Options

Why is the [MGSV The Phantom Pain] thread still here? Just to suffer?

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Oh my god.

What am I going to have to go through to get Quiet's ending, anyway? I'm glad I didn't have to do the higher difficulty 'story' OPs, eff that. I unlocked the ending just by doing the side OPs.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    That extended speech is now canon

That was goddamned hilarious

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    That is pretty great.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    What the hell, I started up after taking like an hour brake and I'm suddenly 300K in the red? I was at like 80k before.

Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    What the hell, I started up after taking like an hour brake and I'm suddenly 300K in the red? I was at like 80k before.

It's just Konami graciously giving you an opportunity to see a touching cutscene that only happens when you're in debt. You should be grateful, really.

• Options
    PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    Deans wrote: »

It's just Konami graciously giving you an opportunity to see a touching cutscene that only happens when you're in debt. You should be grateful, really.

Dont get me wrong, I went and watched it cause I could, just mad that happend. Few side ops cleared up the issue entirely though so meh.

Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqs_9sXSsSk

I've been looking for this alert theme so much ever since I heard it at in the demo.
    Fucking sick

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I love MGSV's score so much. So much leitmotif! :D

Venom's sombre little couple of piano notes theme is so good.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    So I've beaten act 4 in MGS4
    holy fuck that was cool.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I guess I (nearly) completed MGSV. I was pretty much at the very end, just 45 and 46 left. I was wondering what I wanted to do with 45 since I know what happens. Either totally complete everything else, or just backup the save and push for the ending. But a few cutscenes and tapes later, and 46 just showed up. There's a small load off my shoulders.
    I don't know. I'm guessing I have absolutely nothing to say or add that wasn't said before. I didn't know or had it overtly spoiled, but at some point the thought was put into my head, so it was basically just a "yeah, you're right" moment.

Just... eh. I didn't hate it, but I'd be lying if I said I felt satisfied. I was simply confused and ambivalent while looking at those credits. Which I'm guessing is not the reaction that was wanted. And the more I think about it, and the ramifications on the entire MGS plot, the more confused I get.

I won't say it's a sour note to end the series on. But I sure as fuck can't say it's a high note either. :(

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    I do feel MGSV's narrative is unsatisfying as the grand finale. Like I was previously adamant that people play the games in release order, but now... I'd probably recommend swapping MGS4 and V. Play 4 last. Got that closure feeling that V does not.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I guess I (nearly) completed MGSV. I was pretty much at the very end, just 45 and 46 left. I was wondering what I wanted to do with 45 since I know what happens. Either totally complete everything else, or just backup the save and push for the ending. But a few cutscenes and tapes later, and 46 just showed up. There's a small load off my shoulders.
    I don't know. I'm guessing I have absolutely nothing to say or add that wasn't said before. I didn't know or had it overtly spoiled, but at some point the thought was put into my head, so it was basically just a "yeah, you're right" moment.

Just... eh. I didn't hate it, but I'd be lying if I said I felt satisfied. I was simply confused and ambivalent while looking at those credits. Which I'm guessing is not the reaction that was wanted. And the more I think about it, and the ramifications on the entire MGS plot, the more confused I get.

I won't say it's a sour note to end the series on. But I sure as fuck can't say it's a high note either. :(

standard answer: You got a LOT of tapes to listen.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Post Mission 46: I do appreciate that
    We have a reason for Miller turning away from Big Boss. They're portrayed as so close in Peace Walker, I didn't really see how he'd be so willing to help take Big Boss down in MG2.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

standard answer: You got a LOT of tapes to listen.

I've already listened to almost all of them, but I'm assuming you're talking about the final batch that unlock. Which I actually forgot about because it was late when I beat the game, so I'll get right on that. :)

That said, I'd be shocked if they somehow turned into the master key that unlocks and turns around everything. But I'll keep an open mind about it.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Even after the release of Peace Walker, I'd still recommend people play MGS4 last.
    In fact, the order I'd tell people to play the games in is MGS1/2/3/PW/5/4.

The primary motivation for the existence of Outer Heaven was already established at the end of PW, so in terms of the overall MG story there wasn't a whole lot that MGSV could add except
    actually providing an explanation for how MG1 and MG2 could actually both occur as part of the same continuity. That this was the ultimate new story point I thought really was kind of crazy even for Kojima, because I had thought MG1 had been completely written off in MGS1. However, in making the events of MG1 canonical, it doesn't answer how Big/Phantom Boss managed to return to the good graces of the Cipher/Patriot controlled USA and form FOXHOUND.

