As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bojack Horseman: Free Churros

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Eddy wrote: »
    I binged the final episodes. What a truly great show. I'm just so happy that it existed.

I have nothing to say that a thousand other people haven't already said about how this show portrays substance abuse, depression, self-hatred, growth, but most of all the constant and neverending process of becoming. I just want to thank everyone who contributed to this show because it truly achieved what it aimed for, I think.

Very general ending spoilers:
    I think they ended the show with a great encapsulation of a mature and thoughtful message: that life goes on, as painful as it is, and we bear it the best we can. The two possible endings presented by ElJeffe, salvation or damnation, was a false dilemma, because life doesn't end on that one final satisfactory note where a person is neatly and finally judged to have been saved or not. All we can do is continually try to get better, and help others with their own journeys. It's all there is.

I mostly agree, though I would say
    I would probably describe this as salvation with qualifications. I definitely took it as hopeful, just in a realistic way. Bojack was never going to wind up with a strictly happy ending. He's just done too many things to too many people. But he's set himself on the right track, he's made whatever amends it's possible to make, and he's trying. He will be trying forever, and the past will always be there, even as he's forced to cut ties with every part of it that ever meant anything to him.

I can imagine that Bojack will be okay. This was as happy an ending as we were ever going to get.

Overall, I loved it. I tore through the episodes mostly in the span of a morning.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Watched the rest of the season.
    I appreciate the jape with the near-death experience, as serious as it was handled it was also an amusing self-awareness of the material they were writing with. I very dislike programming that tackles similar subject matter and then decides that the only endgame is to die; It's a terrible message to send to people who might be struggling with the same issues.

They concluded it about as well as I think they could have in a type of show that's easy to kamikaze the ending for. I've got no complaints.

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Did anyone else love the students in the class? I loved the students in the class.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Did anyone else love the students in the class? I loved the students in the class.

There was a good use of rule of threes with them

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Sad that
    we never really got closure with Hollyhock, which I guess sort've strongly implies what the closure is.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Sad that
    we never really got closure with Hollyhock, which I guess sort've strongly implies what the closure is.
    On the plus side, as long as nobody dies, they have decades to reconcile later if Bojack stays on a good path.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    God, there was one piece of dialogue in this half-season that just absolutely broke me.
    “When I tell my daughter the story of the great love of my life, I want it to have a happy ending.”
    “Is it possible that you letting me go is the happy ending?”

Just... fuck. There was a lot in these episodes that was hard-hitting but that one went straight to my heart.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I absolutely loved Secretariats poem and performance, it was amazing.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    I absolutely loved Secretariats poem and performance, it was amazing.
    The way he read the poem was harrowing. The way calm acceptance slowly morphs into pure panic was an amazing performance, but made me incredibly uneasy.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Oh my god though,
    Pickles' break-up text.
    Also, Samantha Bee.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I think I'm gonna put off watching this for a while. Partly because I'm not ready for it to end, but also because reading comments here, I don't think I'm ready for the crushing finale.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I think I'm gonna put off watching this for a while. Partly because I'm not ready for it to end, but also because reading comments here, I don't think I'm ready for the crushing finale.

It just hit me especially hard, I think, because I misunderstood what the show was fundamentally about.
    I wanted to see BoJack overcome the trauma and mental illness that shaped his life, but the show wasn't really concerned about that. It was more concerned about saying that BoJack's circumstances don't excuse his actions and holding him accountable for the things he did.
    In the finale BoJack's social support system disappears, with some characters just drifting apart naturally and others making the conscious choice to excise him from their lives. There's not really any sense that BoJack will get better and overcome his trauma. He'll just keep trying and failing to change over and over until he dies. I personally relate to BoJack in some ways and fear that his lonely fate is similar to wait awaits me, but maybe I've been focusing too much on my similarities to him and not enough on what makes us different.

EDIT: I just saw where someone on another forum had a similar reaction to me:
    One thing I will say is that, because I've spent a lot of time identifying with Bojack on depression, seeing him come to the point of losing everything brought on this identity crisis of "Am I the same way? Am I a piece of shit who everyone deserves to leave/cut out?"

The answer was no (I never drank or did drugs, nor had any of the problems associated with that, for example), but seeing that happen is kind of hard to handle when someone, emotionally identifies with the protagonist, even if their actions have next to nothing in common.

I do wonder if the plan for the show's finale significantly changed course after #MeToo or if it would have always turned out this way.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Great end to a series

Really epitomizes the saying I've heard in AA that just because you get sober doesn't mean life stops happening

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Hey, wouldn’t it be funny if this night was the last time we ever talked to each other?

