As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Forza] Horizon 5 - That Went Well - Retired

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    To a series newcomer like myself, the spins smack of lootboxes that got cut at the last minuite.

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    I don't really mind them, just let me buy clothes like I can cars ffs.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    Red Raevyn wrote: »
    *shrug* It's all free to me, I think the spins are fun. Then again I've never found myself in any state but swimming in cars and unspent money in short order - maybe because I like the lower classes so the cars are all cheap. It'd probably be tough if you're a collector or like the hypercars.

My drivatars are all goofed up - everyone's driver level is 1, no one has liveries at all (not even acid), and they're doing some dumb stuff. For example coming in to a 90 degree right hander, they're on the left side, randomly swerve hard to right side of the track then back to left before making the turn... ? Anyone else's exhibiting this? I thought maybe the game was offline or something but I'm seeing people driving around in the world.

I'm definitely seeing an infuriatingly low amount of PA'ers drivatars using liveries. And drivatar AI has always been all A and no I in general.

Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Yeah the wheel spins have treated me well. I have a grip of cars in every class (including X) so I’m fine. I’ve only bought one car with credits so far (gotta have my Cooper), the rest are all wheel spins and barn finds. Every couple days I see I have a dozen wheel spins available, and I walk away with a couple cars.

Clothes are tough though. My man needs to step up his game.

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Car horns need to be shot into the sun. Everything else is fine.

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    more like puke, am I right!?

why oh why does PA not have a disagree button?

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Cristoval wrote: »
    Car horns need to be shot into the sun. Everything else is fine.

My rubber ducky horn is the best.

Why you gotta be so wrong?

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    I got 5 car horns in a ROW when all I needed was a fresh pair of kicks. I'm SALTY.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    So I'm slowly learning things here. A) I do not need to push myself to S1 level cars! Yay, I can tune them back down lower where I can actually drive them competently. B) watching a stream to earn Mixer exp I learned I already own several cars with Perks that give me another FE car! Yay!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    It's just nothing takes me out of the game then watching my car being driven by a guy wearing shorts and hoodie in a open cab vehicle during winter in a rally track.

And then, when u win, this thing just do this 3 seconds long dance over and over and over. Just, fuck, it make it look like this game takes place in an alien human zoo.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    It's just nothing takes me out of the face then watching my card being driven by a guy wearing shorts and hoodie in a open cab vehicle during winter in a rally track.

And then, when u win, this thing just do this 3 seconds long dance over and over and over. Just, fuck, it make it look like this game takes place in an alien human zoo.

For your first point, you can make it so your guy is wearing a parka, snow pants, mittens, winter hats, etc. You could also choose the non-convertable car option.

For your second, it's better than a plain black screen that says loading and nothing else for a minute while the game loads. There are also dance options that is your guy just standing there doing nothing.

Veevee on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I don't really know anything about automotive racing....festivals...but from Horizon, I assume they're absolutely inundated with hipsters to the point where you could cut through the vape smoke with a knife.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    It's just nothing takes me out of the face then watching my card being driven by a guy wearing shorts and hoodie in a open cab vehicle during winter in a rally track.

For your first point, you can make it so your guy is wearing a parka, snow pants, mittens, winter hats, etc. You could also choose the non-convertable car option.

For your second, it's better than a plain black screen that says loading and nothing else for a minute while the game loads. There are also dance options that is your guy just standing there doing nothing.

It they could display data about how you perform in the course.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Wow, you guys are no fun. Just because something is goofy doesn't mean it's """hipster."""
    Also the wheelspins aren't for microtransactions, they've been in the game since Horizon 1 back in 2012.

• Options
    Buy the $2million house, get 5 super wheel spins that turn into 4 more superwheel spins and a dozen regular wheel spins, suddenly have $1.8million extra cash

Wheel spins are wonderful.

• Options
    I love wheel spins!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Buy the $2million house, get 5 super wheel spins that turn into 4 more superwheel spins and a dozen regular wheel spins, suddenly have $1.8million extra cash

Must be nice. I'm sitting on piles of shitty clothes it's giving me flashbacks of my ex closet.