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    l_g wrote: »
    Even after the release of Peace Walker, I'd still recommend people play MGS4 last.

The primary motivation for the existence of Outer Heaven was already established at the end of PW, so in terms of the overall MG story there wasn't a whole lot that MGSV could add except
    actually providing an explanation for how MG1 and MG2 could actually both occur as part of the same continuity. That this was the ultimate new story point I thought really was kind of crazy even for Kojima, because I had thought MG1 had been completely written off in MGS1. However, in making the events of MG1 canonical, it doesn't answer how Big/Phantom Boss managed to return to the good graces of the Cipher/Patriot controlled USA and form FOXHOUND.
    Well, BB is still a legendary hero. Maybe he had enough sway to convince them. That and having a huge fricking army behind him.

And a dog with an eyepatch.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Well, BB is still a legendary hero. Maybe he had enough sway to convince them. That and having a huge fricking army behind him.

And a dog with an eyepatch.
    Maybe he said "I'll go deal with that giant robot rampaging around South Africa for you if you let me back in the club, and while totally not building another giant robot in South Africa right under your noses. And it totally isn't my PMC's fault that there's that giant robot rampaging around South Africa. It also totally isn't your botched cloning project of me that is rampaging around with that giant robot, either. Wow, this got awkward."

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I do feel MGSV's narrative is unsatisfying as the grand finale. Like I was previously adamant that people play the games in release order, but now... I'd probably recommend swapping MGS4 and V. Play 4 last. Got that closure feeling that V does not.

MGSV was always the missing link of Big Boss' story, however MGS4 was unequivocally the grand finale of the series.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I would never recommend someone play v before 4, because my god would it be hard to go back to 4's gameplay after v.
    More considerations than just story here.
    Why would you do that to a person.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
  • Options
    I'm not sure how I feel about 4. It had beats I enjoyed, and some gorgeous environments... but I can't say I had much fun playing it. I just wanted to see the story through. V, however, is a blast.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I would never recommend someone play v before 4, because my god would it be hard to go back to 4's gameplay after v.
    More considerations than just story here.
    Why would you do that to a person.

The more I think about it, the more I'm not sure where to put it. I certainly wouldn't recommend playing MGS3 or Peace Walker before MGS1, even though that's the way they are presented in the HD Collection.

MGSV is both the most optional and most essential Metal Gear game. Its ambitions in terms of how an operation could proceed are tremendous, and the technology the game is built on is incredible. If somebody had no care for MGS story and universe and wanted a game to goof around in, MGSV is the best game for them. The feeling of sneaking in MGSV is unparalleled. The documentary style camera approach to the cinematic direction is excellent and involving in a way that is significant advancement from the previous MGS games. Kojima and his team's desire to create great cinema as well as creating a narrative experience impossible in pure cinema is something you can really feel, no matter how well or how poorly he succeeds.

Story-wise, MGSV doesn't give us a transformative view of things, not at all the way MGS3 or even Peace Walker did. Big Boss' character and motivations for MG1 and MG2 are solidly established by the end of Peace Walker. His world-view doesn't really change until MGS4. We aren't left feeling or knowing different for the major players of MGS1/2/4, and MGS4 is definitively the conclusion of the generations-long struggle. Actually, we kind of are: Liquid is MORE of a bastard! The plot point in MGS1 of Liquid killing Master Miller now seems much more awful.

I would still certainly be fine with telling people to play PW before 4. Having been a fan of Metal Gear for literally decades, I eagerly play every new game in the series, and the only way I've been able to consume them is in their release order. If somebody who had no experience of MGS before and is used to the current standards in games asked me which MGS game to play first, they might honestly find MGS1 quite a frustrating experience. MGSV has the most approachable, intuitive controls in the series, as well as having controls that most resemble its contemporaries. MGSV comes across as the one that would delight a newcomer to play. But the events and story would be utterly baffling, and the emotional impact of many points would definitely be lost on them. In that sense, it might well be the best FIRST one for them to try out, since it would make them wonder about the story, which would be my segue into immediately pushing them into MGS1 before they are too accustomed to the delightful gameplay of MGSV.

In conclusion, I love MGS too much to easily make objective decisions about it.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Monger wrote: »
    Counterpoint:

4 doesn't have gameplay.

That's is factually wrong. It has the most gameplay of any Metal Gear game to that point. It has 80% of MGS1's map in one Act for goodness' sake. It is also the only Metal Gear game where back tracking is not used to pad game length. It also however, has the most cutscenes, which accounts for it feeling longer than it is.

