As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The newer action figures (and other toys) thread (NSF56k)

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    143999 wrote: »
    Look, if you need to, like, pay your rent, that's one thing. But I'm sitting here looking at my Apoc right now, and I can't come up with a combination of mainline toys that add up to its cost that I'd rather have.

I can, however, sit here and wish that it had proper onboard lights instead of those weird Planet X modular light thingies. Those are a pain.

EDIT: I mean, it turns into the Nemesis. Another heaven and another earth will have to pass before we get one of those again.

Yeah the missed opportunity is definitely a big part of the mental discussion. There doesn't seem to be interest from other 3P designers to do the video game aesthetic so it isn't likely that there will be a glut of them either. Whereas if you miss one devastator there's not only 5000 more you could possibly get someone's used version.

• Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    The lights are just an annoying design decision. Instead of having built them into the thing itself, with wires and switches and whatnot, Planet X designed Apocalypse and Genesis with these little self-contained light things about the size of a Rolo that you kind of fiddle with to turn on and then shove into holes on the toy itself. They're less convenient than a switch, but they're probably more convenient from a design perspective, since you don't have to build room into your product for said wires and switches.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    I saw them in a review and they seemed pretty cool, but I don't imagine ever taking them out if I had them. Does the figure look good without the lights? That seems to be the only option at this point any way.

• Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    It looks like a robot dinosaur that turns into the Nemesis. So, yes.

The holes that the lights go in have spring-loaded pieces in them that keep it from having, you know, holes in the design if you don't put the light Rolos in them.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    What if you just put regular Rolos in there?

• Options
    The structural integrity of Rolos in the vacuum of space has not been tested and is therefore not supported.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    there has to be some catch with robotkingdom. apocalypse is listed there for $75 less than bbts and anywhere else i look. $279 vs $354. they also have the individual parts listed so i think i am looking at the combo deal. i vaguely recall there shipping is really high there? i could be wrong, never ordered from them before

http://www.robotkingdom.com/px-11.html

vs

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/50962

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    In my experience yes robotkingdom has more expensive shipping, but I can't imagine it being $100 more

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    i was incorrectly remembering the bbts price. still that seems like a significant difference.

Edit: anyone know if a flintlock pistol that would work with neca predators? The elder one looks like the one from the end it 2 but doesn't come with it as an accessory

edit 2: in case anyone was wondering: $89 shipping from robotkingdom.

ouch.

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Liokaiser set on sale over at tfsource for Father's day

https://tfsource.com/combiner-wars/liokaiser/

There is a part of me that is tempted... Just to get a "Sky Lynx", but at that price I'm not too sure if I want the rest of him.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    I was able to get sky lynx a while ago and I like him, but I can't say get the rest for just him. He is cool and fun, but he has legitimate limitations

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Recently got a new shelves, so was able to re-arrange my ever expanding Deadpool collection.

txcfmd6kjdju.jpg
    9rh928drdbr2.jpg

• Options
    Hasbro Toy Shop has the Age of Extinction Optimus Prime & Sideswipe on sale for $59.99 if anybody is interested. Also free shipping since it is over $49.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    So Hobbylink Japan now have to option to show prices in your local currency. I wonder if will let people bypass the paypal currency conversion fees?

EDIT: Also is it just me or does MP Sunstreaker's chin look like it can cut diamonds? :P

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    The Amazon-IKEA deal thus far does not appear to include Detolfs, damnit.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    Heatwave wrote: »
    So Hobbylink Japan now have to option to show prices in your local currency. I wonder if will let people bypass the paypal currency conversion fees?

EDIT: Also is it just me or does MP Sunstreaker's chin look like it can cut diamonds? :P

I thought they always had this option (the showing the price in your local currency)?

Also, thanks! Now I can never unsee his chin, it is almost as epic as Bruce Campbell's.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    "I like the cut of your jib, Sideswipe"

"Thanks, Sunstreaker. I like the cut of your chin."

