As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Captain Power and the [chat]ters of the Future

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Finally got back around to playing Last of Us Remastered, after a couple of false starts (I blame sewer levels, as always).

This is some high quality vidya!

the one thing i did not like about tlou (mechanics-wise) was the enemy pop-in/out

i played nearly the whole game super sneaky and did a lot of backtracking, and it felt like i would move to a place with my sneak-o-vision on and all of a sudden i would be surrounded by enemies

i understand this was probably due to hardware limitations on behalf of the ps3, is this any different on the ps4?

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    milski wrote: »
    I hate Tv tropes the most of any non-social media website. The whole idea of it is to reduce things to their commonalities no matter how much it results in misunderstanding the individual works. I literally cannot think of a worse way to evaluate media than to say "these ten very different shows used X trope." It doesn't tell toy anything pf value IMO.

Good writing is always deliberate. It's important for authors to know which tropes they are using and why. Thoughtless, unaware trope usage is a major indicator of amateur writing.

This doesn't mean, however, that identifying tropes is some sort of next-level form of media criticism, which is the mistake that tvtropes users and the internet make constantly.

I think Tvtropes explicitly says trope usage is neutral and serves to identify more than critique. Whether the people who link tvtropes do is another matter, but they mostly exist to let people obsessively file things into boxes, not to judge works for their originality.

This.

A trope isn't a negative thing. It's just a thing. Basically it's the modern slang term for "archetype."

The biggest use for a trope as an idea is for critical looks. I can take two films with similar tropes and use the tropes as a basis of comparison, to demonstrate commonality. And that's where you can get into all kinds of fun things. So looking at The Seven Samurai and the Magnificent Seven they both use the trope of a band of warriors defending the poor. But they differ in that the conflict between the villagers and the warriors in The Seven Samurai is about class, and the conflict between the two groups in The Magnificent Seven is about race.

Is a band of warriors defending the poor really that common?

Sure. It's a bit more common if you express it as an outsider or group of outsiders defend the village and has a long and storied tradition going back to Beowulf. If you're just looking for it in film, then off the top of my head:

The Seven Samurai
    The Magnificent Seven
    Shane
    Mad Max 2
    Sholay
    Quigley Down Under

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Hyper aware Trope usage is a joy to behold, though. Games like Bravely Default or Undertale, where the author is aware of the tropes of the genre and the tropes of how people play, result in very smooth storytelling and gameplay.

Me and my friends were at this RPG convention once, and we played an amazing adventure that poked fun at all the tropes from Mysterious Man In The Corner of the Tavern and pretty much any fantasy trope you could imagine. It could have been horrible, but we had an excellent GM.

I'm not even talking about lampsjading everything or making fun of it (though that can be great). Both the games I listed played many tropes straight and loved the genre, which made the narrative impact of subversions stronger.

Bravely Default is literally a generic "activate the elemnetal crystals to save the world" game with generic characters like the greedy thief or the psychotic black mage. But it knows this, and when it starts twisting, it's way stronger than if it didn't play everything so archetypally.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    At the dentist. Kid next to me rummaging in her left nostril for treats.

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Jesus was the original Robin Hood

The first drafts of the Gospels had a lot more action and swordfights

And tights.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Hyper aware Trope usage is a joy to behold, though. Games like Bravely Default or Undertale, where the author is aware of the tropes of the genre and the tropes of how people play, result in very smooth storytelling and gameplay.

Me and my friends were at this RPG convention once, and we played an amazing adventure that poked fun at all the tropes from Mysterious Man In The Corner of the Tavern and pretty much any fantasy trope you could imagine. It could have been horrible, but we had an excellent GM.

I'm not even talking about lampsjading everything or making fun of it (though that can be great). Both the games I listed played many tropes straight and loved the genre, which made the narrative impact of subversions stronger.

Bravely Default is literally a generic "activate the elemnetal crystals to save the world" game with generic characters like the greedy thief or the psychotic black mage. But it knows this, and when it starts twisting, it's way stronger than if it didn't play everything so archetypally.

A lot of comedy works this way by subverting expectations.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Hmm my sample totally froze because I underestimated the melting point of a 30% sucrose solution

@Arch @Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud

The solution is cryoprotecting though so it.. should be ok? Science is tricky. I know theoretically it is but I'm still all EHRMAHGERD I RUINED IT

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Sometimes people write more complex critical analyses than "good" and "bad".

