As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2] Path of Fire expansion to be released on Sept 22!

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Uh okay, what's a good spot to set up my turrets so I can sit around and watch the fun and not die :P
    It's at the lower encampment. You'll know it by the usual 20+ engineers and 100+ turrets there.

j f c

I wonder if one can even AFK doing that. If so, I may just set it up and go shopping today.

I just checked it a few minutes ago, I know the place was meant for leather farming but haven't seen it since it went industrial.

...Which makes me want to amend my response to @GONG-00 , yes the place is meant to be farmed, but not in the way it's being farmed now. Though I'm unsure if ANET plans to change it so people actually go up the path to the boss at the top as was the original intent.

Anyway, everyone stands in one of two spots in the middle to avoid the stampedes, so you are not going to be able to just autorun against a wall. might have to weigh down your rotate key or see if you can get yourself running in small circles. Turrets eventually expire to, so even if you find a way to do so, eventually you'll stop getting loot

EDIT: Also, looking around general consensus that the ground-level engi farm is only worth it if your alt-tabing doing other things and checking every few minutes to make sure your turrets are up, actually running the path to the tower hitting all the chests will give you *much* better leather for the time spent.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    If you go AFK there you have a high chance of being banned. You should do this while being at the computer. It is against the rules to leave the computer and have this happening.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    95SMN3d.jpg?2

Area-loot is your friend, but Auto-loot is the sultry mistress who consumes all your thoughts.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Reading into it more, it looks like the engi farm is already been nerfed and it's just that noone seems to have noticed. The Bloodstone-crazed centaurs (i.e. the ones that drop the loads of salavge-to-anything leather scraps) do not spawn in the lower area anymore, so it's only what you can get from the supply bags and the rare unstable scrap.

So yeah, really just an AFK-only farm. If you're actually playing there are much better ways to get the leather.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Reading into it more, it looks like the engi farm is already been nerfed and it's just that noone seems to have noticed. The Bloodstone-crazed centaurs (i.e. the ones that drop the loads of salavge-to-anything leather scraps) do not spawn in the lower area anymore, so it's only what you can get from the supply bags and the rare unstable scrap.

So yeah, really just an AFK-only farm. If you're actually playing there are much better ways to get the leather.

The people periodically volunteering to take groups up to the higher area makes more sense with that context

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/get-ready-for-the-june-2017-competitive-feature-pack/

I know we've been burned by these kind of announcements a few times before... but maybe this time there's hope?

253J736.png
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    WolveSight wrote: »
    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/get-ready-for-the-june-2017-competitive-feature-pack/

I know we've been burned by these kind of announcements a few times before... but maybe this time there's hope?

100% think adding any kind of ranked 2v2 is a terrible idea. Balance revolves around teamwork, when there arent enough people to actually have a team, the individual class imbalances will be very obvious. Since they are slow to balance and rework anything, I dont see that ending well. I know they want to grow pvp but trying to make WoW arena in GW2 isnt going to work. In the short term arena was probably good for WoW, but long term it has been a cancer on the game.

Also, what are these mystical chests someone mentioned that has leather in them? I dont want to afk farm leather.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    All the Turret Engineer duos.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Only reason I want to set up an AFK farm today is because I have to make an irritating very long phonecall to my insurance company, so something else useful may as well be happening on my other computer. /shrug

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I scrapped my previous engi (he was only level 10) so that I could make a new one that wasn't a disgusting asura, and also play with my wife who had just downloaded the game to play with me (she probably won't play the game ever again, but still I wanted to be the same level as her on her first time playing with me). Made it a charr, and while charr are almost as bad as asura for being disgusting, they kind of fit being engis so I'll endure. Kinda cool so far but their weapon selection is pretty small. I take it that their toolbelt and kits make up for that?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Darmak wrote: »
    I scrapped my previous engi (he was only level 10) so that I could make a new one that wasn't a disgusting asura, and also play with my wife who had just downloaded the game to play with me (she probably won't play the game ever again, but still I wanted to be the same level as her on her first time playing with me). Made it a charr, and while charr are almost as bad as asura for being disgusting, they kind of fit being engis so I'll endure. Kinda cool so far but their weapon selection is pretty small. I take it that their toolbelt and kits make up for that?

Yup. Almost every build worth playing with engineer has at least one kit with it, some have two or more. For damage, Bomb kit is popular for power builds, Flamethrower for Condition builds, and Grenades for both (depending on traits) For the rest Tool kit is for tankiness, Elixir Gun for heal and support, Mortar for combo fields and Med Kit... noone uses med kit. One major difference between kits and normal weapon swapping and ele atunements (other than taking up utility slots) is there are no cooldowns with switching to, from or between kits, so regularly swapping between kits and your weapons for the hardest-hitting skill off cooldown is a big part of getting the most oomph out of them.

