As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MechWarrior Online] HEAD TO THE LZ FOR EXTRACTION TO NEW THREAD!

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Very shortly about to start purchasing Grasshoppers. Anyone want to push a particular variant with an associated build over the other?

I'm waffling around with this for the lulz: GHR-5J - 4xLLAS, 2xMLAS, 1xSRM4, 2xAMS

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    @Buttcleft
    You're better off keeping your money and waiting for the archer's cbill release. That way you won't be kicked in the family jewels when pgi does their customary cbill release nerf of the good variants.

IS mech packs simply aren't safe to purchase.

Yeah I know.

Its not asking for much though, just enough positive progress to trick me into buying the archer and its hero variant. but I guess even that's to much for PGI now a days, and its utterly stupid because I could go and get a lot more mechs and a lot more versatility with that 40 dollars if I bought half of the Origins pack, for example

I find it funny how my opinion has flipped, I used to defend them so much because for the longest time they were trying hard to dig themselves out from under the horrible decisions forced on them by IGP and were actually being decent and doing okay things, but now..

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Very shortly about to start purchasing Grasshoppers. Anyone want to push a particular variant with an associated build over the other?

I'm waffling around with this for the lulz: GHR-5J - 4xLLAS, 2xMLAS, 1xSRM4, 2xAMS

I would ditch the SRM4 for 2 more DHS and some more AMS ammo. It doesn't seem like much, but it increases sustained damage by 10% when using your lasers

*Personal opinion, I generally hate ER lasers for IS and like all the other GHR variants more

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options

I would ditch the SRM4 for 2 more DHS and some more AMS ammo.

This is my most effective grasshopper and generally my best CW mech. Combine it with MLas cooldown module (and range if you have the cash and gxp)
    GHR-5H 6xMlas 1xMPL 1xSRM4 300STD 3xJJ

I also have this in my CW dropdeck.
    GHR-5N 8xML 300STD 4xJJ

I cant remember who it was for the life of me, but someone posted a..5P build I think they were having a good time with, so hopefully they'll see this and repost the build

• Options

I would ditch the SRM4 for 2 more DHS and some more AMS ammo. It doesn't seem like much, but it increases sustained damage by 10% when using your lasers

*Personal opinion, I generally hate ER lasers for IS and like all the other GHR variants more
    Well, in close the idea was that I'd have the MLs and the SRMs for more last second punch on anything that closed the battle lines since the ERLLAS run kinda warm and aren't super great to use in close combat. I messed around with more heatsinks and so on but it all came out to less sustained damage and weaker alphas. If I'm overheating on just lasers, I can pull back behind cover since it should be a mid-long range fight at that point.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    MaijinamuroMaijinamuro Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I honestly have to blame all the DDoS script kiddies out there since I have not only seen lag in MWO but Diablo 3 and Star Wars Battlefront. Either that or there are some major hubs being overwhelmed lately with lots more people on them.

Take a look at http://map.norsecorp.com/ It shows a map of targets and where the hits are coming from. Roseville, CA is a major internet hub for the US and it has been getting slammed for almost a week now. Country of origin keeps shifting so probably DDOS script. Plus it looks neat!

Maijinamuro on
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I honestly have to blame all the DDoS script kiddies out there since I have not only seen lag in MWO but Diablo 3 and Star Wars Battlefront. Either that or there are some major hubs being overwhelmed lately with lots more people on them.

Take a look at http://map.norsecorp.com/ It shows a map of targets and where the hits are coming from. Roseville, CA is a major internet hub for the US and it has been getting slammed for almost a week now. Country of origin keeps shifting so probably DDOS script. Plus it looks neat!

Wait seriously?!?! I always thought it was in SF or LA (a major hub). No wonder Oracle is in Roseville.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Looks like bad CGI from wargames

and I understand it even less

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Lines "hitting" targets indicate an "attack" on a specific location. Each line represents something like a thousand individual attacks. So, right now, it's looking like Saskatoon, Canada is the current "country of origin" for the attacks hitting Roseville.

