As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bicycle Thread Is Coming Your Way

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    All I need to get around is a bus pass, but I still want a Lamborghini.

I want a DH bike with 12 inches of travel.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I have an absolute madman of a buddy that does hard frame single speed downhill.

It's one of those things where you look at it and realize, why DO I need this much bike??

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Fixed gear gravel is definitely a thing. Never heard of hard frame downhill though.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Fixed gear downhill ("cross-country"? Riding up and down mountains, just not quite as enthusiastically on people do on full DH bikes) is certainly possible, just not very fun.

I rode one year singlespeed and that was fine (if a bit rough on the knees and I wound up walking up more uphills), then the next year tried switching it to a fixed-gear, and made it for like three rides before going back. Uphill's not very different, but downhill, ugh. It made any sort of rock garden pretty hair-raising because if your pedals are going to be in the wrong place when a rock's coming up, that's that, you can't do a lot about it except deal with pedal strike, so I switched from clipless to flats to give me a bit more scope to use my feet to get over things. Same with even small dropoffs or logs, I just couldn't get the technique together because I couldn't move my weight around enough while also keeping pedalling.

(on the flat / city riding it's okay, I have enough time to get up/down curbs, but on trails there was just too much to do too often)

FhVa22Q.jpg

• Options
    meanwhile, via the anime thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w90PUm6iVyg

yes, it is an advert for bikes. and the retrogrouch in me can't help but feel like it really ought to have been a steel frame if they're going to advertise it like that, sheesh

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Don't mind me, I'm just sitting here making what's effectively a mood board for the bike I want to buy that is currently on pause

oOLns6Qh.png

InAJQ7Kh.png

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I love everything about that. I wish when I was buying mine Giant were doing more colours than "black" or "red and black." I'd have everything various shades of purple / pink like that

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Pink means danger!
    Nice.

Downhill hardtail just makes my back hurt thinking about it, but definitely did it in the past (azonic steelhead with a fox 36) at a lower scale. My current favorite ride is a 27.5 kona explosif steel hardtail single-speed. Super fun through most trails. You just never.stop.pedaling.

Also just ordered my son his first real bike. So psyched to ride with him.

• Options
    Why are nice bike seats so expensive :(

• Options
    HereticAstartesHereticAstartes Registered User regular
    These are the pedals I have https://www.crankbrothers.com/products/mallet-2

The only negative I'm noticing is a lack of feedback when clipping in. Most of the time I only know I'm clipped in when my shoes are suddenly stuck to the pedals. This could easily be a function of me not knowing how to adjust them however.

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Fixed gear downhill ("cross-country"? Riding up and down mountains, just not quite as enthusiastically on people do on full DH bikes) is certainly possible, just not very fun.

I rode one year singlespeed and that was fine (if a bit rough on the knees and I wound up walking up more uphills), then the next year tried switching it to a fixed-gear, and made it for like three rides before going back. Uphill's not very different, but downhill, ugh. It made any sort of rock garden pretty hair-raising because if your pedals are going to be in the wrong place when a rock's coming up, that's that, you can't do a lot about it except deal with pedal strike, so I switched from clipless to flats to give me a bit more scope to use my feet to get over things. Same with even small dropoffs or logs, I just couldn't get the technique together because I couldn't move my weight around enough while also keeping pedalling.

(on the flat / city riding it's okay, I have enough time to get up/down curbs, but on trails there was just too much to do too often)

Yeah, single speed is unpleasant but fixed-gear just sounds awful outside of pretty controlled situations, and I don't think I'd want to be going so fast on a bike anywhere around here that I'd actually benefit from having fixed-gear and huge legs over multiple gears.

• Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    I was directed here after a post in H/A asking about bikes, so here's what I need to ask. It looks like you guys can point me in the right direction. I'm going to mostly just copy/paste what I asked for there since it has all the info.

It's time to add biking to my exercise to augment my running and let my legs have a day or two off of being pounded into the pavement. I have a few wants/requirements here. Suggest some likely decent bikes and a size for me. Used or new is fine. I'm impatient, so I'm likely to end up buying new, but I have nothing against used other than the wait for the right thing to become available near me.

* Most riding will be done in the city for exercise to augment running
    * Want to be able to go offroad, fairly rough, when life allows
    * Want to be able to do dumb stuff - jumping things, etc. I'm old, so nothing crazy, but I also never really grew up
    * Trying to keep it under $1000. Ideally WAY under, but I don't want to spend $500 and not have something that makes me happy. 100% open to buying used as well once I know what I am looking for.
    * I'm 6'2" or just under, 32-34" inseam (seems to vary) - I've read everything from needing a 19" to 22" frame plus many just say "large" or "x-large". What size frame do I need? I'm guessing that may vary some from brand to brand on things like "large".

