Gooey wrote: »
    gooey: cheetos puffs, p-please..just let me go

cheetos puffs: NO YOU MUST EAT US

The puffs put forth a stronger argument

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    The only time I ever have to whiteboard things is when Im trying to explain a process to non-technicals.
    They like the pictures and I use bright colors to help hold their attention.

We white board shit all the time because it makes a lot easier to understand hierarchical relationships than just trying to explain it through words. Wouldn't be as necessary if we had better documentation, but lol @ the idea of a software company ever having good documentation.

White board is great for theorycrafting an idea.

Not so great for writing an actual function.

what!

what

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I'm talking to our devs about their hiring process and how they evaluate and such. It sounds like they use a homework test, where they give someone a piece of custom code and ask for certain implementations using whatever tooling and resources they want. For instance, building unit tests around a Jboss Fuse project that checked certain requirements.

How does that compare to the methodology you are using there?

We don't do any takehomes. They end up on glassdoor and people cheat like mofos and if they were long enough to appraise actual development ability, it wouldn't be fair to give them to people.

We have a few hour-long in-person interviews where the goal is less to test general knowledge but more to see if you have the right type of brain for writing code. For example, if a candidate made up function names and told me "I know there's some OS function that does this, I dunno if this is what it's called or if these are the right arguments" then that is totally acceptable. Just making up what you can't look up in a reference during an interview is fine. It's about structure and being able to spitball and implement ideas that are functional very quickly.

somebody once tried to give me a 4 hour takehome and i withdrew from the job posting

we were talking about it at work for javascript and the consensus was that it was probably appropriate for cheaper geographies where candidates accepting offers is less of an issue but for my office it would be unwise

sig.gif
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Yes they wrote it in VB and it took about 8 hours to run from start to finish.
    that's what you get when you use vb

VB is not a great language - the syntax is really obtuse IMO - but it's not inherently a perf problem. In the pre-.NET days it compared well with other runtime interpreted languages (better than javascript even). In the .NET days it compiles down to almost the same thing as C#.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »
    reading over wisconsin rental law in class doobeedoo

confusing opinion by wisconsin's beloved attorney general JB douchehollen says "landlords can include a provision forcing carpet clean because the law says the tenants don't have to deal with repairs from wear and tear but really what does that mean?"

but he concludes his letter by saying

"that said landlords cannot deduct carpet cleaning from a security deposit"

my reading of it leads me to believe that a non standard rental agreement can put the responsibility of cleaning the carpet on the tenant, but that's not what mine does it says he's going to charge us to have it cleaned - which still appears to be illegal

bleh

however I may have discovered a magic bullet to shoot this fucking case in the throat, but it's the slimmest of technicalities

non standard rental provisions are not supposed to be on the same physical page as the lease and mine has those on the same page as the lease

reading through this law is infuriating because all the cool things that I could've counted on are crossed out because lol scott walker

Here's what you do:

List off all the bullshit he's done and things he was supposed to do but not do.

Make them bullet points on a word document, and put a little explanation underneath them, then reference evidence for it.

Then, after that, add in contingency examples, like you have, where that stuff cannot be on the same page.

"if all else fails, here's the applicable law that he directly broke, down to the letter, regardless of the 'spirit' of the law"

You need to go to court, do not settle. You are not going to get fucked by going to court. Worst case, you pay what you owe and that's that. Best case you owe nothing and this guy continues to make a fool out of himself.

are you an attorney? this shit sounds like legal advice.

sounds like override has a good plan from his attorney and should follow that.

I've had to defend myself from shitlords before, just giving advice similar to what I have done or would do.

Just be careful about unauthorized practice of law. You aren't licensed to give override actual legal advice.

I don't think I made any suggestion that I was a lawyer or was giving him legal advice per se, but was highlighting some good documentation and CYA techniques I have found useful.

The propensity of the "IANAL" tag everywhere is a bit over the top, override knows I'm not a lawyer anyways.

But yes, I AM NOT A LAWYER, IF YOU EVER SEE ADVICE THAT I GIVE AND GO "Gee is bowen a lawyer" you should google "site:forums.penny-arcade.com is bowen a lawyer" and look through those and see for yourself I am not one.

You told him exactly what he should do in his legal case.