The rest of the finale was rough, but that moment destroyed me. Like in the silence following that moment, the writers reached out of the screen and whispered "yup this is really it"

God, what an incredible show. What a great finale. I wish there'd be more.

naengwen on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

It just hit me especially hard, I think, because I misunderstood what the show was fundamentally about.
    I wanted to see BoJack overcome the trauma and mental illness that shaped his life, but the show wasn't really concerned about that. It was more concerned about saying that BoJack's circumstances don't excuse his actions and holding him accountable for the things he did.
    In the finale BoJack's social support system disappears, with some characters just drifting apart naturally and others making the conscious choice to excise him from their lives. There's not really any sense that BoJack will get better and overcome his trauma. He'll just keep trying and failing to change over and over until he dies. I personally relate to BoJack in some ways and fear that his lonely fate is similar to wait awaits me, but maybe I've been focusing too much on my similarities to him and not enough on what makes us different.

EDIT: I just saw where someone on another forum had a similar reaction to me:
    One thing I will say is that, because I've spent a lot of time identifying with Bojack on depression, seeing him come to the point of losing everything brought on this identity crisis of "Am I the same way? Am I a piece of shit who everyone deserves to leave/cut out?"

The answer was no (I never drank or did drugs, nor had any of the problems associated with that, for example), but seeing that happen is kind of hard to handle when someone, emotionally identifies with the protagonist, even if their actions have next to nothing in common.

I do wonder if the plan for the show's finale significantly changed course after #MeToo or if it would have always turned out this way.

It's worth keeping in mind that
    This ending is, in some ways, also what's best for Bojack. He will never have the opportunities he did, but he recognizes his toxicity, has reached closure, and can finally move on. If he continued to cling to his old life, it would be bad for everyone involved, including him. His past relationships are full of abuse, manipulation, and psychological addictions, but now he can make new, honest relationships and avoid those cycles.

It's also worth keeping in mind that he's not just depressed and that's it. The guy has been involved in lots of super dangerous criminal activity with numerous victims, including children, including the death of a person who he was a family-like figure for, on top of a long history of emotional abuse to others. You have to do a lot of truly horrible stuff and have a ton of opportunity to catch up to being anything like Bojack.

• Options
    Looking back at Bojack's friends after the finale:
    Diane is definitely going to move on.
    I get the sense that Todd is going to move on, with the 'fun while it lasted', footsteps washed away in the sea scene.
    Princess Carolyn sounds like it could go either way. Her line 'I know some great people' in regards to Bojack's request for help could mean 'I will get some people besides me to work with you, because my life is entering a new chapter and it won't include you' or 'I will be here to keep helping you because our history means we'll always be friends'.
    And I think Mister Peanutbutter is still going to be there, I didn't really get the sense that he was done with Bojack. He's an airhead but feels like the perpetual optimist who always wants to see the best in Bojack.

Those seem like the biggest people in his life, friendwise.

There's always the chance that he will find new friends who can help him going forwards too.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    finale
    That ending hit worse than other moments in the show did.

BoJack lives, faces consequences, still fights the same battles he's always had, will likely get sucked back into Hollywoo garbage (note how quickly he threw away helping people and volunteering when PC brought it up), but without any of his friends or social support system.

It's fair, because no one is owed support especially when it comes to toxic, violent people, but it's just kind of...incredibly tough to watch.

Never thought a 'middle of the road' ending would have the most impact.

!
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Favorite episodes time?

Favorite episodes time.

In zero particular order.

Good While it Lasted
    Say Anything
    Surprise
    View from Halfway Down
    That's too Much, Man!
    Time's Arrow
    Stupid Piece of Shit
    Free Churro

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Exceptionally proud of Bojack (last episode)
    He accepted Mr. Peanutbutter's help with minimal snark, and actually seemed appreciative that the dude stuck with him despite having no good reason to. The fact that they are both in transitional periods means that they can help each other.

I guess
    Hollywoob
    stars and celebrities gotta stick together, though.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    HiroconHirocon Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Three laugh-out-loud moments for me in this season, and all three of them came from Mr. Peanutbutter:
    And don't get me started on Greg, that guy I met at the gas station one time!
    The doctor tells me, when I get sad, there's a meme that always cheers me up, it's called "Sad Dog."
    D as in "Birthday Dad"

Hirocon on
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Finished the show (last 2 episodes) this morning before work. That was a mistake. (The timing, that is, not watching the episodes.) Been thinking about it all day.

