As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Lego] Overwatch sets incoming!

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Can anybody recommend a good off-brand Lego-compatible baseplate maker?

I'm going to start building winter-themed displays as holiday decorations and I want some large white baseplates (which Lego doesn't seem to make anymore).

Is Bricklink an option? Looks like they've got some white 48x48s up for sale.
    Bit pricey though.

Smaller plates like 16x32 seem a bit less spendy.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    https://www.brik.co/products/lego-wall-brik-tile is pretty cheap, though you'll have to work out what to do with the sticky stuff on the back. (just not remove the protective cover, I guess).

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

I'm going to start building winter-themed displays as holiday decorations and I want some large white baseplates (which Lego doesn't seem to make anymore).

Bit pricey though.

The 16x32 on Bricklink is perfect. Thank you!

Looks like I can also get some old advent calendars and other winter-themed minifigs. Sweet. Thanks, see317.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    Have you seen theses?

http://www.i-brix.com/

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

Why would you link this.
    WHY WOULD YOU SHOW THIS TO ME.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Did everyone see the lineup of new Lego Batman blind bags?
    8L3sFaV.jpg

• Options
    I'm not as excited about these as I thought I'd be. The Jor El and Zod are amazing, but I don't need to own them. Wonder Twins without Gleek is a let down.
    I'll probably get a few cheap dolphins. And the Killing Joke Joker just because he'll go good with my Batman wearing the swim ring.

Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Hugo Strange, Killer Moth, and Blight are definitely highlights for me (Probably Killing Joke Joker as well) but did we really need Jor El and Zod? or Mer-Batman? Still waiting on Lego Crazy Quilt to complete my Z-Team Lego.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Ken O wrote: »
    Have you seen theses?

http://www.i-brix.com/

Are they actually out yet or are they stuck in preorder?

• Options
    The fact that I'm slowly building a city street makes me excited for the strangest mundane things like mops, bowls, and plungers.

Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i'm really tempted to buy that lighting kit and try to rig my F40 and vw bug with some lights. that could be fun.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    Hugo Strange, Killer Moth, and Blight are definitely highlights for me (Probably Killing Joke Joker as well) but did we really need Jor El and Zod? or Mer-Batman? Still waiting on Lego Crazy Quilt to complete my Z-Team Lego.

Apparently is not Blight, but Doctor Phosphorous.

(is totally Blight tho)

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Phosphorous came first. And I'll always hate him because of what happens in Starman.

Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    Suddenly I find myself browsing Bricklink for more specific parts while a cache of lovingly-used secondhand bricks sits in a pyrex in the oven as a bath of oxyclean and hydrogen peroxide warms up to counteract UV yellowing.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Suddenly I find myself browsing Bricklink for more specific parts while a cache of lovingly-used secondhand bricks sits in a pyrex in the oven as a bath of oxyclean and hydrogen peroxide warms up to counteract UV yellowing.

Don't turn the oven too high unless you just want one big brick

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

Does that actually work?

Reversible reactions are amazing.

• Options

Does that actually work?

Yeah actually

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    The kids spotted the winter village train while something was going into the attic so apparently it's full on Christmas time now. Built and trundling around the table.

Choo choo!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    2018's Modular Building may have leaked, and it is not what I was expecting
    uLKNt04.jpg

INTERESTING, huh? The fact that they're using expressive rather than blank faces seems like evidence against it being real. But. It also uses a new flower piece, which has also appeared in leaks of upcoming 2018 Friends sets...

I'm glad it appears smaller, the size of Assembly Square and Ninjago City were making them prohibitive, but this one shouldn't be more than $120ish.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I'm assume that they liked the feel of the faces in Ninjago City. And they're right to do so, basic Lego faces are kind of ugly nowadays.

• Options
    2018's Modular Building may have leaked, and it is not what I was expecting
    uLKNt04.jpg

INTERESTING, huh? The fact that they're using expressive rather than blank faces seems like evidence against it being real. But. It also uses a new flower piece, which has also appeared in leaks of upcoming 2018 Friends sets...

I'm glad it appears smaller, the size of Assembly Square and Ninjago City were making them prohibitive, but this one shouldn't be more than $120ish.

