As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Paradox Can Into Space With [Stellaris]

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    $10 is expensive dlc? That seems like a steal!

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Asthariel wrote: »
    I would prefer if this dlc was slightly cheaper but eh, as a Paradox junkie i will propably buy it anyway.

I'm totally going to buy it
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Count me in for multiplayer Stellaris fun. We should setup a Discord channel or something for easy organization. My Steam info is in the sig.

This is a good idea

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Right now I'm in the middle of my peaceful fungoids slowly engulfing the galaxy with their federation, but now I'm tempted to start over and go full military offensive.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I'd be down for Stellaris shenanigans later this week.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I've been holding off playing Stellaris while waiting for this patch.

But now Civ6 drops the day after...

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

I've been holding off playing Stellaris while waiting for this patch.

But now Civ6 drops the day after...

Right? :/

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    I'm up for stellaris multi. I've got a lot more freetime on my hands than last time around

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    oh boy new patch it out on the 20th and civ 6 is out on the 21st?! oh happy day

oh wait

my second kid is supposed to be born on the 14th?

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    oh boy new patch it out on the 20th and civ 6 is out on the 21st?! oh happy day

oh wait

my second kid is supposed to be born on the 14th?

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I have it on good authority that Civ is a great game to play with a single hand in the middle of the night.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    I might be interested in stellaris multiplayer, depending on what time it is. I currently work a fair amount of nights, so I might be able to work with US hours and long as I am actually free the day after so I can sleep late.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    I think I've mentioned previously, but I would definitely be up for some post-Heinlein multiplayer. With the caveat that I exist in the one true timezone (GMT). What day are folks thinking? Also are there gonna be any sort of in house rules with regards to play? Allowed timed pauses and the like?

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Oh man. I'd love some Stellaris MP, but my schedules are going to be horrid for the next couple weeks due to work travel. And I'm normally in Europe, so most times I could join would probably be Friday and Saturday, so I can sleep in the day after.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2016

What the fuck i͗ͩ̎ͭ̅ͦ̈̋͒̍͆̂ͯͫ͐̄͑̔sͦ̀̉̇ͦ̈́ͪ̂ͩͪ̀̚

]̳̱̖I̩̙a͚̤̲!̛͕̭̻͎ ͝I̞̣͕͈͓ͅa͔̩!̗̻͎̤͕ͅ C̟̮͎̲ͪ̐͟͜t̴̞̮̤̲͚̟̓̍ͭͮͭ̽͢͞ḩ̗͈͓̝͚̾̀̑u̱̗͖̣͍ͮ̏ͮ͐͟͟ͅl̷̮ͩ͋̓̀ḥ̝͙͓̭̘̏̈́ͬ̀́u̷̡̳͓͙͎̼̯̱͗̈́ͪ̐ F̀t͆̀͝h͂͒ͮ̔ͨa̶g̛͛ͣͩ̐nͮͣ!̈́̂̈́ͮ̃͂ ͩ̓̈́P̓hͪ̑ͤͧ͂́'͌̃̄n̎͊͋ͦg̜̟͙̯̝͕̀l̛͙̣̓ͩ̂͑̈̑ͫu̗̗͕͙̘̹̗̓̐ͯ̅ị͚͈̻͈̼̌̾̄͜ ͉̮̞̭̗͊̅͌ͥ͗͘m͇͖ͨ̈́͛͆͋ͤͮg͔̘̓̂̌ͧ͛̑̈l̦ͦw͍̟͋͆͐͢'́͡n͏fa̷ḩ̛ C̴̀t̢hu҉l̡͜h̡u̶̧ ͜R͏'̸l͢y̶͠e̷͝h ẅ̚͠g̍͒̑̏̆ą̸̵͂͊h́ͤ̃̉̐̓̓̈ͣ͜͞'̛̰̯̗̩͇͝͠ͅ n̗͍̳̺̲̰̝̪͠a͇̩͎̦̘͕̳̟̼̮͘͟͝͠ͅg̨̝͇̱̻̱̻͟͝ͅl̸̪͔̣̝̻̠̱̫͓̟͝f̵̵̢̟̼͈̟͇̮͎͎̖̭͕̾ͨͯͨ̅̈́̀͟h̴̫̩͎̗͇̤̯̞̬̪̳̠̯̟̲̬̱̙̔ͥ̐̄͗̒̊͟͞͞͠ť͉̞̲̙͕̜̮̤̦͓̖̦͙̈͊ͤ̽̌̇̈́̈͂̉́̀ą̵̡̼͇̝͓̞̤̺̪̳̀̓͊͌̅̀ͅg̶̵̺̦̘̗̣̱̖̟̮̤̰̗̰͑̀ͩ͊̄͐̚̕ͅn̗̖̞̱͈͚̭̘̮̘̱̘̺̓͐ͯ͌̈́ͨ̐̀̓̑͒̑̑͐̂̀͜͢!̨̛̩͉͈̤̞̯̥͊̓ͤ̽̒̌̐ ̵͍̳͓̯̝̖͔̩̦̠͈͍͇̖̯͎̕̕͜ͅͅ

