As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Superhero Thread! Fantastic Four is comi-X GON GIVE IT TO YA!

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    The best thing that can come from this new F4 movie is that it can do less than 30 million in domestic business this weekend. If that happens, I believe it'd be more profitable for Fox to try and sell the rights back to Marvel than to make another bomb.

Fox will have like 3/4ths of a decade to try again, IIRC, so I could see them shelving it and then pulling it out in 7 years. Again.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Who is the guy with swords that Deadpool is fighting?

Daario Nah-haris

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Where would someone begin with Morrison Batman? Snyder Batman?

The Complete Morrison Batman:

Batman and Son
    Batman: The Black Glove
    Batman RIP
    Time and the Batman/Final Crisis
    Batman and Robin vol. 1: Batman Reborn
    Batman and Robin vol. 2: Batman vs. Robin
    Batman and Robin vol. 3: Batman Must Die
    The Return of Bruce Wayne
    Batman Inc.
    Batman Inc. vol. 1: Demon Star
    Batman Inc. vol. 2: Gotham's Most Wanted

OH DID SOMEONE MENTION BATMAN RIP

Wait, what about Batman RIP?
    I've never read in Morrison Batman (want to get round to it though) and I just got hold of a (used) copy of that book in particular it for free.
    Is it good or to be avoided?

@strangelighting Batman RIP is great, do not need the haters!

Batman RIP is great, but you should definitely read Batman and Son and Batman vs the Black Glove, which have more recently been collected together in a single volume as Batman and Son versus the Black Glove, before you read RIP.

• Options
    Fakefaux wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Given the reports that all the military stuff in the trailers is missing from the movie, they must have cut an entire second act action sequence.

Fox should have just done a really crappy cheap movie to keep the rights like the Roger Corman version, because it sounds like they were just doing this:

izltzr.jpg

On the other hand, if they had wasted a ton of money, that might give them an incentive to cut a deal with Marvel/Disney like Sony did with Spider-Man.

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    WHAT

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    God I am just honestly, really taken aback at how awful Fant4stic sounds

I was not anticipating this

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    God I am just honestly, really taken aback at how awful Fant4stic sounds

I was not anticipating this

I kind of was.

But wow. They just went all out.

Fantastic Four might be my favorite Marvel team, and this? It's like they made it for me to loathe it. If I wasn't expecting a turd from the getgo, I'd be upset. As is, it's only a shame that we're wasting the potential of Jordan Johnny Storm on... this.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I liked the Blade 3 parts that involved Ryan Reynolds

Deadpool feels like more of that so I'm in

Xehalus on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    that deadpool trailer seems like a good adaptation of deadpool and I don't want to see it

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I'm surprised the real costume + CGI eyeholes combo hasn't been done before.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Does the chimp get powers

Well hit-money probably is with fox...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    Final YJ comment
    I don't know that I've ever been angrier at a TV show's ending.

YOU DON'T JUST DROP DARKSEID ON US LIKE THAT, YOUNG JUSTICE. YOU MONSTERS.
    Greg Weisman should know by now that everything he makes is cursed by dark wizards to be cancelled, and to just not even bother with frustrating cliffhangers.

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2015
    DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    Bluedude, your name should be Baddude.
    ::shakes fist in general direction::

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    more terrible fantastic four spoilers
    doom has the ability to just telekinetically make peoples heads explode instantly except for the fantastic four because ???

• Options
    Furu wrote: »
    more terrible fantastic four spoilers
    doom has the ability to just telekinetically make peoples heads explode instantly except for the fantastic four because ???

okay half of these spoilers are terrible and half of them are incredible

• Options
    the "incredible" thing is only in the movie for like two minutes, which is the problem

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    that deadpool trailer seems like a good adaptation of deadpool and I don't want to see it

This is pretty much my exact reading of it, yeah

• Options
    the thing I want to know right now is: how fucking bad was the original cut of the film to cause this kind of hatchet job to "save" it, or was this movie actually screwed by the studio cutting everything except exposition and a third act fight scene?

• Options
    could fox have retained the rights if they just had like reed richards as some scientist in an xmen movie

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    could fox have retained the rights if they just had like reed richards as some scientist in an xmen movie

That's actually something I'd never considered. I wonder if it has to be specifically a project headlining them?

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Furu wrote: »
    the thing I want to know right now is: how fucking bad was the original cut of the film to cause this kind of hatchet job to "save" it, or was this movie actually screwed by the studio cutting everything except exposition and a third act fight scene?

Presumably both.

It looks like the movie started life as one persons incredibly flawed idea vision.

