Options

House Speaker John Boehner Is Resigning. Paul Ryan Elected.

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    jmcdonald wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    The other GOP members who have to vote Yay on things to pass them (I think with democrats its around 30 or 40?) have not probably tendered their resignation.

Boehner can not pass shit in the house on his vote alone and democrats can't do it by themselves either.

and yet somehow we still got the debt ceiling, and a budget.

much as the left likes to portray the right as a huge monolith, it actually isn't.

there are plenty of R's in the southwest who favor immigration reform. there are plenty of corporate shills who don't want an economic meltdown. there are plenty of R's who want defense spending to increase, and who would likely negotiate to get there.

they aren't the same reps obvs. but they don't have to be.

Really? Who are these reps? What have their votes been on bills for immigration and wall street and defense spending?

http://blogs.rollcall.com/218/where-do-house-republicans-stand-on-immigration-principles-whip-count/

http://blogs.rollcall.com/218/breaking-down-the-debt-ceiling-vote/

http://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2015/10/01/house-to-vote-on-defense-bill-that-obama-threatens-to-veto

seriously.

So the first link is a vote on principal. Not a bill.

Yes they passed the debt limit ceiling. After taking us to the absolute brink and lowering our credit.

And wow the republicans voted to increase our defense budget? What a huge shock!

You're the one who asked the question, doubting my statement.

So now that I've shown you the facts they were self-evident?

You haven't shown me any facts at all! One of them wasn't even about a bill, the other one happened after they lowered the country's credit rating for the first time ever, and the last one of course they raised the defense budget! Anytime the democrats say we need to lower the defense budget, they scream and wail about how they're unpatriotic and want the terrorists to win!

So no, you haven't shown anything at all.

my statement, extracted from this very quote tree:

there are plenty of R's in the southwest who favor immigration reform. there are plenty of corporate shills who don't want an economic meltdown. there are plenty of R's who want defense spending to increase, and who would likely negotiate to get there.

your response, from the same quote tree:

Really? Who are these reps? What have their votes been on bills for immigration and wall street and defense spending?

explain to me how a list of republicans who support immigration reform, who pass the debt ceiling, and who vote to increase defense spending, fail to meet this criteria? granted, the first never came to pass, because of the hastert rule. the very rule i'm saying that the teapers have likely invalidated with this shenanigans.

so, i'll give you .5 out of a possible 3 points.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    You keep bringing up republicans wanting to increase defense spending like they're some mythical unicorn and not every one of them.

And a principal vote is not a bill vote.

And yes they voted to increase the debt ceiling. After taking us to the brink. And lowering our credit for the first time in history. This is not a thing to be lauded and I will not give them any kind of credit for it.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    When will the GOP admit to itself that isn't one single party anymore? It is a big tent with a treehouse inside that says "No Boehners Allowed." The people inside that treehouse just like to throw crap at the people still inside the tent but not in the treehouse.

Until the tent decides to pack up and move on, the entire place is going to smell like crap.

3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • Options
    The other GOP members who have to vote Yay on things to pass them (I think with democrats its around 30 or 40?) have not probably tendered their resignation.

Boehner can not pass shit in the house on his vote alone and democrats can't do it by themselves either.

and yet somehow we still got the debt ceiling, and a budget.

much as the left likes to portray the right as a huge monolith, it actually isn't.

they aren't the same reps obvs. but they don't have to be.

You keep bringing up republicans wanting to increase defense spending like they're some mythical unicorn and not every one of them.

And a principal vote is not a bill vote.

And yes they voted to increase the debt ceiling. After taking us to the brink. And lowering our credit for the first time in history. This is not a thing to be lauded and I will not give them any kind of credit for it.

do...do you not see the disconnect between these posts?

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    I see the problem here. Syphon initially missed the "want defense spending to increase" part, and read it as "to decrease", since the former is party orthodoxy, and that confusion torpedoed the whole argument. The immigration reform thing really doesn't count, because no meaningful vote took place. As for the debt ceiling vote, twenty-eight Republicans voted for that. One hundred and ninety-nine voted against. In my books, that ratio really doesn't count as 'plenty'.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Apologies if this has been posted, but this Onion piece seems pretty relevant right now.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    I saw speculation that Boehner announced his resignation as Speaker betting that the 'Freedom Caucus' would make it impossible to select his replacement, and until a few minutes ago that seemed fairly plausible. Then I realized that this hypothetical plan requires Boehner to be a skilled politician, and to be able to count votes.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    I have no faith whatsover in this congress getting functional just because Boehner is free from consequence.

