As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East 2016 Cosplay Thread

• Options
    TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    Alright so this may be an unusual question. Anyone know if an (empty or possibly filled with tea) bottle of Jack Daniels would be a no go as a prop? I'm not even sure if I'll have one ready by the time PAX comes but I might as well find out now before I make a friend drink all their jack.

• Options
    AaronCAaronC Enforcer - Lieutenant Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    I don't think it's gonna be an issue with PAX, you should get it checked at the info desk. I can't speak for the outside security screening not hassling you on it.

• Options
    robirexrobirex BostonRegistered User regular
    I can't even handle how cool these pics are. You all are incredible.

6pq9je4.png
  • Options
    People really bring their A game to PAX. It's consistently amazing.

• Options
    MrBroadstoneMrBroadstone Registered User regular
    Alright so this may be an unusual question. Anyone know if an (empty or possibly filled with tea) bottle of Jack Daniels would be a no go as a prop? I'm not even sure if I'll have one ready by the time PAX comes but I might as well find out now before I make a friend drink all their jack.

What AaronC said, but let me add the following recommendation: I recommend against walking around "drinking whiskey", prop whiskey or not. It just causes people to think you're actually drinking, which can cause unnecessary drama even in costume. "Anyone found consuming alcohol outside of regulated areas will be asked to leave the premises immediately. " is a PAX rule, so do consider that. A whole lot of wasted time with proving it isn't alcohol or you actually get kicked out. Filling it with tea might cause said drama.

• Options
    TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    That's a really good point. I don't drink at all so the thought of it being mistaken as real and causing trouble didn't even cross my mind.

• Options
    OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    So psyched for PAX I had to return to make a forum post. Currently putting the finishing touches on a Deus Ex cosplay. I am more than a little excited for Mankind Divided!

Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
  • Options
    craiolacraiola MARegistered User regular
    Ended up having to scrap cosplay plans for this year but I'll be looking out for everyone here and their amazing costumes!

DXLJjjr.png
  • Options
    That's a really good point. I don't drink at all so the thought of it being mistaken as real and causing trouble didn't even cross my mind.

Sorry I didn't read close enough and see the tea part. Walking with the tea as a booze look alike is going to ask for trouble from the convention center security. It's not breaking a PAX rule, but you may end up still in trouble or getting hassled. I would suggest just bringing the empty bottle which won't be a problem at all.

• Options
    a fraking toastera fraking toaster W1TRK Registered User regular
    so im goin as krieger from archer.unfortunately my babyface has a terrible time growing a beard that will be thick and luxurious as kriegers.so im debating weather to just deal with it not being a full beard or should i just go buy a prop beard and hope its not teriably itchy all day.

• Options
    OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    so im goin as krieger from archer.unfortunately my babyface has a terrible time growing a beard that will be thick and luxurious as kriegers.so im debating weather to just deal with it not being a full beard or should i just go buy a prop beard and hope its not teriably itchy all day.

If you actually have enough time, go for growing a real beard. Just buy a prop beard as backup if it turns out that you can't pull it off on time. Also, you should absolutely print out Krieger's virtual girlfriend.

Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
  • Options
    a fraking toastera fraking toaster W1TRK Registered User regular
    im goin to do exactly that.hope for the best with my beard and order 1 as a backup,i saw somebody used a doctors mask to cover his face since he had no beard,not a bad idea either.

• Options
    While I know nothing about doing it myself, I've seen some incredibly convincing beards with just makeup.

• Options
    HearthsingerHearthsinger Actor/Writer NYCRegistered User regular
    Super hype to bring my new Jedi Cosplay to PAX! Ultimately my friend and I are looking for a short place to perform a short stage combat piece we've been working on in NYC. It's about a minute long, but we were hoping we could get permission from some Enforcers for it for safety's sake. Any ideas for someone I should contact to discuss?

• Options
    Elusive GreenElusive Green Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Sepioth wrote: »
    Ahh so it is written there. Easy enough. I modified a Nerf Maverick for Fallout Cosplay. It has a big yellow energy cell in it but I will still make sure the tip is orange to be safe :)

jwmi8ibieoxt.jpg

While I understand the rule it is a bit silly to be honest. Because one could not remove the orange tip from a toy to make it look "real" or one could not paint an orange tip to a REAL gun to pass it off as "fake".