Then info started trickling out and the reaction was incredibly negative so the studio started making changes and none of it really helped.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    X Gonna Give it to Ya is a pretty good song selection for a Deadpool trailer.
    Radius wrote: »
    I can't hate anything that un-ironically uses DMX in the year 2015

I've been corrupted, because this is all I could picture when song started ( Not that I 'm complaining that much)

https://youtu.be/ExitLAP6F9U

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    the fact that fantastic four movies are always terrible is incredibly funny to me for some reason I can't fully articulate

how long does fox get to keep the rights for now? when can we expect a sequel where John Namor is a Hungarian ecoterrorist who is trying to save the oceans from corporate exploitation by hijacking an oil rig named Atlantis and declaring it an independent micronation?

man now that I think about it you could probably do a super low budget semi-independent Fantastic Four movie that isn't completely shit. just fuck off the effects budget, hire a good director and writer, have one and a half fight scenes and the rest of it is just personal drama, long conversations about science, physical comedy with Ben and Johnny. get Edgar Wright to do it. you're already writing the movie off as a serious endeavor, why not try to squeeze some respect from the critics out of it

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    man now that I think about it you could probably do a super low budget semi-independent Fantastic Four movie that isn't completely shit.

500986048_mKxmg-1050x10000.jpg

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Also, why did Geth awesome me saying that perverts have rights too?

Geth, are you a pervert?

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    what if michael b jordan ends up like the last human torch and ends up playing captain america, eli bradley

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Given the reports that all the military stuff in the trailers is missing from the movie, they must have cut an entire second act action sequence.

Fox should have just done a really crappy cheap movie to keep the rights like the Roger Corman version, because it sounds like they were just doing this:

izltzr.jpg

On the other hand, if they had wasted a ton of money, that might give them an incentive to cut a deal with Marvel/Disney like Sony did with Spider-Man.

Considering that the Sony contract had stipulations and a minimum budget and release plan laid out in the contract for Spider-Man, I suspect that the Fantastic Four movie had a very similar part write in specifically to stop someone from doing that again.

It's like people forget that Marvel knows about it's own past or something.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Doing a F4 movie is easy

you call Marvel and ask them to put Mark Waid, Jonathan Hickman and, let's see, Walter Simonson? Yeah that works. You get them to put those guys on a plane to your office, nicely paid for, first class and all, and then you sit down for a weekend and hash out the overall story, tone and such with those guys. It'll be great. It's almost like they are professional creators who have worked with the property!

Then, because none of them are movie writers, you bring in a solid writer to turn that strong, rather detailed outline into an actual script

Then you make that movie

• Options
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

izltzr.jpg

Considering that the Sony contract had stipulations and a minimum budget and release plan laid out in the contract for Spider-Man, I suspect that the Fantastic Four movie had a very similar part write in specifically to stop someone from doing that again.

The rights to the F4 hasn't moved since the 80's. The studio that made the Corman film still retains the rights to F4.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited August 2015

izltzr.jpg

The rights to the F4 hasn't moved since the 80's. The studio that made the Corman film still retains the rights to F4.

? Neither Constantin Film Produktion nor New Horizons are owned by Fox as far as I can tell.

EDIT: Weird, so Fox isn't the only hand in who owns the FF rights.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    i trust mark waid to make reasonably good super hero comics but I am not sure I would wager one hundred million dollars on his ability to do so

• Options
    you don't really need to bring in comics guys to do characters justice, just like, read the source material

you don't even have to be 100% faithful to it, just get an idea of what made those characters popular in the first place and, you know, use that knowledge to your advantage

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    We would have to live in a rational world with rational people for that to work.

• Options

izltzr.jpg

? Neither Constantin Film Produktion nor New Horizons are owned by Fox as far as I can tell.

EDIT: Weird, so Fox isn't the only hand in who owns the FF rights.

The whole thing is kind of complicated but just because a company has the rights to make films based on an intellectual property doesn't mean that company has to pay or distribute it themselves. They can go and make their own deals on who finances and distributes the film.

Marvel probably made a really crappy deal when they optioned out the rights to F4. This kind of thing happens pretty often. For example, the company that optioned the rights to the Wheel of Time series has done some really scummy things.

• Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    If they've screwed up Ben's catchphrase that badly, I shudder to think what they've done to his Great Aunt Petunia.

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    it's me your friend, the forever loving brown eyed thing

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I just don't know why nobody wants to make a movie with the Doom who descends into hell every year to fight the devil for his mother's soul

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    The doom what made a suit of armor out of his girlfriend's skin will always be my favorite

Unthinkable was such a fuckin arc, man

This discussion has been closed.