These on occasion involve discussions of elements that might not even solely determine whether a thing is good or bad.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I hate Tv tropes the most of any non-social media website. The whole idea of it is to reduce things to their commonalities no matter how much it results in misunderstanding the individual works. I literally cannot think of a worse way to evaluate media than to say "these ten very different shows used X trope." It doesn't tell toy anything pf value IMO.

Good writing is always deliberate. It's important for authors to know which tropes they are using and why. Thoughtless, unaware trope usage is a major indicator of amateur writing.

This doesn't mean, however, that identifying tropes is some sort of next-level form of media criticism, which is the mistake that tvtropes users and the internet make constantly.

I think Tvtropes explicitly says trope usage is neutral and serves to identify more than critique. Whether the people who link tvtropes do is another matter, but they mostly exist to let people obsessively file things into boxes, not to judge works for their originality.

This.

A trope isn't a negative thing. It's just a thing. Basically it's the modern slang term for "archetype."

The biggest use for a trope as an idea is for critical looks. I can take two films with similar tropes and use the tropes as a basis of comparison, to demonstrate commonality. And that's where you can get into all kinds of fun things. So looking at The Seven Samurai and the Magnificent Seven they both use the trope of a band of warriors defending the poor. But they differ in that the conflict between the villagers and the warriors in The Seven Samurai is about class, and the conflict between the two groups in The Magnificent Seven is about race.

Sure. It's a bit more common if you express it as an outsider or group of outsiders defend the village and has a long and storied tradition going back to Beowulf. If you're just looking for it in film, then off the top of my head:

The Seven Samurai
    The Magnificent Seven
    Shane
    Mad Max 2
    Sholay
    Quigley Down Under

But the move from group of outsiders defend the poor to an outsider defends a village, you really broaden it. The broader the trope the less it says about the work that it is included in, imo.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

This.

The Seven Samurai
    The Magnificent Seven
    Shane
    Mad Max 2
    Sholay
    Quigley Down Under

But the move from group of outsiders defend the poor to an outsider defends a village, you really broaden it. The broader the trope the less it says about the work that it is included in, imo.

There are a limited number of stories worth telling.

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    Finally got back around to playing Last of Us Remastered, after a couple of false starts (I blame sewer levels, as always).

This is some high quality vidya!

the one thing i did not like about tlou (mechanics-wise) was the enemy pop-in/out

i played nearly the whole game super sneaky and did a lot of backtracking, and it felt like i would move to a place with my sneak-o-vision on and all of a sudden i would be surrounded by enemies

i understand this was probably due to hardware limitations on behalf of the ps3, is this any different on the ps4?

Hmm, I haven't really noticed this, outside of moving into scripted encounter sequences. Once the encounters start you're free enough to deal with it as you will, but they definitely set you up for each engagement as it's own little sandbox. Haven't noticed any pop-in with backtracking though, but I might not be doing as much of it. Seems to me that you explore, get into an area with enemies, take care of the enemies, and then put your weapons away and there won't be any more enemies until you move forward to the next encounter set-piece.

Whether this is a criticism or not is up to the user, I happen to be in the mood for some linear gameplay after a hundred hours in the Metal Gear Solid V mines so I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Hmm my sample totally froze because I underestimated the melting point of a 30% sucrose solution

@Arch @Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud

The solution is cryoprotecting though so it.. should be ok? Science is tricky. I know theoretically it is but I'm still all EHRMAHGERD I RUINED IT

Don't worry. I have the dumbest science story.

I was examining some aquatic microorganisms once and wondered why suddenly everything got all blurry when I turned the focus knob

And I then I realized what I'd done

:sad:

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

This.

The Seven Samurai
    The Magnificent Seven
    Shane
    Mad Max 2
    Sholay
    Quigley Down Under

High Plains Drifter
    The Three Amigos
    Blazing Saddles

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

This.

The Seven Samurai
    The Magnificent Seven
    Shane
    Mad Max 2
    Sholay
    Quigley Down Under

High Plains Drifter
    The Three Amigos
    Blazing Saddles

Every DnD adventure

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I know you guys won't agree with me on this, and I feel pretty strongly about criticism, so probably best to just drop it.

• Options
    I have a great story to post but I'm waiting for the next thread

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    FarCry has earned a lot of goodwill with me.