That being said, if you want something that's fairly strong and simple to use, I usually run a Rifle with Healing Turret, Rifle Turret, Tool Kit, and a stunbreak (usually utility googles or Elixir U) for when I just don't care. Pick up Static Discharge and you can have a build with pretty crazy burst potential, which works for most open world encounters where you don't need to sustain dps at all.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    tool kit is god tier

I have real trouble trying not to justify it in a build

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Man so after my farming adventure yesterday I dumped basically all my spoils into the Guild Hall and I noticed that well we do need a fuckton of leather

So I'm wondering if at some point the guild wouldn't mind getting together a 5 to 10 man group to actually run up and down the Glue Farm tower grabbing leather just to dump into the bank sometime. Like maybe for an hour or so.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if the notes allude to anything like this, but if they can make it easier for a solo person to jump into a WvW map and find people to fight with more easily, I'd be living in those maps. I just hate jumping into a borderland and running around for 10 minutes looking for a tag or even a small squad and finding nothing except the occasional roamer. If it was easier to find and travel to the fight, it'd be easier to learn and love WvW for people who find it a little daunting now.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    yeah, WvW needs a little love

though, I've been researching what WvW guilds have been saying to do - a surprising number of them are pretty good sports and, for example, discourage piling on lone roamers

but if at some point folk wanted to have a regular small squad WvW thing I'd be down (the zerg is booooooooring)

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    part of the problem is that the wvw maps are just too big. it takes forever to get from the zone in spot to wherever the action is, and sometimes you need to figure out where everyone is because there isnt a tag up. It's like playing a Battlefield vehicle map without vehicles, you just run forever without seeing another person.

• Options
    well, I know the thing you do as a solo is primarily hit supply caravans and backcap easy locations

fightin' human players is mostly incidental, in that case

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    The Deranged HermitThe Deranged Hermit Inside the walls Merry Old EnglandRegistered User regular
    WuvWuv is actually getting a significant update and it looks pretty darn sweet.

I finished crafting Astralaria yesterday and was going to take break from chasing legendaries for a bit...but that back pack....I need it. Looks like something an ork warboss or maybe chaos lord would wear in 40K.

When getting my gift of battle from wuv for Astralaria over the long weekend I actually ended up having a blast and stayed many hours after I had got my gift of battle. With the first commander we were zerg hunting chopping up groups bigger than ours, great fun. The next commander was a siege machine knocking on doors and ninjaing towers, also great fun - at one point capping a tower a bigger zerg showed up and the comm got us off the cap point until they started streaming inside, then we capped the tower, the gates came back up cutting their zerg in half and we jumped down and cut them to pieces, then we poured out the portal and murdered the other half :D

Steam: the_deranged_hermit
    GW2: Tavalisk.9463
  • Options
    WuvWuv is actually getting a significant update and it looks pretty darn sweet.

I finished crafting Astralaria yesterday and was going to take break from chasing legendaries for a bit...but that back pack....I need it. Looks like something an ork warboss or maybe chaos lord would wear in 40K.

When getting my gift of battle from wuv for Astralaria over the long weekend I actually ended up having a blast and stayed many hours after I had got my gift of battle. With the first commander we were zerg hunting chopping up groups bigger than ours, great fun. The next commander was a siege machine knocking on doors and ninjaing towers, also great fun - at one point capping a tower a bigger zerg showed up and the comm got us off the cap point until they started streaming inside, then we capped the tower, the gates came back up cutting their zerg in half and we jumped down and cut them to pieces, then we poured out the portal and murdered the other half :D

yeah, these are some pretty nice changes that are far, far overdue for wuvwuv.

253J736.png
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    someone say wuvwuv? what'd they do and add a new currency or loot drop to fill up the ole bags? Some other bs nonsense like they always do and this game sucks and blah blah blah....

<read skirmishing details>

urge to kill r-i-s-i-n-g....

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Just hit the 15k mark for achievements with the daily today. Woo Woo. Radiant Mantle is mine.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    someone say wuvwuv? what'd they do and add a new currency or loot drop to fill up the ole bags? Some other bs nonsense like they always do and this game sucks and blah blah blah....

what is best in life?

253J736.png
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular

what is best in life?

Fort Kickass

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options

what is best in life?

Fort Kickass

i already updated my client. I can only get so aroused.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options

what is best in life?

Fort Kickass

!

/dusts off WvW build & gear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQo1HIcSVtg

• Options

what is best in life?

Fort Kickass

I'm off work for the next few weeks due to a fun surgical procedure. Should make for good times gaming wise.

253J736.png
  • Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    Haven't played in quite some time.

WvW in guild was a ton of fun. I don't think I played much of it since HoT.

Looking forward to changes that make it more popular.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Whoops, mispost in the wrong thread, sorry.

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    LeandriellLeandriell Registered User regular
    Reminder - guild all event on Sunday
    Leandriell wrote: »
    It's time! We're going back to the Golden City for our guild hall!

