As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rare Replay: A Bear, a Piñata and a Secret Agent walk into a disc

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    What was Rare reasoning for Nuts and Bolts?

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Basically they had an actual Banjo Threeie (or whatever) up and running, but they felt they were just running through the motions again and not adding anything to the genre so they nixed it and did something different.

• Options
    Lou29Lou29 Registered User regular
    Instead of Conker 2?! What the hell were they thinking?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Lou29 wrote: »
    Instead of Conker 2?! What the hell were they thinking?

Why would Conker be any different? Beyond dumping swear words and "mature themes" into a platformer, it didn't really do much of any significance for the genre.

And considering Nuts and Bolts was a fantastic and creative game, I'm really glad they made that over a just another sequel.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I'm surprised microsoft hasn't made a successor to nuts and bolts yet, banjo or not

it seems perfect in these days of minecraft

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Playing Conker for the first time it is very different from what I was expecting, Banjo Kong 64 with curse words. I'm liking it a lot more than I thought I would.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I adore Nuts & Bolts, warts and all. Except for the titular duo's re-design.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    I wish the isometric NES games had analog stick controls, press left on the stick to press up-left or whatever on the nes pad and just move left.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I love Square Banjo and I don't care who knows it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Conker was just stupid and crude and I loved it, it was Ren and Stimpy run amok, which was unique in games (to me, at least) at the time, I didn't play any of the "adult" PC games (Leisure Suit Larry, whatever else). I remember it being sold more on the "look, we spoof the Matrix, Saving Private Ryan, Gladiator, etc." than "we swear constantly, the training mission is you curing a hangover, and you have to piss on rock people in one level", so it was a hilarious surprise. I don't hate Nuts and Bolts, but like someone said, it feels like they were 75% done with a Banjo 3 and decided to suddenly make a neat side feature they'd come up with the basis for the whole game. If it were just finding new parts to complete blueprints for better vehicles, I'd be fine, but having to slap a bunch of tiny, identical stuff together to make your own rickety pile of crap is on par with building gummi ships annoying for me.

• Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Banjo-Tooie was awesome, there were some seriously dynamic puzzles there. I can't count the number of "we're going to show you a thing that is currently inaccessible, now you have to be clever to access it" elements there were - I like that a lot better than games that simply demand that you look harder in every crevice of the map to find the missing doodad.

• Options
    Banjo-Tooie's huge, intricately interconnected world was awesome

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I did enjoy walking around Tooie's world a lot more than backtracking constantly through the castle in 1. I haven't touched Grabbed by the Ghoulies yet, any opinions about it?

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I was probably the perfect age for Conker when it came out so I loved that game. Played a bunch of the multiplayer with friends too

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    As I said in the OP, I consider Tooie to be even better than the original, which is high praise for both games.

I haven't played Ghoulies since the demo disc back in the day, but I remember that being pretty uninteresting.

• Options
    Hey Viva Pinata experts

Is there any real reason for me to play the first game since Trouble In Paradise is on the disk too

Isn't Trouble In Paradise just Viva Pinata with more stuff and improvements

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    I had no idea you could be bad at Viva Piñata, all my pinatas are fighting each other constantly and getting sick even if they haven't been fighting. I guess I need to start fencing them all in? I dunno, I just got my first space upgrade and decided to let them have at it while I prepared land.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Hey Viva Pinata experts

Is there any real reason for me to play the first game since Trouble In Paradise is on the disk too

Isn't Trouble In Paradise just Viva Pinata with more stuff and improvements

I'm curious about this as well.

Is there like...a story? Or any other reason one would want to play the first one first?

• Options
    Perfect Dark holds up better than I thought

Thanks to very very generous autoaim and being able to remap the controls into Call of Duty

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Snake Rattle N' Roll is interesting, although I'll have to sit down and figure out how the movement works.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I bought this yesterday.

I then powered onto blast corps getting a shit load of gold medals and onto the expert levels.