• Options
    I'm just playing MGS4 after having it for 4 years, and I'm loving it. It's not as awesome in gameplay as V, sure, but it's extremely playable, and the story is amazing.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I'm not sure how I feel about 4. It had beats I enjoyed, and some gorgeous environments... but I can't say I had much fun playing it. I just wanted to see the story through. V, however, is a blast.

To me, MGS4's gameplay represented annoying bits of tedium between cutscenes...which I also found pretty forgettable.

MGS4 is easily my least favorite Metal Gear game. Including what I played of Portable Ops.

• Options

I never got the impression that MG1 wasn't canon. The future games didn't make it canon - it always was canon.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    It was always canon, but the more and more games that came out, the more they kinda changed things that happened, to the point where the broad strokes of MG1 are still canon. but the game itself is so innacurate that it barely is.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Apparently, as of the latest patch,
    replaying mission 11 seven times brings Quiet back

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    Whaaaaaat
    Figured maybe this was a glitch, like how she appears in the Brig after, but nope, this is a very intentional change, the mission title changes from [Replay] to [Reunion]

Guessing the 7 times (and Reunion) is in reference to bringing Aeris back? :P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    that's great news, just because I spent so much money on all that weapon development.

• Options
    heenato wrote: »
    It was always canon, but the more and more games that came out, the more they kinda changed things that happened, to the point where the broad strokes of MG1 are still canon. but the game itself is so innacurate that it barely is.

Sorry I was trying to type cannoli. My iPhone autocorrected it.

Everything is cannoli.

• Options
    Also, the new gear is cool and redonkolously expensive to develop.
    Also the Mosquito FOB is back
    Also is there any use to the lethal WU pistol?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    that's great news, just because I spent so much money on all that weapon development.

I thought it was kind of a neat and interesting gameplay/story development, but I'm glad that people who wanted a way got it!

I don't think there is. It's weird because it's a single shot pistol with none of the utility that single shot pistols in Metal Gear games have (non-lethal or high-power)
    And there are so many better lethal pistols to have. Just tried out the AM-114 9mm conversion (the armor-piercing one) and that's a godsend on time-bonus focused speedruns

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »

I thought it was kind of a neat and interesting gameplay/story development, but I'm glad that people who wanted a way got it!

I don't think there is. It's weird because it's a single shot pistol with none of the utility that single shot pistols in Metal Gear games have (non-lethal or high-power)
    And there are so many better lethal pistols to have. Just tried out the AM-114 9mm conversion (the armor-piercing one) and that's a godsend on time-bonus focused speedruns

It's for when you really, really want to humiliate somebody in a FOB raid.

• Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Apparently, as of the latest patch,
    replaying mission 11 seven times brings Quiet back
    There was some stuff already present in the scripting that hinted at this.
    The [Reunion] prefix was there, as was a flag to note whether the player was eligible to reunite with Quiet.
    This is absolutely not how I expected it to be implemented if it was going to be, though. I honestly have no idea what's going on with this game. This post-release support has just been bizarre, and only made more bizarre by the fact that it was clearly planned despite not really making any sense. I'm at a loss.
    Monger wrote: »
    Counterpoint:

4 doesn't have gameplay.

That's is factually wrong. It has the most gameplay of any Metal Gear game to that point. It has 80% of MGS1's map in one Act for goodness' sake. It is also the only Metal Gear game where back tracking is not used to pad game length. It also however, has the most cutscenes, which accounts for it feeling longer than it is.
    ...I see that our senses of humor died with Kojima Productions.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    To be fair, whenever you make a joke it still occasionally catches me by surprise and I'm a lot more familiar with your special characteristics. :P

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Still working through this in fits and starts, up to mission 38 or so, and I have to say...
    The hour or whatever of casette tapes I've had to listen to of mostly Code Talker droning on about these unbelievably dumb parasites is the worst exposition I've ever seen in a game.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    People droning on about really stupid stuff is at least 98% of the writing in the MGS series.

Anybody who is any sort of character in the MGS series had to have at least a triple PhD in drama, goofy philosophy, and goofy dramalosophy before anyone would even look at their resume.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    So what's in all these patches? I haven't even started the game yet, so I presume it's more money balancing stuff to encourage microtransactions?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Still working through this in fits and starts, up to mission 38 or so, and I have to say...
    The hour or whatever of casette tapes I've had to listen to of mostly Code Talker droning on about these unbelievably dumb parasites is the worst exposition I've ever seen in a game.

If you only listen to one, make it the one of him with Skull Face. Very chilling. Do the rest during missions. The science is fascinating, but dull.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png