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    You'll carry that weight:

6GKlG7N.jpg

Edit: also Figma Phoenix Wright:

VhBxmxS.jpg

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular

space cowboy

Where's the action in that figure? jk jk, but it is a bummer no good articulated figures really exist of the Bebop crew, like a Figma line

Like, Cowboy Bebop was a huge thing right? And there's like a single Play Arts of Spike, and basically no other articulated figures, what the hell

And not just Cowboy Bebop either. Gundam, one of the most important animes, and yeah there's billions of figures and kits and such of the Gundams, but where's the Figma Amuro and Char? Yeah, they finally showed a prototype of a Figuarts Char I believe, but that's been awhile and there's been no word since

And Evangelion, barely any figures of the kids, and like nothing of the Angels, but plenty of the Evas

I don't get it

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017

space cowboy

Where's the action in that figure? jk jk, but it is a bummer no good articulated figures really exist of the Bebop crew, like a Figma line

Like, Cowboy Bebop was a huge thing right? And there's like a single Play Arts of Spike, and basically no other articulated figures, what the hell

And not just Cowboy Bebop either. Gundam, one of the most important animes, and yeah there's billions of figures and kits and such of the Gundams, but where's the Figma Amuro and Char? Yeah, they finally showed a prototype of a Figuarts Char I believe, but that's been awhile and there's been no word since

And Evangelion, barely any figures of the kids, and like nothing of the Angels, but plenty of the Evas

I don't get it

There's a Banpresto Char from back in the day I think.. not sure of it's quality though.

And yeah I was just talking about this on reddit, there's a serious lack of cowboy bebop figures out there. Something like Figma or Figuarts would be perfect for them. Just look at the Figuarts Lupin The Third figure and you'll see that they couldn't possibly go wrong with a Spike Spiegel.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I just want some good evangelion action figures. The SOC Spec versions are hindered by the shitty removable armor that keep falling off when you play with it.

The robot damashii look nice at first glance, but they seem to have hideous hip joints that leave huge gaps when doing things like the splits.

The closest thing I have to a good evangelion figure is the revoltech of 2.22 Unit 02 but it'd prefer something a little bigger and sturdier. Plus it also has a bit of a gappy leg

Also I'd like a better plugsuit for figma Asuka. She's my favourite character in the series but there's no way I'm getting the version they made. It looks awful.

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    I don't typically preorder things. Of the maybe 3 times I have 2 we're delayed, and by a significant amount of time. First was MP soundwave a few years ago. The second more recently was the final series of heroes of the Storm figures. They were slated for release in January. Bbts is listed "june 2017" and neca is claiming "summer" on their site

I know there have been worse waits for things especially if you look at Kickstarter. This is just super frustrating

• Options
    Managed to swing by TRU and found a skullitron. I left it there because I want to try and see if I can get it at Walmart for $5 cheaper. Anyone know if the figure is worth it at $20?

• Options
    Managed to swing by TRU and found a skullitron. I left it there because I want to try and see if I can get it at Walmart for $5 cheaper. Anyone know if the figure is worth it at $20?

Think that's the one people have been saying is loose?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Didn't know about that. The head sculpt is cool, but if there are known issue I'm glad I passed. I was sorta tempted by bisk, but I mostly want him because of the name. I don't need to own the toy to enjoy that.

• Options
    Didn't know about that. The head sculpt is cool, but if there are known issue I'm glad I passed. I was sorta tempted by bisk, but I mostly want him because of the name. I don't need to own the toy to enjoy that.

