As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PSN] 7 June - Mirror's Edge Catalyst | SteamWorld Heist | Odin Sphere | Sherlock TDD

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »
    Quiotu wrote: »
    Hey, does anyone know what Wild Arms games are?

I think it's a PS1 dating sim

Oh... god... DAMN you for making me remember that game...

Thousand Arms?

Yeeeeep...

I didn't get very far in it, but it does have an amazing opening song at the very least. Good ol' Ayumi Hamasaki <3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW-da31Yoys
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPD9OMt-nrI

I also found this, which...okay...

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I couldn't not buy Valkyria Chronicles this week. I try to support that franchise as much as I can. I'm also one of those people that bought the PS3 version before I owned the console. It's been so long since I played the original that I forgot all the cool touches like the book that the game plays out of. I own the soundtrack, but I had also forgotten how haunting the main theme is. Aside from a couple bits with the story at the end, it really is something special. The best thing Sega could do is let Atlus play with the franchise.

Artereis on
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    I would love to have a Lego Edelweiss with Welkin and Alicia.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Hahaha, so I bought Valkyria Chronicles on the PSN store, because it was cheaper than the physical Europa edition and the Steelbook version was nowhere to be found around me; I started the download somewhere yesterday and yesterday evening it said "downloaded". I didn't play it then so now I started playing it, and after mission 2 it said "Well, to continue playing your download must be finished. Estimation ; 1312 minutes" :eek:

Then I looked into that download queue and that mofo is 29 Gig :eek: and it still needs to pull in 10 Gig...

At least I could play it without having been downloaded completely...

It's nice that I forgot some things (like the Darcsen) and remembered some things (Welkin's look on his face when he heard what happened in the tank with Martha) :biggrin:

EDIT: Paused the download, and pressed continue and it should now take only 40 minutes instead of 22 hours :lol:

Corporal Carl on
    PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    All right, I'm going to buy Wild Arms 3 based on the recommendations here. The last time I bought something blindly like this it was The Fall, which turned out to be an amazing game. So don't screw this up, PSN Thread Posters!!

26904.png
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    EDIT: Paused the download, and pressed continue and it should now take only 40 minutes instead of 22 hours :lol:

This is a delightful thing that PSN does. I have a pretty nice fiber connection, that'll happily download at super fast speeds via PSN. Until it'll suddenly slow to a crawl after 10 minutes, only to pick back up once I pause/resume. Repeat ad nauseum. Or, like, twice since it'll be done. But it's odd, and annoying.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »

This is a delightful thing that PSN does. I have a pretty nice fiber connection, that'll happily download at super fast speeds via PSN. Until it'll suddenly slow to a crawl after 10 minutes, only to pick back up once I pause/resume. Repeat ad nauseum. Or, like, twice since it'll be done. But it's odd, and annoying.

Shut up, you aren't allowed to complain. :P

• Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »
    All right, I'm going to buy Wild Arms 3 based on the recommendations here. The last time I bought something blindly like this it was The Fall, which turned out to be an amazing game. So don't screw this up, PSN Thread Posters!!

HAHAHAHA! SUCKER!

What? :)

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    Hopefully it's not a problem to ask this here, but the Disgaea thread is pretty dead is all.

Anyhow, the US version of Disgaea5, does it have an option for Japanese vocals, or is it just English through and through? i've got the J-side version, but i think i'd probably have more fun if i wasn't always having to do (really poor) head translations for all the text.

steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Hopefully it's not a problem to ask this here, but the Disgaea thread is pretty dead is all.

Anyhow, the US version of Disgaea5, does it have an option for Japanese vocals, or is it just English through and through? i've got the J-side version, but i think i'd probably have more fun if i wasn't always having to do (really poor) head translations for all the text.

