As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bicycle Thread Is Coming Your Way

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    I continues to impress me that a bike is somehow less valuable than it's components.

Yes I'm currently building a bike shh.

Here's what it looks like:

Redline R760 frame/fork and crank
    8-speed 700c unknown wheels (but nice)
    Modolo equipe brake set
    Brooks saddle and peddles
    SRAM-500 TT bar end shifters

I'm very excited to have a real adult road bike.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    What does 8 speed mean in the context of wheels?

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Septus wrote: »
    What does 8 speed mean in the context of wheels?

I meant regular 700c wheels with a 8-speed cassette.

I like to ART
  • Options
    Ah. 8 seems...low in a modern sense but I'm sure it saves on cost.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Depends entirely on gearing and terrain. Sometimes a ten or eleven cog cassette is overkill.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    10? 11? 13 speeds is the way to go. (though they still haven't caught up to Sheldon Brown's nanodrive yet).

On a serious note, though, the fatbike I got has a 1x10 drivetrain and the chain is so thin I wound up snapping it when trying to pedal in snow that was a bit too deep; I haven't had that problem with drivetrains with more sensibly-sized chains, so I can't help feeling that by the time you get to 13 speeds either the chain must be super thin, or the dishing on the wheel will be crazy (or the rear spacing super wide), all of which feels weird to me.

• Options
    I guess I'm not aware of any real downsides to a 10/11 speed cassette, other than cost, and I guess it doesn't look as svelte. Crosschaining, sure if it's a 1x, but I just really like having the gear range for hills and some bag weight.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I have a singlespeed and my MTB is 12 speeds. Changed out the tires on my singlespeed the other day and starting to build some trails in my woods. Should be a fun biking summer.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    I love that between people like Sheldon Brown and Genuine Bicycle Products the bike community decided Web 1.0 was good enough thank you very much.

Also my commute is pretty much flat right now, and I've been on a fixie/single speed for decades so the idea of gears at all seems hedonistic.

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    So on my ride before last the front shifter/gears were not behaving. Very heavy upshift and slow to drop down a ring on the downshift.

Didn't fix it when I got in but checked it out before yesterday's ride. This sort of thing can often be the gear cable starting to fray/snap, often inside the lever mechanism which is a bugger to sort if it fails completely. But it was odd, it's normally a progressively worsening problem and it was absolutely fine the ride before.

Couldn't see the cable head with the available slack so resigned myself to undoing the cable at the mech end and the subsequent resetting of the gear tension. Which isn't difficult but is a pain when you just want to ride.

Luckily before I undid anything I noticed some splashes of cola on the frame around the bottom bracket where my bottle fizzed over a bit on the ride before last. A quick squirt of WD40 and some frobbing of the lever and all is well. I like easy fixes like that.

And then I went out and rode 80 miles and today my achilles' are only slightly tender so I'm happy with that.

• Options
    Does anyone here have experience with bar end shifters? Do I have to run the cables through the bars?

I can drill a hole but I'd rather not obviously.

I like to ART
  • Options
    Hmm, ive owned a bike that had them but I didn't put them on. I think you just run the cables under the bar tape, out near the stem, then down along the top/down tubes. I can't envision why drilling would be necessary.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Hmm, ive owned a bike that had them but I didn't put them on. I think you just run the cables under the bar tape, out near the stem, then down along the top/down tubes. I can't envision why drilling would be necessary.

The instructions I've found have the cables run through the shifter itself and into the tube, that's why I was confused.

Okay, I finally found a good video on it, I'm supposed to run the cables under the bar tape.

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
  • Options
    So I bought some new bike tools.

Firstly some 1/4" bits (I have plently in my big tool set but they only go up to 6mm and this set has an 8 and a ten):

vynzogrk8pf4.png

And a small ratchet driver for them - I expected something about the size of my smallest current driver:

v9jkegfwpftd.png

Which would have been fine, would fit in my saddlebag fine.

What I got was this wee darling:

0kl62fa82s8a.png

Inordinately pleased by it. Yeah it won't be up to massive torque but that's not generally needed out on the road.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I think i need new tires.
    ... But I hate changing bike tires, i always hurt myself, so i also think I'm gonna put it off for oh i dunno maybe a year

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    ... But I hate changing bike tires, i always hurt myself, so i also think I'm gonna put it off for oh i dunno maybe a year

Get some good levers. I find bike tire changes are infinitely better with good levers. I'm a big fan of pedros. Also, if you can, buy so you have 3 levers, as then when you put them back on you can just use two to pin down a section and the third to scoop it over. At least you don't have to deal with MTB tire sealant?

That said - if you're going into the city, mojo on divis is a fine place to grab a coffee or beer while shit gets done.

• Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular

I'm with you. I have weak puny hands after decades of spending my life on a computer and it hurts like a mofo when I have to get those damn tires on and off.

• Options
    schuss wrote: »

Get some good levers. I find bike tire changes are infinitely better with good levers. I'm a big fan of pedros. Also, if you can, buy so you have 3 levers, as then when you put them back on you can just use two to pin down a section and the third to scoop it over. At least you don't have to deal with MTB tire sealant?

That said - if you're going into the city, mojo on divis is a fine place to grab a coffee or beer while shit gets done.

I have so many levers! But that’s a good tip

• Options
    I've found if struggling to get a tyre on (because everytime you lever one section on a bit further along jumps off and you end up chasing it around and around the rim) a couple or three of either toe straps or releasable zip ties can help to encourage it to stay put.

• Options
    Commute home today:

Rain on and off all ride and a blustery wind.