Yeah, this is one guy's post on the TFW forums.
    I nabbed the last Skullitron from Grossmont Tru earlier today, finally ending my toy drought. Just got home and popped him open... and I can definitely say, his best quality....? *sigh* his wiggles :rolleyes2 good LORD this guy is loose as hell. Which is an easy fix, but man it's a damn shame, cause otherwise he's a damn cool toy, good poseability, awesome paint work, decent transformation, but man. He got dem wiggles. He's definitely not the type of character they'd allow in towns where dancing is illegial :lol

So guess you can fix the looseness?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Meh I can live without it. $20 I can out towards something else. I'm sure several of the movie toys will be on clearance

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

According to the TFwiki, Skullitron is a TRU exclusive.
    So, I'm guessing that's probably a no-go for Walmart.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

According to the TFwiki, Skullitron is a TRU exclusive.
    So, I'm guessing that's probably a no-go for Walmart.

hmmm, that complicates matters but i can probably hold out for a sale

• Options
    I wish all of Skullitron was painted with that patina look, as is it looks weird with the unpainted gray plastic parts

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I'm looking for something that I cannot remember. I'm hoping you guys can help.

In the late 70s, early 80s, there was a line of action figures, which I thought were related to the 6 Million Dollar Man line, but it doesn't seem that way from my research.

There was a 12" clear plastic robot, with lights inside, and in the head, you could look thru the back, and out the eye for some kind of robot vision.

I remember going to the toy store in the mall and seeing this thing multiple times, and never getting one. And now I can't even remember what it was. And my google-fu fails me. Please help.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

I nabbed the last Skullitron from Grossmont Tru earlier today, finally ending my toy drought. Just got home and popped him open... and I can definitely say, his best quality....? *sigh* his wiggles :rolleyes2 good LORD this guy is loose as hell. Which is an easy fix, but man it's a damn shame, cause otherwise he's a damn cool toy, good poseability, awesome paint work, decent transformation, but man. He got dem wiggles. He's definitely not the type of character they'd allow in towns where dancing is illegial :lol

You can fix looseness on any joints. Just add some clear nail polish to the peg or ball portion.

• Options

In the late 70s, early 80s, there was a line of action figures, which I thought were related to the 6 Million Dollar Man line, but it doesn't seem that way from my research.

There was a 12" clear plastic robot, with lights inside, and in the head, you could look thru the back, and out the eye for some kind of robot vision.

I remember going to the toy store in the mall and seeing this thing multiple times, and never getting one. And now I can't even remember what it was. And my google-fu fails me. Please help.

I've been trying to think of a robot that looks Iike this and can't find anything. For some reason it does ring a bell, but just can't put my finger on it.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Heffling wrote: »
    Betsuni wrote: »

You can fix looseness on any joints. Just add some clear nail polish to the peg or ball portion.
    I've found using clear gloss paint works best as it seems more durable than nail polish.

Although the nail polish I used in the past may have just been poor quality.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Do you know if it belonged to a franchise, or had one of those stupid marketing buzzwords like Magna Lock™ technology? It would help immensely if it were, because non-franchised toys in general are the Wii shovelware of the toy world and may be extremely difficult to isolate without more specifics.

• Options
    Can you describe or draw what the robot kinda looks like? Humanoid shape or not? Humanoid head/face or something like from Lost in Space? The whole thing was clear?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    It was humanoid shaped, clear plastic all the way thru, with "robot parts" inside it's torso and head, and was the friend of some big name hero. I believe. One of the eyes in the head, you could look thru the back of the head, and see like a little target out the eyeball. That part seems like the 6 Million Dollar Man toys. And I thought it was part of that line, but I can find no mention of it anywhere.

It was some alien robot, for some space line, I think. All I remember is going to to the mall, and when we got to the toy store, they had a display out front with these action figures, and I would pick up the package, and look thru it's eye scope thingy.

Edit: to clarify a bit, it was a large action figure, on the scale of the old GI Joe or Mego toys, and I seem to remember it as a continuation of another toy line, but "In Spaaace!" That kind of thing. I could be wrong about that part. It was mostly clear plastic, and had just a few robot looking internal pieces. Mainly in the head and a bit in the torso. OH! And it had some kind of light on the front that you could activate with a switch or lever on the back that was supposed to be some kind of laser weapon, I think.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Kinda sounds like a Micronaut

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Mego even produced the line in America in the 70's

This discussion has been closed.