Disgaea 5 is dual-audio.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Heads up, there's a $5 or Less Flash Sale going on this weekend.
    Games

Platform Title Sale Price Original Price

PS4 Arcania – The Complete Tale $4.99 $19.99
    PS4 Beach Buggy Racing $2.49 $9.99
    PS4 Boggle $3.49 $9.99
    PS4 Defense Grid 2 $2.99 $14.99
    PS4 Don’t Starve: Console Edition (Cross-Buy) $4.49 $14.99
    PS4 Don’t Starve: Console Edition + Reign of Giants $4.74 $18.99
    PS4 Entwined $3.99 $9.99
    PS4 Flower $2.79 $6.99
    PS4 Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions Evolved $4.94 $14.99
    PS4 Grim Fandango Remastered (Cross-Buy) $4.49 $14.99
    PS4 Grow Home $2.79 $7.99
    PS4 Hitman Go: Definitive Edition $3.19 $7.99
    PS4 I Am Bread $4.54 $12.99
    PS4 Killzone: Shadow Fall $4.99 $19.99
    PS4 King’s Quest – Chapter 2: Rubble Without a Cause $3.89 $9.99
    PS4 Murdered: Soul Suspect $4.49 $29.99
    PS4 Nidhogg (Cross-Buy) $4.49 $14.99
    PS4 Outlast $4.99 $19.99
    PS4 Pure Pool $4.99 $19.99
    PS4 Riptide GP2 $1.74 $6.99
    PS4 Risk $4.94 $14.99
    PS4 Rogue Legacy (Cross-Buy) $4.24 $16.99
    PS4 Scrabble $4.94 $14.99
    PS4 Sound Shapes (Cross-buy) $3.99 $9.99
    PS4 Super Mega Baseball (Cross-Buy) $4.99 $19.99
    PS4 Surgeon Simulator: A&E Anniversary Edition $2.59 $12.99
    PS4 Terraria $4.99 $19.99
    PS4 Tetris Ultimate $3.49 $9.99
    PS4 The Banner Saga $4.99 $19.99
    PS4 The Castle Game $4.49 $14.99
    PS4 The Golf Club $4.49 $29.99
    PS4 The Jackbox Party Pack $4.99 $24.99
    PS4 The Jackbox Party Pack 2 $4.99 $24.99
    PS4 The Walking Dead: The Complete First Season $4.99 $24.99
    PS4 The Wolf Among Us $4.99 $24.99
    PS4 Thief $4.49 $29.99
    PS4 Transistor $4.99 $19.99
    PS4 Trivial Pursuit Live! $4.94 $14.99
    PS4 Zombi $4.99 $19.99
    PS3 Borderlands $4.99 $19.99
    PS3 Borderlands 2 $4.99 $19.99
    PS3 Bully (PS2 Classic) $3.99 $9.99
    PS3 Dead Island Riptide – Complete Edition $4.99 $19.99
    PS3 Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z $4.49 $29.99
    PS3 Ducktales Remastered $4.49 $14.99
    PS3 Duke Nukem Forever $3.99 $19.99
    PS3 Entwined $3.99 $9.99
    PS3 Far Cry 3 $4.99 $19.99
    PS3 Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions Evolved $4.94 $14.99
    PS3 Hitman: Absolution Special Edition $3.99 $19.99
    PS3 Hitman Blood Money $4.24 $16.99
    PS3 Hitman Trilogy $3.99 $39.99
    PS3 I Am Alive $2.99 $14.99
    PS3 Journey $4.49 $14.99
    PS3 Just Cause 2 $3.99 $19.99
    PS3 Just Cause 2 Ultimate Edition $4.49 $29.99
    PS3 King’s Quest – Chapter 2: Rubble Without a Cause $3.89 $9.99
    PS3 L.A. Noire $4.49 $29.99
    PS3 LittleBigPlanet $4.99 $19.99
    PS3 Manhunt (PS2 Classic) $3.99 $9.99
    PS3 Max Payne (PS2 Classic) $3.99 $9.99
    PS3 Max Payne 3 $3.99 $19.99
    PS3 Midnight Club Los Angeles: Complete Edition $3.99 $19.99
    PS3 MX vs. ATV Supercross $4.49 $29.99
    PS3 MX vs. ATV: Alive $2.99 $19.99
    PS3 Okami HD $4.89 $13.99
    PS3 Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale $4.99 $19.99
    PS3 Red Dead Redemption $4.49 $29.99
    PS3 Risk $3.49 $9.99
    PS3 Rogue Legacy (Cross-Buy) $4.24 $16.99
    PS3 Saints Row: The Third $3.74 $14.99
    PS3 Sniper Elite V2 $4.49 $29.99
    PS3 Super Mega Baseball (Cross-Buy) $4.99 $19.99
    PS3 The Bureau: Xcom Declassified $3.99 $19.99
    PS3 The Darkness II $3.99 $39.99
    PS3 The Jackbox Party Pack $4.99 $24.99
    PS3 The Jackbox Party Pack 2 $4.99 $24.99
    PS3 The Walking Dead: The Complete First Season $4.99 $19.99
    PS3 Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Blacklist $4.99 $19.99
    PS3 Tomb Raider Digital Edition $4.99 $19.99
    PS3 Twisted Metal: Black (PS2 Classic) $3.99 $9.99
    PS3 War of the Monsters (PS2 Classic) $3.99 $9.99
    PS Vita Don’t Starve: Giant Edition (Cross-Buy) $4.49 $14.99
    PS Vita Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z $4.99 $19.99
    PS Vita Entwined $3.99 $9.99
    PS Vita Freedom Wars $4.49 $14.99
    PS Vita Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions Evolved $4.94 $14.99
    PS Vita Grim Fandango Remastered (Cross-Buy) $4.49 $14.99
    PS Vita Hitman Go: Definitive Edition $3.19 $7.99
    PS Vita Nidhogg (Cross-Buy) $4.49 $14.99
    PS Vita Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale $4.49 $14.99
    PS Vita Rogue Legacy (Cross-Buy) $4.24 $16.99
    PS Vita Terraria $4.49 $14.99
    PS Vita Tetris Ultimate $4.94 $14.99
    PS Vita The Walking Dead: The Complete First Season $4.99 $19.99
    PSP Manhunt 2 $4.49 $14.99
    PSP Midnight Club: L.A. Remix $3.99 $19.99
    PSP Monster Hunter Freedom Unite $4.99 $19.99
    PSP NBA 2K13 $4.99 $19.99
    PSP Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 $4.99 $19.99
    PSP Tekken 6 $4.49 $14.99
    PSP The Warriors $4.49 $14.99

