Options

[Super Mario Maker] Create your own Mario levels and share them with everyone!

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Oh, I think I get how that freeze glitch works...

If you only put stuff in the lower screen area in your level, the camera never pans upward very far. The game recognizes that you've made a vertically short level and there's nothing interesting up there. Good hint to the player too, visually.

If you've made a one-screen-height level and you're in a normal course type like the overworld, underground, airship etc., I believe players can go as high as they want regardless of what the camera does. You can fly up there and it'll just take a while before you come down, the camera doesn't follow you.

Underwater is a special case, though. Since there's no need for flight and you can already swim anywhere, they actually put a ceiling on it if you don't use the upper half of the level. If they didn't, players could simply swim above the screen over everything in the whole level, and creators would have to remember to put their own ceiling in so as not to trivialize their level.

But put a pipe with the exit facing off the top of the screen, and now the player is coming out above the ceiling, and the game doesn't know what to do. The pipe doesn't cross that screen boundary so the level is still technically a one-screen-height level, but the player is being ejected too high.

I'm not sure how best to patch something like that. If they raise the underwater ceiling on one-screen-height levels, then players can swim over all the obstacles. They could write special cases for pipes...maybe if a pipe ejects a player into the second screen, it becomes a two-screen-height level.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I was enjoying the shit outta Sporky levels online, so I figured I might as well pop into the PA to see if it was the ol Spork I knew and loved. I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN.

mad macs fury road, were mole, blew my mind. How did you make blocks that were able to be landed on, but invisible in blocksploitaion sir??

EDIT: also I made a Captain Toad Treasure Tracker level where the object is to collect 10 hidden coins if anybody wants to try.

0046 0000 006E 8D73

I think my newest 3 levels are prob my best 3...

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    After not having time to play for a few days I sat down for a Normal 100 Mario Challenge...some of those levels felt like Expert level to me, and I had to skip them. Even after just like a week I'm rusty!

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Someone took the time to recreate (as close as possible) the old eReader levels in the SMB3 GBA game.

E-1 Wild Ride in the Sky: 2B4B 0000 007B 5343
    E-3 Bomb Volley: FE1E 0000 007B 53BC
    E-4 Pipes O'Plenty: F5F3 0000 007B 546E
    E-5 Bombarded by Bob-Ombs: 1209 0000 007B 559D
    E-6 Magical Note Blocks: 4388 0000 007B 5682
    E-7 The Ol' Switcheroo: 8F1F 0000 007B C071
    E-8 Piped Full of Piranhas: 6078 0000 007B E3D8
    E-9 Swinging Bars of Doom: 7742 0000 007D F093
    E-10 Para Beetle Challenge: 656C 0000 007E 1CC9
    E-11 Magical Note Blocks 2: B3DB 0000 0080 4E1C
    E-12 Airship 1: 660E 0000 0081 0A27
    E-13 Chill Cavern: A8C9 0000 0081 33FA
    E-16 Castle a Go-Go: BC9E 0000 0082 FFF5
    E-17 Frappe Snowland: 3245 0000 0083 25D7
    E-18 Frozen Fortress: A403 0000 0084 0A35
    E-19 Brick Maze: 2967 0000 0085 E914
    E-21 60 Seconds: 3A6B 0000 0087 5003
    E-22 Ropeland: 81A6 0000 0087 E28E
    E-24 Clear Skies: B111 0000 0084 2101
    E-25 Koopahari Cavern: 637A 0000 008A CB63
    E-26 Aqua Bars of Doom: 3305 0000 008B 706A
    E-27 The Gauntlet: EF71 0000 008C BC39
    E-28 Hammer Bro. Ship: 240D 0000 008E C639
    E-29 Bowser's Airship - Part 1: 1E56 0000 008F 0485
    E-30 Bowser's Airship - Part 2: FFD8 0000 008F 9487

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I just made a fun little level showing off some weird stuff you can do with the glitch above. It doesn't just apply to invisible blocks...