But rules is rules. :)

Sorry Sepioth, I'm borrowing your post because the image is helpful for my question.

With these metal detectors, I do have metal pieces in the armor I'm building, namely the pieces on my arms, legs, and the gauntlets, but also including screws and wires and other pieces in the armor. Is this something that I should just allow security to check, and then put on in the convention center? I don't see it getting through a metal detector.

Elusive Green on
  • Options
    Super hype to bring my new Jedi Cosplay to PAX! Ultimately my friend and I are looking for a short place to perform a short stage combat piece we've been working on in NYC. It's about a minute long, but we were hoping we could get permission from some Enforcers for it for safety's sake. Any ideas for someone I should contact to discuss?

If you want to talk to someone day of, go to the Info Desk in the main lobby. Otherwise email questions to: pax_questions@paxsite.com and explain what you want to do. That email does get to PA staff who will make the decisions.

• Options

Sorry Sepioth, I'm borrowing your post because the image is helpful for my question.

With these metal detectors, I do have metal pieces in the armor I'm building, namely the pieces on my arms, legs, and the gauntlets, but also including screws and wires and other pieces in the armor. Is this something that I should just allow security to check, and then put on in the convention center? I don't see it getting through a metal detector.

You should be fine wearing your armor through the exterior check. It may get delayed a little, but plenty of other people with armor come through. Whatever you do you will have to let the external security look and inspect. Setting off the metal detector doesn't mean that you won't be able to bring it in, it just means they will do a secondary check.

• Options
    Aredhel22Aredhel22 Blue Nova Cosplay PittsburghRegistered User regular
    I'm super pumped to be bringing Merrill (Dragon Age 2) on Friday and Saturday and my Vault 101 kigu to be comfy on Sunday!

I'm also happy to say that I'll be accompanied by Anders and Hawke. I have a lot of work left to do, but I can't wait until it's done.

is4geqrwxht6.jpg

cFhq9lX.jpg
  • Options
    Aredhel22 wrote: »
    I'm super pumped to be bringing Merrill (Dragon Age 2) on Friday and Saturday and my Vault 101 kigu to be comfy on Sunday!

YOUR MERRILL SO ADORABLE. I'm basically dying. :)

Here's my progress on my Jedi. It is coming along, but I still have a few tweaks and improvements here and there to handle. Got in touch with staff yesterday so I'll post here once we decide when and where would be safest/best for our lightsaber spar. There is a chance I'll veto it based on what I think would be doable/worth it and what honors the safety of us and everyone else since it's such a short staged peace. You have to think about the cost/benefit in these situations.

zu9tx867flat.jpg

• Options
    mieumieu Registered User regular
    Good morning! Few questions~

This is my second time to PAX East and the costume I'm bringing this year is a bit involved. I'm staying at the Westin and read somewhere regarding convention hours/check-in that the skybridge from the hotel to the CC will be closed. Does the skybridge open to attendees at all throughout convention hours? Just trying to plan logistics in case I need to dash back to the hotel room, and might just delay getting to the con on the day I wear that costume until the skybridge is open.

I know that the con floor is not conducive to personal space and mobility, let alone that of someone wearing a bulky costume and large prop. What are some other places that cosplayers congregate other than the main lobby?

What are some areas (indoor or outdoor) that are good for photos?

• Options
    mieu wrote: »
    Good morning! Few questions~

This is my second time to PAX East and the costume I'm bringing this year is a bit involved. I'm staying at the Westin and read somewhere regarding convention hours/check-in that the skybridge from the hotel to the CC will be closed. Does the skybridge open to attendees at all throughout convention hours? Just trying to plan logistics in case I need to dash back to the hotel room, and might just delay getting to the con on the day I wear that costume until the skybridge is open.

I know that the con floor is not conducive to personal space and mobility, let alone that of someone wearing a bulky costume and large prop. What are some other places that cosplayers congregate other than the main lobby?