I have a /lot/ of those games already but if you don't have them, then it's not a bad deal.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular

Disgaea 5 is dual-audio.

That's pretty darn keen, Vags. Thanks for the heads up, yeah.

steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

Disgaea 5 is dual-audio.

That's pretty darn keen, Vags. Thanks for the heads up, yeah.

Every game in the series, iric, is dual audio.

• Options
    Holy shit June. All these in one month. I'm gonna cry.

Atelier Sophie.
    Star Ocean 5.
    Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir.
    Guilty Gear Xrd: Revelator.
    Zero Time Dilemma.
    God Eater: Resurrection.
    Project Diva: Future Tone.
    (Oh, and also #FE: TMS on the WiiU).

HOW THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO AFFORD AND HAVE TIME TO PLAY ALL THESE!?

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Well, Star Ocean 5 is supposed to be awful, so you could save $60 there.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Dirty wrote: »

As long as it's similar to SO3 I'll probably love it. I'm being hopeful. Most people are upset that it's shorter than previous titles, right?
    Edit: Yep. 20 hour game and complaints about the story.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Can I use any kind of keyboard with the PS4? I want to play some FF14 but I am tired of not being able to type efficiently so I was thinking of buying it on PC but I also have an extra mechanical keyboard.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Stragint wrote: »
    Can I use any kind of keyboard with the PS4? I want to play some FF14 but I am tired of not being able to type efficiently so I was thinking of buying it on PC but I also have an extra mechanical keyboard.

You can use any keyboard that doesn't require additional drivers.

You can also play FF14 on the PS4 with KB&M.

