As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rap 2K18: Home Depot And A Caesar Salad

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    His vocal tics are annoying to me, it's like the worst Kendrick songs but all the time. The first song of his I heard was Juice and it made me want to jump in a lake.

Also the relentlessly positive thing was cooler when Lil' B did it. The Arthur thing made my eyes roll out of my head.

I will give him this, at least he likes the right Chicago baseball team.

Mostly the issue is that I find his voice extremely grating.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
  • Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    The Nujabes tribute was amazing.
    Shing02 killed it, I cried during this song:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyoYf7rZVGI

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    I sucked it up and did my tidal trial to listen to life of Pablo

I actually liked it a lot more than I thought I was going to, based on reactions. but--and this is something that sort of began with yeezus, but is cemented here--I like these songs as like, tone poems. they're interesting to listen to, and I think it's absolutely good music, but kanye as a rapper is here only in the sense that the timbre and cadence of his rapping is fitting at times; it's the right instrument. lyrically, this album is trash. when it's not aggressively, lazily off-putting, it's boring rap boilerplate. that does fit in with the very sketchy, half-formed nature of a lot of these songs, where they sound tossed-off but are interestingly produced and constructed, but that doesn't make the lyrics good

anyhow the takeaway for me is that I like kanye the musician here, not the rapper. kanye has not impressed me as a rapper in years. the album is an interesting amalgam of 808s kanye and yeezus, without feeling staid, though, I think it does some cool stuff. lil bits like the "old kanye" spoken word bit do make me think "this sounds like a less abrasive derivative of something kendrick lamar might've done," however unfair a statement that might be

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Frank had a listening party for his album last night ALLEGEDLY. Get Hyped

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    CcfgRmpUEAAsE7R.jpg:large

Dang, that's a lineup

• Options
    http://urbanleakz.ws/frank-ocean-untitled-snippet/

This is how desperate I have become. Sounds cool tho

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I sucked it up and did my tidal trial to listen to life of Pablo

I actually liked it a lot more than I thought I was going to, based on reactions. but--and this is something that sort of began with yeezus, but is cemented here--I like these songs as like, tone poems. they're interesting to listen to, and I think it's absolutely good music, but kanye as a rapper is here only in the sense that the timbre and cadence of his rapping is fitting at times; it's the right instrument. lyrically, this album is trash. when it's not aggressively, lazily off-putting, it's boring rap boilerplate. that does fit in with the very sketchy, half-formed nature of a lot of these songs, where they sound tossed-off but are interestingly produced and constructed, but that doesn't make the lyrics good

anyhow the takeaway for me is that I like kanye the musician here, not the rapper. kanye has not impressed me as a rapper in years. the album is an interesting amalgam of 808s kanye and yeezus, without feeling staid, though, I think it does some cool stuff. lil bits like the "old kanye" spoken word bit do make me think "this sounds like a less abrasive derivative of something kendrick lamar might've done," however unfair a statement that might be

I agree with this mostly

I've listened like 10 times

The music and songs are catchy and entertaining

(Lyrically not so great)

But overall I enjoyed

poo
  • Options
    Kendricks got a B side album out tomorrow apparently. Some stuff from the vault? I'm guessing like the freestyles he's been doing in TV performances.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    i like dis

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    oh sick we finally get the colbert show ending song, #3

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    new kendrick is rad

poo
  • Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    Hell yeah! I am completely enthralled by untitled unmastered

Parts of it keep reminding me of one of my favourite tracks, namely this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwjwKPXy4sg

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    I'm really glad we got new Kendrick. I dig it a bunch.

• Options
    The modern world ain't all roses, but surprise album releases are pretty friggin' great

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    i think about 4 songs on TLOP are as good as anything yeezys ever done

but man Freestyle 4 is embarassing

I also find it kinda funny that Kanye is the first big rapper to openly embrace rich dadguy ennui

it's pretty hilarious but not that compelling to mix megalomania with middle aged male insecurity

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    i think this new release seals that i don't think kendrick is for me

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Kendrick is my favorite rapper

this album is clutch

• Options
    He's no lil' b

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Thought Wayne was pretty decent on Collegrove, enough to get me mildly interested in Carter V when it drops in 2060.

But Zaytoven bit his own piano riff from Peacoat with the beat on MFN Right and he thought I wouldn't notice but I did

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I just don't like the way his beats are going

I didn't like how flylo went full avant garde Jazz, and all the Kendrick I keep hearing just reminds me of "you're dead!"

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    looks like frank ocean might drop today

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    looks like frank ocean might drop today

I need this in my life.

• Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    Yes please

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    I love You're Dead, it's probably FlyLo's best record.

But Kendrick's stuff just doesn't do it for me.

• Options
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    I love You're Dead, it's probably FlyLo's best record.

But Kendrick's stuff just doesn't do it for me.

it has some real highlights but theres too much doodling for me. i think cosmogramma might be my favorite but i cycle between it and los angeles and sometimes until the quiet comes. his catalog really is superb

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    20 years next year.

That's insane.

• Options
    P.O.S. has a new (9-minute!) song out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNN6Je7XN9U

He also wrote a pretty affecting essay about the song, where it came from, what it means to him. Struck a few notes with me, it did:
    http://www.doomtree.net/2016/03/mondays-with-p-o-s/

• Options
    Just found out Denzel Curry and Allan Kingdom have a show here in a couple weeks and bought a ticket, pretty excited

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Just found out Denzel Curry and Allan Kingdom have a show here in a couple weeks and bought a ticket, pretty excited

Allan Kingdom makes a (brief) appearance on that P.O.S. track up there - I hadn't heard of him before, but I dug him enough that I'll have to check him out. Any recommended entry points?

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I think I had somehow forgotten how good P.O.S. is

Goddamn that song is great