And I don't know if Boehner was going to, but his party certainly almost fucking did.

There are four separate occasions where we went past the "11th Hour" and had to fix things retroactively because Boehner couldn't deliver votes on must pass legislation.

You cannot retroactively fix the debt limit.

These are interesting times.

There is something to be said for my current favorite strategy when the time inevitably comes: just borrow more money anyway.

Still probably be a ton of instability until SCOTUS ruled on it, but better than totally imploding the world.

It's what eventually will happen if the course stays the same.

The Executive will gain more control of the budgeting process, because Congress cannot be trusted with the responsibility. SCOTUS will be faced with the choice of - chip away congressional power that they're abusing or - tank the US and possibly World Economy.

I would hope that 5 of them are smart enough to see reason when the time comes, because it's all that will save us.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    So my roommate shared this with me

11148220_740495049412901_3618482697969869043_n.png?oh=a050bb9c8a99ddaa709c917eadd7cd8a&oe=569CFF01

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    The points made in this article have been made before, but I was surprised to see that it's now recognized enough that the (left-leaning but definitely) mainstream Washington Post is publishing it

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/republicans-struggle-to-regain-their-footing-as-a-party/2015/10/08/ed24da96-6de1-11e5-9bfe-e59f5e244f92_story.html
    Less than a year after a sweeping electoral triumph, Republicans are on the verge of ceasing to function as a national political party.

The most powerful and crippling force at work in the ­once-hierarchical GOP is anger, directed as much at its own leaders as anywhere else.

First, a contingent of several dozen conservative House members effectively forced Speaker John A. Boehner (Ohio) to resign rather than face a possibly losing battle to hold on to his job. Now they have claimed House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (Calif.), who had been considered the favorite to replace Boehner until he announced Thursday that he is dropping out of the race.

With no obvious replacement for Boehner in sight, “it is total confusion — a banana republic,” said Rep. Peter T. King (R-N.Y.). “Any plan, anything you anticipate — who knows what’ll happen? People are crying, they don’t have any idea how this will unfold, at all.”

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    transcript from McCarthy's withdrawal announcement:

My fellow congressmans, I come to you all of you today with very surprisingly news that will shock you awe. Due to extreme oppressure to unitify the GOP caucususes, I have had to have to make and important deciding to make sure that we don't disunite ourself and each others. I am henceforthing withdrew my namanation from the position of Speakster of the Houses. Hopeful we can find new leaderers to lead this chamber to a brightest future, and good lucky to whosoevereth takes up the gravel. God blast Armenica.

Atomika on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

My fellow congressmans, I come to you all of you today with very surprisingly news that will shock you awe. Due to extreme oppressure to unitify the GOP caucususes, I have had to have to make and important deciding to make sure that we don't disunite ourself and each others. I am henceforthing withdrew my namanation from the position of Speakster of the Houses. Hopeful we can find new leaderers to lead this chamber to a brightest future, and good lucky to whosoevereth takes up the gravel. God blast Armenica.

Literally cannot tell if satire

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Like a Nigerian scam email made flesh.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

Literally cannot tell if satire

I wasn't sure until Speakster.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Actually, it's a popular fortune cookie.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Prediction for next week: "Inside sources say that GOP members are now drawing straws to determine who will be forced to take the speakership..."

Pretty sure the cold open to Agents of SHIELD last night was inspired by the House GOP.

McCarthy just decided he didn't want to go play with the giant death obelisk.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    I like to imagine McCarthy got Dick Cheney's endorsement and had an epiphany:

https://youtu.be/hn1VxaMEjRU

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

I fondly remember his election campaign
    Hello fellow American. This you should vote for me. I lead power! Good.
    Thank you... thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot.
    Taxes. They'll be lower. Son.
    The democratic vote for me is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Prediction for next week: "Inside sources say that GOP members are now drawing straws to determine who will be forced to take the speakership..."