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Pretty sure most USB keyboards work fine with the PS4.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I'm really torn on God Eater. It's tempting, but... Odin Sphere two weeks before, MH Gen 2 weeks after.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular

After reading this article that includes an interview with Shuichi Kobayashi, who produced it, I'm taking the whole "SO5 is terrible" thing with a grain of salt. Its starting to feel to me its more hurt feelings because they made it different that the older games, rather than it actually being bad.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    AspectVoid wrote: »

After reading this article that includes an interview with Shuichi Kobayashi, who produced it, I'm taking the whole "SO5 is terrible" thing with a grain of salt. Its starting to feel to me its more hurt feelings because they made it different that the older games, rather than it actually being bad.

We'll find out come release. Nobody has to buy it the exact day it comes out before any opinions are formed on it.

The thing to keep in mind is that while there's a lot of complaints about it from the Japanese end, Japanese Amazon reviewers are also notorious for being scumbags. Once Western viewpoints are out on it we'll start to see a better picture.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    AspectVoid wrote: »

We'll find out come release. Nobody has to buy it the exact day it comes out before any opinions are formed on it.

The thing to keep in mind is that while there's a lot of complaints about it from the Japanese end, Japanese Amazon reviewers are also notorious for being scumbags. Once Western viewpoints are out on it we'll start to see a better picture.

Guys, you are making me cautiously optimistic. You need to stop. You're only setting me up for pain.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    There are also a ton of people who hated SO4 for whatever reason, so there's built-up fanboying going on. It might actually be a bad game! But it's nigh-impossible to separate the RAR IT'S NOT LIKE THE OLD GAMES hatewagon from actual critique.

Which is a shame. :(

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular

As long as it's similar to SO3 I'll probably love it. I'm being hopeful. Most people are upset that it's shorter than previous titles, right?
    Edit: Yep. 20 hour game and complaints about the story.

The combat seems pretty different.

• Options
    I think the only thing I hated in Star Ocean 4 was how limited Private Actions effect the epilogue of the game. In the previous games, every character had endings with every other character based on points gained during PA, where in Star Ocean 4 each character only had one ending, and maxing out affection points let you see it.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    SO4 was fun. I only hated the plot and the acting in both languages, and the exploration. I hated the crafting a little less than in SO3.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I dunno. After the second game (and by extension the first game even though we didn't get it until later), the series as a whole hasn't been what I would call "amazing". No doubt people like it, and if you do, high five to you. But as someone who'll play pretty much any RPG, the SO games haven't been on my personal radar for a long time, and I don't see this newest game changing that.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    I really wish I could forget SO3's story twist so I could enjoy that series again.

• Options
    The story-twist doesn't even matter.
    So the gods are weeby nerds. Same difference.

• Options
    My biggest problem with SO4 was that the combat system was worse than SO3's: The bonus gauge became annoying and tedious, the AI was worse, enemy targeting was atrocious and in no way perfectly manual like SO3, and it had an entire mechanic (Blindesides) where where only preformable by the controlled character. The story and characters were 'okay'.

But I mostly play SO games for the combat and everything else is on the side, so that's the main thing which will determine if I enjoy the hell out of SO5 or not. Also, when making SO5 they publicly apologized for SO4, so I'm more than willing to give this one a chance.

And SO3 had one of the most clever twists in gaming by taking a common as dirt fantasy story trope and retelling it by just swapping fantasy terms for sci-fi ones... yet hilariously people get pissed off at at. It amuses the shit out of me that mere semantics causes so much vitriol.
    There's no functional difference between SO3 and any fantasy game where the players declare war on their creator and travel to Heaven/Yggdrasil/etc. to kill their god and become independent. SO3 shares this plotline with tri-Ace's own Valkyrie Profile 2, the God of War series, Breath of Fire 3, a shitload of games in the Shin Megami Tensei series, Xenogears, Xenosaga, Xenoblade, etc.

But once Heaven/Yggdrasil/etc. becomes '4D realm' and once Gods/Creators become Game Designers oh now it's suddenly a problem. There's no bloody difference.

