As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2] Path of Fire expansion to be released on Sept 22!

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I'm 100% trying to avoid being part of any zerg for future WvW

and without a good squad to do shit with, I'm mostly scouting

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I'm sticking with Reaper on my necro to the extent that I've been transitioning from rabid with Runes of the Undead to viper with Runes of the Scholar, That said, I am liking that I can keep my pie plates of doom for ranged work.

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Alright, spinning this back up after not having played since maybe a month after launch? I had a Guardian parked at 80 and had done world explorer/completion. As there was nothing to do on that character, and I had no idea what I was doing, I was trying to level another character (Ranger). Still on fence about buying expansion, wanted to test the game out a bit more.

Anything I should be doing, overall? Is the guild still active?

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    The Deranged HermitThe Deranged Hermit Inside the walls Merry Old EnglandRegistered User regular
    A heads up for peeps who haven't wuv'd before: The traits/build used in World vs. World is not the same as the one you have in PVE. I don't mean your PVE build isn't as effective, I mean the physical selection of traits is independent in the WvW game mode from the PVE game mode (as it is from structured PVP mode). So check you trait set up AFTER you zone into a WvW map.

And a few things about Tuesday! Tuesday! Tuesday!:

A dev has confirmed that the new pip system is only for the "mist war maps" as in the three borderlands and eternal battle ground maps. It does not function in edge of the mists.

If you have any tournament tickets left over from the Wuv tournaments waaaaay back when these will be converted/renamed to the new tickets come Tuesday so you'll be ahead of the curve. I already spent mine on skins many moons ago (womp womp).

Steam: the_deranged_hermit
    GW2: Tavalisk.9463
  • Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    A heads up for peeps who haven't wuv'd before: The traits/build used in World vs. World is not the same as the one you have in PVE. I don't mean your PVE build isn't as effective, I mean the physical selection of traits is independent in the WvW game mode from the PVE game mode (as it is from structured PVP mode). So check you trait set up AFTER you zone into a WvW map.

A dev has confirmed that the new pip system is only for the "mist war maps" as in the three borderlands and eternal battle ground maps. It does not function in edge of the mists.

If you have any tournament tickets left over from the Wuv tournaments waaaaay back when these will be converted/renamed to the new tickets come Tuesday so you'll be ahead of the curve. I already spent mine on skins many moons ago (womp womp).

awww, I just used my tickets a few days ago too. Oh well.

253J736.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    Alright, spinning this back up after not having played since maybe a month after launch? I had a Guardian parked at 80 and had done world explorer/completion. As there was nothing to do on that character, and I had no idea what I was doing, I was trying to level another character (Ranger). Still on fence about buying expansion, wanted to test the game out a bit more.

Anything I should be doing, overall? Is the guild still active?

There's been quite a bit of stuff added. Off the top of my head, you'll have access to three things new to you presented in rough order of how deep the rabbit hole goes:

1) Some new or redesigned world bosses. Tequatl The Sunless, Triple Trouble, and the redesigned Shatterer are more involved than the original flavor world bosses were. People have them down at this point but things like different squads handling different aspects of the fight are the order of the day and some of these have unique rewards that can be obtained.

2) New zones. Dry Top and The Silverwastes still see a lot of activity, the latter especially although the guild SAND specifically does planned runs through the former. These are driven by zone wide events with different phases and have rewards unique to the zone. These zones have a similar structure to how the expansion's zones are done and can give you an idea of what to expect in those.

3) Fractals. These are dungeons 2.0: Shorter, more focused experiences (they differ in length but a successful run is usually 10-20 minutes) where the difficulty can be ratcheted up or down for better rewards though you need to unlock higher difficulty scales by doing the easier ones. In addition to tougher mobs, higher difficulties introduce difficulty specific disadvantages like mobs enraging at low health, debuffs that make you pay more attention to positioning, or a Michael Bay mode where everything explodes on death. Going up in difficulty will require ascended level gear that can be slotted with agony resistance. Ascended accessories are relatively easily obtained from multiple sources including low level fractals while armor and weapons can be rewarded from successful fractal runs (with higher difficulty fractals having increased chances of said drops), crafting, and very rarely some of those newer world bosses. Legendary items exist at the ascended power scale now as opposed to the exotic power level they were at launch. At the low end, fractals are easier than dungeons are both in terms of complexity and time commitment. At the high end, fractals are akin to 5 man raids but still with much less time commitment or composition requirements (though it still helps to have condition damage characters group with each other and power based damage characters with other power based characters).