Just saying maybe be more careful in the future (a message for everyone in chat!)

How often are people sued for giving armchair legal advice in a non-professional setting?

Like sure, if you are a lawyer you need to be careful with your advice.

But if you're not a lawyer, you're not presenting yourself as a lawyer, you're not charging people money, you're not pretending to be some technically-not-a-lawyer?

Has anyone ever gotten in trouble for that?

I don't have specific examples to cite so I suppose I can't answer your question. I'm not going to google for it. I don't know anyone personally that has.

Every state has a law against it. Consequences are definitely possible. Both for the person illegally giving advice and consequences for the person that takes that advice from a well meaning person who is not their lawyer.

Pardon me for pointing it out though, as it appears to have really rankled for some reason.

everyone gives legal advice to friends and family all the time, come on

I'm still going to point it out when I see it here, because I think it's ill-advised and as I said, illegal.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Did I ever tell you guys that one time I rewrote someone's CSV parser?

It was examining character by character then recapping previous 'groupings' in order to parse data from each 'element'.

It had some nifty error correction I guess, like if it was actually a column or part of a text, it'd kind of predict that and move on.

It was nearly 100,000 lines of code through and through.

So I rewrote it and using split, and made it spit out invalid data and told the user to correct it. It was like... 15 lines of code.

It ran in about 30 seconds.

That CSV parser is the kind of shit you get when you hire a PhD to program. Now, not all PhD programmers are like this. But most are. Some actually know their shit and can make me look like I'm the fat kid at recess that no one wants on their kickball team.

I don't even know how you'd do a CSV parser in more than about 15 lines.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

confusing opinion by wisconsin's beloved attorney general JB douchehollen says "landlords can include a provision forcing carpet clean because the law says the tenants don't have to deal with repairs from wear and tear but really what does that mean?"

my reading of it leads me to believe that a non standard rental agreement can put the responsibility of cleaning the carpet on the tenant, but that's not what mine does it says he's going to charge us to have it cleaned - which still appears to be illegal

bleh

however I may have discovered a magic bullet to shoot this fucking case in the throat, but it's the slimmest of technicalities

non standard rental provisions are not supposed to be on the same physical page as the lease and mine has those on the same page as the lease

reading through this law is infuriating because all the cool things that I could've counted on are crossed out because lol scott walker

Here's what you do:

List off all the bullshit he's done and things he was supposed to do but not do.

Make them bullet points on a word document, and put a little explanation underneath them, then reference evidence for it.

Then, after that, add in contingency examples, like you have, where that stuff cannot be on the same page.

"if all else fails, here's the applicable law that he directly broke, down to the letter, regardless of the 'spirit' of the law"

You need to go to court, do not settle. You are not going to get fucked by going to court. Worst case, you pay what you owe and that's that. Best case you owe nothing and this guy continues to make a fool out of himself.

I've had to defend myself from shitlords before, just giving advice similar to what I have done or would do.

Just be careful about unauthorized practice of law. You aren't licensed to give override actual legal advice.

I don't think I made any suggestion that I was a lawyer or was giving him legal advice per se, but was highlighting some good documentation and CYA techniques I have found useful.

The propensity of the "IANAL" tag everywhere is a bit over the top, override knows I'm not a lawyer anyways.

But yes, I AM NOT A LAWYER, IF YOU EVER SEE ADVICE THAT I GIVE AND GO "Gee is bowen a lawyer" you should google "site:forums.penny-arcade.com is bowen a lawyer" and look through those and see for yourself I am not one.

Just saying maybe be more careful in the future (a message for everyone in chat!)

How often are people sued for giving armchair legal advice in a non-professional setting?

But if you're not a lawyer, you're not presenting yourself as a lawyer, you're not charging people money, you're not pretending to be some technically-not-a-lawyer?

I don't have specific examples to cite so I suppose I can't answer your question. I'm not going to google for it. I don't know anyone personally that has.

Every state has a law against it. Consequences are definitely possible. Both for the person illegally giving advice and consequences for the person that takes that advice from a well meaning person who is not their lawyer.

Pardon me for pointing it out though, as it appears to have really rankled for some reason.

I'm still going to point it out when I see it here, because I think it's ill-advised and as I said, illegal.