But wasn't cold. The motor made it not a trudge. And I had waterproof jacket and trousers on. :thumbsup:

I did nearly lose the front end at a t junction though which didn't half get the heart going! Plus given the geometry of the situation I think I'd have failed to unclip if I had lost it completely and I'd have landed on hip and elbow/shoulder. So I'm glad I stayed upright. Felt like it slid about a foot and a half but I suspect it was a few inches at most.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Any suggestions on outside bike storage for a backyard? Fit two adult bikes plus one kids if possible.

Looking at hard-sided Rubbermaid type sheds, but hard to tell sizing. Seeing a bunch of what are basically tents which would work for me but selling that look might be a challenge. Thanks!

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    My kid's chain keeps calling off. Is this a sign it's about to break?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    My kid's chain keeps calling off. Is this a sign it's about to break?

More likely that the derailleur limiters need to be adjusted

You can check chain wear with a ruler if you wanted (google what the link spacing should be and what's generally considered replacement stretch, I don't remember off hand)

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Could also require some adjustment of the back wheel to add a bit more tension to the chain.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Ohhhh that's probably it. I was adjusting the training wheels and I bet I put the back wheel out of alignment.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    That could definitely do it. Or if it's not tightened enough the chain will pull it forward a little over time.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    A possibly over-dramatic warning sign:

lLvdgFm.jpg?1

(there was a hose sitting around that they were using for the water, but it was not a big enough hose to cause a problem unless you're on a skateboard or something)

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    It was still nice they put out the warning.

Or maybe they didn't want bikes ruining the hose.

• Options
    I have figured out how to use the metro to get to work but the best way to get too and from the office is along some abandoned train tracks.

Do you all have and good recommendations for a gravel/rail tie commuter? I don't want to break the bank and I'm only riding about 4 miles total.

I like to ART
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    get one of those see-saw manual rail thingies

• Options
    I have one of these bikes which has been great as a commuter / trails bike -- it's not as fast as something with drop bars or as bouncy as a dual suspension bike would be but it's fast enough to keep up on bike paths, and tough enough to take up/down mountain bike trails, just not off big drops or anything.

Not sure what "break the bank" means but there's a lot of bikes roughly like that that should work (assuming that when you say 'rail tie commuter' you don't mean literally riding over a bunch of rail ties?), so at this point it's a matter of going to local shops to find out which shop you like the feel of, all the main manufacturers have equivalent sorts of bike. (assuming that they're are actually available to buy again and the general out-of-stock-ness of last year has improved).

• Options
    I have one of these bikes which has been great as a commuter / trails bike -- it's not as fast as something with drop bars or as bouncy as a dual suspension bike would be but it's fast enough to keep up on bike paths, and tough enough to take up/down mountain bike trails, just not off big drops or anything.

Not sure what "break the bank" means but there's a lot of bikes roughly like that that should work (assuming that when you say 'rail tie commuter' you don't mean literally riding over a bunch of rail ties?), so at this point it's a matter of going to local shops to find out which shop you like the feel of, all the main manufacturers have equivalent sorts of bike. (assuming that they're are actually available to buy again and the general out-of-stock-ness of last year has improved).

I mean literally riding down the middle of a train track or on a trail in the gravel on the side.
    That's a good looking bike, I'll keep my eye out for one, but definitely more money than I was looking to spend atm. I'm also thinking I'll get a single speed because it's flat, maybe some kind of dirt jumper.

I like to ART
  • Options
    Oof, I feel like I'd only be comfortable doing that with a fat bike or a full suspension mountain bike. I tried my 650b gravel bike on a ranch road with a big mix of rock sizes and it was not up to the task comfort wise, and I imagine riding across railroad ties would get rough quickly, unless it's been filled in with dirt.

• Options
    Oof, I feel like I'd only be comfortable doing that with a fat bike or a full suspension mountain bike. I tried my 650b gravel bike on a ranch road with a big mix of rock sizes and it was not up to the task comfort wise, and I imagine riding across railroad ties would get rough quickly, unless it's been filled in with dirt.

they're filled with gravel inbetween

But good point, generally speaking a gravel bike should work.

I like to ART
  • Options
    Was out of state and borrowed a friend's bike to do a casual afternoon 40 (we stopped at a beer garden in the middle, A+, always the best way to ride). Anyway that thing was a BEAST, it was some kind of hybrid situation with pretty wide tires. Lots of road friction, so speed on the downhills seemed underwhelming, but it could take hills like nobody's business.

Been a long time since I didn't have dropped handlebars though. This whole wide high steering situation seems precarious I must say.

• Options
    This is pretty much exactly what I'm on the hunt for.

https://theradavist.com/a-rusty-ridge-supply-and-rodeo-labs-flaat-rod-singlespeed-gravel-bike/

I just don't want to spend $4,000 on it.

I like to ART
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Doodmann wrote: »
    This is pretty much exactly what I'm on the hunt for.

https://theradavist.com/a-rusty-ridge-supply-and-rodeo-labs-flaat-rod-singlespeed-gravel-bike/

I just don't want to spend $4,000 on it.

Yea that bike is cool. But unfortnately if you're on a budget and you're not building it up from (used) parts, you'll probably need to aim for something a little less cool like this:
    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/mountain-bikes/cross-country-mountain-bikes/820/820/p/17027/?colorCode=black

notya on
  • Options
    Yeah, I'll be hunting craigslist to hopefully find a gem.

I wish more people sold single speeds.

I like to ART
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Yeah, I'll be hunting craigslist to hopefully find a gem.

I wish more people sold single speeds.

You can always convert to single speed.

• Options
    Or just find a gear you like and never ever shift.