Options

We didn't eat dogs back in the [Mad Max] thread

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I'm just gonna give this thread a wide berth. Stick to wrecking mooks in the wasteland. Peace.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Look how disappointed Max is in all of you

EC0E0FA6F82321168E598FE73F2AD5075142D5AE

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    You need work on your counter button timing, man! That face is pretty roughed up!

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Not as roughed up as this guy.

7574573AB8B66D76C6731B2E6BF068CB32A2B781

• Options
    You need work on your counter button timing, man! That face is pretty roughed up!

Sorry, what? Couldn't hear you. There was this loud boom and the airbag went off.

FtFz99f.png

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I just hope the mass effect 4 planet environments look even half this good

Sometimes it's like a fucking painting, hot damn

• Options
    I am in the middle of fighting a convoy in a lightning sandstorm at night. So there's like four seconds of playing, followed by ten minutes in photo mode.

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    So I took a break from Phantom to start this up this afternoon and see what's what.

In my first convoy I shot the big red gas tank on the truck that was in the lead, which then caused a giant spout of flame to shoot out behind it, blowing up 3 armored cars that were following it. That felt pretty good.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    How does this game look like so much fun and get such poor reviews? Not to echo the strip, but these people will normally try to sell me an 8-bit toaster sim as the most touching love story since A Clockwork Orange. Now they're going to talk me out of buying it while it's still 40% off at GreenManGaming and I'll never forgive them.

It would be an easy call if I hadn't bought like a zillion $5 and $10 games lately. Lots of good toaster sims right now.
    Anyone that is on the fence about this game just watch a stream or longer vids of it being played to get an idea of what it is like. There really isn't much story to spoil and the majority of the game is just roaming the open world. There are valid complaints about the game, especially if you don't like any kind of grind.

Pretty much. If you're not a fan of grindy collection games then this is definitely one to avoid because at its core that's all it is. The negative reviews do have completely valid points about this game feeling like a ton of busy work if you're someone who doesn't enjoy that sort of open world game. But, this is a PA forum game thread so instead of acknowledging differening opinions the SOP is to circle the wagons and declare "This is a great game and everyone who disagrees is wrong and bad reviews are bullshit."

Or, and I know that this is crazy, there are people here who can genuinely enjoy a game you dislike.

Actually I'm calling this thread out on doing exactly what you think I'm doing. Read the reactions to my posts and the negative reviews, reread my last post, and try again. Idgaf if y'all like it, but the thread's reaction to negative opinions about this game is kinda silly.

I only consider the context in which a post is given, because trying to read people's minds on how they read the metanarrative of a thread is futile at best. So, in the context of your quote tree there, yours was the only post that actually was disparaging towards people who had differing opinions.

In other news, holy shit that ending.

• Options
    Even Chum knows why we play this game.

1FED5BD3DD53B441794999DAF5C9B78019F638B1

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Haha ran into one of those awfully voiced wastelanders and she ends her dialogue with "surely this is your work?" And Chum bucket says "it is! But don't call him Shirley!"

Prohass on
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Max reminds me a bit of Roland Deschain from the Dark Tower books. He gets some ruthless moments in this game.
    Like the ending.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Went to attack one of Stank Gum's camps where to take over the camp you have to fight 12 guys.
    Sandstorm hit just as I entered the camp. killed all 12 guys for me. Thanks mother nature!!

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    Haha ran into one of those awfully voiced wastelanders and she ends her dialogue with "surely this is your work?" And Chum bucket says "it is! But don't call him Shirley!"

Oh my god I have to hear this line. Just imagining Chum's delivery is making me laugh.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I like that you can switch your Magnum chassis on the fly.

I've been using Ripper mostly, but occasionally swinging back to Death Rattle because it looks like what wasteland Batman would drive.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Die Rolla 4 Eva.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I ended up using Shovelface to finish it off.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Max reminds me a bit of Roland Deschain from the Dark Tower books. He gets some ruthless moments in this game.
    Like the ending.
    ending spoilers
    The ending is like a return of the Max you see in the first movie. Just the single-minded "I'm getting my revenge, don't get in my way".

The game set some awesome foreshadowing for me at the end. As soon as I left Friah's camp to get the Magnum Opus back, a thunderstorm whipped up and I ended up fighting the storm, and warboys, the entire way to Chum's boat.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    If I remember later I'm going to post some screenshots...

that said, thundersticks are the best weapon in the game.

Thundersticks are also probably the reason why Max doesn't carry a melee weapon around with him because why wouldn't you just carry thundersticks all the time?

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I also love how war parties can just spawn into races at random to just mess shit up.