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    So can anyone point to a decent write-up/tutorial/guide on the use of ethics and diplomacy in this game? These two things ALWAYS trip me up. I can never manage to kick off diplomacy more than "If I give you things, you like me a little." and I usually don't fare well with worlds after conquering. So I'm looking for options and guides on how to best deal with those. For the planet/populace management, I know that after war there is a time of malcontent, but managing the discontent factions for oppositely polarized peoples tells me I need to work on it. And I just do not get diplo in this game. The AI never wants to give me anything, even when I'm dumping huge amounts of things at them for even star charts. I haven't the first idea on how to make progress.

I am also getting tripped up in my most recent game because I started off with the xenophobe trait and I'm still playing like I have it, but very early on, 2 worlds in, I had an event fire that changed my race to religious fanatics. I still find myself acting like my race are xenophobes. Ahh well. Plus the conquered people are lazy, live on an opposite type of world, and are very very mad at me. I'm honestly considering just purging them from existence but I am not fully sure of the ramifications. Does it stick with you for the whole game?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JesDerJesDer Registered User regular
    Been a long while since I last played. The removal of embassies and it seems other tweaks really changed up the diplomacy part of the game. Everyone hates me except for the only empire that can actually challenge me which also mirrors me on the map. I know it is only a matter of time before I have to go to war with my only friend...

Most people claim to just purge as a way to get around pops hating you. I have never actually purged or enslaved a pop in any of hundred hours I have played. Often I will just throw their planets in a sector and let he AI worry about it. Just make sure to keep the faction under control with bribes and such whenever the support bar starts to fill up.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    ToyD wrote: »
    So can anyone point to a decent write-up/tutorial/guide on the use of ethics and diplomacy in this game? These two things ALWAYS trip me up. I can never manage to kick off diplomacy more than "If I give you things, you like me a little." and I usually don't fare well with worlds after conquering. So I'm looking for options and guides on how to best deal with those. For the planet/populace management, I know that after war there is a time of malcontent, but managing the discontent factions for oppositely polarized peoples tells me I need to work on it. And I just do not get diplo in this game. The AI never wants to give me anything, even when I'm dumping huge amounts of things at them for even star charts. I haven't the first idea on how to make progress.

I am also getting tripped up in my most recent game because I started off with the xenophobe trait and I'm still playing like I have it, but very early on, 2 worlds in, I had an event fire that changed my race to religious fanatics. I still find myself acting like my race are xenophobes. Ahh well. Plus the conquered people are lazy, live on an opposite type of world, and are very very mad at me. I'm honestly considering just purging them from existence but I am not fully sure of the ramifications. Does it stick with you for the whole game?

I'm probably not the one to write a tutorial, since my diplomacy and ethics are pretty much defined by: "Is it an alien? If yes, purge."
    Ramifications tend to be everyone hating you, depending on how purge-happy you are. Doesn't really matter if you're purging everyone anyway.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    Yea, this game is weird in that regard. With the victory conditions being what they are, who cares if everyone hates you? As long as you don't end up in several wars at once I suppose. I haven't enslaved/purged yet either, but it really is looking like the best option in this current game. And I still have no idea on diplomacy. I'll have days like this where I go looking for tutorials or something and basically just find forum posts asking questions with mostly not really good answers.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The diplomacy in Stellaris isn't robust enough to give the different species much in the way of personality. If there were a ton more events, various other interactions depending on ethoses etc. I could see myself playing more diplomatically. At the moment diplomacy doesn't give much satisfaction, since you know the species you've been cordial with will turn on you on a dime the second you become too powerful.

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    The diplomacy in Stellaris isn't robust enough to give the different species much in the way of personality. If there were a ton more events, various other interactions depending on ethoses etc. I could see myself playing more diplomatically. At the moment diplomacy doesn't give much satisfaction, since you know the species you've been cordial with will turn on you on a dime the second you become too powerful.

A friend is just an enemy that hasn't attacked yet?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Rhan9 wrote: »

A friend is just an enemy that hasn't attacked yet?