So there's a good chunk of content to explore in the base game that you can choose from based on what kind of content interests you. The new zones are great for general meandering about, fractals for a more focused and challenging experience, new world bosses when you're a bit short on time but still want to do something beyond inhaling ore nodes.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular

That's cool. I think I have enough tickets to get a skin, but I haven't because I had choice paralysis from "You will only be able to choose one of these, ever. Make it count."

This may make me finally spend them, knowing there's hope for my remaining leftover tickets.

• Options
    LeandriellLeandriell Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    For those following it... Project go big or go home update 2/many

Reminder: I'm crazy and decided to make 2 legendary weapons and 3 armour pieces simultaneously (I'm totally sane.. totally....)

Item Specific materials

Chuka_and_Champawat :
    READY

Astralaria:
    Tier 4 40/54 (Arah event was a myth for aaaages)

Envoy Armour x 3:
    150/150 provisioner tokens
    75/75 LI
    Tier 2 collection - Deimos and Cairn Hearts to do. Back to pugging again :( so may take a while

General materials (only mentioning expensive/time sink stuff):

1/2 Gift of Battle - roll on WvW update!
    405/500 Crystalline Ore
    69/199 Mystic Clovers (47 from rewards and the rest from 88 Mystic Forge combines - Zommeros does not like me)
    World Explorations done
    40/500 Amalgamated gemstones
    25/1050 Obisidian Shards
    some/lots t3, t5 and t6 trophy materials, t4 complete
    Airship Parts 1469/1750
    Aurillium 1168/1750
    Ley Line Crystals 1526/1750

Leandriell on
  • Options
    https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/news/Lake-Doric-Change#
    With the next release, we will be making a change to the Watchtower Cliffs (aka: the centaur stronghold) area of Lake Doric. The Harathi centaurs noticed that while those who shout “I can outrun a centaur” were not much of a threat, those who could build turrets and other weaponry were. They reached back to their command in the Harathi Hinterlands and requested support, which has come in the form of trebuchet fire aimed at enemies in their Lake Doric stronghold.
    This change is intended to discourage players from AFKing in the centaur stronghold. The strikes come swiftly and carry a powerful punch – especially towards summons – while not becoming overly punishing to those who are playing through the entire area. Keep an eye out and be ready to evade the bombardments!
    We will continue to monitor the centaur’s stronghold area and will investigate potential changes to incentivize intended gameplay in the area.

253J736.png
  • Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    WolveSight wrote: »
    With the next release, we will be making a change to the Watchtower Cliffs (aka: the centaur stronghold) area of Lake Doric. The Harathi centaurs noticed that while those who shout “I can outrun a centaur” were not much of a threat, those who could build turrets and other weaponry were. They reached back to their command in the Harathi Hinterlands and requested support, which has come in the form of trebuchet fire aimed at enemies in their Lake Doric stronghold.
    This change is intended to discourage players from AFKing in the centaur stronghold. The strikes come swiftly and carry a powerful punch – especially towards summons – while not becoming overly punishing to those who are playing through the entire area. Keep an eye out and be ready to evade the bombardments!
    We will continue to monitor the centaur’s stronghold area and will investigate potential changes to incentivize intended gameplay in the area.

"Machines are taking over the glue industry, what are we going to do, how are we going to cope?"
    "With siege weaponry."

• Options
    SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
    Haven't played in a year..ish? But I'll be around to try out the wuvs tomorrow.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Dizzen wrote: »
    WolveSight wrote: »

"Machines are taking over the glue industry, what are we going to do, how are we going to cope?"
    "With siege weaponry."

I laughed pretty fuckin hard at this

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    let's see how stupid this cleric turret build is for engi

my guess is: pretty fucking stupid

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
  • Options
    and the patch is live (wasn't available quite yet when the notes went up)

253J736.png
  • Options
    wuvwuv is popular again:

https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/239106/gw066.jpg

image shows 150+ queues on other servers. this afternoon, tallow and I were seeing 20+... in the middle of the afternoon. We'll see how things shake out tonight.