Blocksploitation

5999-0000-0093-0AAF

Can't really show anything too remarkable in a screenshot, other than this is the first screen:

tumblr_nvtx82J0mN1svx1aeo1_500.jpg

So this one is odd. I played it with Course World then I downloaded it because I wanted to see how that worked. When I play it with the Edit button, the game acts totally different from the way it plays in Course World
    The second area where you hit the P Switch turns only one coin/hard block into something passable while the rest become coins that aren't in the downloaded version while the CW version gave me a path complete with Hidden ? Blocks among the hard blocks.

The Glitch seems too inconsistent to be something I'd use in a level.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    I was enjoying the shit outta Sporky levels online, so I figured I might as well pop into the PA to see if it was the ol Spork I knew and loved. I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN.

mad macs fury road, were mole, blew my mind. How did you make blocks that were able to be landed on, but invisible in blocksploitaion sir??

EDIT: also I made a Captain Toad Treasure Tracker level where the object is to collect 10 hidden coins if anybody wants to try.

0046 0000 006E 8D73

I think my newest 3 levels are prob my best 3...

I saw your drawing on at least one of my levels! Your trademark dude. Immediately recognized him. :)

Glad you liked my levels. I will try some of yours when I get a chance.

The latest level was using a glitch that Gamexplain posted about yesterday. Just a fun exploration of some of the weird stuff you can do with it.

Someone at NeoGAF made a recording of my level, which I'm grateful for, because it'll be nice to have a permanent record of what the glitch did after they patch it out. :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwcz-V3D6co
    So this one is odd. I played it with Course World then I downloaded it because I wanted to see how that worked. When I play it with the Edit button, the game acts totally different from the way it plays in Course World
    The second area where you hit the P Switch turns only one coin/hard block into something passable while the rest become coins that aren't in the downloaded version while the CW version gave me a path complete with Hidden ? Blocks among the hard blocks.

The Glitch seems too inconsistent to be something I'd use in a level.

It's only inconsistent within the level editor. As a final level, the blocks behave the same way every time.

The editor doesn't know what to do when two blocks occupy the same space so as you scroll around, so it can alternate which block it considers the "front" block. Besides messing up from scrolling around, generally the "front" and "back" block switch places when you copy and paste one of those glitch double blocks, which changes the behavior as you noted.

Takes a lot of playtesting to make sure it behaves the way you need it to. For example if you go through a pipe when a P-switch is active, that can mess up the whole solid block coin thing. This is why I blocked every pipe with blocks until the P-switch runs out. :)

So yeah, it's inconsistent. However if you can play through the level and it all looks and behaves the way you want it to, it's good for upload. I'm not recommending that a lot of levels be made using it, though, I just wanted to show some of the cool things you can do.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Oh, I think I get how that freeze glitch works...

If you only put stuff in the lower screen area in your level, the camera never pans upward very far. The game recognizes that you've made a vertically short level and there's nothing interesting up there. Good hint to the player too, visually.

If you've made a one-screen-height level and you're in a normal course type like the overworld, underground, airship etc., I believe players can go as high as they want regardless of what the camera does. You can fly up there and it'll just take a while before you come down, the camera doesn't follow you.

Underwater is a special case, though. Since there's no need for flight and you can already swim anywhere, they actually put a ceiling on it if you don't use the upper half of the level. If they didn't, players could simply swim above the screen over everything in the whole level, and creators would have to remember to put their own ceiling in so as not to trivialize their level.

But put a pipe with the exit facing off the top of the screen, and now the player is coming out above the ceiling, and the game doesn't know what to do. The pipe doesn't cross that screen boundary so the level is still technically a one-screen-height level, but the player is being ejected too high.

I'm not sure how best to patch something like that. If they raise the underwater ceiling on one-screen-height levels, then players can swim over all the obstacles. They could write special cases for pipes...maybe if a pipe ejects a player into the second screen, it becomes a two-screen-height level.

Simple solution is to make some area above a pipe considered a warp have invisible event tiles that do not effect the player in any way, but by the game are considered 'on' as far as blocks are concerned and thus level above this barrier. I know that has to be possible, as all the different attributes of a block should be toggleable and you can turn all of them off except for 'is a block'.