Barrels too easy? Here's three buzzards to blaze down the track head on.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    What I hated about the races is what all racing games run into in that the computer cheats against you specifically the player. Like I was in fourth place trying to head up the pack and the third place guy just spins me out and keeps on me and thats complete horse shit. They don't even seemingly go after each other in the game which is even stupider they totally should.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    The barrel races are garbage. That's the one part of the game I hated.

• Options
    Yeah Barrel Races were awful, specifically because I had an uncanny knack to thread the fucking needle and miss barrels all the time.

The other ones while not exactly easy, were at least more fun and allowed for variety. Honestly if you can't make drivatars, then don't do a race portion, that's the gold standard for AI for me.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    They aren't my favorite thing in the game that's for sure.

But each one has a little quirk that helps once you get it down.

I've still had to bail out to restart multiple times a race, though.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    What I hated about the races is what all racing games run into in that the computer cheats against you specifically the player. Like I was in fourth place trying to head up the pack and the third place guy just spins me out and keeps on me and thats complete horse shit. They don't even seemingly go after each other in the game which is even stupider they totally should.

Yes but in this game you can murder the competion. Second place spin me out so he got a shotgun to the fuel tank. Than I take first but the so gets this funny idea to grind against me so I get it back just to do the same.

The other 3 so stayed clear of Max after that.

• Options
    Yeah I get that you can blow them up. But my problem is that to finish a race to get a griffa you have to basically be perfect and stopping to blow up dudes slows you down.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    If you're doing the death race for the achievements you need only complete the race. I don't think you even need to beat the legendary time, as I'm sure my achievement progress bar incremented for one race where I couldn't bail in time after losing the Griffa time by a half-second. had to eat the checkpoint for the ammo too. :T

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Yeah I get that you can blow them up. But my problem is that to finish a race to get a griffa you have to basically be perfect and stopping to blow up dudes slows you down.

I had no problem doing the one I did. Don't shot, drive and shoot!

• Options
    I do at least appreciate they give you way way more levels than you have places to do with them. Like I finished the game with max at road warrior level 89?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

I hate fighting with the camera. I don't care that the thunderpoon blew up the car next to me, I NEED TO SEE THE ROAD!

• Options
    I do have to say the majority of the history artifacts are incredibly depressing.

Also its funny like super late in the game there is a great intense area that had one fatal flaw...

They want you to be afraid you're in buzzard land, but buzzards didn't scare me at all. Like I'd had tougher fights against stank gums asshole rodeo.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Downer Max is a Downer (technically non-story spoilers):
    *looks at picture hopeful couple escaping to a bunker*

"...And then they they raided the bunker"

*he mutters with certainty*

or

*looks at picture talking about how someone misses the smell of bbqs*

"We still have the smells of bbq. You just won't like the meat."

-- of course one of my favorites is the thread topic.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Max's comments on history relics said a lot about him. Like the one where he said "never stop, never build." it explains so much about the character in so little.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    Deadfall wrote: »
    I also love how war parties can just spawn into races at random to just mess shit up.

Barrels too easy? Here's three buzzards to blaze down the track head on.

I had a storm start up during a barrel race. Lasted through a few restarts too.

XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
  • Options
    Today I realized I'm only in the middle of the third act, and should probably progress the plot a little more.

• Options
    Today I realized I'm only in the middle of the third act, and should probably progress the plot a little more.

I had completely done every boss and scavenging mission and cleared areas before I ever got the V8.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

I had completely done every boss and scavenging mission and cleared areas before I ever got the V8.

lol, yeah that's what I want to avoid doing. I have most of the threat levels down to 3 or less, and reached Road Warrior on Max today.

• Options
    I would totally recommend having the thunderpoon upgraded before doing the V8 quest. Also there is a quest from pinkie you'll also want to have done.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I would totally recommend having the thunderpoon upgraded before doing the V8 quest. Also there is a quest from pinkie you'll also want to have done.

It's level 3 already. I haven't went to get the tires yet though.

• Options
    Aside from the main story being basically non-existent/kinda naff my main issue with the game is it just didn't focus on car combat enough. The convoys are basically as epic as it gets, and that's kind of dissapointing coming from the same studio making Just Cause 3. I mean where were war rigs and the ability of max to jump out and clamber and fight in moving trucks and cars etc? No bikes also bummed me out

They could've had massive chases that lasted ages with checkpoints and have a co-pilot so that when you leap off, they drive and chum bucket fixes your ride in motion.

It's beautiful environment and solid mechanics kind of just rub in how it never quite reaches any depth or heights, not as much as it could have anyway