253J736.png
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Itll be fine. ish.

7- 8 est we can try at the least....

@sonork hell yes!

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    i have a feeling for a while its going to just be a bunch of people botting or afk farming and preventing anyone from getting into the wvw maps.

• Options
    it's hard to do afk farming because you have to actually be active on the map to get participation, and without that you do not get any credit/progression. You can run out, do stuff, and then sit for a little bit; but the system will degrade you fairly quickly if I remember correctly.

253J736.png
  • Options
    Due to a few logistical issues, we had to delay the guild hall event a few days ago - we're now rescheduled to.. 25th June, at Noon Pacific, 8PM UK, 7PM Server or an hour before this post (old missions o clock)

It's time! We're going back to the Golden City for our guild hall!

Details in spoiler for those who aren't fed up of my spamming it :)
    What's all this then?
    We're switching guild halls, which means we need to capture the other hall. See here for details: http://dulfy.net/2015/10/23/gw2-guild-hall-claiming-and-upgrade-guide/

Guild halls? What?
    How to Guild Hall

Why the switch?
    Firstly, it's prettier! And who doesn't like golden awesomeness.
    Secondly, here's two sets of guild weapon skins, and you can only get the second set from the other hall. We've been collecting Shimmering Crystals for the Shimmering Weapons, now we need to collect Tenebrous Crystals for the Tenebrous Weapons if we didn't last time

How do I know if I have enough Shimmering Crystals?
    You need 160 to make all the weapons. An additional 66 is still useful, but not necessary, since you can make the armor from either crystal type.

Do I need to do anything while we still have Lost Precipice?
    Mine the guild gathering every day until you have 160 Tenebrous Crystals! You don't need to actually buy anything, just accumulate the materials.

Are there any requirements to partcipate?
    Be level 80, own Heart of Thorns, be in [NICE] on NA servers, have TS (listen only is fine), and show up!

Once it's ours, some of our officers and veteran novices will be on hand to decorate, you can direct us!

(this post shamelessly plagarised from the last guild hall event - thanks @Kylindra )[/quote]

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Can I get an invite to guild? Radiation.3968

Also, I feel like I'm bad at builds. What should I be looking at/doing to not be bad? I have a guardian at 80 (currently with a greatsword?) and a ranger up in the 60s.

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Also, I feel like I'm bad at builds. What should I be looking at/doing to not be bad? I have a guardian at 80 (currently with a greatsword?) and a ranger up in the 60s.

It really depends on what you want to do with a build. PvP, WvW, Fractal, and Raid builds all differ. Metabattle is a good place to start seeing what kind of builds other people have tested in different content types.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options

for guardians, use this link and find something that you may like to play: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Guardian
    I'd recommend the burn guardian builds, as they will still allow you to quest and do pve stuff well while still being able to contribute in spvp/wuvwuv. If you go full bunker, you may have some problems in pve stuff (i.e. it's going to take a while to kill things, but you won't die either).

for rangers, this is kinda what I'm currently running on mine, and it can do pretty much anything in the game decently (it's not a healing spec, this is to kill things). http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNAV3fjMqQ5KWzCusAVLGSEqPAS2ZmXgO/z70d0PhLqeVK-TlSFABJfBAWSJWc7OUlyD40IMwTAYNdBHq+DAHEgBVCCA-w

most build sites for rangers pretty much pigeon-hole them into healers now, so take them with a grain of salt. Power builds are also a bit rough right now as they hit diminishing returns much faster and have a much higher stat cost compared to conditions.

The big thing is, try different builds out and see what you like. If you're not entirely sure, you can always go into the spvp area and try different builds and gear sets out cheaply against target dummies and even some matches to see if you like a particular playstyle.

253J736.png
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Feel like we should wait till next week and try and schedule an actual skirmish night. Maybe queues dont blow at that point.

is there intrest in a NICE wvw night next week? A day that best suits?

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    Feel like we should wait till next week and try and schedule an actual skirmish night. Maybe queues dont blow at that point.

is there intrest in a NICE wvw night next week? A day that best suits?

