As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Captain Power and the [chat]ters of the Future

19495969798100»

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »
    I know you guys won't agree with me on this, and I feel pretty strongly about criticism, so probably best to just drop it.

For what it's worth, SKFM, criticism isn't really for consumers, its for artists.

I think you take it too personally when you like some piece of media and it gets criticized but you really shouldn't care. If you like it you like it, that's OK. The very best artworks humanity has put out can still be criticized. A good artist wants their work criticized.

My whole thing is not liking unfair criticism, which to me means criticizing a work to make a point instead of actually evaluating that work on its own merit. When I have seen tropes used as criticism, it is usually the former, which really bothers me. But I know I have an idiosyncratic view, that stems from feeling like niche works I really like have been unfairly criticized by people who don't even care about those kinds of works. Gamespot's reviews of the Aki n64 wrestling games, Matt Peckham's review of NWN2, etc. have left a real impression on me and have made me very uncomfortable with reviews by people who don't care about the works they review.

Criticism and review are two different things. They overlap sometimes but are not identical.

Also people need to learn that bad things can be entertaining, and good things don't have to be. People put a lot of stock in the idea that enjoying something means it's well made.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Also, we seein' this shit today?

Tennessee county proposes resolution to protect itself from God's wrath after gay marriage ruling

"We adopt this Resolution before God that He pass us by in His Coming Wrath and not destroy our County as He did Sodom and Gomorrah and the neighboring cities

"We adopt this Resolution begging His favor in light of the fact that we have been forced to comply and recognize that the State of Tennessee, like so many other God-fearing States, may have fallen prey to a lawless judiciary in legalizing what God and the Bible expressly forbids

"We the Blount County Legislature call upon all of the Officers of the State of Tennessee, the Governor, the Attorney General, and the members of the Tennessee Legislature, to join us, and utilize all authority within their power to protect Natural Marriage, from lawless court opinions."

So the First Amendment is dogshit, and the Second Amendment is sacrosanct. Gotcha.

fucking east tennessee

there's only three things in east tennessee: hillbillies, methheads, and bootleggers

ok ok one thing

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Gooey wrote: »
    man this costco car buying thing seems p legit

does it come with a trunk full of off-brand twizzlers and nuts in gallon plastic tubs

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

Gooey WAIT. STAHP!!

*buys more costco stock*

pls continue

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    milski wrote: »
    I hate Tv tropes the most of any non-social media website. The whole idea of it is to reduce things to their commonalities no matter how much it results in misunderstanding the individual works. I literally cannot think of a worse way to evaluate media than to say "these ten very different shows used X trope." It doesn't tell toy anything pf value IMO.

Good writing is always deliberate. It's important for authors to know which tropes they are using and why. Thoughtless, unaware trope usage is a major indicator of amateur writing.

This doesn't mean, however, that identifying tropes is some sort of next-level form of media criticism, which is the mistake that tvtropes users and the internet make constantly.

I think Tvtropes explicitly says trope usage is neutral and serves to identify more than critique. Whether the people who link tvtropes do is another matter, but they mostly exist to let people obsessively file things into boxes, not to judge works for their originality.

This.

A trope isn't a negative thing. It's just a thing. Basically it's the modern slang term for "archetype."

The biggest use for a trope as an idea is for critical looks. I can take two films with similar tropes and use the tropes as a basis of comparison, to demonstrate commonality. And that's where you can get into all kinds of fun things. So looking at The Seven Samurai and the Magnificent Seven they both use the trope of a band of warriors defending the poor. But they differ in that the conflict between the villagers and the warriors in The Seven Samurai is about class, and the conflict between the two groups in The Magnificent Seven is about race.

Is a band of warriors defending the poor really that common?

Sure. It's a bit more common if you express it as an outsider or group of outsiders defend the village and has a long and storied tradition going back to Beowulf. If you're just looking for it in film, then off the top of my head:

The Seven Samurai
    The Magnificent Seven
    Shane
    Mad Max 2
    Sholay
    Quigley Down Under

High Plains Drifter
    The Three Amigos
    Blazing Saddles

Every DnD adventure

except Fuck Going to Tornado Island, that was more of a Cursed Ground trope

:D does anyone have the link to that album?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

does it come with a trunk full of off-brand twizzlers and nuts in gallon plastic tubs

I had some of the caramel apple twizzlers today. They weren't nearly as bad as I expected.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    ugh like $13.90 for a personal pizza and salad
    why school
    why

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    TTODewback wrote: »
    why school
    why

captive market

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

Gooey WAIT. STAHP!!

