As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bicycle Thread Is Coming Your Way

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    notya wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Yeah, I'll be hunting craigslist to hopefully find a gem.

I wish more people sold single speeds.

You can always convert to single speed.

I more meant I wish there were more frames around like that Flaanimal frame with track style horizontal rear dropouts.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Or just find a gear you like and never ever shift.

YOU'LL PAY FOR 28 GEARS BUT ONLY USE THE 12TH!!!! SUNDAY RIDE! SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY!

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

that's what i do, crank to the top and hope my bones change shape

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Tires are actually the biggest thing for absorbing gravel stuff, so really any "endurance" or "cyclocross" bike will be fine with a bigger set of tires. Or if it's really nasty, a hardtail mountain bike with skinnier tires. Just make sure it's 700c/29" wheels as that's going to roll a lot smoother than 650b
    Also, there are a metric shit ton of bikes with track style dropouts, they're just usually smaller makers.
    Like this one: https://allcitycycles.com/bikes/archive/nature_boy_disc

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    It's not my common understanding that the reduced rollover bumping of the 700c will be smoother overall than the benefit of 650b with bigger tires at lower psi. But I suppose getting some 44 cm tires on a 700 or 50cm tires on a 650b would both be pretty high on tire suspension and may both be good options.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Tires are actually the biggest thing for absorbing gravel stuff, so really any "endurance" or "cyclocross" bike will be fine with a bigger set of tires. Or if it's really nasty, a hardtail mountain bike with skinnier tires. Just make sure it's 700c/29" wheels as that's going to roll a lot smoother than 650b
    Also, there are a metric shit ton of bikes with track style dropouts, they're just usually smaller makers.

Yeah, but then you need that super wide fork so you can fit those big tires in there. My road bike can barely fit anything that's not a thin roadie tire.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular

Yeah, but then you need that super wide fork so you can fit those big tires in there. My road bike can barely fit anything that's not a thin roadie tire.

I swapped my road bike's tires for 33s (the biggest they can fit) for Rapha's A Day in Hell earlier this year and there was basically the clearance of one wafer-thin mint only

It worked great for the ride

Then of course the tires were impossible to remove from my tubeless-ready wheels and I felt like a failure

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular

This is the way.

4th for me.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options

I swapped my road bike's tires for 33s (the biggest they can fit) for Rapha's A Day in Hell earlier this year and there was basically the clearance of one wafer-thin mint only

It worked great for the ride

Then of course the tires were impossible to remove from my tubeless-ready wheels and I felt like a failure

Getting tires off is 100% the worst. Even worse in MTB for tubeless when you have to deal with tubeless gunk and the extra stiff beads.

• Options
    Realistically no one needs more than 3 speeds, but I appreciate how many of you are fixie allies

I like to ART
  • Options
    i have a fixie but i'd rather have my 21 speed back; there's just not enough resistance on this thing.

• Options
    Realistically no one needs more than 3 speeds, but I appreciate how many of you are fixie allies

If you live somewhere flat - sure. For rolling mountain terrain, you 100% need a reasonable range of gears to not hate life.

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Anyone else watching le Tour de France? It's gotten buck wild the last couple days.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    I think I've found the one: *EDIT I WAS WRONG*

I kind of hate the color scheme but everything else it pretty perfect.

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Ended up missing out on the Stolen Brand, but I found a Kona Fire Mountain in great condition this weekend an pulled the trigger on that.

It was slightly more money and it's slightly more bike than I need, but it's also a great bike and makes me happy.

I like to ART
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    facetious wrote: »
    Anyone else watching le Tour de France? It's gotten buck wild the last couple days.

Ooh, me

I am enjoying Waterford native Sean Kelly having to pronounce "Vingegaard" on Eurosport's coverage

• Options
    is it legal yet to break the windows of cars parked in the bike lane?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Today we're on an East bay bike trail bubble tea and dumpling crawl, which means that every 20km we stop and buy either some bubble tea or some dumplings

Tbh it feels like this was only a good idea for the first 40km but let's see what the 60km mark brings, maybe I'll be hungry again by then.

• Options
    Update: not really but this place had excellent Har gau so id be a fool not to partake.

• Options
    Does anyone have recommendations for a hand pump and repair bag? I just had my first flat yesterday and it made the walk home from work suck.

I like to ART
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    After my first flat on my mountain bike I was fortunate enough to be passed by a good Samaritan with this kit and bought one myself:

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equipment/bike-accessories/bike-bags-panniers/bontrager-flat-pack/p/30760/

Don't forget to inspect the tread AND the inside of your tire for the cause of the flat. That flat claimed two tubes because the tiny shard of glass that caused it lodged too deeply into the tread for me to see it from the outside.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    I don't use it myself, but know a lot of people who love the OneUp EDC pumps - https://www.oneupcomponents.com/products/edc-pump
    Key features are to have both pump and CO2 so you're covered no matter what (pumping with a mini pump sucks real hard, so CO2 is great for a quick refill).

