As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Elite] Dangerous; Engineers Are GO!

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    What's the standard way to grind out merits through combats these days?

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I'm not sure what CZ merits are for Powerplay these days. I undermine imperial support for that. It's a 30 merit bounty for any Imp Support ship I interdict and destroy. It used to be 15 before the merit buffs.

Pretty sure CZ have also been buffed for merit payouts but Expansion isn't a real important activity for the Archon. We have waaaay too much undermining in our own systems to get too expansive.

Drake on
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    I love how system authority vessels still decide that flying straight into laser beams you are annihilating a pirate with is a good thing.

I also love how they ram and then destroy you over a measly 500 credit fine.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I feel like with 5m it should be easier to figure out a mining build, but they now pretty much require prospector limpets, collector limpets, a good refinery AND cargo space. Neither the Cobra nor the D. Explorer feel like they have enough internals.

Edit: A Type-6, maybe...

Rius on
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Someone said medium mining beams make mining more profitable? How is that? All I can tell is that they slice off chunks abit faster, but it didn't seem that much faster than 2 small ones. Heck I actually tried 2 small and 2 mediums. It will slice out chunks SO fast but doesn't matter unless you have enough collectors to bring them in at a decent rate.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    Someone said medium mining beams make mining more profitable?

This was me. I thought the greater cargo space of a t7 compared to an asp would offset the fact that it only has medium lasers, because you have to fly home less often. Just theorising though.

• Options
    There aren't Large mining lasers anyway, so it's either mediums or smalls.

Mining is FINALLY at a point where it doesn't seem like a waste of time to do. Prospector limpets dramatically increase the number of chunks you get from any single asteroid and collector limpets work decently well. The biggest new change though is refineries will automatically assign materials to empty bins, thank god. #1 quality of life change I didn't even know I wanted.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    There aren't Large mining lasers anyway, so it's either mediums or smalls.

Mining is FINALLY at a point where it doesn't seem like a waste of time to do. Prospector limpets dramatically increase the number of chunks you get from any single asteroid and collector limpets work decently well. The biggest new change though is refineries will automatically assign materials to empty bins, thank god. #1 quality of life change I didn't even know I wanted.

*Table flip*
    Grumble grumble. There should totally be large and huge mining lasers. Rocks don't even take evasive maneuvers. Large and huge mounts should be ideal for equipping heavy mining equipment.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    Right now they'd be useless anyway; Medium lasers don't carve larger chunks, they carve small chunks faster. Apparently even if you have 6 collector limpets at once, they won't keep up with the chunk production of two Medium lasers on continuous fire, though they will scoop all chunks before any expire.

I have two Small lasers and 4 Collector limpets active, and right about when I run out of Weps capacitor is when the asteroid gets fully mined out. It takes 10-15 more seconds to finish scooping all the fragments.

Now, if they change it to where Medium lasers carve off bigger chunks (that can still be collected by limpets), letting you get through an asteroid's bulk faster, then I could see them adding Large and Huge lasers. That's probably the next change to mining I'd like to see.

• Options
    I found this on Reddit earlier and it's a great summary for those getting into Mining in 1.4.
    Refinery: Have to have one to be able to collect fragments and turn them into tons of cargo. Each 'bin' can only hold one metal/mineral type at a time, each fragment has 1-2 minerals in it, each roid has up to 3 minerals types its fragments could contain. The bins fill up a few % at a time from each fragment, when it hits 100% KACHUNK 1 ton of cargo made. A pristine metallic ring will only have 9 different types of metals/minerals:

Painite
    Platinum
    Palladium
    Gold
    Osmium
    Silver
    Indite
    Bertrandite
    Gallite

So if you have at least 9 bins everything will automatically refine until your cargo hold is full. If you have less than that, you'll have to go to the cargo tab on the right panel and vent minerals from the hopper or one of the bins. Gallite, Indite and Bertrandite are worth far less than Painite and the metals, so it is common practice to vent/jettison those three and focus on filling up on the more valuable materials.