Next week 4th June, at Noon Pacific, 8PM UK, 7PM Server or 10 minutes before this post (old missions o clock)

What's all this then?
    We're switching guild halls, which means we need to capture the other hall. See here for details: http://dulfy.net/2015/10/23/gw2-guild-hall-claiming-and-upgrade-guide/

Guild halls? What?
    How to Guild Hall

Why the switch?
    Firstly, it's prettier! And who doesn't like golden awesomeness.
    Secondly, here's two sets of guild weapon skins, and you can only get the second set from the other hall. We've been collecting Shimmering Crystals for the Shimmering Weapons, now we need to collect Tenebrous Crystals for the Tenebrous Weapons if we didn't last time

How do I know if I have enough Shimmering Crystals?
    You need 160 to make all the weapons. An additional 66 is still useful, but not necessary, since you can make the armor from either crystal type.

Do I need to do anything while we still have Lost Precipice?
    Mine the guild gathering every day until you have 160 Tenebrous Crystals! You don't need to actually buy anything, just accumulate the materials.

Are there any requirements to partcipate?
    Be level 80, own Heart of Thorns, be in [NICE] on NA servers, have TS (listen only is fine), and show up!

Once it's ours, some of our officers and veteran novices will be on hand to decorate, you can direct us!

(this post shamelessly plagarised from the last guild hall event - thanks @Kylindra )

• Options
    whens the changes go live?

• Options
    The Deranged HermitThe Deranged Hermit Inside the walls Merry Old EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Tuesday! Tuesday! Tuesday!

The Deranged Hermit on
    Steam: the_deranged_hermit
    GW2: Tavalisk.9463
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    Tuesday for wuv, following Tuesday for PvP season, and the Tuesday after that for PvP auto tournaments.

Which are neat but more importantly WUVWUV

• Options
    wvw is so disappointing to play as some classes. like my thief :( nobody wants me in their group and its because all i can do is throw down a poison cloud and run away with my bow.

• Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    I think as a thief to enjoy wuv you have to enjoy roaming, ganking and general havoc.

Or you can roll a mesmer and boonshare everyone to death.

Or a guardian and be like "CHARRRRGE" and cleanse and stability and such.

Or a rev and do what the guardian does.

Or an elementalist and drop all of the fields.

Or a warrior running phalanx strength and basically do whatever the hell you want as long as its near other people.

Or a necro with epi and watch everything melt.

Or an engi and help the necros melt everything while blasting the eles fields.

Thieves roam. It's what they do.

With rangers, cause rangers actually don't do well in zergs either, and rangers are all like "hey I got infinity heals for roaming so the thief won't ever die and I won't either"

And possibly also mesmers because boonshare and extra stealth lulz

• Options
    I'm still trying to figure out if the engi mortar is as good as I initially thought it was

it would probably be stupid good with a viper set

as long as, you know, nobody so much as spits on me

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Rangers and Thieves really need to stay at the periphery of the fight, use their mobility to take out targets, and otherwise cause havoc. Neither class is going to be able to stand at the frontline alongside the warriors and guardians and take that punishment. Thieves are probably the best class at: "see that guy over there? yeah, fuck him," and just destroying that target and then getting out without a scratch. If you're trying to stay in the furball and go toe to toe, then you're going to have problems.

253J736.png
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I mean. You can come out tuesday night. I'm sure shenanigans will occur as long no as a few folks are on

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    I just threw together some gear for a burn guardian set i saw on metabattle. Its kind of nuts in wvw, i literally set entire raids on fire. Also guardian is much better in spvp as it doesnt instantly die to a stiff breeze. Thief just doesnt work against anyone who is actually working as a team. Its fun when you do get that 1v1 or help a teammate by making it a 2v1, but that just doesnt seem to be often enough for me to keep forcing it.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I wonder if my current reaper setup would be any good for wuvwuv. I'm probably too lazy to go changing my entire setup right now if it ain't good since I just recently got it how I like it for PvE, and I'm too cheap to buy a whole set of new gear for it at the moment, but I wonder how it'd do as-is. If anyone wants to critique, feel free as I might eventually get around to changing stuff.
    Currently using a full set of dire gear with runes of scavenging, the reforged Caladbolg greatsword with a sigil of chilling and bursting, and a dire scepter and knife (currently no sigils in those, oops). Here's a couple screenshots showing my stats and build

wrcVY9a.jpg
    3A2e4v0.jpg

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    The longstanding build for Necromancers in WvW zergs is Wells, Staff, and more Wells. With Reaper you can trade a couple of those wells for shouts (Suffer and Nothing Can Save You for offense, You Are All Weaklings for your fastest stunbreak, plus Chilled to the Bone as your elite regardless) but with the Necro's complete lack of skills that have blocks or evades, you are at your best right behind the front line raining ruin with conditions and AoEs (which means, sadly, that Caladbolg as a greatsword, is a no-go).

Oh, and you'll need to bring Consume Conditions, because there will be times you will get simultaneously hit with almost every condition in the game, and you will need a hardcore condi clear for when that happens.

As for some good news, Dire is a respectable statset to choose, and the traits are good as well, though you'll want the unblockable marks trait from Soul Reaping; nothing is as sweet (or assuring of death) as interrupting a Guardian's Shelter heal with your staff 5, putting it on it's full cooldown with 0 healing gained from it.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.