As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Once Upon A Time In The [Chat]

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    The true purpose of brunch is to fill your empty life with bourgeoisie class indicators.

This black empty husk of existential dread isn't going fill itself.

I feel like this may in fact be the purpose of life, period.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    The true purpose of brunch is to fill your empty life with bourgeoisie class indicators.

ohhh... right.

They don't have Amazon Prime over there, right?

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Of course not, it's to dish with all your fellow upper middle class bffs about the embarrassing sexual encounter you had the previous night, or talk about the latest overpriced fashion accessory from your favorite boutique in the village, or to do a boring monologue because the show's conceit is you're a writer even though it's hard to believe anyone would pay to publish this dreck

This is getting oddly specific.

Show us where Sex and the City hurt you.

It is cultural arsenic.
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Hmm

Spec Ops tried to do a few things

I need to sleep to consolidate thoughts, but my first impression is that by doing too many, it weakened some of the messages and they got muddled.

That's generally the impression I've gotten

Basically an interesting ambitious idea, sooort of fails in the execution, but not completely

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    What does a person need for travelling, anyway

I'm just going to dump my clean laundry pile into a suitcase and be done with it

maybe a toothbrush as well

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

This black empty husk of existential dread isn't going fill itself.

You're so close to "getting it"

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    this is where one has brunch:

DSC_5914.JPG

this is where one has a late breakfast:

img_1675.jpg?w=800

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    simonwolf wrote: »

I'm just going to dump my clean laundry pile into a suitcase and be done with it

You need a belt.

You probably don't have a belt in your laundry pile.
    and... socks are important.
    maybe a jacket or sweater. You should totally bring a sweater for the plane in your carry on.

and a camelbak rarely hurts.

you might as well check the camelbak and belt. cause the TSA are awful.

redx on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Trending "How good will a random person tell me Spec Ops is" over time would be really interesting.

At first everybody thought it was mediocre, because first impressions were that it was a boring shooter with no distinguishing features.

Then it started getting tons of awards and everybody loved it for the subversiveness.

Then extreme backlash hit because a wave of people with no interest in the plot flooded in and thought the game was trying too hard.

And when that wave receded, the game is now looked back on in a somewhat positive light.

It went from mediocre to amazing to shitty to sort of good, and I bet it'll be considered bad if another subversive game comes out and/or shooters fade from popularity even further.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    ronya wrote: »
    this is where one has brunch:

DSC_5914.JPG

this is where one has a late breakfast:

img_1675.jpg?w=800

1) I don't know if it is really appropriate to bring children to brunch.
    2) at that point why not just do dim sum?

• Options
    I got brought to a sunday brunch buffet all the time as a kid. In fact, that's the only time I remember eating brunch, since a breakfast/early lunch combo doesn't make much sense when I don't eat breakfast and either have lunch break at 11:30 (workday) or just eat small meals throughout the day.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    redx wrote: »

You need a belt.

maybe a jacket or sweater. You should totally bring a sweater for the plane in your carry on.

fortunately, as an Australian travelling to South Korea, I will not be dealing with the TSA

I have never heard of a camelbak before, but I do not think it will be necessary for this trip!

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    It's a plastic bladder you fill with water and drink from using a bite valve.

TSA would probably assume it was filled with gasoline and shoot you on sight.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    remember the devil scares of the nineties/00s
    D&D
    Diablo
    Magic The Gathering
    fucking stupid

That UN "cyber-violence" report cites a 2001 article defending Jack Thompson, kalling Pokemon "the killing game for toddlers" and D&D is satanistic. :rotate:

• Options
    redx wrote: »

You need a belt.

fortunately, as an Australian travelling to South Korea, I will not be dealing with the TSA

I have never heard of a camelbak before, but I do not think it will be necessary for this trip!

But how will you stay hydrated and have your hands free for doing things?

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2015
    Kana wrote: »
    Of course not, it's to dish with all your fellow upper middle class bffs about the embarrassing sexual encounter you had the previous night, or talk about the latest overpriced fashion accessory from your favorite boutique in the village, or to do a boring monologue because the show's conceit is you're a writer even though it's hard to believe anyone would pay to publish this dreck

It is cultural arsenic.
    Hmm

I need to sleep to consolidate thoughts, but my first impression is that by doing too many, it weakened some of the messages and they got muddled.