It seems bike terms have changed some since I last purchased a bike a million years ago. It looks like I am looking at something in the realm of Trail Bike, Hybrid Bike, or possibly Cyclocross (but those seem to get expensive quick and may be a bit too road oriented). Last time I bought a bike the term Trail Bike meant one of those things that mostly looked like a mountain bike, but wasn't intended to ever jump or otherwise leave the ground or ride anything much rougher than a well groomed, family day out oriented bike trail.

Some recent light research on random blogs and looking at local bike shops and rei online suggest that something along the lines of the Canondale Quick or Canondale Trail series bikes may be a good fit. Obviously there are a lot more options than those out there, though.

So, models I shoud be looking at? Specific names of bike styles I may have overlooked or be wrong about? Frame size I should be aiming for?

• Options
    If you're looking for a swiss army knife that can do road, bike paths and dorking around on light trails - something like a gravel grinder would be good. https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/a27021852/gravel-biking/
    These are road-centric hardtails that veer into cyclocross to make them more flexible. I'd personally recommend something with a steel frame as they'll be invincible and more comfortable than aluminum to ride. Surly makes some great ones. Perhaps even look into two sets of wheels to make the trail/road switch a five minute affair.
    If you want more FUN for dorking around, perhaps look at a hardtail like these: https://www.redbull.com/us-en/10-best-trail-hardtail-mountain-bikes-for-2017
    However, these are absolutely built around mountain bike/trialsy type stuff that involves jumping off of things, which will get you hurt (generally) and they'll suck out loud to pedal on tar unless you change the tires. That said, aggressive hardtails are some of the best fun there is.

• Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    yeah, two sets of wheels was definitely something I was considering. Not necessary at first, 95%+ of my riding will be city and residential areas and the sorts of light trails that are in those areas. Definitely want it to be able to take a little beating, though, because I'll still find stuff to be jumping, etc.

Just trying to find a few suggestions of specific models which are reasonably priced and are known to hold up to some abuse while also not being miserable on the road. The marketing info of course always says every bike is great for everything. I have looked at several of the "best bikes of X year" deals. I'll check out what's on that redbull one, but on many of them the prices are closer to what I'd want to pay for a car than a bike.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Eh, you might not need two wheelsets. You can get a surprising amount of off-roading done on 32c tyres, as long as you stay away from soft dirt and loose deep gravel. Regular hard-packed dirt trails are fine, and if you're running tyres that aren't too knobby and you pump the pressure up for sidewalks/roads, they're not exactly abysmal for road riding either.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    schuss on
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I have last year's Breezer Radar Cafe in Large; I'm 6'1, and it fits me just fine. I'm currently using some Schwalbe Land Cruiser tyres and went poking around our neighborhood yesterday on road, gravel-covered road, construction site debris, wet grass, mud, and dried-out JCB tracks through mud, and they were fine for grip and comfortable enough under the circumstances.

I've had it for a year and a half or so and it's stood up to that much time of relatively abusive commuting / bits of off-roading through parks along the way, and it's as fast as I need it to be on roads, though I wouldn't want to actually race it against people on drop bars or anything.

So far, it's needed various flat tire replacements (and I switched out the tires it came with), new brake pads, and that's been it, everything else is fine. The QRs are a bit persnickety but otherwise there's nothing I'd change.

djmitchella on
  • Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    Got out today for 18.5 miles. Was good to get out and blow away the cobwebs but the long hill up Beachy Head was also directly into a headwind. That were a wee bit painful. Lovely weather otherwise though.

r0d03f85mfk0.jpg

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Yeah, so why do most gravel bikes I see have drop bars? I thought those were about speed, to improve aerodynamics.

I'm still on a long timeline to think about a new bike (what with not being able to properly shop right now) but I like the idea of not going full road bike. I'm never going to race. I might do some "fun" event rides, general road riding for exercise, a modest amount of trail riding, and if I can get it together, mild touring. I imagine cyclocross, and frankly a road bike as well could do those, but the touring and trail riding aspects of what I listed interest me the most.