Sounds like. . . legal advice

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    also i realized that I don't have any entree coupes/bowls

just some soup bowls

fuck i don't feel like going into manhattan to get some

but i also don't feel like asking girlfriend to pick them up after work

gaaaaah

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options

bleh

Here's what you do:

Sounds like. . . legal advice

:P

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    desc wrote: »
    Orphane wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    i shit you not there is someone in the cube pit listening to theremin music

what the hell

how have the other analysts not flayed him yet

can anything made with a theremin actually be called "music"

i posit no

You're just mad because your flippers can't manipulate a theremin properly

this opposable thumb privilege

Orphane on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    @21stCentury

Beyond the delete it later for lulz I'd point out that you are a bit heavy handed with the ellipses.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    The only time I ever have to whiteboard things is when Im trying to explain a process to non-technicals.

We white board shit all the time because it makes a lot easier to understand hierarchical relationships than just trying to explain it through words. Wouldn't be as necessary if we had better documentation, but lol @ the idea of a software company ever having good documentation.

what!

what

dude it is great to ask candidates to do code on a whiteboard
    fizzbuzz type stuff gets failed all the time
    reverse word order in a sentence, or do some image processing on this rectangular image within this other one
    candidates sort themselves very quickly

sig.gif
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular

VB is not a great language - the syntax is really obtuse IMO - but it's not inherently a perf problem. In the pre-.NET days it compared well with other runtime interpreted languages (better than javascript even). In the .NET days it compiles down to almost the same thing as C#.
    i'm being pretty tongue in cheek really

but the way i was taught it, at least, lent itself to over-coding a lot of things, and it doesn't really surprise me how often vb programmes end up being code behemoths

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Did I ever tell you guys that one time I rewrote someone's CSV parser?

It was examining character by character then recapping previous 'groupings' in order to parse data from each 'element'.

It had some nifty error correction I guess, like if it was actually a column or part of a text, it'd kind of predict that and move on.

It was nearly 100,000 lines of code through and through.

So I rewrote it and using split, and made it spit out invalid data and told the user to correct it. It was like... 15 lines of code.

It ran in about 30 seconds.

That CSV parser is the kind of shit you get when you hire a PhD to program. Now, not all PhD programmers are like this. But most are. Some actually know their shit and can make me look like I'm the fat kid at recess that no one wants on their kickball team.

I don't even know how you'd do a CSV parser in more than about 15 lines.

Looping character by character with 4-5 if statements would get you pretty close itself.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2015

bleh

Here's what you do:

I hereby acknowledge that nobody on this internet forum is a lawyer offering me legal advice, everyone is merely discussing hypotheticals and offering legal information

override367 on
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    On the one hand, it makes sense to not have every Tom, Dick, and Harry giving legal advice. OTOH, lawyers writing laws saying it is illegal to move in on their own turf seems unseemly.

I'm always been a big advocate for huge legal reforms though. Our system is overly legalistic in a lot of areas where it really shouldn't be. Lawyers for corporate mergers are fine, or criminal stuff, or some other issues, but divorce, for example, really should be handled differently.

• Options
    On the one hand, it makes sense to not have every Tom, Dick, and Harry giving legal advice. OTOH, lawyers writing laws saying it is illegal to move in on their own turf seems unseemly.

I'm always been a big advocate for huge legal reforms though. Our system is overly legalistic in a lot of areas where it really shouldn't be. Lawyers for corporate mergers are fine, or criminal stuff, or some other issues, but divorce, for example, really should be handled differently.

how do you think divorce should be handled?

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Bloody hell Battlefront looks SO GOOD

• Options
    so bowen wait you had a sewer flood and he sued?

because that's a biggun on this list of damages

the lawyer seems confident I can get that one by simply insisting he prove it was me that damaged it

• Options
    i do hereby aver that i am offering legal advice when i say: stop getting mad at videogames

• Options
    Dankey you company needs better recruiters or something.

I mean really.

Most of the people I interview have PhDs. I am beginning to think this might be our first problem. Something has already broken them.

You're hiring academic people, so yeah.

People who program in the real world usually never go past the 4 year degrees.

The ones that do become teachers or 'researchers'.

I mean you want a programmer, right? You don't want a theoretically programmer.

haha what

This is not an affront to you or whatever.

But PhD people from comp sci tend to be mathematicians first and foremost.

