Options

Once Upon A Time In The [Chat]

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    huh what happened i didn't get a free ride what is this punishment for leaving work early to not have a terrible commute

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    huh what happened i didn't get a free ride what is this punishment for leaving work early to not have a terrible commute

I also hit all my trains on the way home some how. Waited at Pentagon for 1 minute, at Rosslyn for 4. Though the orange line was crowded as fuck.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Echo wrote: »
    dude it is great to ask candidates to do code on a whiteboard
    fizzbuzz type stuff gets failed all the time
    reverse word order in a sentence, or do some image processing on this rectangular image within this other one
    candidates sort themselves very quickly

As a primarily Ruby guy I kind of giggle at text manipulation questions like these.

Reverse word order?

sentence.split(" ").reverse.join(" ")

My knowledge of string processing in python makes me hate website that don't parse text in predictable formats that much more. I got a prepaid phone recently and had to enter the number, which was listed as five three-digit numbers, so I entered it that way. APPARENTLY that was just for ease of reading, and they actually wanted a single, fifteen digit number.

It's like, it would take one line for you to fix that. In Python it'd just be "".join(user_pin.split(" ")), which is perhaps not the most elegant, but seriously come on.

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    there's a dead archer in the tower
    you can't hear it but you can tell
    when the bells ring twelve times in hell
    the bells ring twelve times in this town as well

815165 on
  • Options
    its ok after tomorrow i don't have to suffer through the metro i have to suffer through the fact that they tore up part of the highway

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    its ok after tomorrow i don't have to suffer through the metro i have to suffer through the fact that they tore up part of the highway

As long as you're suffering

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Wash wrote: »
    chanus what was highschool like in the 90s

was it like that Fresh Prince show

did you turn your school blazer inside out to be hip and unique

I remember the 90s.

Gangsta Paradise was played at every sports practice and on the bus to every sporting event.

• Options
    currently suffering through cuddling this needy cat

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    uromv1ioug7d.jpg

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    On this, the day of my daughter's wedding.

Neco on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I recall for our junior prom the class overwhelmingly voted for the song to be "Come as You Are" by Nirvana and the preppie cheersquad girls who organized such events were all bitterly disappointed by that selection.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    On this, the fay of my daughter's wedding.

Your daughter is marrying an elf?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Reversing arrays in powershell is dumb. They need to go back in time to whoever was working on powershell v1 and slap him around a bit for implementing a custom array class just for powershell instead of using .NET's.

$a  = "I am cool at frog ramming."
    $b = $a -split " "
    [Array]::Reverse($b)
    $b -join " "

garbage!

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    i need to be able to react to reactions

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    That donut doesn't stand a chance against diabeetus the level 4 pastry ranger.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    What is a good number of things to learn at once?

I have a ton of math to learn and relearn. I'm still relearning Geometry right now (though I am good at it), but I need to blast past Trig (which I am historically bad at) and get through Calculus 1 at the very, very least.

But I also need to learn programming.

And every other game thing.

And business.

And legal stuff.

And art.

And dating.

Complicated dating.

• Options
    currently suffering through cuddling this needy cat

Truly your life is neverending hell

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    I remember bringing my discman to high school. Holding it just right so it wouldn't skip.

all calling home on the pay phone using a phone card with minutes on it.

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    uromv1ioug7d.jpg
    looks like a terrorist donut to me

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    is there an app that makes it sound like you're slamming the phone down when you hang up a call on your cell phone

i would pay for that

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Incenjucar wrote: »

I have a ton of math to learn and relearn. I'm still relearning Geometry right now (though I am good at it), but I need to blast past Trig (which I am historically bad at) and get through Calculus 1 at the very, very least.

And business.

And legal stuff.

And art.

And dating.

Complicated dating.

What even is complicated dating, and are you sure you aren't going to accidentally learn it when learning math?

• Options
    uromv1ioug7d.jpg
    looks like a terrorist donut to me

My first thought was that that was Arabic

Which seems awesome, frankly, that's exactly the language I would use to decorate donuts

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    is there an app that makes it sound like you're slamming the phone down when you hang up a call on your cell phone

i would pay for that

are you willing to pay as much as a new phone?

because in that case you don't even need an app

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    And then Napster and MP3 players came out and it was like "Arthur C Clarke was fucking right"

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    P10 I can end your suffering.

Bring to me your cat.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    it kind of looks like upside-down aramaic

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Shivahn wrote: »

And business.

And legal stuff.

And art.

And dating.

Complicated dating.

What even is complicated dating, and are you sure you aren't going to accidentally learn it when learning math?

Long-distance relationship with weird schedule stuff and lots of secondary factors.

Also I have almost no experience with dating or anything of the sort, so I am fairly frustrating to deal with.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/06/sports/fanduel-draftkings-fantasy-employees-bet-rivals.html?_r=0
    The statements were released after an employee at DraftKings, one of the two major companies, admitted last week to inadvertently releasing data before the start of the third week of N.F.L. games. The employee, a midlevel content manager, won $350,000 at a rival site, FanDuel, that same week.

“It is absolutely akin to insider trading,” said Daniel Wallach, a sports and gambling lawyer at Becker & Poliakoff in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. “It gives that person a distinct edge in a contest.”

Oh did somebody spoil the results of the games before they were played or something? I don't know how football works.

an employee with non-public data about who was picking what players used that data on a competing site to win big, basically

919UOwT.png
  • Options

And business.

And legal stuff.

And art.

And dating.

Complicated dating.

Long-distance relationship with weird schedule stuff and lots of secondary factors.

Also I have almost no experience with dating or anything of the sort, so I am fairly frustrating to deal with.

Hmm

Yes calculus will help you here

• Options
    I am eating breakfast it is a combination of reheated pad thai, breakfast sandwich, and energy drink.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    ash nazg dunkins

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    uromv1ioug7d.jpg
    Hold out your hand Frodo

It is quite cool

For alas the "Hot Donuts Now" sign was not on

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    @y2jake215 did you ever get into flavortown

• Options
    I am eating breakfast it is a combination of reheated pad thai, breakfast sandwich, and energy drink.

All in one big cup.

• Options

And business.

And legal stuff.

And art.

And dating.

Complicated dating.

Hmm

Yes calculus will help you here

The last time I took a calculus class I got half-way through and realized that I needed to know Trigonometry too.

That does not have a good outcome on a date.

Khan Academy and I will be best buddies.

Oh and also I need to learn French.

But.... Math comes first because I can't get anywhere without math.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Jeez how do people do a job and learn something at the same time

I do work and then go to the gym and then I get home and I'm so mentally tired I can barely do the laundry

How did my parents do that shit while raising three shitty kids

• Options
    Atomika wrote: »
    ash nazg dunkins

Hi!

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

All in one big cup.

They call it, "The Mr. Creosote Special"

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Jeez how do people do a job and learn something at the same time

I do work and then go to the gym and then I get home and I'm so mentally tired I can barely do the laundry

How did my parents do that shit while raising three shitty kids

Fewer added preservatives in foods back then?

• Options
    math is cool we use it every day
    we use it in every possible way
    problems to be solved
    at home or at work

This discussion has been closed.