As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Elite] Dangerous; Engineers Are GO!

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    What happens for me is I have created a custom binding setup for my joystick. It only shows up as an option when I start up the game with the joystick connected - AND the first time I start the game AFTER I have played with it. When I just fire the game up away from the house, it defaults to that control file, but obviously nothing works (no joystick). Then I go into options and choose my 'Custom' binding, which is set up with just KBAM controls.

I have had a setup wiped once though, so now I keep backups.

Bigity on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I have a Type-6 in the garage somewhere and 4 million spacebucks. Might try kitting it for some mining.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    CQC is a really fun time! Finally, a way to spend like 5 minutes in the game and actually do a little thing.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I played for a while today and hit 2 million ish in bounties. It was a lot of fun, but then I couldn't get the res to spawn big ships again :(

• Options
    Oh yeah and I finished my build!!!!!! A7 shields at a station. Pretty sure their disappearance was a bug.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Oh yeah and I finished my build!!!!!! A7 shields at a station. Pretty sure their disappearance was a bug.

How much is your anaconda worth? Half a billion?

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options

Half a billion imperial slaves. :biggrin:

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    There's a notice from Frontier to those out exploring, if that affects any of yous:
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=189800
    Hey guys,

Some of you may know that recently we upgraded the servers that host the exploration data.

Unfortunately we've identified some issues as part of this upgrade and we are advising that everyone stop exploring until we confirm it's safe to continue doing so.

We will be keeping players informed on this thread as we get more news.

I'm very sorry for the confusion caused.

Thanks,

Zac

forumsig.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    So these things are probably totally safe, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo7XzcG8-XE

I mean, god only know what the fuck it is. Tons of speculation as always but no solid answers so far. They are changing though. Since 1.4 the UAs scan nearby ships and then broadcast something that may be the local star coordinates? M. Brookes says this is an "evolution" in their behavior due to player interactions.

But anyway yeah screwing around with things we don't understand is the path to knowledge so I'm all for these guys who call themselves the Canonn Research Group and their experiments. Something tells me this is gonna be A-OK!

Drake on
  • Options
    Hahaha I have to get one of those. I love how obviously sinister they are.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    We totally don't have an Inhibitor/Reaper "shiny alien object" honeypot going on here.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I, for one, welcome our cat-whale overlords.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options

Roughly. Each A rated piece ends up being roughly 50 (although something I can't remember is 70, and life support is closer to 20). The biggest power plant is 150, I got that a long time ago. Weapons are actually the cheapest part, I think the cannon is 10 millionish and the rest put together are probably under five.

I have some dumb stuff in there like a really gnarly fuel scoop which in a practical sense I could get rid of whenever for extra cash. I think that thing is about 20 million on its own.

It cost me 130 thousand to repair from 50 percent yesterday, so it's not totally unmanageable. The repair bots help a lot though. Shit, speaking of bots I should write a repair macro. YES.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular

Roughly. Each A rated piece ends up being roughly 50 (although something I can't remember is 70, and life support is closer to 20). The biggest power plant is 150, I got that a long time ago. Weapons are actually the cheapest part, I think the cannon is 10 millionish and the rest put together are probably under five.

I have some dumb stuff in there like a really gnarly fuel scoop which in a practical sense I could get rid of whenever for extra cash. I think that thing is about 20 million on its own.

It cost me 130 thousand to repair from 50 percent yesterday, so it's not totally unmanageable. The repair bots help a lot though. Shit, speaking of bots I should write a repair macro. YES.

Nice. One spiffy ship!

So, can you get rep just by selling commodities at a station?

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    So I'm mostly interested in bounty-hunting. Right now I'm pledged to Arissa Lavigny-Duval. Is there anyone with better pledge bonuses for huntin'? And can I reach that pledge level without complete poopsocking?