• Options
    Small tip: car bonuses remain unlocked if transferred to another player. I don't know if there is a way to check, but some cars on the auction house could have some or most or even all of their bonuses already unlocked. Bought a cheap FE car from the auction house and all the bonuses were already unlocked.

• Options
    Small tip: car bonuses remain unlocked if transferred to another player. I don't know if there is a way to check, but some cars on the auction house could have some or most or even all of their bonuses already unlocked. Bought a cheap FE car from the auction house and all the bonuses were already unlocked.

Currently there is no way to check. I was reading about it the other day.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Must be nice. I'm sitting on piles of shitty clothes it's giving me flashbacks of my ex closet.

If I could buy these virtual clothes with my virtual money then my virtual closet would be a lot fuller and I would be a lot broker. Virtually.

Veevee on
  • Options
    mollehmolleh Registered User regular

Last I heard, there is one problem with this, and that is the cars that have an unlockable car in their skilltree (example: the Nissan R390 can unlock the Nismo LM FE) can have that car already unlocked, and the new "owner" doesn't get the Nismo, nor can they unlock it. In other words, you'd have to either luck out and buy one that didn't already have the car unlocked in the skilltree, or win/buy your own so you can be 100% sure you can unlock the bonus car.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    finally picked this up

i wish pulse was better.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    finally picked this up

i wish pulse was better.

And it only get worse. It is the whole soundtrack there's only 3 I truly enjoy.

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    finally picked this up

i wish pulse was better.

For a good time call make sure to ALWAYS use AWD and use dirt tires on A/B class and above. In snow always use dirt/snow tires. I know you love your RWD, but it is crap and non-competitive in Horizon.
    Just hoping to help you not hate this iteration of Horizon <3

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    finally picked this up

i wish pulse was better.

For a good time call make sure to ALWAYS use AWD and use dirt tires on A/B class and above. In snow always use dirt/snow tires. I know you love your RWD, but it is crap and non-competitive in Horizon.

ah, i regret buying it then.

i had heard the pi balance was more like 2, where RWD was totally viable and the only drivetrain i ever used.

oh well, guess i can save my time and play something else.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    RWD isnt completely dead, but the launch boost that AWD gives makes it the best option. RWD will generally have a higher top speed, but acceleration tends to be much more important in multi.

• Options
    finally picked this up

i wish pulse was better.

ah, i regret buying it then.

i had heard the pi balance was more like 2, where RWD was totally viable and the only drivetrain i ever used.

oh well, guess i can save my time and play something else.

Well at least try it out with RWD and see how it goes. Or use AWD with a heavy rear bias?

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I'm not a car guy, why does nothing in this game have front wheel drive? And what makes AWD better than RWD?

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    I'm not a car guy, why does nothing in this game have front wheel drive? And what makes AWD better than RWD?

The only reason why this game has FWD is because people have fond memories of racing their FWD civics in real life. AWD isn't necessarily better then RWD (well, in the real world outside of the game), it really depends on how the drivetrain is tuned to behave. A lot of AWD sport cars are RWD only until the rear wheels are slipping, for example.

But to make a long 'it depends' short, AWD cars can put the power to the pavement without losing traction. In FH4, I'm rarely off the gas when I'm driving a AWD vehicle because they tend to be neutral enough to they'll pull themselves out of corners without too much understeer (well, most AWD cars. The RS200 is a slippery fun time of a ride).

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    I don't know if it's because of it's weight or the games physics can't quite do it right but I took a VW Bus and maxed it out to S1 888 and that thing handles super well. Good acceleration, good top speed and great handling. I expected it to be top heavy and want to roll over all the time.

I'm also using a Mystery Machine Livery on it, I couldn't resist.

Also Rally Monsters are so fun to drive.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Crippl3 wrote: »

FWD in general is awful for racing so there aren't a ton of cars with it in racing games. In a car, the engine weights a lot so most vehicles are heavier in the front. If you accelerate too hard in a FWD car you lose traction in the wheels you are steering with. In RWD if you accelerate too hard you aren't affecting your steering as much in comparison.
    AWD helps cars have better control on dirt or snow, but on the downside they weight more and aren't as efficient power wise. The amount of power coming out of an engine is not equal to the amount of power at the wheels because of efficiency loss going through transmission and differential(s). In an AWD car there are more parts that each have their own efficiency loss. So for real world racing, RWD is lighter and puts power to the ground more efficiently. In situations where a car has better traction on pavement then RWD is usually preferable. When you are racing offroad with less traction you want to be able to distribute the power more evenly since your tires will be slipping a lot. In those conditions the weight/efficiency trade off is less important than being able to put the power down and have the car move.