BTW how do you do that multiple blocks on one space glitch? Gameexplain did not know how in the vid. I guess I never bothered to google it but I was wondering how you figured it out yourself.

Edit: Just watched your vid on it. That stuff is was too good and useful to get rid of. It will be sad if they have to fix this as it really opens up some options if used right.

Kai_San on
  • Options
    I didn't figure it out, they said how to do it in an updated video shortly after your post, I linked it above.

Place a block, place a single section of track somewhere else, place another block on the track, move the track+block on top of the other block (not multi-select, just dragging the track segment will take the block with it), then choose the track tool again and drag one end back to the first, which gets rid of the track but not the second block. Now you have two blocks sharing properties in strange ways!

It works because dragging track back over itself is a special case of deleting track that doesn't take the stuff on the track with it. And the game inherently supports the concept of blocks being on top of each other, in the case of tracks.

• Options
    Aaaand someone made the entire SMB 1-1 but completely invisible. I mean, that is kind of cool, but fuck all that would suck coming up in a random expert play.

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Wow, that glitch is messed up.

Fortunately it seems that it shouldn't be too hard for Nintendo to detect levels that use it and take them down once its fixed.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    gjaustin wrote: »
    Wow, that glitch is messed up.

Fortunately it seems that it shouldn't be too hard for Nintendo to detect levels that use it and take them down once its fixed.

I found a problem in your post. :P

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    Here is a dumb question. How do you view the levels in Google Docs without submitting one? I submitted mine and saw 3 other levels, but now when I click on the link it wants me to submit something again.

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Click the second link right below the first one that says "View" (in the OP).

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    The Sauce wrote: »
    Click the second link right below the first one that says "View" (in the OP).

Thanks. I had bookmarked page 14 like an idiot.

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    Saw this elsewhere, I laughed.

EmIeMx4.png

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Needs more firebars.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Do firebars become invisible with the glitch?

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Firebars can ride tracks?

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Firebars can ride tracks?

Yes indeed. I actually put various machinations of death riding on tracks to the test in a recent level.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    agoaj wrote: »
    Do firebars become invisible with the glitch?

I couldn't get them to do anything. The glitch primarily applies to solid blocks, and I think firebars are considered enemies. You can already put firebars over the top of ground without needing the glitch.

I was able to embed coins in the ground but that's not amazing or anything, you just collect them as you touch the surface. You can embed question blocks in the ground or hard blocks, so an innocent-looking section of ground overhead could conceal powerups...but that's not particularly great either, nobody would even know to try. You can put donut blocks inside ground, all that does is make them visible and fall when you walk over them.

I didn't play with ice blocks, I assume you can make ice that isn't slippery and regular ground that is slippery.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Like New Courses!

I just can't stop going back and tweaking these babies. I think I'm done now. Please give them a try!

WVW69idc6NgMfEtSjv
    King Koopa Keep is back. Tweaked the boss battle to eliminate instances where attacks become unavoidable. Added a fire flower and hid a spike helmet to make the course more forgiving.

WVW69idc6rk9Y9Igrg
    Slip Slide Ride is now a Fortress stage. Apparently I like fortress stages. I just felt it worked better thematically, and the background music isn't nearly as repetitive. I made a TON of track changes, smoothing out hard course changes and chopping down areas that seemed to go on for too long.

WVW69idc7DoKOZOepK
    MARIO SMASH! is a brand new course. I was really just messing around with the mega mushroom powerup, here. Catch the flying stars and smash your way through to the end.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Here's what I'm submitting to SMMC this week:

What Lies Beneath the Bottom? (of the ocean)
    96E5-0000-0094-A2E8

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Just finished my first themed course, it's made me laugh a few times, so I think you guys will like it!

CRUSHED ASPIRATIONS.