Basically an interesting ambitious idea, sooort of fails in the execution, but not completely

Yeah

It certainly had a couple of amazing moments that I felt were interesting and very relevant and thoughtful

But it also had others that were less so, and sort of weakened the other points. And it's not even necessarily their fault - they just chose interesting ideas that necessarily make others less powerful.
    Later in the game, it becomes clear that the main character is suffering from either some kind of psychosis or PTSD or other mental disorder which is dramatically affecting his perception. Which is a very interesting idea! But then, it makes the plot points a lot less interesting - it's also a commentary on the Middle East, how it can be unclear exactly what's going on, how we build our own stories out of what we know and they may not be true. But in this case, with the mental issues present, it's a weaker point - it's hard to pull out "we don't know what's going on, exactly, and sometimes make bad decisions" when it's so much easier to stop at "crazy people make up stories about what's going on." So at one point, you give the order to use white phosphorus rounds on troops and end up killing civilians. It's clearly a war crime. But at the end of the game, when it's revealed that you have been playing an unreliable narrator the whole time, that message is weakened. It even weakens the other points of the game - up until then, it seemed like PTSD was beginning to manifest and take its toll. But at the end, it's suggested that the mental symptoms were present since the very beginning, so rather than being a story about how war can exact a mental toll on people (which is explicitly mentioned in some of the endings - 'men like us can't go home'), it becomes a story of a crazy person who was always a little unhinged.

Now, those plots are all still there. I'm still reading it as the story of a soldier who got PTSD, got embroiled in a complicated conflict, and through trying to be good, committed war crimes. I think that's an interesting story. And the other readings are very interesting too. But I feel that having them all together makes each individual idea less compelling.

Shivahn on
  • Options

Triple check to make sure you've packed your chargers.

imo don't bring any keys you won't need to get back into your place, because you'll inevitably leave them in your bag somewhere and panic when you can't immediately find them.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Jesus if you even mention Battlefront on twitter people spam you with early access code begging.

All I asked was what platforms my friends were getting it on

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    D&D
    Diablo
    Magic The Gathering
    fucking stupid

That UN "cyber-violence" report cites a 2001 article defending Jack Thompson, kalling Pokemon "the killing game for toddlers" and D&D is satanistic. :rotate:
    WHAT

• Options
    edited October 2015
    one gays invented brunch and your royalties fund our cabals of drag queen government infiltrators
    two brunch is for getting literally anything as benedict including crab cakes, bagels, eggs, asparagus, spinach fritatta, whatever you want, you can benedict that shit and it will be good
    three drinking is secondary to the first two unless you're a lush and even then if two mimosas gets you drunk in the morning then maybe you should just pack your weak ass bags and go back to dennys

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

It is cultural arsenic.
    Hmm

Yeah

It certainly had a couple of amazing moments that I felt were interesting and very relevant and thoughtful

But it also had others that were less so, and sort of weakened the other points. And it's not even necessarily their fault - they just chose interesting ideas that necessarily make others less powerful.
    Later in the game, it becomes clear that the main character is suffering from either some kind of psychosis or PTSD or other mental disorder which is dramatically affecting his perception. Which is a very interesting idea! But then, it makes the plot points a lot less interesting - it's also a commentary on the Middle East, how it can be unclear exactly what's going on, how we build our own stories out of what we know and they may not be true. But in this case, with the mental issues present, it's a weaker point - it's hard to pull out "we don't know what's going on, exactly, and sometimes make bad decisions" when it's so much easier to stop at "crazy people make up stories about what's going on." So at one point, you give the order to use white phosphorus rounds on troops and end up killing civilians. It's clearly a war crime. But at the end of the game, when it's revealed that you have been playing an unreliable narrator the whole time, that message is weakened. It even weakens the other points of the game - up until then, it seemed like PTSD was beginning to manifest and take its toll. But at the end, it's suggested that the mental symptoms were present since the very beginning, so rather than being a story about how war can exact a mental toll on people (which is explicitly mentioned in some of the ending - 'men like us can't go home,' it becomes a story of a crazy person who was always a little unhinged.

Now, those plots are all still there. I'm still reading it as the story of a soldier who got PTSD, got embroiled in a complicated conflict, and through trying to be good, committed war crimes. I think that's an interesting story. And the other readings are very interesting too. But I feel that having them all together makes each individual idea less compelling.