Mining lasers: Blows fragments off a roid. Can be class 1 or class 2, latter drains the capacitor faster but also mines faster.

Collector controller: Lets you have limpets out to collect fragments (or other cargo) without needing to scoop them yourself. Fire them off without a scoopable target, and they will hang out by your ship and collect everything possible in range until they expire (duration depends on the controller) or get destroyed crashing into something. If you have something scoopable targeted, they will collect only that one object, then expire immediately! Comes in class 1/3/5/7, which can control 1/2/3/4 limpets at a time. The rating determines duration and range. You can install multiple collector controllers to have even more limpets out at once. 6 collector limpets won't be able to keep up with 2 C2 mining lasers, but they will be able to scoop all the fragments up before they expire.

Prospector controller: Fires a limpet in a straight path wherever you're aiming, attaches to a roid when it runs into one. You can lock onto that limpet and its target status (lower left on HUD) will tell you how much material is left in a roid and what the % composition is. In 1.4, they also cause a roid to yield a LOT more material than if you weren't using them....so use them!

Both prospector & collector controllers use the same ammo, limpets. They take up one ton of cargo each, and can be purchased from the Munitions section in a station. I fill my hold to about 60-70% full of limpets before I go mining.

If you fly into a planetary ring at less than 1 Mm/s, you will safely drop out there and can mine without the constant pirate spawn you get at a RES, just won't get the RES bonus to yield. You want to mine in Metallic rings with pristine reserves. You can also mine in a Metallic belt cluster, but those only have a handful of roids and they spawn NPCs pretty consistently.

When you're all done, sell your goods off ideally at a station that will pay well for them (I like non-Refinery High Tech stations). If you are patient and at a High Tech station, you can take mining missions that will ask for Platinum, Osmium or Painite, the three materials you can only get by mining. They will pay much more per ton than the commodities market (e.g. 300k for 3 tons of Painite), but if you have a large cargo hold it will take some time to get enough missions to sell them off.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    And here's the Type-6 fitting I'm running with. No real room for a shield generator here!

http://coriolis.io/outfit/type_6_transporter/03B4B4D2B3A2A4C2l2l0001-040420C0C0P401.Iw1-kA==.Aw1-kA==

My pristine mining ring location is in-system with and virtually adjacent to a Large population Industrial (Federation, Democracy) station where the demand for all metals/minerals is High. I scouted it out a couple of patches ago but just couldn't get into the mining then. I'd be happy to PM the details to anyone who wants to come out here, it's a nice location.

Rius on
  • Options
    So CQC is pretty bad ass. I definitely feel like a space god when I pull that luke skywalker shit and fly through the things dodging the pewpew. It's even better when you can pull off some slick ass white trash Tatooine farm boy maneuver and turn the tables on your pursuer.

It's also a pretty cool way to pass time while waiting for Powerplay vouchers. Usually I smuggle while doing that, so CQC is possibly going to put a dent in my wallet.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    To my fellow Xboners, we have our own Community Goal that kicks off tomorrow: https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/3nuonf/elite_dangerous_is_out_now_participate_in_our/

1) go to Weber's Gateway in the NOTI system
    2) accept the mission "Aganippe Rush for Weber Gateway"
    3) find and smuggle in as much Aganippe Rush as you can.

I have no idea where to find any.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    so question about power, my max power is currentyl 15.60 Mw and im using something like 15.1 with hardpoints deployed. if i was to take something away lowering the power requirement while hardpoints are deployed will this increase the amount of available power when using laser weapons or is that determined entirely by my power distributer and i can then safely use right up to the 15.6 limit without any negative effects?

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Bigity wrote: »
    Would this be a good mining ship? I've only ever done mining for brief periods of time. It was far more money to kill the pirates at RES.

