Options

Paradox Can Into Space With [Stellaris]

• Options
    ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    From everything I've seen so far mass corvettes is absolutely the best strategy except when faced with missile weapons. Then big ships carry an equal per-points offense but with many more defense/utility slots and so clobber the 'vettes.

Is there any other auto-hit weapon?

You can get around the missile problem with corvette screeners. Every 4th corvette make a 3s->3 point defense weapons or 2 point defense/1 autocannon if you want them sorta useful.

Valiantheart on
    PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Roleplaying the Dominion from Star Trek is way funner than being a mostly peaceful guy.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    communal + adaptive + fanatic spiritual + pacifist & moral democracy seems cheeky as hell
    capital planet happiness - 95%+

Did you ever figure out whether happiness does anything aside from leading to rebellions when it gets low enough?

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    From everything I've seen so far mass corvettes is absolutely the best strategy except when faced with missile weapons. Then big ships carry an equal per-points offense but with many more defense/utility slots and so clobber the 'vettes.

Is there any other auto-hit weapon?

You can get around the missile problem with corvette screeners. Every 4th corvette make a 3s->3 point defense weapons or 2 point defense/1 autocannon if you want them sorta useful.

That works unless you go up against a Cruiser/Battleship loaded with swarm missiles. Those things tear up small ships and unless every ship your facing has some PD they can't deal with it.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    kedinik wrote: »
    communal + adaptive + fanatic spiritual + pacifist & moral democracy seems cheeky as hell

Did you ever figure out whether happiness does anything aside from leading to rebellions when it gets low enough?
    yes it's apparently a big bonus at high happiness levels (+10% to everything for 80-90%, +20% for 90%+)
    when you hit advanced gov't your empire would be getting a global +30% happiness, and your species would have at least 90% habitability on their preferred planet. . . \o/ min-maxing

o it wouldn't be global because i was mistaken on how governing ethos works- but your initial starting pop would have 25% and then 35% happiness in modifiers which should will then drive their ethics divergence down so they should basically always remain fanatic spiritualist and be super happy

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    So I am not sure if my carrier fleets are working or not.

I have some cruisers and battle ships with H modules that i have level 3 ships in. Cruisers have 1 bomber, BShip has 2 bomber/1 fighter.

When I engage the enemy those ships stay really far back and the ships come out and just sort of buzz around them. They dont race off towards the enemy. Are they supposed to do that or is something off?

Valiantheart on
    PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    So I am not sure if my carrier fleets are working or not.

I have some cruisers and battle ships with H modules that i have level 3 ships in. Cruisers have 1 bomber, BShip has 2 bomber/1 fighter.

When I engage the enemy those ships stay really far back and the ships come out and just sort of buzz around them. They dont race off towards the enemy. Are they supposed to do that or is something off?

Something off, Dev post in the official forms says that they're looking to buff strike craft so that they're actually effective when their carrier is further than dogfight range.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kedinik wrote: »

yes it's apparently a big bonus at high happiness levels (+10% to everything for 80-90%, +20% for 90%+)
    when you hit advanced gov't your empire would be getting a global +30% happiness, and your species would have at least 90% habitability on their preferred planet. . . \o/ min-maxing

w-whatever, you happy baka. it's not like I w-want my people to like me or anything.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    So I researched hyperlane mapping, and it turns out the Fallen Empire to my north east cuts off all hyperspace access to my territory. And there are no lanes through dark space anywhere near me. So the only hyperspace access to me at all is from the south.

And the Northwest Passage is so long and narrow that even warp or wormhole would have trouble getting around it I think. And there is a nice Ocean world in the middle of it I can occupy. And then I will fill it with so many defense stations it will make the Maginot Line look like a fence.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    A secure Northwest Passage is the lynchpin of a secure state.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Get invaded by warp demons... alright where are they?

...right in the middle of my empire

Oh god now someone declared war on me?

Oh cool cool cool

Thanks for researching all that AI tech vassal, yes right now was a great time to get invaded by a stagnant ascendency

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I appreciate that as an Avian-themed Empire, my fleets are called Murders.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    You get techs your vassals research?

Nm i see just the repercussions

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I've faced fleets of corvettes with mixed fleets and I generally win, and almost all of my corvettes die. I don't think It's that corvettes are better than bigger ships, but that PURE corvette fleets are better than PURE capital ship fleets, but an ideal fleet will be mixed. Corvettes are first into the fight, and serve as the shield for your bigger ships, and so need more evasion, but your bigger ships will have more DPS.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Goddamnit. Don't time out my military access in the middle of a war as I've moved my fleet through your territory but not my armies.