Don't think I'll find too many of them on Facebook marketplace though, too hot and recent of a trend.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    For me drop bars are more about the change in posture and wrist position. I'm almost always on the hoods, barely touch my actual drops. I don't think this is a rare thing, and I kind of find it weird that dropless hood bars aren't more of a thing

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Same for me; it's nice to be able to change your positioning, especially if you do long rides.

Septus you may be surprised, my friend in Michigan found both a Surly Bridge Club and a Salsa Marrakesh on resale lately. I think in part the popularity means that people are grabbing new bikes and realizing they don't want them/they don't work/they aren't going to really pick up the hobby.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Why are nice bike seats so expensive :(

Wouldn’t want pudental nerve compression from a seat that fit poorly

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    So I just did maybe my deepest clean ever of a bike, though that's probably relative and not actually super clean. I scraped each and every tooth clean of the derailleur cogs, and pretty well each tooth of the rear cassette cogs, and the central space right around the hub of the wheel where the quick release skewer goes. I don't really need to worry about reapplying grease I hope if I didn't touch anything tightly wound like a screw or seatpost do I? I just did soapy water, scrubbed, washed off, and lubed the chain.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    34 miles in just over three hours and one steep hill that I had to push some of. My fitness is coming back but it's not quite there yet.

zh8hyjztbt1p.jpg
    h1rw778dwe6t.jpg
    v26bwxjk64d2.jpg

• Options
    For me drop bars are more about the change in posture and wrist position. I'm almost always on the hoods, barely touch my actual drops. I don't think this is a rare thing, and I kind of find it weird that dropless hood bars aren't more of a thing

... Bullhorns?

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited May 2020

... Bullhorns?

Yeah they exist (though I didn’t know the proper name for them), I’d just expect to see them more

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I think it's a fashion thing? I remember them being much more widespread when I was younger, but now everybody seems to have single speeds and drop bars instead.

• Options
    Bullhorns are still reasonably popular on single/fixed bikes, but why limit yourself to one type of handlebar?

s0y7br9mynqc.jpg

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Bullhorns are still reasonably popular on single/fixed bikes, but why limit yourself to one type of handlebar?

s0y7br9mynqc.jpg

6/10 needs a set of time trial handlebars for extra impaling action.

• Options
    Tynnan wrote: »

s0y7br9mynqc.jpg

And where's the BMX bars?

• Options
    edited May 2020
    I should have done some gardening today. But the weather was too good to just waste like that. So I went out for three and half hours in the sun and cycled 37 miles round the lanes. And what with the pubs being shut for some reason I had the good sense to stuff a beer in the saddlebag.

0fm727oszkko.jpg
    npdkloks2ecz.jpg
    ajtp65m4j6kv.jpg
    uyofo6hz4q4m.jpg
    p67q1qlwzmxt.jpg
    2f4jaq8m0z7n.jpg

Ashaman42 on
  • Options
    Ripping it in my way to work today. The later portion is down town so I gotta go a bit slower so I can stop if needed.

hxvhjxb8jly8.png

8.64 mile

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »

s0y7br9mynqc.jpg

And where's the BMX bars?

The ape hanger style you see on choppers and the blinged out kid's bikes

• Options
    This was Sunday but I went out for 43 miles which is now my longest ride of the year. Bloody lovely it was and I didn't let lockdown stop me having a beer at my favourite pub. Hooray for capacious saddlebags!

3khv5ggl3ctf.jpg
    8opug6lkqtsa.jpg

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Did my first serious ride on the west coast, Berkeley to San Rafael and back. That bridge is a slog in hot weather, I expect I’ll be feeling it tomorrow.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Did my first serious ride on the west coast, Berkeley to San Rafael and back. That bridge is a slog in hot weather, I expect I’ll be feeling it tomorrow.

I had to google that. Hell of a ride, about 35 miles total give or take a couple? Is it a scenic ride?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Yeah about that - was 60km round trip from my friends house, then another ten for me out to their place and back. But it’s really pretty, especially if you take the north end of the bay path up to Richmond.
    I took almost no photos because my phone hates me and opening the camera often crashes it completely, but I did grab a couple at the halfway point over the bay

mwyawxivd8nn.jpeg

Edit: this is the photo I should have taken, it’s an amazing bit of architecture. Also a 14% steady incline for about 2km.

2a27ol5wyiiq.jpeg

tynic on
  • Options
    Do it on a fixed gear

• Options
    It’s the bay area, so I’m sure that’s a popular activity

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    It’s the bay area, so I’m sure that’s a popular activity

Since it's Bay area, you need to add "while naked".
    Critical Mass was always a sea of dongs