EDIT - it's kind of interesting watching when a massive DDoS flood is depicted: the screen freezes for a second or two, and suddenly there are 500-2000 new lines converging on one location.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Lines "hitting" targets indicate an "attack" on a specific location. Each line represents something like a thousand individual attacks. So, right now, it's looking like Saskatoon, Canada is the current "country of origin" for the attacks hitting Roseville.

LOL, Saskatoon has a population of under 250k

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Doesn't matter, what matters is how many PCs have botnet backdoors in them.

there could be 1.5million PCs in an area with only 250k population.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

By chance do all of those ~250k have computers and are DDoSing Roseville? :P

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    I have a feeling its more a matter of spoofing the attacking IP to appear to be Saskatoon than actually having much of the botnet located there.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I just wish they would quit hitting that node so I can play online.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options

I just wish they would quit hitting that node so I can play online.

Tis the season to be suffering

trollolololo lolo lo loooooo

• Options
    @Buttcleft
    You're better off keeping your money and waiting for the archer's cbill release. That way you won't be kicked in the family jewels when pgi does their customary cbill release nerf of the good variants.

Yeah I know.

Its not asking for much though, just enough positive progress to trick me into buying the archer and its hero variant. but I guess even that's to much for PGI now a days, and its utterly stupid because I could go and get a lot more mechs and a lot more versatility with that 40 dollars if I bought half of the Origins pack, for example

I find it funny how my opinion has flipped, I used to defend them so much because for the longest time they were trying hard to dig themselves out from under the horrible decisions forced on them by IGP and were actually being decent and doing okay things, but now..

I forgot to respond to your post here while getting distracted by talk of internet traffic.

This makes sense to why you have been so bitter lately about the game. You had hopes of PGI actually changing the game and they have done nothing to do so in your eyes. Plus add in the normal salt being rubbed in by Clan pilots that pretty much is a recipe for suffering.

I have been waffling on buying the Archer since it is one of those mechs I liked, but not one of my favorites. Sort of like the Marauder is for me right now. It is an ok mech in the game but nothing that makes me really want to drive it as much as my others. The only enticing point for me is the ECM variant which would be nice to have.

Not to mention I have yet to even try out my new IIc mechs that are sitting there waiting to be modified and driven.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    @Buttcleft

Yeah I know.

I forgot to respond to your post here while getting distracted by talk of internet traffic.

This makes sense to why you have been so bitter lately about the game. You had hopes of PGI actually changing the game and they have done nothing to do so in your eyes. Plus add in the normal salt being rubbed in by Clan pilots that pretty much is a recipe for suffering.

I have been waffling on buying the Archer since it is one of those mechs I liked, but not one of my favorites. Sort of like the Marauder is for me right now. It is an ok mech in the game but nothing that makes me really want to drive it as much as my others. The only enticing point for me is the ECM variant which would be nice to have.

Not to mention I have yet to even try out my new IIc mechs that are sitting there waiting to be modified and driven.

Just.. its the walking temple to the high gods of LRM.

As the high priest of LRM, I feel like I must own it.

but..I just, no matter how much I try to twist logic, I cant find a way to justify giving PGI money at this stage.

• Options
    Easy. You are the High Priest of LRMs and as such you need this mech, nay you shall have this mech.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Easy. You are the High Priest of LRMs and as such you need this mech, nay you shall have this mech.

yeah I know, I'm stupid and I apparently liked to be emotionally and psychologically abused.

so I'll probably end up buying it when I'm flush with Christmas cash

because I'm fucking stupid

• Options
    @Buttcleft

Yeah I know.

but..I just, no matter how much I try to twist logic, I cant find a way to justify giving PGI money at this stage.
    Do you want me to talk you out of it? I mean, we can do that.

Don't boat LRMs as an IS pilot unless you like being completely fucking useless and a load on your team. IS LRM boats are more or less completely incapable of dealing with people trying to close in and you will get eaten alive by Cheetahs and everything else.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    @Buttcleft

Yeah I know.

Don't boat LRMs as an IS pilot unless you like being completely fucking useless and a load on your team. IS LRM boats are more or less completely incapable of dealing with people trying to close in and you will get eaten alive by Cheetahs and everything else.

I am the official High Priest of the Temple of Luuuurms for the Oosiks.