[Asp]
    U: 0I Point Defence
    U: 0I Chaff Launcher
    U: 0F Electronic Countermeasure
    U: 0A Shield Booster
    S: 1E/G Beam Laser
    M: 2D/F Mining Laser
    M: 2D/F Mining Laser

BH: 1I Reinforced Alloy
    RB: 5B Power Plant
    TM: 5D Thrusters
    FH: 5C Frame Shift Drive
    EC: 4D Life Support
    PC: 4A Power Distributor
    SS: 5C Sensors
    FS: 5C Fuel Tank (Capacity: 32)

6: 6E Cargo Rack (Capacity: 64)
    5: 5C Shield Generator
    3: 3A Collector Limpet Controller
    2: 2A Refinery
    2: 1A Prospector Limpet Controller
    ---
    Shield: 215.70 MJ
    Power : 13.54 MW retracted (72%)
    17.92 MW deployed (96%)
    18.70 MW available
    Cargo : 64 T
    Fuel : 32 T
    Mass : 442.9 T empty
    538.9 T full
    Range : 17.22 LY unladen
    15.17 LY laden
    Price : 14,909,039 CR
    Re-Buy: 745,452 CR @ 95% insurance

Get a 4B refinery with 9 bins. I think you can drop an Asp to 3D shields, can't recall. 9 bins is worth the effort in metallic rings though.

Couldn't drop my Asp to 3D shields, unfortunately. It kept saying hull mass was too high.

I did find out that 2 medium mining lasers were way too much. Quick to mine, but I can barely keep one fueled even at 4 pips to weapons. Probably going to go to 2 Med Gimbal Pulse, 2 Small Gimbal Pulse, and 2 small mining lasers.

Is their any way to keep your drones from hauling in minerals you have jettisoned?

Soggybiscuit on
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    Petesalzl wrote: »
    so question about power, my max power is currentyl 15.60 Mw and im using something like 15.1 with hardpoints deployed. if i was to take something away lowering the power requirement while hardpoints are deployed will this increase the amount of available power when using laser weapons or is that determined entirely by my power distributer and i can then safely use right up to the 15.6 limit without any negative effects?

It's all up to your distributor. Insufficient reactor power is just an on/off mechanic.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Other than the number of bins, do larger refineries do anything else for you?

Heh something like this would be fun: Strip Mining Conda
    Albet insanely expensive. Still like 10 drones can surely keep up with 2x medium mining lasers.

DarkMecha on
    Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    You can squeeze a lot of extra juice out of your deployed mode with intricate use of power priorities. On my Anaconda I'm running at something stupid like 43 MW. Every time I hit deploy there's a little part of me going "I wonder if all my lights are about to turn off"

• Options
    I mean, there have been multiple occasions where I've messed up the maths and gone
    "Haha, miscreants, here comes the deathsphere. Computer deploy weapons!"
    "shields offline"
    "SHIT FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FRAME SHIFT FRAME SHIFT"

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    When I came back to it after a couple of weeks absence, my first hostile encounter began with me attempting to refuel a viper that had just interdicted me.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    Other than the number of bins, do larger refineries do anything else for you?

Heh something like this would be fun: Strip Mining Conda
    Albet insanely expensive. Still like 10 drones can surely keep up with 2x medium mining lasers.

Surprisingly after looking at it I think the Python would be my ultimate mining goal.

This thing fits out so nice!

• Options
    If someone puts together a good mining build for a conda I can test it. I don't know enough about mining really.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    When I came back to it after a couple of weeks absence, my first hostile encounter began with me attempting to refuel a viper that had just interdicted me.

I see your vessel runs on photons. Please open your fuel port and remain stationary for a few moments.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »

I see your vessel runs on photons. Please open your fuel port and remain stationary for a few moments.

And allow me to direct inject into your power plant...

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Archon Delaine 9th Place! (By 1%, suck it Antal!) Man I thought we were gonna be in turmoil this week for sure! Also Emperor ALD? Intersting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMSoo4B2hFU

Drake on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Yea me too, I logged on and not only are we not in turmoil, we moved up a spot! Woo hoo, go pirates!