• Options
    @Blameless Cleric something to add to your holy shit wtf bbq part of youe Secret Santa list

1462166195660437679.jpg

Well here’s a surprise! After spending years undermining the laptop—or at least trying to—with the Surface, now Microsoft is making its own damn laptop. Oh hell yes folks, here is Surface Book. Yes, it’s beautiful.

For those of you keeping track at home, yes, this is Microsoft’s first laptop.

The basics: The Surface Book has 13.5-inch diagonal screen. It has six million pixels, which works out to 267 PPI. And yes, it’s got a keyboard. One of the clicky clack kind. Not a touch cover—a real keyboard. Microsoft also touted what seems to be a very fancy glass trackpad.

And though it’s a “laptop” of the backflipping variety, a bit like a Lenova Yoga, that keyboard also detaches.

It weighs 1.6 pounds and it’s 7.3mm thick. And those number start to sound really crazy when you see how much power there is in here.

It runs a Nvidia GeForce graphics, the latest Intel Core processor, and a 12-hour battery. That battery life with all that power seems almost ridiculous. Yup, it’s got discreet graphics in that teensy body.

According to Microsoft it’s two times faster than the MacBook Pro, and the company says it’s “ounce for ounce” the most powerful laptop ever made.

It starts at $1500, and it’s available for pre-order tomorrow. It ships October 26th.

I’m a little shocked by this Surface Book. It’s expensive, sure, but it’s really powerful and beautifully design in a way that somebody might actually choose this laptop. This isn’t the crap Windows laptop your work gave you, it’s the computer you’re happy to fire up every day. Or that’s how it seems—we’ll let you for sure when we try it out.

• Options
    The skinny on it
    Surface Book
    13.5" Display (6 million pixels / 267 ppi)
    Intel Skylake Processor (upto i7)
    Nvidia Geforce GPU
    (upto) 16GB RAM
    (upto) 1TB SSD
    1.6 pounds
    7.4mm thick
    Detachable "fulcrum" keyboard
    12 hour battery life
    Starts at $1499
    Pre-order starts today, ships on Oct 26th

• Options

This.

The Seven Samurai
    The Magnificent Seven
    Shane
    Mad Max 2
    Sholay
    Quigley Down Under

But even staying with in it as a group you have stuff like Star Trek: Insurrection, Galaxy Quest, The A-Team, The Three Amigos adding to the list. There just happens to be a lot of crossover with the lone individuals as well. And tropes don't say anything about a work. How they are used says a lot more and is usually the source of discussion.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I know you guys won't agree with me on this, and I feel pretty strongly about criticism, so probably best to just drop it.

For what it's worth, SKFM, criticism isn't really for consumers, its for artists.

I think you take it too personally when you like some piece of media and it gets criticized but you really shouldn't care. If you like it you like it, that's OK. The very best artworks humanity has put out can still be criticized. A good artist wants their work criticized.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Man, I need to watch Galaxy Quest again some time soon. It's the best Star Trek movie.

• Options
    YoshisummonsYoshisummons You have to let the dead vote, otherwise you'd just kill people you disagree with!Registered User regular
    Oh wow I thought you guys were joking yesterday about the next farcry going prehistoric.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

Broad and narrow boxes have uses, so I don't see why a broader trope has less viability as a tool for comparison/criticism/categorization.

Like, at the broadest end you have genres, which are hugely useful to set expectations. And at the narrowest end you have specific things like "this dumb strand of anime hair means the character is absentminded," which can let you realize a visual shorthand you only knew subconsciously. Both of those are useful in their own way.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    The skinny on it
    Surface Book
    13.5" Display (6 million pixels / 267 ppi)
    Intel Skylake Processor (upto i7)
    Nvidia Geforce GPU
    (upto) 16GB RAM
    (upto) 1TB SSD
    1.6 pounds
    7.4mm thick
    Detachable "fulcrum" keyboard
    12 hour battery life
    Starts at $1499
    Pre-order starts today, ships on Oct 26th

What graphics card? That is a major factor imo. I hate when announcements leave out the specific GPU.

• Options
    How many viruses does the Surface Book come with?

How easy is it to clean out registry errors?

Does it have the latest version of MalwareBytes?

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

Why is unaware trope usage bad? Couldn't they not know something is a trope? According to tvtropes, literally everything is a Trope.

The key distinction here is "according to tvtropes". :-p

But yes, unaware trope usage is bad. It tends to result in hackneyed writing.