The three episodes (of the show entire) that stick most in my mind are the one where Sara Lynn dies, Beatrice's flashback episode, and "Halfway down".
    Especially Secretariat's poem. That was brutal.

And Arnett gives a stunning performance.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Final episodes thoughts...
    I liked the 2nd to last episode better than the final episode as a series ending point. The final episode immediately pulling a "lol jk" on it kinda fell flat with me and deflated the whole thing. I loved the implication that this was not Bojack's first near death experience, and the slow brutal realization that he's not coming back this time.

The scene with Bojack and Diane on the roof also did nothing for me, largely because I never liked the character of Diane and I think Bojack is better off without her in his life, even if he's too stupid and dependent to realize it.

Outside of that, it didn't really feel like a series finale. If the show wasn't cancelled they could have run this episode without changing a thing. They left the story of BoJack very much unfinished. Part of me wonders how intentional that was.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I liked the 2nd to last episode better than the final episode as a series ending point. The final episode immediately pulling a "lol jk" on it kinda fell flat with me and deflated the whole thing. I loved the implication that this was not Bojack's first near death experience, and the slow brutal realization that he's not coming back this time.

The scene with Bojack and Diane on the roof also did nothing for me, largely because I never liked the character of Diane and I think Bojack is better off without her in his life, even if he's too stupid and dependent to realize it.

Outside of that, it didn't really feel like a series finale. If the show wasn't cancelled they could have run this episode without changing a thing. They left the story of BoJack very much unfinished. Part of me wonders how intentional that was.

All of it was intentional
    Bojack dying is a cliche "troublesome man" ending and would run completely counterpoint to what the entire show was about. He would not face justice for the shit he's done to people.

If he got out of paying his dues for the crap he's done, I feel like that would be an actual cop out.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

Bojack dying is a cliche "troublesome man" ending and would run completely counterpoint to what the entire show was about. He would not face justice for the shit he's done to people.

If he got out of paying his dues for the crap he's done, I feel like that would be an actual cop out.
    Damn near the whole show was about Bojack getting out of paying his dues. Also, immediately bringing him back to life felt like a huge clichéd cop-out. The writers were clever enough to explore the aftermath of Bojack's death, if they were so inclined.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

Breaking Bad spoilers:
    The bolded in jungle's spoiler was one of the things I didn't like with Breaking Bad.

Also, I like Diane.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

Damn near the whole show was about Bojack getting out of paying his dues. Also, immediately bringing him back to life felt like a huge clichéd cop-out. The writers were clever enough to explore the aftermath of Bojack's death, if they were so inclined.

I mean

I can't disagree more with everything you just wrote
    Him dying is the easy way out for Bojack and for the writers. Him actually having to face consequences for acting like a piece of shit and still come out not like a total piece of shit was by far the more challenging route to take, and they took it.

jungleroomx on
  • Options

I mean

Him dying is the easy way out for Bojack and for the writers. Him actually having to face consequences for acting like a piece of shit and still come out not like a total piece of shit was by far the more challenging route to take, and they took it.
    I don't see what's challenging about having Bojack "face consequences" mostly off screen. He's in prison, off screen, and he gets out soon. Has he changed? They don't answer that. Has prison actually been any kind of punishment for him? They don't answer that. Has he truly faced any kind of reckoning at all or was prison just an extended AA meeting for Bojack? They don't answer that. It's all off screen and not really addressed. It's not challenging, it's leaving the show open for another season that isn't coming. His arc is unfinished. That isn't brave writing, it's just unfinished writing. If it was a conscious choice I can respect that, but I don't have to like it or agree with it.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    the roof scene is the thing that had me bawling tbh

poo
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    The ending
    is going to feel unfinished if you think of the show as the story of Bojack Horseman. In retrospect, I think it's much more clearly the story of Bojack's friendships, especially with Diane, and the final episode very much closed the curtain on that.

• Options

I mean

I don't see what's challenging about having Bojack "face consequences" mostly off screen. He's in prison, off screen, and he gets out soon. Has he changed? They don't answer that. Has prison actually been any kind of punishment for him? They don't answer that. Has he truly faced any kind of reckoning at all or was prison just an extended AA meeting for Bojack? They don't answer that. It's all off screen and not really addressed. It's not challenging, it's leaving the show open for another season that isn't coming. His arc is unfinished. That isn't brave writing, it's just unfinished writing. If it was a conscious choice I can respect that, but I don't have to like it or agree with it.

