As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Why is the [MGSV The Phantom Pain] thread still here? Just to suffer?

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    There are several YouTube playlists out there dedicated to replicating the MGSV 80's experience ;P

Commercial compilations, though? You'd probably need to dig a bit deeper for that

I couldn't find them! only the licensed music and the regular orchestral epic soundtrack ones.

Also, I read an article on Destructoid about how many nukes have been disarmed since early november... There like a couple thousand nukes on each console platform, and SEVERAL dozen thousands on PC. Does that mean that the game sold more on PC? Or just that 90% of online FOB players were on PC?

Or it's comparatively easy to cheatengine a load of resources on PC to build nukes with.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Have to say with the online coming up for the PC, cheating will be rife if KONAMI are not on the ball.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Which basically means don't play it on PC. You'll be sorry.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Thinking of picking this up during the Black Friday sales.

What's the current state of the online game? Is it still better to keep your single-player game way the hell off online?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    it's almost impossible to do so now.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Greeeeeat. Guess I'll just wait for the online community to die off so I can play the damn game in peace.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I played online, and it's fine. Fund and material production are probably the only weird thing. It doesn't feel like they nerfed single player production more like it feels that online production feels way too jacked up. Stay online and you have far more materials and GMP than you know what to do with. Never once got invaded, but if the news is right and you can get invaded whether you're online or not... you might as well be online.

Honestly, it's fine. I feel like people pumped up the doom and gloom way too much on it.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Greeeeeat. Guess I'll just wait for the online community to die off so I can play the damn game in peace.

Over nearly 200 hrs. of play, and I've been invaded exactly once. The resources that are moved to the FOB at one point were only sellable with restock timers are now all sellable in their entirety at any time, so that entire source of complaints is basically gone. There are a handful of developments that require "online" resources, but all of them are either outrageously end-game or are only useful for FOB defense.

I was quite apprehensive of the online danger, but it's proven to be nothing worth worrying about.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Yeah I've been invaded exactly one time over 100+ hours of play on PC and my defence team killed the guy that attacked me while I was offline. The "free" FOB granted via the story also gives you a load of extra staff and resources so it's well worth it.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Oh sweet, they changed the selling thing. Okay.

Operation Kleptomania can recommence!

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    and I've been invaded like seven times and had some of my best fightboys that I could actually use in combat ops stolen. Soooo

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    You can mark them as private and they wont get stolen. There's options for protecting your best people.
    Anyone you want to actually use should automatically be a direct contract, since they also can't die in the field. They just get injured.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    You can mark them as private and they wont get stolen. There's options for protecting your best people.
    Anyone you want to actually use should automatically be a direct contract, since they also can't die in the field. They just get injured.
    This also means they cant be used for combat ops missions. I do direct contract my best people, of course I do. Then I'm fucked during combats ops because either I have to use all the trashmen, or my good but not perfect men get stolen by some nerd.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »
    This also means they cant be used for combat ops missions. I do direct contract my best people, of course I do. Then I'm fucked during combats ops because either I have to use all the trashmen, or my good but not perfect men get stolen by some nerd.

I didn't know that. But can't you take them off direct contract when you send them out? They can't get stolen if they're on deployment.

• Options

I didn't know that. But can't you take them off direct contract when you send them out? They can't get stolen if they're on deployment.

Direct Contract (DC) is really good for your staff who's only job is to sit around all day anyway (e.g. Base Dev, R&D, Intel, Medical, Support).
    I keep all of my best Combat Unit staff also on DC, and I only take them off it when a super-hard operation requires them. Using DC also is very good for FOB invasion with good staff, because it means that they can't be killed should the operation go FUBAR. DC does indeed prevent combat deployment of those staff, because combat deployment always has the possibility of staff death.

You cannot assign DC to a staff member who is currently deployed. But staff that is deployed cannot be stolen from you while they are deployed AFAIK.

Some of the Online Combat Deployments have absolutely insane staff reqs. Like, I'm not even sure how or where you're supposed to get that many S++ staff from.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    FOBS.
    You get S++ volunteers from successfully beating very hard Fobs without being detected. Or possibly just beating them, I'm not sure.
    They don't come from the defenders pool, they're soldiers who were like holy shit you beat a fob, you are the man. I wanna work for YOU.

The developer FOBS, the events, which don't have defenders, will also give you high rank soldiers the first time you beat them.