@The Ender

Partially ^, though I do want to say I liked it overall, despite my complaint of muddled messages

Also wanted to respond to your nested spoiler
    The game is intended to ask you a fundamental question: why did you go out and buy some Clancy-esque shooter? One with no pedigree, even, and mediocre visuals / gameplay? What is it about the specific genre & subject matter that made you want to impulse buy this game?

Now, if you didn't buy it impulsively when it came out, the question become mostly incoherent and then you've basically just played a mediocre shooter with no interesting pay-off. So that sucks. And the game goes further, and actually assumes that you bought it as a power fantasy and criticizes you in a very blunt manner for doing so - which can feel profound if the game made the correct prediction, but really rubs a lot of people the wrong way if they did not buy it for that reason (for example: people who just heard it was a good / affecting experience and wanted to see it for themselves).

Personally, I thought it was great, and it caused me to re-examine and ultimately change my opinion on graphic violence depicted in media & games. YMMV.
    I don't often play shooters - I bought this on sale specifically because I knew it had somewhat subversive messaging, portrayed a complex conflict, and just generally portrayed how completely fucked shooter storylines can be and how conflict is a terrible thing that exacts horrific tolls, so it did rub me a bit the wrong way with that assumption, but I can't really blame it for attempting :P

• Options
    edited October 2015
    one gays invented brunch and your royalties fund our cabals of drag queen government infiltrators
    two brunch is for getting literally anything as benedict including crab cakes, bagels, eggs, asparagus, spinach fritatta, whatever you want, you can benedict that shit and it will be good
    three drinking is secondary to the first two unless you're a lush and even then if two mimosas gets you drunk in the morning then maybe you should just pack your weak ass bags and go back to dennys

Denny's isn't where you go if you can't handle your alcohol, Denny's is where you go if you're drunk at 3am and there isn't an iHop nearby.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    No one died in Ben Hur?

I don't even know anymore

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    It scares me when I score well on clickhole quizzes.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    milski wrote: »

Denny's isn't where you go if you can't handle your alcohol, Denny's is where you go if you're drunk at 3am and there isn't an iHop nearby.
    hmmm accurate
    i think the only time we ever go to denny's at 3 am is if iHop is full up

• Options
    D&D
    Diablo
    Magic The Gathering
    fucking stupid

WHAT

https://popehat.com/2015/09/28/revisiting-the-un-broadband-commissions-cyberviolence-report/

• Options
    evilbob wrote: »

I feel like Clickhole suffers from a very weird sort of problem. In my mind, what happened was that The Onion spun off the two or three writers and the one editor that did the really bizarre Onion articles, and told them to make wacky clickbait.

It's not that the content is bad, it's just that everything on Clickhole is the sort of surreal humor you'd occasionally see on The Onion, while The Onion has much less of it (if any).

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Jesus if you even mention Battlefront on twitter people spam you with early access code begging.

All I asked was what platforms my friends were getting it on

Got a beta key from my DICE buddy. Runs flawlessly on my rig.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    sushi lunch from a sales rep woo

I feel like I understand this guy
    Swiss Franc Trader: can u put 6m swiss libor in low pls?

Primary Submitter: NO

Swiss Franc Trader: should have pushed the door harder

Primary Submitter: Whats it worth

Swiss Franc Trader: ive got some sushi rolls from yesterday?

Primary Submitter: ok low 6m , just for u

Swiss Franc Trader: wooooooohooooooo[,] 0.01%? thatd be awesome

Swiss Franc Trader: perfect[.] u r a nice man

aRkpc.gif
  • Options

I feel like Clickhole suffers from a very weird sort of problem. In my mind, what happened was that The Onion spun off the two or three writers and the one editor that did the really bizarre Onion articles, and told them to make wacky clickbait.

