Options

Indie Games: There Are Only Two Kinds

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    James Videogames is my go to source on all the latest hits

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    The hilarious thing about that review to me isn't the content of that tweet, but that I remember going to that site in like 1999 for rpg news and it still looks exactly the same.
    Every once in a blue moon I'll visit ainitcool.com - a course of action I do not necessarily recommend - and there is something comforting to me about how the site's design remains stalwart and unchanging in the face of a changing world.

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Pander to Nostalgia
    It's kind of nice how the Space Jam website remains as a sort of time capsule into 1996.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I actually found the little bit of steampunk in 80 Days to be really charming and quite amusing at times. It adds the right little dash of uncanny to situations and locales that spices things up.

e: also this is based on Around the World in 80 Days, the book by Jules Verne. The author of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Journey to the Center of the Earth, which were pretty steampunk (though more a weird sci-fi really) in some ways. It doesn't feel out of place to me.

Anzekay on
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Pander to Nostalgia
    80 days is very good I think

the prose is a bit clunky and it is also a bit too steampunk. steampunk was not necessary. the 19th century is actually more interesting without giant robots, although maybe that's a niche opinion

but the basic gameplay mechanic and the way it links all these little vignettes together into a coherent narrative in a totally seamless way is so good

I respect the sentiment but have a hard time agreeing with a statement that contains the phrase "more interesting without giant robots".

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I really wish that was out this week, cause I'm having like a dozen people over tomorrow and it'd be perfect

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Walking Simulator
    Toren is a neat little game. I beat it in a little under 2 hours, but I think that's a good length for a game of its type. There's definitely a lot of jank, and even knowing the story behind its development having to deal with that for a long period of time would overshadow the story and aesthetic enjoyment of it. I liked it overall, and it's on sale at GMG right now for $5.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    No Drawful in JBB2? That's a bummer, Bidiots better be good

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    yeah drawful has more long term staying power than fibbage unless they start regularly adding in more questions

eventually you just memorize the questions in fibbage: you can ALWAYS draw badly in new and exciting ways

• Options
    edited October 2015
    I'm watching a video of bidiots and the rules seem very unintuitive, gut impression is that it will lack the communal chaos of drawful and be worse :(
    Though I guess watching this video I'm missing info that's on peoples phones so maybe that's the problem

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Pander to Nostalgia
    yeah drawful has more long term staying power than fibbage unless they start regularly adding in more questions

eventually you just memorize the questions in fibbage: you can ALWAYS draw badly in new and exciting ways

Many years ago, I was playing Cranium with my parents, and my sister and her then husband, who was on my team.
    We got the card where it had a word, and you had to draw stuff with your eyes closed/blindfolded to get your teammate to guess it.
    I figured this would be easy, since he was an artist.
    He proceeded to draw like, 7 pictures that, were surprisingly good considering the handicap, but I could not connect them in a way to get what the answer was.
    Finally, the time was up, and he goes "Roots! It was roots!"
    "Huh? How?"
    "It's Roots! That's the plot of the movie Roots!"
    "You couldn't just draw a tree and circle the bottom?"
    In his defense though, I hadn't seen Roots so maybe if I'd been more cultured I'd have figured it out.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Pander to Nostalgia
    See, there was his fatal flaw, Roots is a mini-series, not a movie.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Pander to Nostalgia
    See my guess is that he was just actively fucking with you guys

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Pander to Nostalgia
    we kind of don't need a drawful 2 since the original has so much replay value as it is

fibbage demanded a follow-up though

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Walking Simulator
    Aistan wrote: »
    Toren is a neat little game. I beat it in a little under 2 hours, but I think that's a good length for a game of its type. There's definitely a lot of jank, and even knowing the story behind its development having to deal with that for a long period of time would overshadow the story and aesthetic enjoyment of it. I liked it overall, and it's on sale at GMG right now for $5.

Huh, I haven't heard of the story behind its development.