I would never send my S++ on anything other than S++ missions. They're just too valuable to risk. They can sit on direct contract when they're not out of the base for hours.
    S ranks are super easy to acquire later in the game, you can go and bag yourself a bakers dozen of them in fifteen minutes if you hit the right areas or do the right missions. They're disposable by end game.
    S+ can be made from S ranks sent on combat deployment and then doing field ops with them, to get medals. They're a little more hard to get, but honestly it isn't too hard to end up with basically all S if you keep on stealing mans. Then its just a matter of sending them on combat ops and you'll have a ton of S+ before you know it.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    If you are on PC I think there are some mods out there that tweak the resources/base restrictions.

• Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    HOLY SHIT YOU GUYS
    maxresdefault.jpg
    "The thirst for revenge I have planted will infest the system. No one can stop it now."

Twenty five years later:
    latest?cb=20110620211930

My mind has been blown.

• Options
    FOBS.
    You get S++ volunteers from successfully beating very hard Fobs without being detected. Or possibly just beating them, I'm not sure.
    They don't come from the defenders pool, they're soldiers who were like holy shit you beat a fob, you are the man. I wanna work for YOU.

Yeah, once a FOB is of sufficiently high level, you get the chance of getting S++ staff, but it still seems random and I'm unsure of the probability. I don't know what the level requirement is for when S++ starts becoming a possibility, or how/if the chance of getting S++ scales with the difficulty of the defense/invasion. Consider also that the weekly Event FOB will basically give you just two S++ volunteers after completion of the event. S++ guys take a lot of work to get!

Like that new super-pistol that takes several dozen thousand precious metal resource and like level 90+ R&D to research, and costs thousands of precious metals just to equip!
    Rex Dart wrote: »
    HOLY SHIT YOU GUYS
    maxresdefault.jpg
    "The thirst for revenge I have planted will infest the system. No one can stop it now."

Twenty five years later:
    latest?cb=20110620211930

My mind has been blown.

Such a lust for context!

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Metal Gear Solid development in a nutshell

Bless you and the dead look in your eyes Yoji Shinkawa :P

• Options
    That's from an interview about MGS2.... :P

• Options
    Uh huh. And it fits for the entire series.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Did anyone ever figure out what song plays during the game's ending?

Because that was one of my favorite songs and I couldn't find it on the OST

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Ending 1: Sins of the Father
    Ending 2: The Man Who Sold The World (David Bowie cover by Midge Ure)

The first one is the last track on the OST and the second one is the first, though, so I'm not sure how you're having difficulty finding it

ed: Unless the David Bowie song was a japanese-CD-only thing, and my importing bias has the better of me

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options

I think I misinterpreted the context. I thought it was being presented as new.

• Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    Ending 1: Sins of the Father
    Ending 2: The Man Who Sold The World (David Bowie cover by Midge Ure)

The first one is the last track on the OST and the second one is the first, though, so I'm not sure how you're having difficulty finding it

ed: Unless the David Bowie song was a japanese-CD-only thing, and my importing bias has the better of me

Think he means the score. So, the particular arrangement of the MGSV theme 'V Has Come To' of which there are many on the soundtrack, but not the one for the final scene.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    OH! Right, yeah there are a ton of tracks missing from the OST.

• Options
    The track that bothers me the most for being missing is the tune that plays when returning to Mother Base. The leitmotif in it shows up in a number of other songs in game, but no other song in the game strikes me as being the theme of Venom Snake as much as the one that plays when flying back to Mother Base in Pequod.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    l_g wrote: »
    The track that bothers me the most for being missing is the tune that plays when returning to Mother Base. The leitmotif in it shows up in a number of other songs in game, but no other song in the game strikes me as being the theme of Venom Snake as much as the one that plays when flying back to Mother Base in Pequod.

Every time that track played, all I could think about was how much it sounded like The Rains of Castamere.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options

I think I misinterpreted the context. I thought it was being presented as new.
    No, they're not saying it's new. They're just saying "Yeah. that still fits probably"

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Metal Gear Solid 5 won the Platinum Prize and the Users Choice Award at the Sony Playstation Awards in Japan. The head of Konami Public Relations accepted them in Hideo Kojima's stead.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Mission 45
    The game doesn't let you know what's comming

You can't quit out of the mission to re-prepare, only to the title screen (or quit the game)

and if you die too often the game AUTOMATICALLY equips the chicken hat for you

Aka "how to make your game as unenjoyable as possible for JUST one mission"

Oh and the checkpoints suck. With an RPG that is as upgraded as possible at that point It took upwards of 5 minutes per "wave" to take out the vehicles. For some reason I can one-shot every vehicle in free-roam but these take 6 or more hits to take out. Because standing around and reloading your RPG, shooting, ducking behind cover again and again and again is considered fun gameplay????