FFCD-0000-0094-C8B8

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Nintendo should make those kind of blocks normal since that is pretty awesome.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    Size Matters has been getting a lot of love lately. It got me to 50 stars now.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    SMMC - Sea Wizard Cove:

14A5-0000-0095-1F78

Chaos reigns under the sea. The difficulty will change each time you play. Do the magikoopas make life hard for you, or are they mostly harmless? Does the squid rider chase you relentlessly, or does he smash into a block and fall off his mount immediately?

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    @Kupi is better at Mario than me because she managed to get a mushroom in my level, which I tried several times to. Nicely done!

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »

96E5-0000-0094-A2E8
    SMMC - Sea Wizard Cove:

14A5-0000-0095-1F78

Chaos reigns under the sea. The difficulty will change each time you play. Do the magikoopas make life hard for you, or are they mostly harmless? Does the squid rider chase you relentlessly, or does he smash into a block and fall off his mount immediately?

Did you submit these with Dover's Google Form? (this goes for everyone else too)

I don't want to miss any of the submissions.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I've uploaded the second in my series of newbie instructional levels.

SMB Training 2: Jumping

12A4-0000-0095-438E

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    I'm close to 150 stars now. When do you get the next medal and the next set of uploads? 200 stars?

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Puzzlin'with Plants: 867C-0000-0095-91F8
    This level has you checking out different realms of existence.
    Use one realm to spot the secret way out in the other realm.
    Each puzzle is followed by an action sequence and the level has two different plant-themed bosses!
    Good luck figuring out how to beat that last one!

Talking about bosses: if you only want to fight the bullet bill boss instead of going through his entire castle, I've made a new level where that can do just that!

Bullet Bill Castle (boss only): 992A-0000-0094-6FAC

Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Maz- wrote: »
    I'm close to 150 stars now. When do you get the next medal and the next set of uploads? 200 stars?

50 then 150 then 300 then 500 then 800 then 1300. I'm not sure the exact numbers after that.

pirateluigi on
    http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Options
    Woo hoo! I finally made it to 50 stars thanks to a little Canadian boy and a Japanese girl. It really took an international effort to allow me to make additional stages. :?

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    Kupi wrote: »

96E5-0000-0094-A2E8
    SMMC - Sea Wizard Cove:

14A5-0000-0095-1F78

Did you submit these with Dover's Google Form? (this goes for everyone else too)

I don't want to miss any of the submissions.

I don't see a link in the OP. Is it the same as the normal submission form for the google doc?

• Options
    edited October 2015
    MNC Dover wrote: »

I used this link. I also put my level in the OP link.

Dirk2112 on
    NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    Thanks!

My entry for SMMC: Sphere: BA90-0000-0095-0A18

And another level for people tired of automatic levels! Are You Not Entertained?: 08CA-0000-008C-DEB7

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Okay, @UncleSporky you must swear that you will only use your powers for good or for awesome.

CQzNBdnUsAAMPm6.jpg

• Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Okay, @UncleSporky you must swear that you will only use your powers for good or for awesome.

CQzNBdnUsAAMPm6.jpg

My favorite part of that image is you can just barely make out my profile on the top of it. :D

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Oh my god pirate you are Missy? I had no idea. I saw your name come up on my levels and didn't know it was you.

In other news, the people in charge of SMM at Nintendo NEED to see this
    vQhnCB3.png

IMO this is above all the other things (yes even checkpoints) of needed additions, and looks to be like it would take almost the least effort. I am sure it is possible to just add a water object property to a semi solid and then you are pretty much done.

In addition someone even mentioned allowing to shake it and get lava and maybe even quicksand?

Kai_San on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Oh my god pirate you are Missy? I had no idea. I saw your name come up on my levels and didn't know it was you.

In other news, the people in charge of SMM at Nintendo NEED to see this
    vQhnCB3.png

IMO this is above all the other things (yes even checkpoints) of needed additions, and looks to be like it would take almost the least effort. I am sure it is possible to just add a water object property to a semi solid and then you are pretty much done.

In addition someone even mentioned allowing to shake it and get lava and maybe even quicksand?

Honestly I'm disappointed this is not a thing already. And yes, shake for lava. Simple.

Edit: Not above checkpoints tho. Checkpoints are the #1 needed thing.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282