• Options
    GashikGashik Office Communist Registered User regular
    Finally tried out CQC yesterday. I had a lot more fun with that than I was expecting. The Condor is a dream to fly, I need this in the main game like yesterday. I imagine it'll be one of the carried-fighter options for the larger ships when Horizons hits.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    So I'm mostly interested in bounty-hunting. Right now I'm pledged to Arissa Lavigny-Duval. Is there anyone with better pledge bonuses for huntin'? And can I reach that pledge level without complete poopsocking?

I can't remember which Duval is which, but I'm pretty sure that's the best one. You only have to get something like 150 merits to reach level 2 and get the bonus.

• Options
    Yeah so I kind of bounced off the power-play stuff.

What... do I do? Like I am cool with bounties, trading, exploring, whatever the heck. But I don't really get where and how I can get rep with a certain Power. I pledged to Edmund Mahon and then just never really figured it out. Do you not earn credits for doing a mission for your Power? Like I remember kind of giving up and just going for trading for a bit because I wanted to make some damn money.

• Options
    If you don't care about Powerplay I'd ignore it. You can see the merit activities for your power by looking in your power play menu. Normally it's some combination of undermining opponents or shipping a particular commodity.

• Options
    Hunh alright, I think I'll probably ignore it for a bit until I have enough cargo space to actually progress at a pace that's engaging.

• Options

I can't remember which Duval is which, but I'm pretty sure that's the best one. You only have to get something like 150 merits to reach level 2 and get the bonus.

It's a 20% bonus to bounties at rank 2, currently increased to 40% because she's #2.

Seems the only combat missions for her are the expansion ones, and there's nothing going on there right now.

• Options
    Also do you need 10+ cargo space to pick up the reports for her preparation missions?

• Options

It's a 20% bonus to bounties at rank 2, currently increased to 40% because she's #2.

Seems the only combat missions for her are the expansion ones, and there's nothing going on there right now.

Go to a Hudson control system, look for his dudes and blow them up. Five should be enough for you to ding rank two next week.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Oh right, I guess popping faction enemies counts too. Off I go then.

Echo on
  • Options
    Also do you need 10+ cargo space to pick up the reports for her preparation missions?

You can carry as many as you want, the 10 limitation is just how many you can pick up at a time. At Rating 5 for instance, it's 50, but you can still take ten if you want.

• Options
    PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    so sometimes i get randoms sending me messages like glad i found you follow my wake, and i had been ignoring them completely as i usually am smuggling illegals, but the other day i did follow one and then they told me that they could help improve me and i just had to go find them and then the ship just sat there and didnt do anything else. what am i supposed to do with that?

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    So these things are probably totally safe, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo7XzcG8-XE

I mean, god only know what the fuck it is. Tons of speculation as always but no solid answers so far. They are changing though. Since 1.4 the UAs scan nearby ships and then broadcast something that may be the local star coordinates? M. Brookes says this is an "evolution" in their behavior due to player interactions.

But anyway yeah screwing around with things we don't understand is the path to knowledge so I'm all for these guys who call themselves the Canonn Research Group and their experiments. Something tells me this is gonna be A-OK!

That sound is super creepy.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Petesalzl wrote: »
    im getting a thing that when i pull into a station, the repair option is highlighted and says 10cr like i need to repair but it wont no matter how many times i click it. this is killing my ocd which needs to have everything at equalibrium
    Tap right on the suboption that needs to be repaired.

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Arissa Lavigny Duval (ALD for short) is the best for bounty hunting.

You need 100 merits to reach rank 2. At rank 1, you're only going to be able to carry 10 fortification supplies at a time.

With a 100 ton cargo space, you can do this in one sweep if you fast track 10 supply pickups for 1 million credits.

Or, you can get them every half hour, so 10 pickups at each being 30 minutes would mean 300 minutes or roughly 5 hours. You have a week to do this, so it shouldn't require too much effort.

I did I think 1 run of supplies a day and then rushed 3 or so the last day to make sure I made it over. I didn't manage to do any crime sweep but in powerplay we were running a huge deficit that we managed to turn into a surplus, I am pretty sure we're not doing any expansion this time so you might be limited in your crime sweep capabilities.