I need a break

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Mission 45

You can't quit out of the mission to re-prepare, only to the title screen (or quit the game)

Oh and the checkpoints suck. With an RPG that is as upgraded as possible at that point It took upwards of 5 minutes per "wave" to take out the vehicles. For some reason I can one-shot every vehicle in free-roam but these take 6 or more hits to take out. Because standing around and reloading your RPG, shooting, ducking behind cover again and again and again is considered fun gameplay????

I need a break

There's a crate in the mission.
    You can fulton extract yourself with it.

This is a detail I bet a fuckload of people wish they had known, and I didn't find out about until well after everyone had already finished with it.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Mission 45

I need a break

There's a crate in the mission.
    You can fulton extract yourself with it.

This is a detail I bet a fuckload of people wish they had known, and I didn't find out about until well after everyone had already finished with it.

I know this crate. I've used it before! But
    when opening the iDroid Ocelot says something along the lines of "you need to finish them off first" so I assumed the mission would fail if I just escaped like that. Besides, leaving any mission without completing the objective fails it automatically

steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Of course it will fail. You want to leave right now. You can start again later when you are prepared.

It also lets you take a break by doing something else.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Of course it will fail. You want to leave right now. You can start again later when you are prepared.

It also lets you take a break by doing something else.

Awesome. Just what I needed. Much obliged

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Mission 45

I died a lot goofing around in this mission, and that never happened for me. That's awful!
    Does the rocket launcher vehicle also take multiple rockets to blow up? That'd be super weird, since it didn't when I played the stage.

The advice for setting up mines isn't terrible advice if you set up shock mines, and I'm pretty sure the fully upgraded Stun Arm completely breaks all challenge with the stage. Flooding the place with smoke is another way to Fulton the vehicles after you let them pull all the way in.

• Options
    l_g wrote: »
    Mission 45

I died a lot goofing around in this mission, and that never happened for me. That's awful!
    Does the rocket launcher vehicle also take multiple rockets to blow up? That'd be super weird, since it didn't when I played the stage.

The advice for setting up mines isn't terrible advice if you set up shock mines, and I'm pretty sure the fully upgraded Stun Arm completely breaks all challenge with the stage. Flooding the place with smoke is another way to Fulton the vehicles after you let them pull all the way in.
    It does!

It should be noted that I'm using the Rockout Launcher you start out with after the cutscene, in which Quiet hands you one; So it might be a standard unupgraded one.

When I head back into the mission I'll definitely bring my best launcher and anti tank mines

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Finished the game
    Kinda disappointed. No matter if you choose the chapter 1 ending as the game's true ending or the actual ending it just feels pretty pointless. I pretty much figured the switch-a-roo from the beginning but... what was the point? Why did it matter if I was just the distraction? Why was it necessary?

On the positive side I like that it allows you to insert yourself into the Metal Gear series. And after the ending you can even choose to play as your custom character, with prosthesis!

But all in all it felt really disappointing. Aside from the above it has the exact flaws I predicted before the games release: A ton of technological breakthroughs that are conveniently forgotten between Metal Gear Solid 5 and Metal Gear 1. Wormhole technology? Parasite enhancement? Walker Gears? Upright walking Metal Gears? All gone and forgotten.

Also Psycho Mantis took a serious nerf before Metal Gear Solid 1.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Finished the game
    Kinda disappointed. No matter if you choose the chapter 1 ending as the game's true ending or the actual ending it just feels pretty pointless. I pretty much figured the switch-a-roo from the beginning but... what was the point? Why did it matter if I was just the distraction? Why was it necessary?

On the positive side I like that it allows you to insert yourself into the Metal Gear series. And after the ending you can even choose to play as your custom character, with prosthesis!

But all in all it felt really disappointing. Aside from the above it has the exact flaws I predicted before the games release: A ton of technological breakthroughs that are conveniently forgotten between Metal Gear Solid 5 and Metal Gear 1. Wormhole technology? Parasite enhancement? Walker Gears? Upright walking Metal Gears? All gone and forgotten.

Also Psycho Mantis took a serious nerf before Metal Gear Solid 1.
    Well... my point of view is that the switch-a-roo is to explain how big boss is the last boss in metal gear 1 and 2. Gives a decent explanation for "body double."

Also, mantis was only a kid. Its only natural he'd be a little more stronger by the time mgs1 rolls around.

Otherwise totally agreed with the story being slightly disappointing. Still my game of the year.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.