Pretty sure the cold open to Agents of SHIELD last night was inspired by the House GOP.

McCarthy just decided he didn't want to go play with the giant death obelisk.

tumblr_n1a0xktf3X1so18vqo1_500.gif

moniker on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    The last thing we need is for the House to misinterpret Rorschach.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I like to imagine McCarthy got Dick Cheney's endorsement and had an epiphany:

https://youtu.be/hn1VxaMEjRU

Ok I laughed :)

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular

To be fair, many people misinterpret Rorschach.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular

I fondly remember his election campaign
    Hello fellow American. This you should vote for me. I lead power! Good.
    Thank you... thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot.
    Taxes. They'll be lower. Son.
    The democratic vote for me is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

Is this what happens if you steal a congressman's phone and just keep hitting the predicted suggestions on Swiftkey?

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Handgimp wrote: »

To be fair, many people misinterpret Rorschach.

As I get older, the more I feel Rorschach was actually the villain.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/gop-finds-itself-lacking-leadership-direction-and-purpose

Man tells it like it is.

For several years, much of the political establishment has fiercely resisted the idea that congressional Republicans have been radicalized. A wide variety of Beltway pundits and insiders have even blamed President Obama for not successfully compromising and striking deals with the radicalized GOP – if only the president would lead like a leading leader, Republicans would transform into constructive, mainstream policymakers. This is a problem, we’ve been told repeatedly, that schmoozing can solve.

The lazy punditry was wrong. Since early 2011, legislative productivity has reached depths without modern precedent. The list of major legislative accomplishments is effectively empty. Bills have routinely been brought to the floor for passage, only to have the GOP leadership discover their own members are defying their own party’s legislative priorities.

Under Republican leadership – or what passes for “leadership” in 2015 – the legislative branch has careened between hostage standoffs and self-imposed crises, over and over again, to the point that some have begun to see these ridiculous circumstances, never before seen in the American tradition, as the new normal.

And now, House Republicans can’t even elect their own Speaker.

Pretending like this inability to do anything is new is to ignore what little they've done.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Paul Ryan just said no, again

jmcdonald on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Can you blame him?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited October 2015

AMAZEBALLS

I was really hoping he'd say no, and I wasn't very sure he would.

This is going to be so much fun!

MeekPeskyCockroach.gif

Atomika on
  • Options

Can you blame him?

Not at all. Especially since its Boehner trying to get him to step up and be hated by his caucus.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Darryl Issa and fucking Newt Gingrich are making noises. They are smart enough to say "Give me 218 before anything else" though.

Is it depressing or hilarious that basic competence and arithmetic skills would be an improvement?

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Issa is not an improvement.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Issa is not an improvement.

Look at it this way - he has experience at setting things on fire to burn them down.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    As amusing as all this is, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Because I'm getting the suspicion we're going to end up with someone who really wants the job. Which would be a crazy person.

• Options
    Astale wrote: »
    As amusing as all this is, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Because I'm getting the suspicion we're going to end up with someone who really wants the job. Which would be a crazy person.

Maybe, but the beltway controls the overwhelming share of the GOP house votes, so if they're crazy, they're gonna still be well away from Freedom Caucus-crazy.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I move for a brick that has "raise the debt ceiling and fund the government" written on it as speaker.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Maybe the solution pitched earlier in this thread, about how the College of Cardinals would resolve deadlock by picking a very old guy to kick the can a few years down the road would be best. They could pick someone who has announced they are retiring after 2016 and would thus be immune from pressure, but also a known lame duck that the Freedom Caucus wouldn't have to fear.

• Options
    I kinda want the Dems to not even play ball here. They could give enough votes to put a candidate over the top . . . but whatcha done for me lately, GOP?

*makes palm-greasing motion*

• Options
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    Maybe the solution pitched earlier in this thread, about how the College of Cardinals would resolve deadlock by picking a very old guy to kick the can a few years down the road would be best. They could pick someone who has announced they are retiring after 2016 and would thus be immune from pressure, but also a known lame duck that the Freedom Caucus wouldn't have to fear.

So boehner?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    What if McCarthy has like, Early Onset Alzheimers or something.

Trace on
  • Options
    Mr Khan wrote: »

Yeah.

That's Boehner.