If we run a surplus again we might be back to expansion next week. I think we're prepping two systems to flip this cycle, if we can get the tonnage out in time.

EDIT: I did another run in the hires last night after playing bafro beta and I was there for ... not even two hours but there were tons of ships. I ended up turning in for between 11 and 12 million at the end of the night. Good haul.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    Man I don't know how you're getting those kind of spawn rates, is it location dependent? I spend a long time waiting for the next ship to show.

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I had a really dry run the other night, where it was all miners and no ISS ever showed up. I'm always in Ugrivirii at the hires about .6 LS from Jefferies port.

but most of the time, there are instances where I am literally incapable of participating in all the kills. Like, I was getting scanned 2-3 times by random "wut u haulin" ships while dogfighting big ships. Wings of 2-3 are semi-common. There will be moments where everything clears, at that point you kind of head toward the "source" (where the nav point is) and then just do donuts or watch for distant laser fire.

I'll admit, the one I did last night seemed super high spawn rate. But the 4-6 million run seems pretty common compared to what I usually run. It'll vary depending on how many big ships they throw at you. Sometimes it's tons of eagles, vipers, adders ... sometimes you can't stop getting Imperial Clippers (they always kit beam lasers, and hurt)

I think hazres has an even higher spawn rate but the one in Ugrivirii is like 600 LS away from Jefferies. I think there's one close to the port on Gende. I am limited to ALD control systems for my hunting for the huge bonus credz. And Gende is a high tech system. I don't think either of these rings are pristine metallic, though. So I don't think anybody bothers with them. Hazres also has the problem of no security spawns to help you. Hazres would require a wing I think, but you have an Anaconda so I bet you'd be alright. I don't go there alone. It's just too many big ships to take alone.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    Thanks for the recommendation, I'll give them a look!

• Options
    edited October 2015
    The big merits in Powerplay are from Undermining opponent powers. @Echo you can get these by destroying specific faction ships in Hostile territory Control systems. Just going out and shooting enemies isn't all there is to it.

Go the the Galactic Powers screen, choose the enemy faction you want to hit, go to the Control tab and that list of planets is your target systems. There will be some information on that screen that tells you which ships are your undermining objectives. ALD's most popular target is my faction, Archon Delaine with their ridiculously one sided Operation Davey Jones. It takes a galaxy of trillions to hold us back!

I'd love to see what Kumo Crew could pull off without this insane opposition. We're like 4% of the PP playerbase and we're holding our space against like the other 70-80%, and even managing slow expansion.

Drake on
  • Options
    Yea, but man am I sick of fortifying.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    so sometimes i get randoms sending me messages like glad i found you follow my wake, and i had been ignoring them completely as i usually am smuggling illegals, but the other day i did follow one and then they told me that they could help improve me and i just had to go find them and then the ship just sat there and didnt do anything else. what am i supposed to do with that?

Those NPCs are sometimes part of quests and stuff. I could never tell if they're true to the Vision or just buggy messes.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Bigity wrote: »
    Yea, but man am I sick of fortifying.

Join Operation Uranus! Check the Kumo Crew subreddit if you aren't familiar with the details. There should be some info in the breakdown for the current cycle.

Drake on
  • Options
    Man, I get that you don't love this game but can you knock it off with the Vision stuff? Not asking as a moderator, just a fellow user of the thread. It's pretty obnoxious.

• Options
    PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    im getting a thing that when i pull into a station, the repair option is highlighted and says 10cr like i need to repair but it wont no matter how many times i click it. this is killing my ocd which needs to have everything at equalibrium
    Tap right on the suboption that needs to be repaired.

i mean just on the main screen that says refuel 10%/refuel all/repair (etc). but i have gone into the actual repair screen and there are no suboptions that need repairing. in fact i bought a brand new diamondback explorer and the moment i opened the station menu before even leaving dock it already had the repair for 10Cr highlighted like it needed repair

• Options
    Yeah, that's a new bug. It's happening to me too. I wouldn't worry about it.

• Options
    That bug has been there since forever.