed one.

Assassin broke the game for me.

• Options
    It's pretty funny when an enemy tries to hit everybody but targets the demon, which is functionally a separate party.

Healer's Holy Shield is as always one of the best defenses. Like dodging, it makes a hit not happen at all, so you can't get poisoned or anything. It can also guarantee a few Carnage-hits on accurate enemies.

• Options
    It's pretty funny when an enemy tries to hit everybody but targets the demon, which is functionally a separate party.

Healer's Holy Shield is as always one of the best defenses. Like dodging, it makes a hit not happen at all, so you can't get poisoned or anything. It can also guarantee a few Carnage-hits on accurate enemies.

Yeah. I casted Holy Shield a lot as a cross-class skill equipped to either my Wizard or Ranger.

Combined with Mirage and the Wizard defense spells for big enemy attacks would take known incoming massive attacks down to nothing.

• Options

Meh. Never used one. Never needed one.

Assassin broke the game for me.

Which I mean all well and good I guess, but that takes knowing what you're doing or assassin is actually pretty shitty.

Paladin takes absolutely zero game knowledge to be op. Just spam all the abilities.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Re: Hatoful Boyfriend

Things Hatoful Boyfriend is NOT:
    1. A dating Sim

So if you like visual novels don't let the 'dating sim' moniker throw you off, because a visual novel is what Hatoful Boyfriend actually is. The dating sim elements in the first part of the game exist so you can control which story you see each play-through. None of the stories end in anything more than a good friendship.

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I can confirm after booting up Ar Nosurge again that there's been no new updates other than up to 1.03 I believe. 1.01 fixed the NPC dialogue and the issue with getting stuck in Phase 2, 1.03 I think just fixed an issue with purification sites being open before they were supposed to, and fixed the audio issues.

So basically concerning Ar Nosurge Plus, if they fixed the TxBIOS slots, added DLC, made costumes available in NG+ and maybe helped the localization and difficulty, that's a pretty good update. They didn't fix everything though.

Using Delta's Delay Burst skill still has a high chance to make the game lag bad. Considering the small framerate issues Ar Nosurge Plus already has, I wouldn't use that skill too much.

There's also a boss you fight multiple times in the game that shows up in the beginning of Delta's Phase 2. That boss' stats are SWAPPED between the first and second fight, meaning the boss is unreasonably difficult when you first fight it.

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »
    I can confirm after booting up Ar Nosurge again that there's been no new updates other than up to 1.03 I believe. 1.01 fixed the NPC dialogue and the issue with getting stuck in Phase 2, 1.03 I think just fixed an issue with purification sites being open before they were supposed to, and fixed the audio issues.

So basically concerning Ar Nosurge Plus, if they fixed the TxBIOS slots, added DLC, made costumes available in NG+ and maybe helped the localization and difficulty, that's a pretty good update. They didn't fix everything though.

Using Delta's Delay Burst skill still has a high chance to make the game lag bad. Considering the small framerate issues Ar Nosurge Plus already has, I wouldn't use that skill too much.

There's also a boss you fight multiple times in the game that shows up in the beginning of Delta's Phase 2. That boss' stats are SWAPPED between the first and second fight, meaning the boss is unreasonably difficult when you first fight it.

Aside from the very minor typo section I mentioned earlier, it's way better than the PS3 version and I have no real complaints about it as a whole. There are no bugs like the TxBIOS bugs that I've noticed.

I haven't noticed any issues with Delay Burst that make it not worth using, myself. But if you're playing on Veteran, there are other things you should be doing with your skills than using Delay Burst, so that is moot.

I did notice the weird difficulty curve between the two 8th D boss fights, and that would explain things a bit. However it's not insurmountable even on Veteran with some proper preparatory steps. You can craft some gear on Ion's side that grant an extra charge of block, an extra skill charge(assign it to circle), and one extra item use per turn. This helps a lot with keeping that boss in break status even despite the mismatched stats, reducing its attacks per turn by one.

Also, after some early game testing, I've found that higher difficulties appear to grant higher exp and item rewards, so a bit of grinding always helps.

• Options
    I'll take a look at that guide later, thanks.

I randomly got an axe as a drop and that completely changed the game, as I now kill everything in one hit instead of needing multiple turns with both people attacking. With that I was finally able to advance and beat the first version of the two bosses, then the actual bosses, and I'm up to four party members now. It just has a really weird initial difficulty spike to get over.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

I randomly got an axe as a drop and that completely changed the game, as I now kill everything in one hit instead of needing multiple turns with both people attacking. With that I was finally able to advance and beat the first version of the two bosses, then the actual bosses, and I'm up to four party members now. It just has a really weird initial difficulty spike to get over.

It absolutely has a terrible hump to get over at the start, it's pretty much smooth sailing from here with the exception of a couple of bosses who will cheerfully hand you your teeth in a bag the first time you meet them.

• Options

It absolutely has a terrible hump to get over at the start, it's pretty much smooth sailing from here with the exception of a couple of bosses who will cheerfully hand you your teeth in a bag the first time you meet them.

When you enter a circle and you suddenly hear the music change to the best theme in the game for the first time, you know you're in for a...treat.

Yes... a treat.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

When you enter a circle and you suddenly hear the music change to the best theme in the game for the first time, you know you're in for a...treat.

Yes... a treat.

Sounds like they might be better off napping in a meadow?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Venomfly isn't required for progress.

• Options
    Ar NoSurge side note - Prim is such a little shithead. It's like dealing with that one kid from that one Twilight Zone episode. (you know the one.)

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Ar NoSurge side note - Prim is such a little shithead. It's like dealing with that one kid from that one Twilight Zone episode. (you know the one.)

It's the timeless warning. Don't give children phenomenal cosmic powers. Kids are dicks and will use their powers to be bigger dicks, even to their parents.

Especially to their parents...

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Oooh the team making Eitr wants to put Eitr on our Vitrs! Please let this happen!

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular

That's pretty par for the course for a lot of dungeon crawlers. Getting established is the hardest thing to do, but once you get there, things start to click in and the fun picks up. Though some people may consider the desperate struggle for every scrap of resources at the start to be immensely enjoyable...

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Due to INTERNET DRAMA, the awesome Ciel nosurge translator is taking down the text summaries/translations and videos at the end of the month.
    http://www.unit03.net/view/Ciel_nosurge/Story

Read or Archive before then if interested.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    Alright, so I'm in the forest now, and I've got a full party. Gazer/Paladin/Samurai with Wizard/Healer in back. I wanted an archer type, but oh well. Just have to power level the lower two, the Healer should hit a useful level right as this healing staff stops solving all my problems.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Alright, so I'm in the forest now, and I've got a full party. Gazer/Paladin/Samurai with Wizard/Healer in back. I wanted an archer type, but oh well. Just have to power level the lower two, the Healer should hit a useful level right as this healing staff stops solving all my problems.

That's a pretty standard cookie cutter party, which means the exact opposite of what I went through the game with. It'll be a little bit before your Wizard starts being useful and your damage will be really low with that party for a while, but you'll be tanky if you build it right.

• Options
    Cookie-cutter is cookie-cutter for reasons. Rock solid.

The wizard learns a "magic missile" type thing that doesn't cost MP, too.