Characters
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    This ornery old son of a bitch has been governing one of my core world planets for over 70 years. He's 102 years old and has a 22% chance per month of croaking but he just refuses to kick off. He's damn near been alive since the start of the empire. Keep at it, you old bastard.

• Options
    Well, I guess that's how you beat a stronger fleet. They had 3900, I had 2900, but all of their corvettes were in half hull damage underneath their full shields from fighting a war with another Empire for ages.

Turns out when you bring a dozen dedicated Tier 2 Torpedo Corvettes in your fleet, they pop half hull Corvettes in seconds.

Characters
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular

I tried this today (I still haven't settled on a game, this is I think my 5th) and yeah, this is my best start yet. And democracies get hella influence from completing mandates, so expansion and edicts are no problem. I'm probably gonna stick with this one.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    Alliances are unanimous and not majority vote?

Goddamnit, I should break this stupid thing up and vassalize > integrate these idiots.

Characters
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular

Happiness is mandatory. :D

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    How'd you go about making Space Romans? I want to conquer everyone then integrate them. Keeping Xenos happy means I need to grab Xenophile and keeping pops happy while I'm at war means I need to take Militarist. How can I convince the xenos to adopt imperial values? Give my primary species Charismatic and spam Propaganda Campaigns?

Grey Paladin on
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Damnit.

I need to build mining stations as part of my Ruler's mining expansion mandate for that sweet +influence reward.

Problem #1: I've built mining stations everywhere possible within my sphere, and I'm not in a position to expand my sphere by peaceful means right now (lack of influence for outposts, and lack of colonizable worlds).

Problem #2: I just had several enemy worlds ceded to me as part of a military campaign. I kept their orbital infrastructure intact since I intended to use it....except now I'm unable to build new stations to fulfill the mandate.

Note to self: Destroy just enough infrastructure to fulfill mining mandate with reconstruction operations.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    So I was colonizing so fast just to get to all the primitive civilizations that I ended up with a bloated empire that crosses the galaxy twice, actually cutting off empires from fighting each other. It was really helped along by the private colony initiative, now I have a bunch of divergent sectors which I am sure will not be a problem. I actually ended up totally surrounding a peaceful xenophobe so I think I will just leave him alone.

One really nice thing was a race I teched up turning out to be federation builders, they joined me so fast after I released them and were the last I needed to form a federation. Everyone in the federation had been developing different techs so we have chain lighting main guns, advanced point defense systems, powerful rail guns, advanced shields and disruptors. I finally have something to sink my bloated military-industrial complex into.

One important thing for sectors is that while you get a percentage of their net minerals and energy, you get ALL their tech, so if you have enough tech planets it offsets the tech bloat from having too many planets.

Also the chain lighting guns are so nice, 50% of their damage passes through shields, 50% through armor and they bounce when hitting small fleets and have a base 100% accuracy. I don't know if you need to research the void cloud/crystal tech to get them started but once you have them they are the best.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    Apparently either the technology 'Galactic Ambitions' or trading Star Charts with other civs or some combination of the two will stop you from surveying systems later in the game.

That would kinda suck since surveying and exploring anomalies is probably my favourite part of the game. Paradox really nailed the exploring aspect of the game.

• Options
    KisidanKisidan Registered User regular
    Still having a blast trying to learn, but goddamn I am bad at this. I've apparently played 12 hours and have yet to break into the top 3 empires in either game I've played.

Also wondering if I should be speeding up time a bit more than I have been... I've mostly sat in normal speed and micromanaged my science/construction ships but maybe that has been slowing me down too much.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Isorn wrote: »
    Apparently either the technology 'Galactic Ambitions' or trading Star Charts with other civs or some combination of the two will stop you from surveying systems later in the game.

That would kinda suck since surveying and exploring anomalies is probably my favourite part of the game. Paradox really nailed the exploring aspect of the game.

Exploring also an easy way to help level up a new generation of scientists once the old ones die off from old age. I'll need to weigh the "exchange star charts" trades more heavily next time.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Surveyed a frozen planet and it turned out there was an old and abandoned research station on the surface (my Empire's design even). There was a solitary guy in the station and he said he wanted to come back home, he would enlist as a scientist if I promised that no-one ever set food on this planet again.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    Surveyed a frozen planet and it turned out there was an old and abandoned research station on the surface (my Empire's design even). There was a solitary guy in the station and he said he wanted to come back home, he would enlist as a scientist if I promised that no-one ever set food on this planet again.

So you're gonna colonise the planet right?