At this point in time, if you're going to have a load-bearing villain in your story (ie: the heroes defeat the villain and it causes his villain fortress to collapse!) you should be aware how cliched that is, so if you're going to do it you will need to poke a bit of fun at yourself, or possibly not do it at all if lampshading it doesn't suit the tone of your story.

If you're going to have a damsel in distress, you should be cognizant of how hyper aware people are about that.

conscious trope usage keeps you from walking into doors. Walking into doors is bad. You should watch where you're going.

But the salient criticism in these cases is that th author dos something bad, not that he used the trope. So why not just focus on the story he actually wrote?

We're not talking about the author's critics though, we're talking about the author.

The author could have avoided writing something bad by being aware of the larger picture and how the tropes he's using have been used before.

You're locked in some sort of grudge match with imaginary critics and I'm talking about writers.

I'm saying that whether a work is good or not is based on its own merits, not if it uses common themes. A good book using common themes will be good. A bad book that is very original is still bad. The tropes seem irrelevant to me.

Only if your audience lives in a vacuum.

To the vacuum-dwelling audience, there isn't even such a thing as a cliche. They have never read or seen anything else before. No matter what you write they will think it is wonderful because they have no frame of reference, no basis for making comparisons, they have never even been entertained before.

Every professional artist would kill for that audience.

Which does not exist.

So.

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    going prehistoric is a thing your mam would do when you smashed a window when she was out at the shops innit

• Options
    Chatters this guy on twitter is giving out Battlefront early beta acess codes

https://twitter.com/asd81_

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    *looks at his Surface Pro 3*

*Looks at the Surface Laptop*

DAMNIT MICROSOFT!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    everything my new phone does that is different from my old one is objectively worse

until i get used to it

then it is objectively equally as good

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Identifying a trope is the absolute bottom of the barrel in discussion of any work but on the internet it is still wildly common in part because it's so easy and has the gloss of faux-objectivity that internet pedants crave. You can say with authority whether a story has a Chosen One or not in it, or whatever. You can also say with authority whether a movie has a red car in it. It's about as useful.

• Options
    Aioua wrote: »

For what it's worth, SKFM, criticism isn't really for consumers, its for artists.

I think you take it too personally when you like some piece of media and it gets criticized but you really shouldn't care. If you like it you like it, that's OK. The very best artworks humanity has put out can still be criticized. A good artist wants their work criticized.

My whole thing is not liking unfair criticism, which to me means criticizing a work to make a point instead of actually evaluating that work on its own merit. When I have seen tropes used as criticism, it is usually the former, which really bothers me. But I know I have an idiosyncratic view, that stems from feeling like niche works I really like have been unfairly criticized by people who don't even care about those kinds of works. Gamespot's reviews of the Aki n64 wrestling games, Matt Peckham's review of NWN2, etc. have left a real impression on me and have made me very uncomfortable with reviews by people who don't care about the works they review.

• Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Identifying a trope is the absolute bottom of the barrel in discussion of any work but on the internet it is still wildly common in part because it's so easy and has the gloss of faux-objectivity that internet pedants crave. You can say with authority whether a story has a Chosen One or not in it, or whatever. You can also say with authority whether a movie has a red car in it. It's about as useful.

*slow claps tropishly*

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Also, no one is criticizing the usage of common themes.

But they are common themes, so you know your audience is going to have read very similar stories so you would strive to make yours special in some way or else it's going to be boring, or even worse, smack of plagiarism.

Failure to do so gets you The Sword of Shannara or Erigon.

Derivative works that are obviously derivative, will be instantly compared to their inspiration, and negatively so.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

My whole thing is not liking unfair criticism, which to me means criticizing a work to make a point instead of actually evaluating that work on its own merit. When I have seen tropes used as criticism, it is usually the former, which really bothers me. But I know I have an idiosyncratic view, that stems from feeling like niche works I really like have been unfairly criticized by people who don't even care about those kinds of works. Gamespot's reviews of the Aki n64 wrestling games, Matt Peckham's review of NWN2, etc. have left a real impression on me and have made me very uncomfortable with reviews by people who don't care about the works they review.

Criticism and review are two different things. They overlap sometimes but are not identical.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Deebaser wrote: »

This.

The Seven Samurai
    The Magnificent Seven
    Shane
    Mad Max 2
    Sholay
    Quigley Down Under

High Plains Drifter
    The Three Amigos
    Blazing Saddles

Every DnD adventure

except Fuck Going to Tornado Island, that was more of a Cursed Ground trope

Deebaser on