It's not that the content is bad, it's just that everything on Clickhole is the sort of surreal humor you'd occasionally see on The Onion, while The Onion has much less of it (if any).
    the onion is long form existential hell
    clickhole is the twitter version we truly deserve

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

It is cultural arsenic.
    Hmm

Yeah

Later in the game, it becomes clear that the main character is suffering from either some kind of psychosis or PTSD or other mental disorder which is dramatically affecting his perception. Which is a very interesting idea! But then, it makes the plot points a lot less interesting - it's also a commentary on the Middle East, how it can be unclear exactly what's going on, how we build our own stories out of what we know and they may not be true. But in this case, with the mental issues present, it's a weaker point - it's hard to pull out "we don't know what's going on, exactly, and sometimes make bad decisions" when it's so much easier to stop at "crazy people make up stories about what's going on." So at one point, you give the order to use white phosphorus rounds on troops and end up killing civilians. It's clearly a war crime. But at the end of the game, when it's revealed that you have been playing an unreliable narrator the whole time, that message is weakened. It even weakens the other points of the game - up until then, it seemed like PTSD was beginning to manifest and take its toll. But at the end, it's suggested that the mental symptoms were present since the very beginning, so rather than being a story about how war can exact a mental toll on people (which is explicitly mentioned in some of the ending - 'men like us can't go home,' it becomes a story of a crazy person who was always a little unhinged.

I forgot exactly when spec ops came out, but it could definitely have taken a tip from season 1 of Homeland. The main character, the hero, is manic, paranoid, probably delusional. But that's not just to give the authors a "make Carrie do something crazy" card whenever they need to shake up the plot, it's because the whole story is about the national insanity and paranoia of America following the 9/11 attacks and America's willingness to act wildly out of its own realistic interests to prevent another attack. Carrie being crazy IS the message.

Spec Ops wants to do something similar I think, but its writers don't make that key connection that Homeland did. So they try to add elements, when really the best thing they could have done is kept shaving them away and keep focused on just that one core idea and really explore that all the way.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    brunch is a more attractive meal party than dinner because it can be set at a reasonable hour and still give you plenty of time to clean up afterwards. It also lends itself to fun activities afterwards rather than everyone staring at each other blinking and trying to stay awake, which is often the case after dinner. Since it's earlier in the day, coffee is easier for most people than it would be after dinner, and can be used to fuel board games, watching a movie, walking to a park, etc.

brunch is never a regular meal, so it is inherently unusual and celebratory. drunkeness is not necessarily the aim of a brunch in one's home, anymore than drunkeness is the aim of a dinner party. However, alcohol during the afternoon adds to the celebratory feeling of the meal

it is also preferable to drink during the day as you sober up before bed and the alcohol no longer disturbs your sleep cycles.

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular

i would feel visceral shame if i was scooter

• Options
    D&D
    Diablo
    Magic The Gathering
    fucking stupid

WHAT

https://popehat.com/2015/09/28/revisiting-the-un-broadband-commissions-cyberviolence-report/
    In this, followers of the god Cazic-Thule inflict “pain, misery, violence, torture, living sacrifice.
    Man no one follows Cazic-Thule. Bitch tier god. Rallos Zek master race.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    brunch is a more attractive meal party than dinner because it can be set at a reasonable hour and still give you plenty of time to clean up afterwards. It also lends itself to fun activities afterwards rather than everyone staring at each other blinking and trying to stay awake, which is often the case after dinner. Since it's earlier in the day, coffee is easier for most people than it would be after dinner, and can be used to fuel board games, watching a movie, walking to a park, etc.

brunch is never a regular meal, so it is inherently unusual and celebratory. drunkeness is not necessarily the aim of a brunch in one's home, anymore than drunkeness is the aim of a dinner party. However, alcohol during the afternoon adds to the celebratory feeling of the meal

it is also preferable to drink during the day as you sober up before bed and the alcohol no longer disturbs your sleep cycles.

I feel like both the radical gay and reasonable gay brunch has been presented.

Now the straights are left to figure out which is true.

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular

i feel like that's more a problem for the Onion tho

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I did brunch one time but it was just breakfast with alcohol so it probably wasn't Real Brunch because it didn't suffuse my existence with the shared downfall of white people the previous evening.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Review is the most harrowing show I've ever watched.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    those Singapore dumpling breakfast nooks are, in my experience, super good

they should bring them over here

we should challenge some Western cultural paradigms about breakfast

• Options
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I did brunch one time but it was just breakfast with alcohol so it probably wasn't Real Brunch because it didn't suffuse my existence with the shared downfall of white people the previous evening.

But that's the best part.

This discussion has been closed.