What are some areas (indoor or outdoor) that are good for photos?

I am not sure what time the bridge opens, but I can tell you that I've used it several times throughout the day to get back and forth even though I don't stay at the Westin :) I don't believe it opens exactly when the front doors open because there's usually a pretty large line to go through security in the mornings but someone who has tried that can chime in.

Other great places: Queue hall after the start of day between show floor and Tabletop. Halls around panel rooms open up near escalators with seating areas. The halls are generally pretty wide and especially near corners. The BCEC is great with space even if you just need to step away from it all for a bit. Hope that's helpful! <3

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    mieu wrote: »
    It opens after the morning rush is over... which can vary. Exact times can vary and won't be known until its time for them to open, sorry.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    DaNickaDaNicka Studly Nurd Peoples Republic Of Massachusetts, DunstableRegistered User regular
    I'll busting out mario again ;)e9h8atoz99wh.jpg and probably do Dr. Frog Mario on sunday or I can bring back my infamous PAX East Akuma!!!

• Options
    GuhzoontightGuhzoontight A Goof Who Makes Things Registered User regular
    I know I mentioned what I was doing earlier in this thread but I thought I'd share some images as well!

Friday I'll be in Neo.

And Saturday I'll be in my Rajang armor from Monster Hunter. I don't have it completely done BUT I AM ALMOST THERE. So here is just an image of some of the armor and spikes for the demon rod prop(which is the other image).

troxairbrzou.jpg
    dwb86bsd5wgy.jpg
    rrage3no003r.jpg

• Options
    jddyslexiajddyslexia Registered User regular
    That's a fantastic Neo. My Ozpin suddenly feels inadequate and shameful.

• Options
    Drowning RabbitDrowning Rabbit New HampshireRegistered User regular
    No idea what Neo is, but the costume looks pretty cool. Rajang armor though, :swoon:

qnBLxtv.jpg

Finally got the helmet not reeking of spray paint and got the shield back on properly. Now to just finish up my vest :D

• Options
    SparkatarkaSparkatarka Registered User new member
    maccafrank wrote: »
    I'm very excited to finally pull off a dota cosplay! I'm going as Drow Ranger, and I'm searching to see if there are any fellow Dota cosplayers that I should attempt to meet up with at PAX east :biggrin:

I'm going to go as Windrunner if I can figure out how to get my bow up there. It's 6 ft tall unfortunately :(

• Options
    The Admiral 91The Admiral 91 Registered User new member
    Hey everyone, I'm organizing a second Fallout cosplay meetup/photoshoot to compliment the friday one. It'll be on Saturday at 1:45pm outside the Take This AFK Room. https://www.facebook.com/events/1524327061207680/

Co-Founder of Fallout: New England
  • Options
    Finally got the helmet not reeking of spray paint and got the shield back on properly. Now to just finish up my vest :D

I'm you, from the future!
    Pnw7UoB.jpg?2

Finally had a chance to do a makeup test and see how well I can give myself a black eye last night. Think it came out pretty good. Gotta work on doing better with coloring the eyebrow, though. Still gotta track down a better color to work with for my scar. The test on my arm came out a bit light.

• Options
    aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    eye looks great ...! thought you got punched when I first saw it ... so kudos looking very realistic ...

aBByNormaL on
    PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • Options
    jddyslexia wrote: »
    That's a fantastic Neo. My Ozpin suddenly feels inadequate and shameful.

Thank you, but hey don't think like that! I'm sure your Ozpin is great! :)

• Options
    No idea what Neo is, but the costume looks pretty cool. Rajang armor though, :swoon:

Neo is from a show called RWBY. It's a rooster teeth production. :)

But thank you~! :D

• Options

Neo is from a show called RWBY. It's a rooster teeth production. :)

But thank you~! :D

Ah, I remember seeing when they announced RWBY a while ago but never actually watched it. I hear good things so maybe I'll have to see it. Monster Hunter is my favorite game franchise of all time, and I literally have bought every system it has come out for JUST to play it, so I'd love to see the Furious Rajang armor!!!!
    Finally had a chance to do a makeup test and see how well I can give myself a black eye last night. Think it came out pretty good. Gotta work on doing better with coloring the eyebrow, though. Still gotta track down a better color to work with for my scar. The test on my arm came out a bit light.

