Options

Stephen [Chat]iverse

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    i went to the shining on halloween and half the theater laughed at every bizarre nicholson moment

it wasn't so much a "shared experience" as me being annoyed at these fools

"Stop swingin' the bat. Put the bat down, Wendy."
    *audience laughs*
    "Wendy? Give me the bat… give me the goddamn bat!"
    *audience gives standing ovation*

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Guys SKFM just wants to purge the world of the filth of humanity, is that so wrong?

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    i really can't fault skfm here

if you like the ability to pause, and you'd rather not be surrounded by unpredictable, often inconsiderate people, why would you go to a movie theater. its not appreciably better than watching at home. its the same movie

He'd get that from watching a movie at home with friends and family. The difference is you can pause, there's less room and have to clean up the mess yourself.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular

if you like the ability to pause, and you'd rather not be surrounded by unpredictable, often inconsiderate people, why would you go to a movie theater. its not appreciably better than watching at home. its the same movie
    it's real big tho

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I don't like theaters because they are dirty and gross and full of people that might make sounds and you can't pause. If I'm going to endure all that I'll just go to Broadway.

What theaters are you going to? And of course people make sounds, that's being human. That's going to happen anywhere you leave your home, bro.

edit: I'm going to assume you have a different definition to what dirty and gross is.

Discoloration on seat, sticky floor, crumbs from
    Food someone else ate. All gross. Ugh.

You went to a bad theater. That does not mean all or even a majority of theaters are like that.

I've been to plenty of movie theaters. When I was to get. Went a lot. Once tvs got big and DVDs replaced vhs, I stopped seeing a point. My main issues are the not being able to pause and the hearing other people things. I can't stand being in a theater and having other people talk or Leigh loud.

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »
    Guys SKFM just wants to purge the world of the filth of humanity, is that so wrong?

As a filthy human, I must protest.

• Options
    Aioua wrote: »
    I don't like theaters because they are dirty and gross and full of people that might make sounds and you can't pause. If I'm going to endure all that I'll just go to Broadway.

around here we have rich-person theatres

$25 tickets
    assigned seats
    I'm sorry did I say seats I meant recliners
    hipstery cocktails and food served to you while you watch
    21+ only

it's pretty great

Theaters like that are pretty baller.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

I personally wouldn't mind.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

What theaters are you going to? And of course people make sounds, that's being human. That's going to happen anywhere you leave your home, bro.

I don't go to movie theaters.

Id rather watch a movie in privacy. I don't like hearing people talk or laugh or cough or sneeze or crunch good while I am watching a movie. I don't think that is so unreasonable.

Go buy a showing out then.

For that money I could go to Broadway. Live theater is so much better than movies.

I love live theater, but that doesn't mean I don't like movies, either.

The experience of watching a film in a packed theater is different than watching a film at home. There have been films that I have seen first by myself at home that I did not care for much, and I did not really appreciate them until I saw them again in a theater with other people. The shared reactions of others opened me up to moods of the film that I hadn't noticed by my lonesome, for whatever reason.

Depends on the film you're seeing, but for... most films, given the choice, I'd rather see it for the first time in a theater with at least a few close friends with me, rather than viewing it by myself at home. (I love afternoon showings near the end of a film's run for this, you can oftentimes get the theater to just you and your companions.)

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular

edit: I'm going to assume you have a different definition to what dirty and gross is.

Discoloration on seat, sticky floor, crumbs from
    Food someone else ate. All gross. Ugh.

Don't forget the germs.

Those people are all covered in filthy, filthy germs.

D:

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited November 2015

What kind of car do you drive?

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options

He'd get that from watching a movie at home with friends and family. The difference is you can pause, there's less room and have to clean up the mess yourself.
    do you not clean up your mess at a movie theater

you monster

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I'm not into movies as social experiences anyway. When I am with people I want to actually talk to them.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    i went to the shining on halloween and half the theater laughed at every bizarre nicholson moment

it wasn't so much a "shared experience" as me being annoyed at these fools

"Stop swingin' the bat. Put the bat down, Wendy."
    *audience laughs*
    "Wendy? Give me the bat… give me the goddamn bat!"
    *audience gives standing ovation*

This is literally how it was

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    jake you are a perplexing young man

• Options
    I'm not into movies as social experiences anyway. When I am with people I want to actually talk to them.