As a great wizard once said, "there are no happy endings because nothing ends."

• Options

I mean

What?
    They hinted that he has changed (honeydew and not gorging on cotton candy until he throws up), but still is the same Bojack within 10 seconds of each other (when he find out his movie is trending). He's in prison, which is a punishment, and his conversation to Diane shows a form of institutionalization and a fear of going back into the real world (which is a real thing and causes a lot of recidivism).

As I said in the SE++ thread, there's an old adage that if you're not writing about the most interesting part of a characters life, you need to do that instead. Bojack's interesting days are over, given that the show is ending, but his actual days are far from it. Life goes on after the thrill of living is gone, life's a bitch but you keep on living, and all that.

He lost some friends because he's toxic. It's not a huge, grand punishment but a subtle jab at the way life goes. "Wouldn't it be crazy if this was the last time we spoke?" was the writers acknowledging this. Anything other than this would feel like it went against a large part of what the show has built up for 6 seasons: Closure is bullshit.

• Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    Ending spoilers:
    I kind of agree with the above sentiments that the penultimate episode was a much better ending that the finale. I liked the finale, but it really did seem like Bojack was going to pay the ultimate price for his misdeeds, and then... he didn't. I understand that living with pain is a lot more difficult than the alternative (at least for Bojack) but it seemed to just take the impact of the previous episode away when it turns out, nope, not dead after all!

Anyway, we all know the real tragedy here:
    Bojack is over and Tuca & Bertie didn't get renewed, which is a GODDAMN TRAVESTY

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    HiroconHirocon Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I don't mind that Bojack lived, but the fake out in the episode 15 end credits where we hear a heartrate monitor flatline and then several seconds later start beating again made me angry. It felt like a cheap tease and a cop out hearing the flatline only to immediately take it back. I would have preferred it if the episode 15 end credits just played over complete silence.

They could have even still opened episode 16 the way they did, with the heartrate flatline from the finale of "Horsin' Around" and the deceptive article headlines flashing by and I wouldn't have minded. As the start of another episode, it would feel disconnected enough that it wouldn't feel like a cheap take-back at that point.

Hirocon on
  • Options
    Ending a story by killling the character is considered amateur hour in a lot of circles. They instead went for the rebirth/baptism angle.

• Options
    the roof scene is the thing that had me bawling tbh

This is bizarre to me because I super did not like Diane and I have a hard time putting myself into the head of someone who liked that character. I don't think I can even properly explain why I didn't like her.
    Hollyhock cutting off Bojack was much more crushing to me. Maybe because that's family.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Re: Diane
    As an artistic person who was on meds long enough to experience that fuzziness, but who was able to stop using them thanks to lifestyle changes, her still being on them makes me uneasy. Some folks need meds, period, and that's 200% okay no judging, but it seemed like Dianne mostly needed therapy and lifestyle changes rather than having a major chemical circumstance to balance out.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Ending a story by killling the character is considered amateur hour in a lot of circles. They instead went for the rebirth/baptism angle.

More spoilers about ending here.
    I don't think they really went with baptism or rebirth at all. They went with life goes on, and people around you change even if you don't. The only friend Bojack has left from his old days in the end is Mr Peanutbutter. Todd has essentially cut him out. They may still meet, but always on Todds terms. Princess Carolyn might still be around in his life, but she has realized she cannot manage him and be his friend. Diane is courteous enough to talk to him a last time before cutting him out of his life, while Hollyhock tries desperately to ignore it until she does it over a letter.

The big growth here is that Bojack seems to actually accept this, which is the only thing that gives the ending hope. It means he may do better in the future, even with the temptations represented by his new career.

• Options
    My impression was that Mr Peanutbutter will always be in Bojack's life because he is a loyal dog (unless you date or marry him). Todd would continue to bumble into and out of Bojack's life, probably. Princesses Carolyn would still be around in some capacity even if Bojack isn't her client.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Even if you don’t like Diane as a person the idea that Bojack is better off without her and not the other way around is wild.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Re: Diane
    As an artistic person who was on meds long enough to experience that fuzziness, but who was able to stop using them thanks to lifestyle changes, her still being on them makes me uneasy. Some folks need meds, period, and that's 200% okay no judging, but it seemed like Dianne mostly needed therapy and lifestyle changes rather than having a major chemical circumstance to balance out.
    I always feel strange whenever I see medication actually work in media because in my experience I feel like they don't (for me specifically).

I still take the ones I've been prescribed, but I don't know if I believe they do anything for me.