Pretty much. You can do everything well, be nice and cooperative, etc. etc. never slight them.
    And you'll get stabbed in the back the moment you cross an imaginary threshold that makes you too powerful. So I've adopted a pre-emptive "kill 'em all"-policy.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Yeah diplomacy is something I would like to see made dramatically more in depth. Not that these big changes to war and stuff aren't something I really want and I do think it will make the design more complex and interesting, and that's great, but diplomacy is one of the weakest areas of the game right now, and giving combat more (much needed) depth will only make it even less interesting by comparison.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Unfortunately, all of the above is pretty much standard for 4x games. :(

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    alright you scumbags, i set up a discord Stellaris channel. I'll update things later this evening but here ya go

https://discord.gg/dc9CkWk

• Options
    Civ has always had pretty robust diplomacy options. I think a few new victory conditions are needed before they work out extra diplomacy options though. Mostly because you need to have an end goal to work towards, then give options to get there. The framework is there with alliances and so on now, but as it stands, why bother when the end goal is always domination. Without goals other than outright conquest, why bother with anything else. I also am looking forward to the newest patch and content, I am also just happy to see it expand in more directions also.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    It's kind of funny actually, that in many ways the game encourages you to conquer those species that in theory you get along best with, especially if they tolerate world types you don't. Any empire that is close enough to your ethics to be a good friend is also filled with citizens that would most easily make good subjects (unless you're both Xenophobes I guess).

• Options
    Personally I love having to go to war because !!FUN!! spawns just out of reach of my warp gates ... Everyone opening boarders when the event triggered was great, but I need to be able to build gates to get there. Then shortly after cleaning up the mess, I get the research option for Jump drives.

Also as far as dealing with pops without purging. I forgot about it, but one thing I do is gene mod them for ethics divergence (and build anything to boost that and happiness on planet). It might take a while, but they will calm down eventually.

• Options
    Ironman + some weird troop fleet bug = ^%#@& .. I now have a fleet of troops with no name that I cannot see on the map or select, that also seems to make my mineral income about -800 of what it should be.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Oh man the graphics upgrades they've shown in the newest dev diary are amazing. The lasers!! :D

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Restarted in Ironman mode. Time to take the training wheels off.

The Imperium of Man will take its rightful place among the stars, and no filthy xenos will stand in our way.

Already researching Psi tech, have my destroyers fitted with UV lasers and cleared the neighborhood of alien influence.

CaptainPeacock on
    Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Basil wrote: »

What the fuck i͗ͩ̎ͭ̅ͦ̈̋͒̍͆̂ͯͫ͐̄͑̔sͦ̀̉̇ͦ̈́ͪ̂ͩͪ̀̚

]̳̱̖I̩̙a͚̤̲!̛͕̭̻͎ ͝I̞̣͕͈͓ͅa͔̩!̗̻͎̤͕ͅ C̟̮͎̲ͪ̐͟͜t̴̞̮̤̲͚̟̓̍ͭͮͭ̽͢͞ḩ̗͈͓̝͚̾̀̑u̱̗͖̣͍ͮ̏ͮ͐͟͟ͅl̷̮ͩ͋̓̀ḥ̝͙͓̭̘̏̈́ͬ̀́u̷̡̳͓͙͎̼̯̱͗̈́ͪ̐ F̀t͆̀͝h͂͒ͮ̔ͨa̶g̛͛ͣͩ̐nͮͣ!̈́̂̈́ͮ̃͂ ͩ̓̈́P̓hͪ̑ͤͧ͂́'͌̃̄n̎͊͋ͦg̜̟͙̯̝͕̀l̛͙̣̓ͩ̂͑̈̑ͫu̗̗͕͙̘̹̗̓̐ͯ̅ị͚͈̻͈̼̌̾̄͜ ͉̮̞̭̗͊̅͌ͥ͗͘m͇͖ͨ̈́͛͆͋ͤͮg͔̘̓̂̌ͧ͛̑̈l̦ͦw͍̟͋͆͐͢'́͡n͏fa̷ḩ̛ C̴̀t̢hu҉l̡͜h̡u̶̧ ͜R͏'̸l͢y̶͠e̷͝h ẅ̚͠g̍͒̑̏̆ą̸̵͂͊h́ͤ̃̉̐̓̓̈ͣ͜͞'̛̰̯̗̩͇͝͠ͅ n̗͍̳̺̲̰̝̪͠a͇̩͎̦̘͕̳̟̼̮͘͟͝͠ͅg̨̝͇̱̻̱̻͟͝ͅl̸̪͔̣̝̻̠̱̫͓̟͝f̵̵̢̟̼͈̟͇̮͎͎̖̭͕̾ͨͯͨ̅̈́̀͟h̴̫̩͎̗͇̤̯̞̬̪̳̠̯̟̲̬̱̙̔ͥ̐̄͗̒̊͟͞͞͠ť͉̞̲̙͕̜̮̤̦͓̖̦͙̈͊ͤ̽̌̇̈́̈͂̉́̀ą̵̡̼͇̝͓̞̤̺̪̳̀̓͊͌̅̀ͅg̶̵̺̦̘̗̣̱̖̟̮̤̰̗̰͑̀ͩ͊̄͐̚̕ͅn̗̖̞̱͈͚̭̘̮̘̱̘̺̓͐ͯ͌̈́ͨ̐̀̓̑͒̑̑͐̂̀͜͢!̨̛̩͉͈̤̞̯̥͊̓ͤ̽̒̌̐ ̵͍̳͓̯̝̖͔̩̦̠͈͍͇̖̯͎̕̕͜ͅͅ

