Options

House Speaker John Boehner Is Resigning. Paul Ryan Elected.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Atomika wrote: »
    I kinda want the Dems to not even play ball here. They could give enough votes to put a candidate over the top . . . but whatcha done for me lately, GOP?

*makes palm-greasing motion*

As long as Boehner doesn't step down and can manage to limp into a debt ceiling raise, the Democrats won't do shit for the Republicans except maybe abstain on a Boehner no confidence vote.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Thorn413Thorn413 Registered User regular
    I kinda want the Dems to not even play ball here. They could give enough votes to put a candidate over the top . . . but whatcha done for me lately, GOP?

I have the impression that any Republican speaker reliant on Democratic support would not last very long at all in the current GOP climate.

Though it would certainly be interesting to see.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    There's a straight to video comedy starring a plucky golden retriever in the making here.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    There's a straight to video comedy starring a plucky golden retriever in the making here.

Speaker Buddies.

And now I feel unclean.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Democrats would be crazy to save the GOP here without actual bills passed in both houses for at the very least a years worth of budget and debt ceiling. Like promise to do it wouldn't cut it with me.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I guess I just didn't know until Maddow last night that it was totally planned for Eric Cantor to take Boehners place as Speaker right after the last election had he not gotten fuck primaried out of him.

Jesus Christ and the video she showed from said election? Cantor in a town hall getting booed like fucking crazy.

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    I move for a brick that has "raise the debt ceiling and fund the government" written on it as speaker.

latest?cb=20121216011741

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    "Nobody said a dog can't be the Speaker of the House!"

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »
    I guess I just didn't know until Maddow last night that it was totally planned for Eric Cantor to take Boehners place as Speaker right after the last election had he not gotten fuck primaried out of him.

Jesus Christ and the video she showed from said election? Cantor in a town hall getting booed like fucking crazy.

Yeah, fucking RINO.
    Cantor opposes public funding of embryonic stem cell research and opposes elective abortion. He is rated 100% by the National Right to Life Committee (NRLC) and 0% by NARAL Pro-Choice America, indicating a pro-life voting record. He is also opposed to same-sex marriage, voting to Constitutionally define marriage as between a male and a female in 2006. In November 2007 he voted against prohibiting job discrimination based on sexual orientation. He also supports making flag burning illegal. The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) rated him 19% in 2006, indicating an anti-affirmative action voting record. He is opposed to gun control, voting to ban product misuse lawsuits on gun manufacturers in 2005, and he voted not to require gun registration and trigger-lock laws in the District of Columbia. He has a rating of "A" from the National Rifle Association (NRA).[34] On November 2, 2010, Cantor told Wolf Blitzer of CNN that he would try to trim the federal deficit by reducing welfare.

wait

wut

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

*random passerby with giant rulebook*: "It's true! It's not in here!"

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited October 2015

Speaker of the House? More like Speaker of our Hearts.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options

Yeah, fucking RINO.
    Cantor opposes public funding of embryonic stem cell research and opposes elective abortion. He is rated 100% by the National Right to Life Committee (NRLC) and 0% by NARAL Pro-Choice America, indicating a pro-life voting record. He is also opposed to same-sex marriage, voting to Constitutionally define marriage as between a male and a female in 2006. In November 2007 he voted against prohibiting job discrimination based on sexual orientation. He also supports making flag burning illegal. The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) rated him 19% in 2006, indicating an anti-affirmative action voting record. He is opposed to gun control, voting to ban product misuse lawsuits on gun manufacturers in 2005, and he voted not to require gun registration and trigger-lock laws in the District of Columbia. He has a rating of "A" from the National Rifle Association (NRA).[34] On November 2, 2010, Cantor told Wolf Blitzer of CNN that he would try to trim the federal deficit by reducing welfare.

wait

wut

It was part "not right wing enough", and part forgetting about constituent service.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    In a strange twist of fate, Putin becomes speaker of the house.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Is there anything saying the Speaker has to be alive? Just exhume Reagan.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    "Nobody said a corpse couldn't be Speaker!

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Is there anything saying the Speaker has to be alive? Just exhume Reagan.

If we're going that far let's just exhume Washington.

"You heard him! We must consult the Sacred Chickens before we vote on anything! Wise ol'e Georgie."