• Options
    I like Star Ocean 3's twist. A lot.
    It very much raises the question of "What is a god?" If a god is someone who creates a world and life that inhabits it, then wouldn't someone who created an artificial world inhabited by artificial life be a god? Sure, it wasn't handled the best way possible, but its an interesting thought to bring into a video game. Really, its something you'd expect on an episode of Star Trek or something, and given Star Ocean takes a lot of its sci-fi inspiration from Star Trek, I really found it fitting.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    But it would work better if it weren't the third game. I suspect some of it is backlash in that it throws out the established worldbuilding entirely if you suddenly introduce something like that in the third game. There's some degree of investment that's being trampled over, which leads to people being upset. If you did that as the major plot twist of an early game, it wouldn't be as big a deal (though there may be some backlash anyways if it's not handled well, accusations of deus ex machina type storytelling and such).

Disclaimer: I've not played the series, only heard bits and pieces of the plot (that bit in particular).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    But it would work better if it weren't the third game. I suspect some of it is backlash in that it throws out the established worldbuilding entirely if you suddenly introduce something like that in the third game. There's some degree of investment that's being trampled over, which leads to people being upset. If you did that as the major plot twist of an early game, it wouldn't be as big a deal (though there may be some backlash anyways if it's not handled well, accusations of deus ex machina type storytelling and such).

Disclaimer: I've not played the series, only heard bits and pieces of the plot (that bit in particular).

It doesn't retcon or change anything that happens in the other games.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I've been interested in playing a Star Ocean game but have never gotten around to it. I have a hard time committing 50+ hours to any game that isn't an MMO, and usually when I'm playing a MMO I'm not playing anything else. I'm not playing any MMO's at the moment so I was considering maybe trying SO5 when it comes out, but after reading Kotaku's import preview, http://kotaku.com/star-ocean-integrity-and-faithlessness-the-kotaku-imp-1774392290, I'm not so sure. I'll still wait for reviews from more western outlets before I make any decisions, but it sounds like it's not so much that the game is a departure from the previews SO games so much as it's just not a very good game overall.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    You can always dive into an Atelier game instead if you've never played one. :D

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I have a save in P4G about 30 hours in that I've been meaning to go back to. I'd have to load up my save to be sure but I think it's sometime around mid June. Blame a Destiny expansion for my long hiatus because I was loving P4G.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I only hate the plot twist because it detracts from the fantasy sci-fi fusion rpg that I'm playing the game for. It's not really out of left field either. It was foreshadowed pretty heavily, it just didn't feel like foreshadowing because the idea is so foreign it was hard to connect the dots.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    My biggest problem with SO4 was that the combat system was worse than SO3's: The bonus gauge became annoying and tedious, the AI was worse, enemy targeting was atrocious and in no way perfectly manual like SO3, and it had an entire mechanic (Blindesides) where where only preformable by the controlled character. The story and characters were 'okay'.

But I mostly play SO games for the combat and everything else is on the side, so that's the main thing which will determine if I enjoy the hell out of SO5 or not. Also, when making SO5 they publicly apologized for SO4, so I'm more than willing to give this one a chance.

And SO3 had one of the most clever twists in gaming by taking a common as dirt fantasy story trope and retelling it by just swapping fantasy terms for sci-fi ones... yet hilariously people get pissed off at at. It amuses the shit out of me that mere semantics causes so much vitriol.
    There's no functional difference between SO3 and any fantasy game where the players declare war on their creator and travel to Heaven/Yggdrasil/etc. to kill their god and become independent. SO3 shares this plotline with tri-Ace's own Valkyrie Profile 2, the God of War series, Breath of Fire 3, a shitload of games in the Shin Megami Tensei series, Xenogears, Xenosaga, Xenoblade, etc.

But once Heaven/Yggdrasil/etc. becomes '4D realm' and once Gods/Creators become Game Designers oh now it's suddenly a problem. There's no bloody difference.

It's almost as if how you tell a story is just as important as what story you're telling.
    Even if it is the same overall plot. Trying to tell people their World of Warcraft characters have come alive and want to live in the real world is clearly a bridge too far for a lot of people.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

It's almost as if how you tell a story is just as important as what story you're telling.
    Even if it is the same overall plot. Trying to tell people their World of Warcraft characters have come alive and want to live in the real world is clearly a bridge too far for a lot of people.

WoW's not the best example to use for that. WoW's writers constantly get lambasted for mishandling story ideas as it is.