As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[amiibos] The Great Restockening is Upon Us. Hie Thee to Target.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    @Warlock82 Hey, thanks for the response. So, looks like at worst I'd need to get my own crystals. Hrm, that's still really expensive (crystals are ~$10 a pop). I mean, it's not like the official characters where you're getting a toy out of the deal; this is just straight up charging $150 (starter game + 9 crystals for each class or element) for something most games would consider standard features (10+ create-a-character slots).

Yeah I'm honestly not real happy with how they handled the crystals and I know a lot of others complained about it too. It even kills the resell market since you can't reset the class. I understand the point of the crystals since I guess at its heart, the game is supposed to allow you to say, take your character over to a friend's house and play as them there too. But locking them so they can't be rerolled and then splitting out by element is kind of a lot. It's probably a contributing factor to why I didn't bother picking up the game, even though I was pretty big on Superchargers before that (Superchargers also not being all that great also contributed :P I think I realized I was more excited to collect the Skylanders than actually play the game :P)

Edit: Tangentially related to amiibo and Skylanders and such, but ouch:
    https://www.polygon.com/2018/4/3/17192502/toys-r-us-website-purchases-closed-liquidation-sale

Toys R Us seems to be pretty toast at this point...

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    @Warlock82 Hey, thanks for the response. So, looks like at worst I'd need to get my own crystals. Hrm, that's still really expensive (crystals are ~$10 a pop). I mean, it's not like the official characters where you're getting a toy out of the deal; this is just straight up charging $150 (starter game + 9 crystals for each class or element) for something most games would consider standard features (10+ create-a-character slots).

Yeah I'm honestly not real happy with how they handled the crystals and I know a lot of others complained about it too. It even kills the resell market since you can't reset the class. I understand the point of the crystals since I guess at its heart, the game is supposed to allow you to say, take your character over to a friend's house and play as them there too. But locking them so they can't be rerolled and then splitting out by element is kind of a lot. It's probably a contributing factor to why I didn't bother picking up the game, even though I was pretty big on Superchargers before that (Superchargers also not being all that great also contributed :P I think I realized I was more excited to collect the Skylanders than actually play the game :P)

Edit: Tangentially related to amiibo and Skylanders and such, but ouch:
    https://www.polygon.com/2018/4/3/17192502/toys-r-us-website-purchases-closed-liquidation-sale

Toys R Us seems to be pretty toast at this point...

Man, they can't even keep the online store going?

I feel like the reasonable (non-Activision) way to do the character creation would've been to make it something like this: Instead of locking level cap increases behind 'sensei' figure purchases, have each sensei let you make 1 character of either the same element or class (or both). The custom character is saved on your console (like a normal game). Then sell a prop for the toyline that can hold one custom character and act like a memory card to let you take them to friends' houses and just generally function in the place of a normal skylander figure; you can switch which character is on it at any time, but if you want to take more than one with you, you need to buy multiples (let each device a player owns give them 1 free random costume/body part unlock as an added purchase incentive). Hell, if they really wanted to get crazy they could've maybe even offered a premium service to special order 3D prints custom characters with the memory unit functionality in its base.

But then I also would've done something far more humane than the blind-boxed lifetime single use treasure chests. I didn't see many complaints about that when I was reading about the game the other day, but holy crap.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Yeah the treasure chest thing was just BS all together. Luckily that was only cosmetic stuff, but man, the whole loot box thing is really getting a bit ridiculous these days...

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    The biggest crime for the Crystals is the god damn dark one is bundled in a overpriced pack or like 5x the cost of the other Crystals and you can't find them out in the wild period.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Are stores not getting any Amiibo shipments anymore? All the stores here have been drier than the Sahara during a drought since December. It's just left over Animal Crossing Amiibos no one wanted.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    They really only ship them when there's new figures or a fresh reprint. Stores don't get regular shipments of them. That oversized Detective Pikachu figure was in stores not too long ago.

• Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    I've seen most stores get rid of dedicated space for them and they just put them somewhere when they come in. Target locked up Pikachu in the game case.

With Toys R Us going Out of Business, Target was the only game left in town for me. Now Target seems like they are getting rid of their dedicated section, too. I haven't seen an Amiibo in Walmart in months.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Amiibos might be getting a bit of a negative halo effect thanks to the implosion of every other toys-to-life line. Stores don't like dedicating space to stuff that doesn't sell, and they've suffered through that for the last couple of years.

Though the Animal Crossing bomb probably didn't help.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Yeah, I've mostly gone to ordering amiibo online - no stock issues that way (at least, as long as they aren't sold out). Best Buy is probably the best bet these days, since Amazon still handles their amiibo releases extremely stupidly (usually not putting them up for sale until the day of release or later) and everywhere else I have just found way too unreliable in terms of stock/actually fulfilling orders. Plus with Gamer's Club I get 20% off amiibo (used to get this with Amazon Prime too but they stopped doing it for toys to life stuff because Amazon is dumb)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    So I decided on a whim to check and see if there were any cheap 8-Bit Link amiibos anywhere. Found that my nearby Target had some according to the website. I was skeptical, but hopeful. Went there this morning and found this:
    DZ9MVfZUMAARAR8.jpg

My patience has been rewarded!

