Options

Paradox Can Into Space With [Stellaris]

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I need to not start playing this shortly before bed thinking I can keep it short.
    Sleepy today.

ALSO, I realized why I wasn't seeing any of that creature based weaponry research. There were more options on the research page if I scrolled down. Yeesh.
    Which in better news probably helped me finally get some new engine research fast tracked.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    SanderJK wrote: »
    My huge map is completely out of control because part of the map was empty and I just went colony ship crazy in the 2270s and took all of it to no apparent detrimental effect. It's 2335 now, I own 85 planets, my income is huge, my 7 demesne planets are maxed out, nobody can step to my 14 Battleships.
    It was a lot of busywork surveying and constructing though exactly the kind of thing that was not supposed to happen. Tepid AI / Bad spending behavior (Loads of military spending, no expansion) seems likely.

Have none of the AI nations formed alliances against you? As your size and aggressiveness goes up, so should the thread negative diplomatic modifier.

I am a member of the biggest federation, which I was co-founder of. Started with 4 civs, and now there's 7 of us. I trade tech with all of them which puts me into 200s with all my buddies.
    It's true that none of the other AI are interested in joining, and there are a 2 3 man Alliances, but most of them are reticent.
    I also haven't warred much, only the 2 wars my Federation started for me, that I steamrolled, and I personally didn't gain much from. (Though I have gotten a -4 genocide modifier, which is supposed to decay but isn't, probably because I bombed one planet a little too long when figuring out how to land ships)

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    My huge map is completely out of control because part of the map was empty and I just went colony ship crazy in the 2270s and took all of it to no apparent detrimental effect. It's 2335 now, I own 85 planets, my income is huge, my 7 demesne planets are maxed out, nobody can step to my 14 Battleships.
    It was a lot of busywork surveying and constructing though exactly the kind of thing that was not supposed to happen. Tepid AI / Bad spending behavior (Loads of military spending, no expansion) seems likely.

Have none of the AI nations formed alliances against you? As your size and aggressiveness goes up, so should the thread negative diplomatic modifier.

I am a member of the biggest federation, which I was co-founder of. Started with 4 civs, and now there's 7 of us. I trade tech with all of them which puts me into 200s with all my buddies.
    It's true that none of the other AI are interested in joining, and there are a 2 3 man Alliances, but most of them are reticent.
    I also haven't warred much, only the 2 wars my Federation started for me, that I steamrolled, and I personally didn't gain much from. (Though I have gotten a -4 genocide modifier, which is supposed to decay but isn't, probably because I bombed one planet a little too long when figuring out how to land ships)

Interesting!

Do you have a lot of xenophile/nice cultures? I feel like the local area around me is basically like 2 nice-ish people, though one is only nice because I'm really far away and they're isolationist. Then like 10 other cultures started at a -60 and went down from there due to rivalry/differing views/war.

I can see steamrolling a lot of people early if you wind up having a quick Federation. Though also I do think the settling of new planets is not quite the resource drain it's intended to be. You can essentially do them in serial and not lose out too much. So long as you don't have ~5 planets all eating up your energy at the same time, you can recover from any loss pretty quickly.

Also I really think exo-galactic threats/interdimensional terrors/etc should all be way more likely to happen if you've very high on the power rankings.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    i want to dynamically populate the namelist based off of in-game stuff tho
    i could put together a static namelist for humans / specific alien race that would be superior to the generic one but i'm more interested in giving random alien races namelists that are sorta coherent instead of "well they are fungoids so lets give them gibberish names for everything and call it a day"

I might just populate a list with the ship names from Iain M. Banks's Culture novels. Can't go wrong!

Someone beat you to it: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=681710491&searchtext=

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Wait... you can scroll the research page?

E: Oh goddammit. So that's where my fusion power and the next rank of deflectors has been hiding.

Aistan on
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    If you have more than 4? I think options available you'll need to scroll to see the other cards.

• Options
    ExcisionExcision Old Sport Registered User regular
    It begins.
    or2evZs.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    Yeah I knew I had extra options because of my government type. But once I upgraded the government I should have had more but I was still just seeing the same set of four. Whoops, scroll wheel down... like another 3-4 down here from the debris research I've been doing, plus the extra options.

• Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    The results of the intergalactic invasion are in. spoiled for those who don't want to know what arnaments intergalactic invaders have.
    A hilariously one sided curbstomp in my favour even though our fleets were about identical in size. By an amazing stroke of luck my Battleships and Destroyers were ideally tailored to taking them down, thanks to their Particle Lance weapons. See PL's have an amazing long range, and have 100% armour penetration and the invaders lacked any shields and relied on armour, So my battleships and destroyers had already started blowing up large chunks of their fleet before they even got in range. Really lucky with my weapon choices
    My battleships and cruisers also had a small amount of point defense which worked great against the enemy missiles so none of them got taken out. However my corvettes (designed as cannon fodder aimed at taking out shields) took the brunt of the aliens missiles and with no point defense of their own I ended up losing 60 of them,
    Oh and my admiral jumped from 2 stars to 5 stars as a result of this one battle,

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I think the AI just don't bother to design Federation ships and build them. I had to wait until I was the President and the previous President hadn't built a fleet or designed any ships. Which is a shame, since one of my allies has access to Battleships which I do not, and so I can't build any.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    ElitistbElitistb Registered User regular
    Just finished up a game yesterday where I was in a federation, which declared war on another alliance. During that war, another alliance declared war on my federation. And then 40k worth of attack power waltzed into 3 of my systems simultaneously (40kish in each of the three) and then proceeded to annihilate all 7 of my systems. Good times.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BonaventureBonaventure Registered User regular
    So, the game gave me an option to build an Observation Post above a planet with natives, but only as pops on the surface -- no civilization, no "stone age natives" planet attribute, just some dudes. Kind of obviously a bug -- but sure, why not? Then I decided to uplift them. Sure, why not?

That created a new civilization, all right, but it didn't make that civilization my vassal. I've just got a new, unaligned neighbor in the middle of my empire. And their personality is... well... despicable.
    wlcusw3syd1t.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    they are your vassal tho

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Non-militaristic POPs become unhappy while at war and pacifist POPs become extremely unhappy. On the flip side militaristic POPs get a happiness bonus.

Unhappy POPs will eventually rebel.

Edit- unlike previous games it's not exactly tied to any sort of War Exhaustion system, it is just a byproduct of how happiness and things that modify happiness works.

Are you sure about that? I diploannexed a bunch of militarist xenophones, their happiness is around 20%, and was 4% shortly after annexation, it's been at least a decade and they don't even have a significant independence faction much less a revolt threat

• Options
    BonaventureBonaventure Registered User regular
    they are your vassal tho

Oh wait, you're right! Their galactic map coloration threw me off. My first vassal ever was stripey my-color-and-theirs, and these guys are solid theirs. But I guess that's just random. Or something.

Still not sure I can tolerate that personality tho.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    they are your vassal tho

Oh wait, you're right! Their galactic map coloration threw me off. My first vassal ever was stripey my-color-and-theirs, and these guys are solid theirs. But I guess that's just random. Or something.

The stripey color implies you have a territory conflict (I.E you both have something in the same system) with your vassal it's no problem, but with other empires that would cause huge border friction.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    they are your vassal tho

The stripey color implies you have a territory conflict (I.E you both have something in the same system) with your vassal it's no problem, but with other empires that would cause huge border friction.
    yeah, you have a frontier outpost in their system so your borders overlap.

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Whats the best way to figure out what tech enemy ships are using.
    In the battle I guess you're checking to see what bucket their damage numbers are going into? I find the way it lays out the info a bit confusing.

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Whats the best way to figure out what tech enemy ships are using.
    In the battle I guess you're checking to see what bucket their damage numbers are going into? I find the way it lays out the info a bit confusing.

I'd be interested in this as well. I was trying to take on some space pirates, it wasn't going well at all, so I told them to retreat. I wanted to look afterward at how the damage was broken down, and I couldn't find any way to do it.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    You can just click on "view ship" in their fleet list. See every component.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    I'm curious how point defense works.

Does it defend only the ship it's attached to, or will it defend other ships?

I like the idea of big defensive capital ships loaded down with shields, and armor plates, and point defense, but I'm not sure it would even work.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    Does anyone if Synthetic leaders will age and die? I see when you recruit they have some with +25 lifespan on them...

• Options
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    You can just click on "view ship" in their fleet list. See every component.

Hmm, I was looking for that and didn't see it on their list, just my own. I'll have to check again tonight.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Retaba wrote: »
    Does anyone if Synthetic leaders will age and die? I see when you recruit they have some with +25 lifespan on them...

They should only last 3 years and ten months.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »
    Yeah I knew I had extra options because of my government type. But once I upgraded the government I should have had more but I was still just seeing the same set of four. Whoops, scroll wheel down... like another 3-4 down here from the debris research I've been doing, plus the extra options.