1. yes

2. my work schedule is super weird so I defer to other people

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    Made it halfway through silver last night. Hurrah!

But pips reset at the end of the week. Haroo.

And the 1st and 2nd tiers of the back piece cost a combined 875 tickets. Holy geez!

Looks like my time to the next patch will be pretty well occupied with Wuv :x I will have that back piece!

(And probably a billion more gifts of battle and ranks and armor)

• Options
    I'm game for some wuvwuv, just let me know when. Sonork, Tallow, and I ran for a good bit more last night and got some serious work done.

253J736.png
  • Options

Done!

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Hrm wonder what build I should take into Wuv. Burn Guardian? AH Guard? One of the necro builds?

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    Hrm wonder what build I should take into Wuv. Burn Guardian? AH Guard? One of the necro builds?

I'd go with the Auction House Guard, those guys really kept the Gadgetzan one in line

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    So, FYI, Anet has mentioned in the forums that the Loyalty bonus pip isn't just being on the same world for 3 weeks. You have to finish at least Wood tier (i.e. 100 pips) as well... and missing a week means you start over before you get that extra pip again.

A kind of off-the-wall build is Revenant. Being able to laugh off all those conditions by stacking Resistance on a Mallyx build is pretty good for a frontliner.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I found this video on reddit and thought I'd share it with y'all since the Sylvari are my favorite race:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnOCtCLdc4o

She also has several other videos, like for the Black Citadel and about some of the various other races like quaggan, skritt, chak, and more.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Do these changes make WvW more attractive for leveling? I mean, if I had a level 1 character, no tomes, and was sick of map completion, could I conceivably just chill out in big WvW zergs and level up that way (I guess it'd be via tomes if you don't get normal xp sub-80).

• Options
    The Deranged HermitThe Deranged Hermit Inside the walls Merry Old EnglandRegistered User regular
    WvW isn't really a great leveling method. The actual XP isn't anything like what you can get in PVE. You will be at a SIGNIFICANT stat disadvantage even though you are up leveled compared to level 80s (being an uplevel is also known as being a rallybot as you will get downed easily providing an enemy player with an easy chance to res off your death).

If you reeeeeally don't want to PVE I'd say go to Edge of the Mists instead, there is more often ktrains going on in there which chain events/caps for XP gain.

Steam: the_deranged_hermit
    GW2: Tavalisk.9463
  • Options
    the gathering holonodes are sorta neat if you do a lot of WvW

slowly build up some resources for whenever you get around to crafting
    good shit

I'm slowly working out a good roamer build with my cleric set

the big question is if I want to do a turret build with pistol/shield and mortar

or go professional scrapper with lightning fields galore, and near constant health regen

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    So tuesday tuesday tuesday? 8 est?

Bring your lust for blood and willingness to make the blob case us around.

• Options
    So I tried a bit of wuvwuv on my own the other night and it was pretty fun. Every time I tried to fight anyone though they just locked me down and insta-popped me. Playing in a zerg is bad because my framerate tanks and it's hard to do anything, plus the huge amount of AOEs means even though I might not be targeted, I'm still gonna get pounded. In smaller group stuff I would have like 5 people target and gank me, keeping me from doing much (even if I was with a small group myself). BUT, I think I much prefer the smaller group stuff when I'm not getting CC'd to death.

Oh, while playing with a small group we took one of the towers or whatever and I claimed it for our guild. What's the point of doing that besides having our guild tag show up on the guards and our logo up on the flags?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    The guild has buffs we've unlocked from the hall. We have the ones that increase the supplies of anyone in range, letting you carry more. We're missing a few of the aura buffs, but its not a negative to claim stuff as our guild anymore.

If you're not in NICE and want to claim something, please make sure your guild has the Supply Increase aura, otherwise you're blocking another guild from claiming the camp or keep and increasing the supply of everyone nearby. Being able to carry more supply helps every group, big or small, because it allows you to set up more siege faster.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    gonna do my best to be there on tuesday

also I'm fucking angry that my first take on a scrapper build has been the best one I've done

a whole friggin' month of experimentation and I go back to the original and never die

Miss me? Find me on:

This discussion has been closed.