Excellent. I can finally build a Lego re-creation of Edward Hopper's Nighthawks.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I've been slowly going through Assembly Square over the last few days. It feels like their quality control was slipping there, there were multiple pieces that had two extras. Yeah, I know how that sounds, but finding too many extras usually means that I need to go over the instructions again to see what I missed. I actually did manage to find a place where I used the wrong piece, but some of them were legitimate duplicate extras.

Also, the bird was messed up, though I'd imagine it'd be pretty hard to get it right.

• Options
    Would that be a corner? the left side seems kind of weird.

I like to ART
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Would that be a corner? the left side seems kind of weird.

Looks like there are stairs to get up.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Ahh that makes sense, I thought the building to the left was an existing modular.

I like to ART
  • Options
    It is! That's the side of Assembly Square, I think? The side of this one is a staircase, much like Parisian Restaurant's side being an open dining area.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Does that actually work?

Yeah actually

One of the pieces didn't get a full treatment because it was floating or stuck to another piece.

Serendipitously, this gives a good comparison photo for how effective the treatment is otherwise:

yfqqZZIl.jpg

I wasn't exactly precise in my measurements. I kinda eyeballed it. But it was about 1 tablespoon oxyclean, two cups hydrogen peroxide, enough warm water to fully submerge the pieces, and two hours in the oven at 200 degrees F. Then it sat and cooled overnight.

Very late edit: ABS plastic is only rated up to 176F, so heating it at 200 was a mistake. Luckily I only lost one piece (which had fallen to the floor of my oven.)

Feral on

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

Bit pricey though.

The 16x32 on Bricklink is perfect. Thank you!

Looks like I can also get some old advent calendars and other winter-themed minifigs. Sweet. Thanks, see317.

Now I'm using stud.io to plan out some models.

This rabbit hole got very deep very quickly.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    So... Some early set descriptions of Infinity War sets are out.... And there are a lot of them, covering a multitude of scenes. And I think a couple even spoiled stuff in The Black Panther, maybe. So if that is a big deal for you, be careful.

I know Lego has spread misinformation on movies in the past, but I doubt Infinity War will have that kind of fake out.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Can we talk knock off lego stuff in here? I tried out one of those Macfarlane sets they have now at Walmart, The Rick and Morty Garage and Spaceship

The figs aren't bad, ( Rick is actually a neat sorta gummy style build for half of him)
    And I will say for just general purpose, you can gain a ton of flat-top smooth big pieces from it, and they were the better made pieces.

The downside is I have to use the terms better made pieces, Some of the pieces are a nightmare to fit together, and then pop back off at the slightest nudge, the Garage itself is actually nice, partly because is where all the flat smooth pieces went.

The ship tho, man once built thing kinda looks like a crappy Happy meal toy, and Only Morty fits, it has 2 seats, but Rick is too tall.

You do get a Plumbus that Lego fig's can hold tho, so I'm torn.

Don't get for full price at very least, but on sale, maybe.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    BTW one Lego piece fell on the bottom of my oven and came out misshapen.

This led me to do more thorough research on Lego heat tolerance.

ABS plastic is rated to 176 degrees F, so I wouldn't exceed that temperature when bleaching.

Most of the tutorials online recommend using UV light instead of heating, but it's November in Seattle soooooooo... maybe next summer.

Feral on

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    BTW one Lego piece fell on the bottom of my oven and came out misshaped.

ABS plastic is rated to 176 degrees F, so I wouldn't exceed that temperature when bleaching.

I thought most of the reversable reactions were very well catalyzed by UV light and a warm day. I've always read that just putting your legos in the peroxide bath and then outside in the sun will do the trick.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    tbloxham wrote: »

I thought most of the reversable reactions were very well catalyzed by UV light and a warm day. I've always read that just putting your legos in the peroxide bath and then outside in the sun will do the trick.

Yep, I read that too.

It's November, and I'm in Washington.

Feral on

• Options
    The new forest/police sets have bee hives in them that can fit over mini-fig heads. I didn't know I needed them, but I need them.

Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Yep, I read that too.

blacklight/full spectrum light?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

Yep, I read that too.

blacklight/full spectrum light?

Might work!

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    l_lego-60171-city-politie-22085692870.png?w=640&ssl=1

is the tree head new as well?

l_lego-60174-city-politie-41576030839.png?w=640&ssl=1

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Oh shit.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

This discussion has been closed.