You can do that in movie theaters by going with friends and family.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I read that right-to-left and didn't get it at first...

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    i for one would never fail to throw my jumbo soda, empty box of candy, and used condom in the proper receptacle

• Options

No. You don't talk while you watch the movie unless you are a monster.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    jake you are a perplexing young man

I am a man of contradictions John

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    For you, chat

Courtesy a mysterious benefactor

wpid-photo-201407061626391.jpg

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

No, people who talk at the movies are awful. In fact I think this was one of the issues. People might talk during the show.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options

What kind of car do you drive?

A Hummer.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I want to share the glory of this OP with some of my other friends who also like SU.

but if you don't know chu the humor is lost

a tragedy

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options

Not at length, of course. But people do talk during movies. Depends on who you're with and how entertaining the movie is. Also can be done at home with friends and family.

• Options
    I just don't understand why y'all are adamant movie theaters are better

People are entitled to care more about certain parts of their experience than others..

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    I like watching movies and tv shows with my wife, but otherwise I'd always rather watch alone. If I'm with people I want to actually be with them, not all sitting in silence together.

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »

No, people who talk at the movies are awful. In fact I think this was one of the issues. People might talk during the show.

Unless they're really loud or right next to him he won't hear them, especially in large theaters.

• Options
    Aioua wrote: »
    I want to share the glory of this OP with some of my other friends who also like SU.

but if you don't know chu the humor is lost

a tragedy

is it not run of the mill 'what is this shit i don't understand'

are there layers of antisemitism here

distaste for the morbidly obese

• Options

Not at length, of course. But people do talk during movies. Depends on who you're with and how entertaining the movie is. Also can be done at home with friends and family.

IMO, talking at all is abhorrent.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    desc.

who forwarded you my biography?

• Options
    why did i turn the fps counter on

what has that contributed to my peace of mind

• Options
    edited November 2015

Not everyone does, btw. And you certainly can't hear everything in a theater.

edit: I'm not saying your wrong exactly, but that it's ok for people to go to theaters with different expectations and enjoy the experience.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    @Apothe0sis

Apothe0sis wrote: »
    redx wrote: »
    I have never watched adventure time or Steven universe or my little pony or whatever and never intend to. If I'm watching a Childrens show, it is going to be with my child. . .

And you miss out on good things because you prejudge them.

Have you seen Over the Garden Wall? No cause it's for kids?

And how does he know his child is going to like a show before watching it with him? He may like those shows.

THE CHILD WILL WATCH THE STEPHEN UNIVERSE TO ESNURE RIGHTTHINK

Are you joking, or do you have a beef with that cartoon? If so, why? There are literally dozens of amazing children's cartoons his kid could enjoy if he was exposed to, and Space won't know what cartoon he liked before the kid sees it. For instance, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra, Teen Titans, Teen Titans Go, Samurai Jack etc.

Sheeeet. Samurai Jack is not a kids show. It is a work of art for the faded.

Some kids might like it too, because it has scientist puppies in it, but they aren't the target audience.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

Nooooo turn it off.

It will just distract you with thoughts about how to improve an arbitrary number.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2015

Or at a midnight showing of The Terminator where there's an extremely awkward silence hanging in the air as Reese is getting it on with Sarah Conner.

And then you break the tension by shouting "Dude, no, that's your best friend's mom!"

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    The Ender wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »

Nooooo turn it off.

It will just distract you with thoughts about how to improve an arbitrary number.

is it really arbitrary, tho

• Options

Not everyone does, btw. And you certainly can't hear everything in a theater.

Why are you arguing with me about how I prefer to watch movies? I have been to plenty of movie theaters. I know how they work. I prefer watching movies at home.

This discussion has been closed.