There's a mod to make it show 7 by default. Looks nice if you have a higher-res screen (the shots on the page are for 1440 and 1080): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=681894160&searchtext=

It apparently hasn't been fixed for 1.0.2, but I'm guessing it is pretty simple.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    I've spent all together too long on my first game, but I did enjoy quite a lot of it. The Holy Rak'Akkar Empire (which is neither holy, Rak'Akkar, or an empire) is unmatched in size, power and wealth throughout the whole galaxy. My species were basically reverse Hivers from Sword of the Stars, bug people with wormhole drives that relied on charisma, pacifist expansion and spirituality to create the biggest democratic union in the sector. Towards the end I abandoned my peaceful ways to vassalise a nearby kingdom and then crush the two closest fallen empires (analysing their debris is so good.) One of my campaign goals was to have as diverse a population as possible, which I feel I have succeeded in considering I have sixteen species living in my 1k pop empire, of which my main one only comprises 34%, though admittedly two of those species (about 16% of the total) were gained through conquering the stagnant ascendancies. Funnily enough one of those species, the xenophobic isolationists, almost immediately got one of their own elected as president of the whole empire on the campaign promise of releasing all of their ring worlds and population back to the ascendancy. He's currently gone through two terms without delivering on this promise and is slated to win yet another one, which speaks to how unpopular the war was to both the victors and the losers. I'd like to imagine that he really wants to do it, but is prevented by the nightmarish byzantine bureaucracy that my democratic empire has built up over the years.

My only real regrets are not finishing the progenitor questline, which seems unlikely at this point since I've explored every system within reach and no one is willing to grant me access to go further, and that I haven't seen any of the end-game threats emerge. I'm at 2368 at this point, so I would have expected it to show up by now.

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Has anyone figured out terraforming yet? I have the tech, have built the stations, and I have the liquid but not the gas. It won't let me terraform anything because of lack of gas. In the wiki it says that making things 'wetter' takes liquid and making them 'dryer' takes gas, but going from arctic to ocean required gas as did going from desert to continental. Do you just need both for everything?

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I think you need a lot of gas and sometimes some extra tech

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Note: do not terraform inhabited planets. The pops do not like it.

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    Looks like I spoke too soon. Something has arrived, and it is hungry.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    You need multiple of the terraforming materials. Also you need to have the ability to colonize the type of world you're turning it into. Also for a few world types you need extra tech. (i.e. tomb worlds, etc.)

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    And their personality is... well... despicable.
    wlcusw3syd1t.jpg

Now that's the kind of bug I'm willing to call a feature.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    I've encountered like 3+ Gaia Worlds so far, and I don't think there are any Fallen Empires in my galaxy at all.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    One of my worlds had a secret underground race living on it, unbeknownst to me, and after colonizing they made contact with that same broken personality thing.

That world is a mess, I named it Detroit thinking to make it a mineral producing powerhouse, the industrial engine of my empire. But then some indigenous people asked for citizenship so I said sure, then some of the morlocks fled to the surface and I gave them refuge, and now I have multiple unhappy pops on that planet with stupid factions turning the place into a wretched wasteland. The jokes write themselves =/

Will pops starve to death? I don't want to purge anyone but I'm thinking of not building any food infrastructure and letting the problem solve itself. They're already complaining of starving, but will it kill them?

• Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I thought one of the randomly generated names was cool so I took it

...only to find the same base empire name across the galaxy

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Okay, having your starting ruler have the Space Miner trait is awesome. -25% Constructor and mining station build cost. Great to start with.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    One of my worlds had a secret underground race living on it, unbeknownst to me, and after colonizing they made contact with that same broken personality thing.

That world is a mess, I named it Detroit thinking to make it a mineral producing powerhouse, the industrial engine of my empire. But then some indigenous people asked for citizenship so I said sure, then some of the morlocks fled to the surface and I gave them refuge, and now I have multiple unhappy pops on that planet with stupid factions turning the place into a wretched wasteland. The jokes write themselves =/

Will pops starve to death? I don't want to purge anyone but I'm thinking of not building any food infrastructure and letting the problem solve itself. They're already complaining of starving, but will it kill them?

I opted for flooding their subterranean cities with nerve gas and taking all their gold.

Not a single riot on the surface.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Also, random starting tip: split your starting fleet into three ships and send them out to nearby systems to find the ones with possible habitable planets so you know where to send your science ships to survey, if you want to colonize fast.

• Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular

I opted for flooding their subterranean cities with nerve gas and taking all their gold.

Not a single riot on the surface.

I'm told that you can't actually starve a pop to death, they just get a happiness penalty.

Which is too bad because it really would've given me a solution for these fanatic xenophobic bugs I uplifted.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    If you're planning on keeping slaves no matter what, Decadent seems like a useful trait. Any individualist dissenters could have a rough time if they gain independence and abolish it.

This discussion has been closed.