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Heir Bud?

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Herr Bud?

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

Yeah, fucking RINO.

wait

wut

And that aint "pure" enough? What does a fella have to do? Speaking in tongues... oh wait that already happened, didn't it? like some years ago.

• Options
    V1m wrote: »

Yeah, fucking RINO.

wait

wut

And that aint "pure" enough? What does a fella have to do? Speaking in tongues... oh wait that already happened, didn't it? like some years ago.

Well, they found the House Freedom Caucus' questionnaire for prospective Speakers. If you're still wondering why nobody wants the job, that will clarify things.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Ryan would actually be pretty much perfect. He'd probably have to govern to some degree, might actually be able to, at least not worse than Boehner, and the flak from inevitable compromise would completely destroy his presidential hopes, saving us from his white house run in 2022.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

Yeah, fucking RINO.

wait

wut

Well, they found the House Freedom Caucus' questionnaire for prospective Speakers. If you're still wondering why nobody wants the job, that will clarify things.

There's some deep cosmic irony in the Freedom Caucus wanting to micromanage house speaker.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Jesus, typing 2022 as a year I am specifically expecting to see with particular events makes me feel like I'm in the future.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Quid wrote: »

Yeah, fucking RINO.

wait

wut

There's some deep cosmic irony in the Freedom Caucus wanting to micromanage house speaker.

There's also a good dollop of cosmic horror in that document as well.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

Yeah, fucking RINO.

wait

wut

jesus christ this thing.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »

jesus christ this thing.

This document reads exactly like an entitled child's wish list.
    • Would you support extending bedtime indefinitely? Why or why not?
    • Are you willing to commit to a measure banning vegetables forever?
    • Can I just have that Power Wheel already? Jimmy Turner has one, I should have one too.
    • What if evidence was brought to you that my sister, indeed, started it?

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    I got about two pages in before I went crosseyed and gave up

• Options
    I got as far down as impeaching the head of the IRS.

You know, just because.

How you do.

• Options

You know, just because.

How you do.

To be fair, I hear that guy is a total dick and cheats at golf.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

You know, just because.

How you do.

Does this work both ways? Can we impeach Gowdy because reasons?

• Options
    #15, especially, is basically asking how far you are willing to go to destroy America.

"Would you go all the way? Or would you pussy out?"

• Options
    Jesus, #18 is basically asking if you support legalizing anarchy.

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    #19-20

"Listen we know you got rid of earmarks and thus have no way of providing a carrot to whip votes. Now we'd really like it if you relinquished your stick as well.

In fact, can we just rename the House to Romper Room already?"

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Ryan would actually be pretty much perfect. He'd probably have to govern to some degree, might actually be able to, at least not worse than Boehner, and the flak from inevitable compromise would completely destroy his presidential hopes, saving us from his white house run in 2022.

Is there something I don't know about the White House in 2022?

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    The first question is literally "will you support us breaking the rules?" And then the next question "would you stop punishing us for breaking the rules?" And then "isn't talking to democrats worse than breaking the rules?"

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I like that the end of it is a way to modify the rules to make it so they can do what they want. Kinda making the position of Speaker an empty figurehead.

Will you be our puppet? Y/N?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »
    The first question is literally "will you support us breaking the rules?" And then the next question "would you stop punishing us for breaking the rules?" And then "isn't talking to democrats worse than breaking the rules?"

"Look, we know we're only, like, 15% percent of the whole caucus, but how do you feel about letting us run wild and being a puppet for our shitshow?"

• Options
    Jesus Christ no wonder they can't find someone to do this. Agreeing to this shit is basically just committing career suicide.

• Options
    There's just so much irony in the "Freedom Caucus" only supporting a Speaker that will be their personal slave.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    no republican would try to win the speakership using democratic support; they'd never be able to accomplish anything

more likely would be pelosi peeling off however many republicans she needs (~30?) to form a majority, but even that would be career suicide for the pubs and thus unlikely

there doesn't seem to be anybody who both wants the job and can get the votes to win it, so what'll probably happen is they'll dither for a week or two while they try and figure out which set of masters they fear more, the corporatists or the crazy ideologues.

hold your head high soldier, it ain't over yet
    that's why we call it the struggle, you're supposed to sweat