BTW, there appears to be a Steam-related mouse bug with Elite today - your mouse will get stuck on the map screen and system services screens. Alt-tabbing out and back in or opening steam overlay and closing seem to reset it until you go back into those screens again.

You can run the ED launcher from your steamapps folder directly and this bypasses the problem as well.

Also, woo hoo 4k/t profit selling imperial slaves has got me up a few million today already. Smuggling into one of those D20 stations is annoying as crap though.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Whoa is that black market or legit?

Edit: Aha yes you are smuggling so black market reading comprehension ftw.

Drake on
  • Options
    Black market (torval control system to Archon exploited system)

• Options
    So I realised I can rack up bounties whenever and then only hand them in when I'm at a high rank with Duval/she's at number 1 rating. (presuming I'm reading it right). That's good to know!

Regular bounty hunters: what's your usage of the KWS like? It seems to be a tremendous pain in the hole, having to scan every individual ship and suffer that preposterous power draw. Am I doing it wrong?

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    So I realised I can rack up bounties whenever and then only hand them in when I'm at a high rank with Duval/she's at number 1 rating. (presuming I'm reading it right). That's good to know!

Regular bounty hunters: what's your usage of the KWS like? It seems to be a tremendous pain in the hole, having to scan every individual ship and suffer that preposterous power draw. Am I doing it wrong?

Nope, it sucks, but it can net you an extra 10%-20% on each kill potentially. At least that's what I seem to be getting from it here recently.

• Options
    GhotiGhoti Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I find the KWS pretty useful. It will add to whatever bounty you are already getting. On top of which, I actually have about 2 mil in credits racked up if I ever find myself in Alliance space.

It does become a bit more of a hassle if you have a wing you are attacking and you are already engaged. Usually though, I will scan on my initial approach and then engage.

I suppose another factor would be if the ship you are piloting has trouble turning fast enough to keep the target in front of you. Most of my usage has been in a vulture. I have yet to try using one with the python.

Edited because I cannot spell.

Ghoti on
  • Options
    I wonder how much extra those KWS scans would get you at a compromised nav beacon which is filled with high ranking wanted NPCs.

• Options
    Drake wrote: »
    Archon Delaine 9th Place! (By 1%, suck it Antal!) Man I thought we were gonna be in turmoil this week for sure! Also Emperor ALD? Intersting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMSoo4B2hFU

Not METAL enough!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGXklFmcVK4

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I think my best boost from the KWS was a fully 50% increase in bounties: 1 hour in the high intensity RES in the starter system (including travel time) got me around 200k. The KWS bumped that up to 300k

EDIT - the only time I forego using it is when the wanted ship is already under fire from system authorities and is about to pop.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    I'd prefer it if it was a passive module that simply added to your regular scan.

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I was doing hires near ugrivirii, rank 2 with ald, and I got like ... 7 million from killing big ships after maybe 2 hours of vulture dogfighting spam.

with ald's 100% bonus and 40% bonus for her second spot, I am routinely getting 100-250k credits for pythons/anacondas/fers/dropships.

You can solo everything except anacondas, wait until security forces gang up on anacondas or they attack miners for best results.

EDIT: Yeah, I did a shorter run this time ... maybe an hour or so? In the HIRES right next to Jefferies Port in Ugrivirii (I like it here) and tried to use a KWS this time.
    lxup0mr.jpg

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    Kept losing my joystick bindings and couldn't figure out why. Turns out, if you fire up Elite without your controllers hooked up exactly as they were the last time, it defaults all your controls. It's been that way forever and that's how they intend it to be, as any bug report discussing it is rejected.

That's fucking stupid as fuck.

• Options
    Yeah it's awful. You also can't save a custom binding. Can probably back up the config though?

• Options
    Yeah, I dug into appdata/local and saved the binding file when I was done recreating them.

• Options
    MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Hmm, I've not had this issue and I regularly disconnect my throttle and stick. I wonder if it has to do with there being no viable alternate control scheme except KBAM, so it just switches the type and leaves my joystick settings alone.

3DS: 4098-4243-6127