• Options
    does anyone else's hands go numb after awhile when you ride your bike? or are mine just getting ready to dry up, fall off and grow new mes

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Got me a new trash bike!

r4730xu9y06k.jpg

Best I can tell it's a 79 Trek 710. It rides well even though it's a bit small for me. I wanna get a replacement seat of the same style for it cause it's the most comfortable one I've ever had (despite just being hard leather). The brakes are squeaky, but I'm fairly certain that that's cause the rubber on them is half rotted.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    does anyone else's hands go numb after awhile when you ride your bike? or are mine just getting ready to dry up, fall off and grow new mes

They shouldn't. This means something's off on your positioning.
    Road or Mountain?
    It could be the bike is too small too, as if I recall correctly, this is usually due to the wrist dropping below the grip and maintaining a sharp angle, causing pressure on the carpal tunnel that eventually chokes out the old hand veins/nerves. It can also happen when you're too stretched out and barely reaching the grips.
    Cheapest option is to have someone take a picture of you on your bike then have an expert look for what needs to change (saddle height, stem length etc.). Next-cheapest option is try some Ergon grips.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

They shouldn't. This means something's off on your positioning.
    Road or Mountain?
    It could be the bike is too small too, as if I recall correctly, this is usually due to the wrist dropping below the grip and maintaining a sharp angle, causing pressure on the carpal tunnel that eventually chokes out the old hand veins/nerves. It can also happen when you're too stretched out and barely reaching the grips.
    Cheapest option is to have someone take a picture of you on your bike then have an expert look for what needs to change (saddle height, stem length etc.). Next-cheapest option is try some Ergon grips.

Road.

Huh, I'll look into that, I always thought it was just because i'm old.

Thank you!

• Options
    My hands have also been going numb. Thought I was too stretched out, so got a shorter stem. I don't think it really helped, but maybe a bit more comfortable.

I think a big part of it is that my job has me on a computer all day and I'm just starting to get carpal tunnel. Magic Pink, do your hands go numb at other times? For me, when I'm painting a wall, or doing anything where I have to grip something for a long time, they start to get the tingles.

• Options
    My hands have also been going numb. Thought I was too stretched out, so got a shorter stem. I don't think it really helped, but maybe a bit more comfortable.

I think a big part of it is that my job has me on a computer all day and I'm just starting to get carpal tunnel. Magic Pink, do your hands go numb at other times? For me, when I'm painting a wall, or doing anything where I have to grip something for a long time, they start to get the tingles.

Nope, just on the bike and only after a while. My commute is about 30 minutes and it tends to happen towards the end of that. Even if I let up and stretch my hand it stays for a while.

• Options
    It definitely sounds like your angles are off, or something is putting pressure on your nerves.
    If there's a bike co-op in your area you could go in and see if they'll give you some fit advice. And TBH even an actual bike store or REI will usually do that kind of thing for free.

• Options
    actually now that i think about it it happens on all 4 of my bikes so it's probably just a me thing.

• Options
    You could always try Ron's Orthopedic Bicycle Bar (for the aging cyclist it says haha)

https://crustbikes.com/products/rons-ortho-bar-for-whenever-it-shows-up

• Options
    i'm a cycling agist tho

• Options
    down with young people

*ding, ding*

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I had to get some cheap padded bike gloves from amazon, that helped me mostly get over some numbness but it isn't perfect. I've been meaning to try and see a co-op about correct fitting (or getting a different bike, this was a covid special from a few years ago so it isn't perfect size wise) but well, laziness.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    My hands frequently go numb when I ride my bicycle too, I should look for one of those handle bars.

• Options
    Oh yeah, also wear gloves. Also for the inevitable "surprise dismounts" where you catch the pavement with your hands.

• Options
    Oh yeah, also wear gloves. Also for the inevitable "surprise dismounts" where you catch the pavement with your hands.

it hasn't gotten away yet!

• Options
    You could always try Ron's Orthopedic Bicycle Bar (for the aging cyclist it says haha)

I would very much like to spend thousands of dollars on that site.

I like to ART
  • Options

I would very much like to spend thousands of dollars on that site.

Yeah they make some rad bikes and gear. I could see myself getting one of their bikes for my next one. Plus they seem like they've been building a fun biking community

https://youtu.be/Zbv4doxOstM

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    damn, garage got broken into last night and my bike of 15 years and over 40,000 kilometers got stolen.

Pretty bummed out

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1