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    They just played some Bidiots on UPF

It made no sense to me

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    They just played some Bidiots on UPF

It made no sense to me

It seemed fairly straightforward to me. Everyone gets partial information on the worth of the paintings, so it's up to you to use that information to either buy the painting because you know it's worth a lot, buy the painting because someone else wants it and you figure that they know what it's worth, drive up the price but not buy it to make someone else pay over market-value for it or drive up the price but not buy it because you're the artist and get a cut of the deal.

I thought it looked neat.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Pander to Nostalgia
    it's a hidden information and/or bluffing based bidding game with a pinch of drawful thrown in to add some chaos

I dig it

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Walking Simulator
    I love auction mechanics in games, and I love Drawful, so Bidiots couldn't be any further up my alley

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    bidiots is like the most board game game jack box has done

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Yeah I'm more on board with bidiots now that I have a bit of a better idea about what informs the bidding and how the prompts are designed to clash and mislead, that bit definitely doesn't play on streams because you can't see it

The sound effects game looks lame. The bomb game looks ok but I doubt my crowd of friends would go for it

Steam ID
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I hope quiplash xl has stronger prompts. One of the weaknesses my group found was that the game tried too hard to give you joke setups, when filling in fib age blanks still gets the largest laighs

I also think our group hit the point where we were too familiar with too many drawful prompts, so while it does have longer legs than fib age it still could have used another infusion of content

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Pander to Nostalgia
    How much did the app cost

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Kanye West: Concerned Parent

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Walking Simulator
    Imagine being the Candy Crush customer support agent who fields a call from an irate Kanye West

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Pander to Nostalgia
    Imagine being the Candy Crush customer support agent who fields a call from an irate Kanye West
    Sir, Imma let you finish but I have to put you on hold...

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Pander to Nostalgia
    Why would you hand a kid an iPad that doesn't have password protection on purchases

I can see little North West accidentally hitting the $99 option but I can't see her accidentally typing in the correct Apple ID password

Also there are parental controls to just block in app purchases altogether

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Pander to Nostalgia
    Does it matter whether the password protection is there? The ads still pop up.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Pander to Nostalgia
    Radius wrote: »
    Does it matter whether the password protection is there? The ads still pop up.

Yes it matters

It's a non-issue

Also it's weird to see this coming from Kanye, how much money did Kim Kardashian get from her microtransaction-based game?

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    That game's not for children, though

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Pander to Nostalgia
    That's all on parents though

Take a few seconds to secure your device that you're giving to your kids, for fuck's sake

And again if it's an iPad the purchase password should be on default, like, he'd have to specifically turn that feature off to make it a problem

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Walking Simulator
    That's all on parents though

Take a few seconds to secure your device that you're giving to your kids, for fuck's sake

And again if it's an iPad the purchase password should be on default, like, he'd have to specifically turn that feature off to make it a problem

You're not wrong, but there are absolutely companies out there whose business model is "Let's target people who don't have these protections on in the hopes that their kids will spend a shitload of money with no idea what they're doing, and their parents don't realize it till it's too late."

Like yeah, it'd be great if people understood technology, but when companies are shitty exploitative manipulative fucks we should probably also highlight that.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    If you mark a game as For Kids on the app store, Apple requires that you put some kind of gate before any IAP. That gate can be a simple addition problem with two wrong answers. They should make it require the itunes password for any purchases in a kids app.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I mean even if the system works perfectly and kids can never make purchases without parental approval

I'm not ready to say it's totally cool and okay that apps for kids push microtransactions like that

Advertising to kids is usually pretty predatory shit

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Ideally, Apple wouldn't allow IAPs in apps designed for kids.

But Apple didn't become the most valuable company in the world by doing that kind of shit.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Theres reasons for IAP, it could be new stories for the story book app, or whole new levels for a game. It's not all energy and diamonds.
    Alot of it is energy and diamonds though

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    IAP aren't necessarily bad, even in a kids app

A lot of it comes down to how that stuff is being surfaced

A lot of games are pretty blatant about telling you how much more fun you could be having if you spend some money, and when you take that and aim it at kids it gets incredibly dirtydirty, unfortunately those are also the ones that make money hand over fist

This discussion has been closed.