As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fashion] Turn to the left! [Fashion] Turn to the right!

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Do they have bells at US universities

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Southern universities, yes.

And it's spelled Belles

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
  • Options
    palpatine.jpg

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    After seeing that photo of Harrison Ford I just want all my clothes to magically turn into that.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Waxing hiking boots is very relaxing. And smells lovely.

• Options
    Liiya wrote: »

Just make sure to stop when they're full. Right now my boots are waning and I'm getting close to a new boots phase.

:cool:

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Waxing boots

Are they fur boots

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Just make sure to stop when they're full. Right now my boots are waning and I'm getting close to a new boots phase.

Booooo

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Booooo

Whatever, you just jelly I got to it first

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Am I right in thinking that different brands have vastly differing sizes?

I tried a new pair of jeans today that are the same size as my current jeans which are a little loose as I've lost some weight. The pair I tried on today would not fit at all!

They were the same size and cut but different brands and the new pair were from a budget retailer. Just wondering if this is down the the different brands measuring differently etc

SharpyVII on
  • Options

Booooots!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Were you saying 'booooo' or 'booooots'?

forumsig.png
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    SharpyVII wrote: »

I tried a new pair of jeans today that are the same size as my current jeans which are a little loose as I've lost some weight. The pair I tried on today would not fit at all!

They were the same size and cut but different brands and the new pair were from a budget retailer. Just wondering if this is down the the different brands measuring differently etc

Women's sizing started this trend, but menswear is guilty of it now as well. "Vanity" sizing is a problem; a pair of men's "34" waist pants will measure anywhere from 34 to 38" depending on brand, and for some brands, store where you bought it. (WalMart is "famous" for having special runs of brands that are incredibly cheap and incredibly crap, for instance.)

As well, even taking something like basic Levi's jeans, same store etc, fit will vary between styles due to crotch rise, how this and that is cut, etc, even if the numbers are the same. I can't wear a 34 501, for instance, but can do a 505. (Well, I mean I could, but you'd know my religion from across the street, as they say.)

Edit: Also, "S/M/L" etc are absolutely arbitrary and per-brand, and are only a general guideline.

dporowski on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

While dp is correct jeans also stretch to some degree also. And since there are no real formal methods of sizing clothes, they might be measuring from different points.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

While dp is correct jeans also stretch to some degree also. And since there are no real formal methods of sizing clothes, they might be measuring from different points.

Definitely true. If "didn't fit at all" is like, "oh damn that's kinda tight" that's one thing, but "well, I need an extra 2 inches to button it" is probably not stretch.

Then again, the fanciest I get with jeans is bog-standard Levi's, since I am a simple old-fashioned sort. So I defer to those fancier than I if such things can actually happen at that scale.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Near as I can tell, manufacturers determine clothing sizes by throwing darts at a board that's anointed in goat's blood in the light of the new moon.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Thanks everyone!

To be fair I tried one pair on then got mardy because they didn't fit. My fiancée is taking me shopping on Monday so I'll go to some proper clothes shops and try various sizes/cuts.

It's very annoying, having two pairs of jeans which are the same size and cuts but different brands. One pair is almost falling off me without a belt and the other I can barely fasten up!

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    On topic story: for Christmas past I received a flannel shirt from my parents, sized to a medium. Stuff like that I tend to wear in a small, open and over another shirt, but I tried it on anyways. Fit like a tent, and weirdly too. About twice as much material in the arm as necessary. Luckily they included a gift receipt to the Bass Pro Shop they got it at.

Now I've never been in a Bass Pro Shop before. Pretty neat. Some nice stuff. But literally nothing fit me. Their smalls were huge, and they don't stock extra small. (I didn't try the kids section.) This was a very strange experience - I'm not a tiny guy. 5'11", 160lbs. And everything was too big. Very confusing.

When I told a friend about this, he just responded, "Yeah, it's Bass Pro. These are my people. You ever seen a skinny fisherman?" (I have. Friend's boyfriend is a rail and is practically part fish himself.)