Then it's a lot of comp sci heavy stuff (designing algorithms or data structures).

Very, very, very, very last, would their ability to 'program' in day to day activities, like 'implement a linked list' or 'write something that parses CSV'.

Are you generalizing from your experience or what

I was thinking master's degree but i have noted zero correlation, positive or negative, between software engineer capability and postgraduate education level

I have never met a software engineer with a phd so I guess I have no strong opinion about that

sig.gif
  • Options

what!

what

reverse word order in a sentence, or do some image processing on this rectangular image within this other one

Are you legitimately suggesting that hand writing code is a great way to interview? Even psuedocode is pretty bullshit on a whiteboard.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I hereby acknowledge that despite my extensive personal experience in the craft of knitting, I have neither an academic degree nor a certification from a professional organization or guild and as such any advice I give in the subject should not be taken.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options

how do you think divorce should be handled?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AphxyjrH4SE

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    i do hereby aver that i am offering legal advice when i say: stop getting mad at videogames

It's illegal to change your avatar to an anime.
    FYI HTH IANAL

• Options

what!

what

Are you legitimately suggesting that hand writing code is a great way to interview? Even psuedocode is pretty bullshit on a whiteboard.

yes, vehemently

sig.gif
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited October 2015

i'm being pretty tongue in cheek really

but the way i was taught it, at least, lent itself to over-coding a lot of things, and it doesn't really surprise me how often vb programmes end up being code behemoths

oh yeah definitely. Some languages push programmers in the direction of doing Bad Things. Javascript is probably the all time worst for this (at least of languages that gained any widespread use) but VB definitely does as well.

Despite being (in theory) easier for beginners at first, I think Javascript (and JS derived languages like Flash / Actionscript or what GameMaker uses) actually require more discipline and a more experienced programmer to do well. Because the programmer is getting no help from the language features. It's all on them.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

what!

what

yes, vehemently

everyone has their own process. Hiring is awful always.

• Options
    edited October 2015

The internet is full of people giving legal advice and I can't find a single instance of anyone getting in trouble for it who wasn't charging money or pretending to be a lawyer

eg: a law student selling legal advice for $15 an hour on craigslist is illegal, but in the case of that I found he was just told to stop doing that

override367 on
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    50 weird tricks lawyers dont want you to know.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    It's illegal to change your avatar to an anime.
    FYI HTH IANAL
    negatory this is merely a restoration to an avatar that existed before the great proclamation against anime, and thus falls under on legacy forum legality

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    join me desc-chan 0ll7jxeh6yat.jpg

tkyQfrc.jpg

Am I doing this right?

• Options
    so bowen wait you had a sewer flood and he sued?

because that's a biggun on this list of damages

the lawyer seems confident I can get that one by simply insisting he prove it was me that damaged it

Yeah I was in a basement apartment, the overflow drain was in the laundry room which was on the same floor. Someone apparently caused it to clog by dropping a whole bunch of garbage into it.

Then it flooded, and it just so happened that the grade of the building 'flowed' into my apartment.

They tried to get me for 'water damage' to my apartment and carpet.

I wrote a pretty strongly worded letter to their lawyer advising him to do some research next time, but I'd be more than happy to take some pictures and do some experiments proving it. And then nothing ever happened, they said they were keeping my deposit to fix the blinds in the apartment ($50 deposit) and I let them because I did damage the blinds.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

But Konami!

• Options
    Also NY is not Ohio, so you know, check my sig.

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    divorces

so tidy always

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    and not to mention amicable

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options

what!

what

yes, vehemently

okay

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    *rolls in on a skateboard wearing neon sunglasses and a backwards baseball cap*

override, if you wanna win your court case all you gotta do is to show up in court, flip off the judge, and tell your landlord to go suck it. Then have a dance off with the bailiff.

*hops on a motorcycle and pops a wheelie*

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Okay here's what I'm going to do

I'm going to walk into the court room, when asked my name I'm going to say: "I don't have a name, I am a human being, my person has a name, I won't share it with you because I do not wish to create joinder with you"

then I'll go into maritime law and how I'm not a citizen of Wisconsin

I asked on freetalklive's forums thats what they told me to do and said it works 100% of the time

override367 on
This discussion has been closed.