Ok, I've always been curious, but how exactly does one make their text look like that?

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Looks like we have patch notes for Heinlein.

The full list is too large to post here on the forums. So it's link only I'm afraid!

Pretty picture for the major bits.

stellaris_patchnotes_1-3-jpg.212600

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    Looks like we have patch notes for Heinlein.

The full list is too large to post here on the forums. So it's link only I'm afraid!

Pretty picture for the major bits.

stellaris_patchnotes_1-3-jpg.212600

Looks like they're tweaking how FTL works a bit to make it easier to chase down enemy fleets trying to do hit&run in your territory:

-Hyperdrive now requires you to be outside the gravity well like other FTL types
    -Wormholes take 30% longer to form if generating one outside of friendly territory
    -Hyperdrive windup time increased based on the distance between start point and friendly territory.
    -Warp winddown time increased based on the distance between the destination point and friendly territory.

On the Diplomacy/War side

-"Not diplomatically relevant" is gone, replaced by distance between borders.
    -can conquer worlds whose pops are majority your starting species, regardless of war philosophy.
    -how much threat you generate from conquering worlds now takes into account the aggressiveness of the conquered; aggressive targets generate less threat, and Fanatical Purifiers and Awakened Fallen Empires generate 0 threat. AI empires will also have less threat from your actions if you have a NAP or Defensive Pact with them.
    -Abandon Planet is now the same as Cede Planet in terms of warscore and threat generated.
    -Have to declare war on the overlord if you want to take planets from a vassal (likely to prevent you from wardecing one, taking worlds, then immediately wardecing the other to take more worlds from the same empire.)
    -AI should be more diplomatically active.

On Ethos and government:

-Collectivist Empires have cheaper costs for actions related to factions
    -Individualist Empires have smaller happiness penalties for pops who don't like your policies (I assume even if the pop in question isn't individualist)
    -Materialist Empires have reduced building cost
    -Xenophobe Empires have better border projection
    -Militarist and Xenophobe bonuses to max rivals/rival influence gain has be flipped (i.e. Militarists get more influence from rivals, Xenophobes can have more rivals)
    -Pacifist and Xenophile penalties to max rivals and rival influence gain has been removed.
    -Despotic Empire now reduces colony influence cost and increases border range, rather than reduce building cost and increase slave productivity.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    So now there's no benefit to hyperdrive at all relative to the other FTL types. Great.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Looks like they're buffing fixed defenses quite a bit with lots of huge armor increases.

I'm hugely okay with the toning down of FTL types; AI fleets that do nothing but jump from system to system refusing to engage anything are one of the most aggravating parts of war in Stellaris, especially if you're playing something like a warp empire that needs a month of "I can get shot at with impunity" between moves.

I'm nervous that there's nothing in the patch notes about prioritizing targets that shoot back, unless that's under the "tweaks to AI movement in war" thing. I hope I don't keep losing fleets because a weaker force pecks them to death while they're matching speeds with a transport just outside of weapons range.

Meanwhile, the bugfix part of Paradox patch notes continues to be entertaining:
    • Xenophobic robots no longer hate their builders
    • Uses proper ordinal numbers for 11, 12, and 13
    • Fixed a bug where liberate planet wargoal could create a pre-sentient empire (?!!)

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    * Hard cap on Naval Capacity increased from 1000 to 9999

We will swarm across the stars as locusts

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    God damn, I was hoping they'd lower the hard cap on naval capacity. By like, a lot.

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    God damn, I was hoping they'd lower the hard cap on naval capacity. By like, a lot.

But you can still only build 9 star-worlds that take 1000 naval capacity!

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    I wonder if paradox is ever gonna give up and admit that it does early access.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular

Why? I really felt 1000 was too damn little to clean up the crisis scenario or fight the universe alone.

And well, in single player those two things are things you will have to do!

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    So now there's no benefit to hyperdrive at all relative to the other FTL types. Great.

Well it looks like you wont get the cooldown from the warp drives, which is pretty big.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
This discussion has been closed.