Hey man, that looks awesome! I am not going that far with it though. I'll have the vest/helmet/accessories and such, but I'll not be in make up under the helmet. Going full on for the in game playable costume instead of his look. Good on you though for going that extra mile with make up and everything! Too much for my first foray into this. My brother in law is going as Jacket.

I'll be ironing on my skull patch onto the front of my vest tonight, and PRAYING that I don't melt the plastic of the vest when trying to apply it.

• Options
    SepiothSepioth Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    @Drowning Rabbit
    Be careful when ironing on the patch. It will take a lot of heat to make it stick well and if the vest is "plastic" it may melt.

You may be better off sewing it on or taking it to a place to do that for you.

@jddyslexia
    Never feel like your cosplay is shameful or inadequate. While there is some fantastic cosplay out there I love seeing all forms of it. The good the bad and the ugly. It's all in the spirit if fun and the love of whatever it is you are cosplaying.

For me the best part of cosplay is all the craziness in designing and putting it all together and finishing up that last piece hours before the show. And of course all the comments and love from fans you get. :-) I started doing cosplay at PAX East 2014 as a TF2 Engineer and really enjoyed it. Now I do it every year. This year it will be a dweller from Vault 111.

Sepioth on
    4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • Options
    macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    Vault 77 Dweller / Puppet Man checking in
    c3r5hcokxqb1.png

• Options
    jddyslexiajddyslexia Registered User regular
    I've created a Facebook event for a RWBY cosplay meet-up and photo shoot on Friday. Hope to see people there!

https://www.facebook.com/events/221070811596161/

• Options
    Koori HiKoori Hi Cape Cod, MassachusettsRegistered User new member
    edited April 2016
    All these cool cosplays~!

Edit: Due to suitcase size I can only bring Draven ><

Koori Hi on
    PAX East 2016: Pool Party Draven: League of Legends
    '16: Pool Party Draven, French Maid Draven
    '15: Ahri
    '14: Yin, Headmistress Fiora
    '13 : Cynthia, Fem Shizuo
    '12: Ronald Knox, Fem Shizuo
    '11: Kikyo, Cynthia
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Hey man, that looks awesome! I am not going that far with it though. I'll have the vest/helmet/accessories and such, but I'll not be in make up under the helmet. Going full on for the in game playable costume instead of his look. Good on you though for going that extra mile with make up and everything! Too much for my first foray into this. My brother in law is going as Jacket.

I'll be ironing on my skull patch onto the front of my vest tonight, and PRAYING that I don't melt the plastic of the vest when trying to apply it.
    Thanks, I'm going for the version that appears in 2 so I grew out my beard and will by dying it and my hair in a few days.
    latest?cb=20150412235426

Looking forward to seeing you and brother in law there. Had a ton of fun doing my Jacket costume the last 2 years.
    Mind if I ask where you found the vest? For the life of me I couldn't find one. I kinda ran tight on funds most of the winter so I'm mostly getting everything together in the last few weeks. I'm working with a pink hoodie I found in a thrift shop.

TopherRocks on
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    @TopherRocks I actually found a women's vest at SAVERS, pretty much a large thrift shop chain like Goodwill.

It was $4

Had to rip out the fur lining from the hood, but it looks ok. I ironed on the patch tonight, but it didn't adhere super tight, so I'll probably reinforce it with thread tomorrow.

I have some bad iPad pictures of it, and my wife painted on the skull on the back.

http://i.imgur.com/D6mqkMF.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/C1hhDVM.jpg

zerzhul on
  • Options
    Lucky! That looks great too! What type of paint did she use? I'm planning on cutting my own patches for the hoodie but if I track down a vest I'll probably paint it.
    I dug through the Savers nearest me. Found the PERFECT vest but far too small to fit me. The tag said it was from Old Navy but this late in the season, even their clearance section was of no use. I'm making one last ditch spin through all of the local Goodwill/thrift/Savers to see if I have any luck finding better than I have.