*buys more costco stock*

pls continue

well like, you go to https://www.costcoauto.com/ and pick out which vehicle you want and what options

it tells you the invoice and msrp, and it finds you a dealer that participates in your program

the dealer gives you a no-haggle price that is v competitive (you might be able to save a bit more by haggling, but who wants to do that)

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Come And See is a prime example of an extremely well made film that isn't entertaining but completely worth watching.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    why school
    why

too many people are pirating/buying textbooks from amazon.
    you wouldn't download a pizza

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

I had some of the caramel apple twizzlers today. They weren't nearly as bad as I expected.

My friends and I have been experimenting wtih the zillion new Oreo flavors on Friday nights lately. The Red Velvet ones are pretty good! The brownie batter ones are not - they taste like chemicals.

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    I would download a pizza.

I mean, a good pizza.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I know you guys won't agree with me on this, and I feel pretty strongly about criticism, so probably best to just drop it.

For what it's worth, SKFM, criticism isn't really for consumers, its for artists.

I think you take it too personally when you like some piece of media and it gets criticized but you really shouldn't care. If you like it you like it, that's OK. The very best artworks humanity has put out can still be criticized. A good artist wants their work criticized.

My whole thing is not liking unfair criticism, which to me means criticizing a work to make a point instead of actually evaluating that work on its own merit. When I have seen tropes used as criticism, it is usually the former, which really bothers me. But I know I have an idiosyncratic view, that stems from feeling like niche works I really like have been unfairly criticized by people who don't even care about those kinds of works. Gamespot's reviews of the Aki n64 wrestling games, Matt Peckham's review of NWN2, etc. have left a real impression on me and have made me very uncomfortable with reviews by people who don't care about the works they review.

Criticism and review are two different things. They overlap sometimes but are not identical.

That is fair. I think that for video games, they overlap in ways that are harmful to the industry, and I recognize that this is more on the industry than the reviewers/critics, but the fact remains that using what is meant to serve as a product review as an avenue for criticism can have direct negative effects on the publisher. I would love to see game criticism evolve to the point where there are product reviews that are more in the mold of "should you buy this" like consumer reports, and then later, after the initial sales period is over and people have had the chance to play the game, actual critical pieces would come out.

• Options
    there really isn't anything that I wouldn't download

sorry RIAA

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    lel you can buy v expensive cars through costco - audi r8, porsche 911 turbo s, nissan gtr, corvette z06, maseratis, etc

spendin 200 grand on my r8 but savin through costco

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I'm off for school. If I get the next chat, I won't be here to make it.

• Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    ...i did not think my trope comment would take off like it did but..

*eats popcorn*

Plz continue

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »

*eats popcorn*

Plz continue

ah, the old trope-a-dope

• Options
    I don't know what I want for lunch

Except a nap

• Options

Except a nap

I'm gonna have a roast beef sandwich. Hard to go wrong with that.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular

My friends and I have been experimenting wtih the zillion new Oreo flavors on Friday nights lately. The Red Velvet ones are pretty good! The brownie batter ones are not - they taste like chemicals.
    everything is chemicals jacob

water is chemicals

love is chemicals

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Elldren wrote: »

sorry RIAA

Yeah, good luck to them trying to gain control of the word "download".

I download tons of games. On Steam.

• Options
    I would download a pizza.

I mean, a good pizza.
    Elldren wrote: »

sorry RIAA

Narcing on all yall

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular

Except a nap

I want to take a nap but I have a doctors appointment in two hours. Since I don't have a car, it takes me like 45 mins to get there.

It would take me half an hour to get home

Nap plz

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    arrrgh battletech is only like $8k from the next stretch goal come on numbers go up

and then $300k more after that to the stretch goal I really want

• Options
    So we're getting a gender swapped version of Twilight because Stephenie Meyer is sick of the accusations that Bella is damsel in distress. I am not making this up. God I wish I was.

• Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    815165 wrote: »
    Mim wrote: »

*eats popcorn*

Plz continue

ah, the old trope-a-dope

I feel like I said the equivalent of "How much should I tip my circumcision doctor"

(Not really, but man that would be a thread of epic proportions)

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was zooming by at warp 2.6

@Hakkekage will create the new thread
    @Thomamelas is backup

This discussion has been closed.