I do not think you comprehend the magnitude of what you are saying, and who you are saying it to :razz:

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    I think the best LRM mechs are the Mediums like the Trebuchet, Kintaro, and Hunchbacks. They move fast enough to easily keep up with the team and also enough to reposition for better LRM arcs around cover.

Heavy mechs can do OK, but are better served being SRM Shotgun boats.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    I think the best LRM mechs are the Mediums like the Trebuchet, Kintaro, and Hunchbacks. They move fast enough to easily keep up with the team and also enough to reposition for better LRM arcs around cover.

I wish the MAD-5D had one more missile or energy hardpoint. An SRM 12+A isn't really that great, only one high energy hardpoint is pretty lame and -10% energy heat isn't exactly a royal flush on the quirk end of things. I don't want to run it as a LRM boat, but there not much else to do with it.

• Options
    I run my OR1-P with 2x SRM6, 1x AC10, 3x MLAS and it can put in some work.

Ammo based weapons are great as backup when your energy weapons have you at the heat brink.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular

The Kintaro line is complete shit. They're assault sized medium mechs and have zero saving graces except that they're great LRM boats, which is more another strike against it than anything else.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Konphujun wrote: »

The Kintaro line is complete shit. They're assault sized medium mechs and have zero saving graces except that they're great LRM boats, which is more another strike against it than anything else.

You can smack some streaks on em and run em as light-hunters. They move fast enough to do it. I think that utility redeems them a bit.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    I ended up going with this mech as my first Grasshopper: GHR-5P - 3xERLLAS, 5xMLAS, 1xAMS

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Konphujun wrote: »

Nope.
    My KTO-GB with 5x LRM5 and 3x MPL does work.
    Once PGI pulls their heads out of their asses and gives it the model rescale or gives it structure buffs to compensate, it will become a 55t bruiser of epic proportions with SRMs.

Amusingly, they did give 1 Variant the Structure bonuses it needs, but not all the variants.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Is there a recommended resource for looking up builds? Friend got me back into this and I have 3 Hunchbacks and 2 Awesomes sitting around (Plus 2 more mechs I got for free I think at some point that aren't in my inventory). No idea how to effectively kit them out.

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Is there a recommended resource for looking up builds? Friend got me back into this and I have 3 Hunchbacks and 2 Awesomes sitting around (Plus 2 more mechs I got for free I think at some point that aren't in my inventory). No idea how to effectively kit them out.

http://metamechs.com/mwo-tier-lists/is-list/

Its a good place to start, but feel free to customize it to better work for yourself.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    @Buttcleft

Yeah I know.

This post did a better job of convincing Padre of buying the Archer than I did. He'll now have to buy them just to prove us all wrong.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    @Buttcleft

Yeah I know.

This post did a better job of convincing Padre of buying the Archer than I did. He'll now have to buy them just to prove us all wrong.

Nah I'm good, realized the steam sale starts today.

why pay 35 for archer + hero when I can pay 23 for Elder Scrolls Online.

• Options
    Oh man... I should have never read that the steam sale is live.

This might make me not buy the Archer as well.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    I kind of miss the old days when LRMs were super OP. I had fun boating.

But i can see why they changed it and it's probably for the best.

• Options
    well, I bought a griffin 2n.

• Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    What the fuck are you supposed to do with Black Knights? Their hardpoints are too low to be any use in a support role, and they're too fucking enormous and hot to be brawlers.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    What the fuck are you supposed to do with Black Knights? Their hardpoints are too low to be any use in a support role, and they're too fucking enormous and hot to be brawlers.

You're supposed to put them in storage and pilot grasshoppers, which are everything the black knight should have been, and more.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

Medium pulses. Runs like a champ.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular

So a Thunderbolt with less range then? I've got that build running on one variant, but is that seriously all it can do?

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options

So a Thunderbolt with less range then? I've got that build running on one variant, but is that seriously all it can do?

Here's an album of how I have them kitted out:
    http://imgur.com/a/4VTiF

Also, idk what to say. I've had enormous success with them, they're probably some of my favorite mechs. I guess it comes down to playstyle?

Stabbity_Style.png