Vivienne describes the music as, "I can't understand how you can listen to this "

I hum along to it.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Blast Corps was the first game I loaded up, it's fascinating to play the games that I'd only previously seen at a friends' place all those years ago.

• Options
    I love it to bits.

The camera is a bit janky but the game itself still holds up.

• Options
    Somehow Blast Corps is the only classic N64 Rare game I never played

yo Blast Corps rules

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Blast Corps, of all the games in the collection, is the one making me consider an Xbox One.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    I like how I got an Xbox One a short while ago and have primarily been playing old N64 platformers on it.

Truly the next generation is here!

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I love Square Banjo and I don't care who knows it

I get what they were attempting but they failed.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Perfect Dark holds up better than I thought

Thanks to very very generous autoaim and being able to remap the controls into Call of Duty

I remember playing Perfect Dark back when it came out, there was a bit (I think) towards the end of the first level where the bad guy is trying to get away in a helicopter, you're chasing him towards the roof and you can hear some noises, then you bust through the door and someone's standing there with a hostage. To this day I don't know whether the auto-aim kicked in or I managed to aim up just enough before reflexively pulling the trigger but I nailed that guy before I even registered he was there, and I felt like a badass.

Some or all of this is probably completely wrong, but I still remember that feeling.

(I don't have an Xbox Anything but I loved most Rare games so though I'd pop in)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    Conker, have your controls always been so floaty and loose or did they just work better with a 64 controller? STOP SWIMMING INTO THE BLADES AND WALKING OFF LEDGES, DAMMIT!!!

• Options
    Oh yes.

I remember you Oyster Harbor.

And That I Hate You.

• Options
    Lou29 wrote: »
    Conker, have your controls always been so floaty and loose or did they just work better with a 64 controller? STOP SWIMMING INTO THE BLADES AND WALKING OFF LEDGES, DAMMIT!!!

Conker isn't like a very well put together game. I honestly don't get why people think it's anything special outside of the mulitplayer modes .

• Options
    So I was all like "I'm totally going to get that "Who's the Boss" Stop and Swap II unlock this time around!" and then I played though that shit again and went "Oh yeah, I remember why I gave up on this the first time. Yikes."

How people have beaten all 15 bosses in 15 minutes I will never know. Even reading a guide hasn't helped.

• Options
    Through a series of unfortunate events last night I someone ended up playing the speeder section of Battletoads with two controllers at the same time, by myself

and I finished it

and I'll never be the same

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Through a series of unfortunate events last night I someone ended up playing the speeder section of Battletoads with two controllers at the same time, by myself

and I finished it

You might be a god now

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular

and I finished it

I was trying to do a no-continues run of Batman 89' on the NES last year.

Here was the catch - I was drinking. My friend would come over and watch me play and get mad and start over and we would just have a good time.

I had gotten to the point where I could consistently beat the game, but I typically made it to the clock-tower and used my last life beating FireFly and the Joker would kill me with erratic lightning.

So this one night, I have four shots and immediately start up the game.

15 minutes later, I had finished it.

Not a no-continue run.

I didn't die once.

The shots hadn't even had a chance to register in my system yet, but I started screaming for about a minute and then was instant drunk.

That was a good night.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    PhantPhant Registered User regular
    Snake Rattle N' Roll is interesting, although I'll have to sit down and figure out how the movement works.

I owned this on the NES in the day, and it is fantastic in every way.

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    Oh yes.

I remember you Oyster Harbor.

And That I Hate You.

I am still stuck on this level. Usually it's fifteen minutes of intense and busy destruction and then I push the explosives into the nuclear device.

• Options
    I have now coerced a friend of mine who is a lifelong Banjo fanatic to learn how to speedrun the first game

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I have now coerced a friend of mine who is a lifelong Banjo fanatic to learn how to speedrun the first game

My quickest time is apparently 7 hours, but I wasn't trying to speedrun there.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Jet Force Gemini was an unforgettable experience that probably could have only happened to two kids back in the time when co-op was a wasteland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VFHoo_kNL8

Also, I submit that it had some of the best bosses on the N64

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.