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    70 years after my massive immigration spurt, all those colonized planets have tons of pop now, and it's definitely hitting my tech. I'm now on the bottom half of the tech ladder.
    I've also hit the stagnant point.
    Nothing more to survey, nothing to colonize, I can't wardec because I'm in a Federation, and the game is chugging because of the amount of actors I guess so time isn't passing quickly.

This is probably what the negative reviews were talking about, it's pretty boring.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Isorn wrote: »

Exploring also an easy way to help level up a new generation of scientists once the old ones die off from old age. I'll need to weigh the "exchange star charts" trades more heavily next time.

I like the assist research option better. They give you huge research production boosts on your planet and get exp steadily while doing so.

• Options
    Found a strange bit of AI behaviour/calculations yesterday. One of my federation buddies decided to go to war with a neighbour of theirs. So I send my fleet over to help them with the campaign. We've had a few big space battles and taken a couple of planets, when I decide to see how our fleet strengths are matched up on the diplomacy screen. It is here that I find that they greet me cordially (despite our ships literally firing upon each other at that moment). Their having a 100 score embassy and our shared ethoses was more than enough to overcome the "Allied with rivals" negative modifiers.

Seems that if I'm literally at war with someone then they shouldn't be super duper pleased to see me...?

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    So can you rename rulers or not? I came across some people arguing over it.

• Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    So can you rename rulers or not? I came across some people arguing over it.

If the ruler is a leader(Governor, Scientist, Admiral, General) then yes, otherwise no. You can choose the name of your starting leader when you create your race though.

• Options
    there's something weird with what counts as eligible for exploration
    when i've diploannexed vassals their space becoming eligible to survey and then i pop a bunch of anomalies and its better and i wonder if it's like, double generating anomalies for those systems?

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    Found a strange bit of AI behaviour/calculations yesterday. One of my federation buddies decided to go to war with a neighbour of theirs. So I send my fleet over to help them with the campaign. We've had a few big space battles and taken a couple of planets, when I decide to see how our fleet strengths are matched up on the diplomacy screen. It is here that I find that they greet me cordially (despite our ships literally firing upon each other at that moment). Their having a 100 score embassy and our shared ethoses was more than enough to overcome the "Allied with rivals" negative modifiers.

Seems that if I'm literally at war with someone then they shouldn't be super duper pleased to see me...?

Sounds very british.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Damnit.

I need to build mining stations as part of my Ruler's mining expansion mandate for that sweet +influence reward.

Problem #1: I've built mining stations everywhere possible within my sphere, and I'm not in a position to expand my sphere by peaceful means right now (lack of influence for outposts, and lack of colonizable worlds).

Problem #2: I just had several enemy worlds ceded to me as part of a military campaign. I kept their orbital infrastructure intact since I intended to use it....except now I'm unable to build new stations to fulfill the mandate.

Note to self: Destroy just enough infrastructure to fulfill mining mandate with reconstruction operations.

Can you disband your existing stations and rebuild them?

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    The mandates definitely need to be more than just about space stations. I don't know why my democracy is obsessed with space stations.

• Options
    i wonder if there are extra mandates that are keyed to governing ethos
    i've also only seen the mining/orbital research mandates, + the legalize slavery one but those candidates never win

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Patchy McPatchface
    The second Hotfix for Stellaris should go live any minute now!

This Hotfix contains:
    - Fixed exploits in species customization which allowed players ignore limits to trait and ethic points etc.
    - Improved performance for war demands view
    - 'Hostile fleet detected' is now only shown when the fleet is heading towards one of your colonized systems, preventing massive spam in large wars.
    - UI fixes in server browser
    - It is now possible to connect directly to a server id
    - Fixed CTD when renaming sectors
    - Fixed CTD when fleets were traveling too far away from the galaxy center
    - Fixed CTD when a country was destroyed as a result of combat
    - Fixed CTD caused by ships shooting at ships that are not visible
    - Fixed an issue where you could not build space ports with some screen resolutions
    - It is no longer possible to build robot pops on uncolonized planets
    - Game pads are now turned off by default as this caused stuttering on some configurations. Game pads can be enabled again with the -gamepad launch option or the "gamepad" console command

We are aware of an issue where join game via the steam friends menu won't work if the game is password protected. This is still an issue but you should be able to bypass it with the Direct Join button. The host can see the server ID either in the multiplayer lobby or, if the game has started, in the tooltip for the date in the top right.

• Options
    Oh man, I hope 'Hostile fleet detected' is now only shown when the fleet is heading towards one of your colonized systems, preventing massive spam in large wars also counts for space squids. Early game can be brutal if you're on one of their migration paths.

This discussion has been closed.