So I traded it for a flannel shirt's worth of peanuts and jerky.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Good to know bartering is alive and well in America.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    MadEddy wrote: »
    Near as I can tell, manufacturers determine clothing sizes by throwing darts at a board that's anointed in goat's blood in the light of the new moon.

that assumes there is internal consistency

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »

Definitely true. If "didn't fit at all" is like, "oh damn that's kinda tight" that's one thing, but "well, I need an extra 2 inches to button it" is probably not stretch.

Then again, the fanciest I get with jeans is bog-standard Levi's, since I am a simple old-fashioned sort. So I defer to those fancier than I if such things can actually happen at that scale.

I've bought a pair of Levis 505s in a dark blue that fit really nice, so while I was in the store I figured I'd get another pair of the exact same size and style but in a lighter blue. Couldn't get them up my thighs. Tried multiple pairs, they were all the same. All the same brand, size, and fit, and the dark blues all fit perfectly, light blues were all about three sizes too small.

Shit is fucked.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Was the dark blue "raw denim"? Because those usually fit a bit different

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    While I'm not a Dr. Who fan, I might have to get this dress.

OFVlpY7.jpg

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    Was the dark blue "raw denim"? Because those usually fit a bit different

Nah, not "raw", or even raw. Just a darker wash on standard Levis denim, nothing fancy. And as far as "fit a bit different", this was literally a couple of sizes different. Not just snug, or even tight, I could not pull them up my thighs. I assumed they must have been sized wrong which is why I tried a bunch of pairs in both colours. It's okay though, because I got two pairs of nice jeans that fit well last year in Melbourne when I was there for AusPAX.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Different washes of jeans often fit differently. Black denim is especially tight for some reason, at least in my experience.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    MadEddy wrote: »
    Different washes of jeans often fit differently. Black denim is especially tight for some reason, at least in my experience.

Yeah, I need to size down if I ever wear anything other than black

Which I mean, doesn't happen, but

Straightzi on
  • Options
    Clearly I don't know shit about how to make clothes, because I cannot understand how the colour of the dye affects the cut of the pant.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Just checking in to make sure everybody is still hella smokin'.

• Options
    Juggernut wrote: »

I think you want the vape thread.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular

Nooooooo tell me that's not a thing

• Options
    ContinentalContinental Invisible Presence Melty Molten GalaxyRegistered User regular
    I don't smoke, but I am alive and well.

• Options

Nooooooo tell me that's not a thing

It kind of died out but it was a hell of a ride while it lasted.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=355wQxta2Xo

People Wear a Suit for a Week.

Makes me want to go out and buy a suit.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »

I've bought a pair of Levis 505s in a dark blue that fit really nice, so while I was in the store I figured I'd get another pair of the exact same size and style but in a lighter blue. Couldn't get them up my thighs. Tried multiple pairs, they were all the same. All the same brand, size, and fit, and the dark blues all fit perfectly, light blues were all about three sizes too small.

Shit is fucked.

I had the exact same problem! I told my parents to buy me jeans for Christmas last year because I wear them to work every day- they bought me the same exact style number that I had before, same exact size, and I felt really dumb when I tried to put them on and they wouldn't fit. Glad it wasn't just me!

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=355wQxta2Xo

People Wear a Suit for a Week.

Makes me want to go out and buy a suit.

putting on my three piece made me want to maneuver a hostile takeover of a fortune 500 in the morning and knife fight a guy in an alleyway at night

a suit changes you, man

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    I forgot to wear a belt today and I feel very exposed.

Might as well roll with it and just drop trow. What are they going to do to? Fire me?

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    I forgot to wear a belt today and I feel very exposed.

Might as well roll with it and just drop trow. What are they going to do to? Fire me?

Clearly, it is fated.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Clearly I don't know shit about how to make clothes, because I cannot understand how the colour of the dye affects the cut of the pant.

It seems different washes are often made at different factories. I mostly wear 514s, and different washes are often made in different countries.

• Options
    Pretty sure one of the few luxuries I'd indulge in if I were wealthy would be getting all of my clothing tailored. I hate clothes shopping as it is--why try on a bunch of stuff and inevitably settle for something that still doesn't quite fit right when I can just pay someone to make it perfect every time? They'd still be regular-ass cheap jeans, just made to fit.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

This discussion has been closed.