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    I was having a deja vu moment. You reminded me about this reddit post

https://www.reddit.com/r/amiibo/comments/86xicv/if_anyones_looking_for_8bit_link_my_target_has/

• Options
    Zython wrote: »
    So I decided on a whim to check and see if there were any cheap 8-Bit Link amiibos anywhere. Found that my nearby Target had some according to the website. I was skeptical, but hopeful. Went there this morning and found this:
    DZ9MVfZUMAARAR8.jpg

My patience has been rewarded!

Holy crap, grats :D That's a lot of them.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Wow saw the detective pikachu amiibo in person at stores and it's massive. That's a big boy compared to the heavily discounted $2.88 animal crossings on the shelf.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Smash Mega Man amiibo looks better.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Warlock82 on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Well maybe a new Smash announcement will make it easier to sell the amiibo I'm trying to part with. Hmm.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    DfhRavAXUAEztPU.jpg

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    This is already up for pre-order at Best Buy:
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nintendo-amiibo-figure-octoling-3-pack/6255175.p?skuId=6255175

I thought they got rid of Gamer's Club discount but I still saved $7 somehow? *shrug*

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nintendo-amiibo-figure-octoling-3-pack/6255175.p?skuId=6255175

I thought they got rid of Gamer's Club discount but I still saved $7 somehow? *shrug*

You can't sign up anymore, but it still works if you already have it.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

You can't sign up anymore, but it still works if you already have it.

Ah, well that sucks. I guess I should milk it while I can then...

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Too bad those amiibo are in a 3 pack. I only want the girl octoling.

Anyone want to buy the other two?

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    The girl Octoling is like 60% midriff.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well the question is more can I get it as Pearl and Marina are not out but no one is taking orders for them

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    still no word on a restock on the original splat2 inklings though :/

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I can't wait to get me a Solid Snake amiibo.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    How is Charizard amiibo going to work? Will its FP only have stats for charizard? Pokemon trainer will be unable to switch out?
    Will the others be separate amiibo or just have Pokemon trainer?
    These are the burning questions. Show me the rest of the smash amiibo

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Kizmitt wrote: »
    How is Charizard amiibo going to work? Will its FP only have stats for charizard? Pokemon trainer will be unable to switch out?

Is it confirmed they are bringing Pokemon trainer back? If so, I would guess the easy thing would be to give each (and the trainer) their own amiibos (they could package squirtle, ivysaur, and trainer as a 3-pack) but have them each function as alternate amiibo choices for trainer.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Kizmitt wrote: »

Is it confirmed they are bringing Pokemon trainer back? If so, I would guess the easy thing would be to give each (and the trainer) their own amiibos (they could package squirtle, ivysaur, and trainer as a 3-pack) but have them each function as alternate amiibo choices for trainer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYpf9FoPN_M

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Hey, Leaf! Glad to see Nintendo remembered she exists!

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    @PacMan1979 are you ready to return to the hunt???

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      Well, looking at the new character art for Smash Ultimate, my wallet is relieved. I love Solid Snake, but I don't think a figure based on that art will look great.

• Options
      SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
      We have any info on that Solaire amiibo? I preordered one way back when but of course I'm moving and it got delayed so I have to figure out how to update my shipping address for gamestop.

Also I didn't consider a Snake amiibo and yes, yes I want that.

• Options
      SniperGuy wrote: »
      We have any info on that Solaire amiibo? I preordered one way back when but of course I'm moving and it got delayed so I have to figure out how to update my shipping address for gamestop.

Also I didn't consider a Snake amiibo and yes, yes I want that.

I would call their support line. I feel like they don't have an easy way to fix this on their website based on vague memories of past experience.

• Options
      skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
      edited July 2018
      Nintendo's reprinting Smash amiibo in Japan

https://gonintendo.com/stories/312635-nintendo-shares-smash-bros-amiibo-reprint-dates-for-japan
      December 7, 2018

- Mario
      - Peach
      - Yoshi
      - Donkey Kong
      - Samus
      - Wii Fit Trainer
      - Pikachu
      - Marth
      - Little Mac
      - Lucario
      - Captain Falcon
      - Rosalina and Luma
      - Bowser
      - Bowser Jr
      - Ike
      - Wario
      - Falco
      - Olimar and Pikmin
      - Mii Fighter
      - Mii Swordsman
      - Mii Gunner
      - Charizard
      - Greninja
      - Jigglypuff
      - Meta Knight
      - Robin
      - Shulk
      - Duck Hunt
      - Sonic
      - Mega Man
      - Pac-Man
      - Mewtwo
      - Lucas
      - Roy
      - Ryu
      - Link
      - Zelda
      - Toon Link
      - Sheik
      - Ganondorf
      - Lucina
      - Cloud Player 1
      - Bayonetta Player 1
      - Cloud Player 2
      - Bayonetta Player 2

Mid January 2019

- Fox
      - Villager
      - Kirby
      - Luigi
      - Diddy Kong
      - Pit
      - King Dedede
      - Ness
      - Zero Suit Samus
      - Palutena
      - Dark Pit
      - Dr. Mario
      - Robot (R.O.B.)
      - Mr. Game & Watch
      - Corrin Player 1
      - Corrin Player 2

skeldare on
      Nintendo Console Codes
      Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • Options
      cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
      Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    • Options
      Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
      Awesome. I can't wait to hear that Snake will be GameStop exclusive and the ten they get will be sold within a minute of going up on their website.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
    • Options
      Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
      Hell yeah. Ice Climbers amiibo, day 1.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699