Also what Casually Hardcore said.

Edit: If an AWD car is on dirt sliding around a corner you can press the accelerator and the front wheels can "pull" the car straight. In the same situation with RWD the only thing you can do is apply less acceleration to prevent the car from sliding more. This is a simplified explanation, but you get the gist.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    So apparently this is on GamePass, so I have it now. Curious to see if it plays any better with my wheel than FH3 did.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    I cannot launch a car to save my life in this game. Why did they get rid of the couple seconds of pre-race prep time to rev the engine up?

• Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    For Crippl3 I think you guys skipped past why FWD isn't great in racing. Your tires only have so much traction. Steering, braking and accelerating all use up traction. The front wheels have to steer, so they don't have as much traction available to accelerate with (while steering ie corner exit). So if you try to accelerate too much while steering and overwhelm the tires, you'll detract from your steering and the car will go towards the outside of the corner (called understeer). This is very frustrating when racing and not a lot of fun. (in contrast to RWD's oversteer where the rear starts to come around and it's more fun to manage with the throttle)

In practical real world use this is a safety benefit, and is a big part of why most modern non-sports cars are FWD. With a RWD loss of traction usually means the back end wants to come around - putting you potentially broadside into oncoming traffic, trees, etc. Getting hit in the side is tough to protect. But with a FWD loss of traction usually means understeering aka plowing your front end into an obstacle, and modern cars with crumple zones are all about sacrificing their front portions to save the occupants.
    mRahmani wrote: »
    I cannot launch a car to save my life in this game. Why did they get rid of the couple seconds of pre-race prep time to rev the engine up?
    I think to make it simpler? In FH4 I just hold the throttle full at start and it's always a decent launch. Maybe you're over thinking it?

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    That strategy works for AWD but not RWD. I'm getting straight up murdered at the first drag race event.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    That might be setup - what kind of car are you running and what does your tune look like? First time I tried drag I did terribly, and I had to spend a while tuning to get a car to really stick. I took a lot of time just changing tuning settings. My '95 911 GT2 is running 55/15 psi front/rear, with 3.10 final drive, slammed soft front with stiff high rear suspension, full rebound stiffness f/r, bump soft in front and 8 on rear. Also have the acceleration for my diff at 100 of course. That got me to sub 9 seconds in S1. I just tried it again and holding the throttle from the start is launching me well, but I do have to shift to 2nd quickly.

Also, manual with clutch for the instant shifts (clutch on A, and use the base of your thumb to hit it at the same time as you're hitting X or B to shift). Trying it with automatic took me from 8.95 to 9.67.

I agree it's kinda weird that if you're in free roam the drag tree works properly but in rivals and events they do it this way, but at least they put it at a good RPM for us.

Red Raevyn on
  • Options
    i forgot just how much horizon wants you in an s1/s2 car when you're fiddling around in the world, because otherwise all the random world stuff is mostly pointless.

bummer.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Warning for route creation. The flow is pick starting point, drive route and drop checkpoints, then test drive it, THEN you can save the custom route. If you don't finish the test drive (say you realize one of your checkpoints was dumb, and assume you can go change it) everything is gone. Toootally gone.

You still don't have an event, you've just saved a route. To use it, go back to the starting point and choose blueprint, then there is a route selection option and you can pick your route there.

When you're driving the route you can turn around to "erase" your tracks but so far I don't see any way to remove a checkpoint once placed. Even when it was within my rewind window (which btw includes time spent stopped), it didn't pick up the checkpoint. So place them carefully. There's no editing at all afterwards, for that matter I can't even figure out how to change a title or delete the test track I made.

That said I call this one NASCAR

• Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    So there was a patch last night... as all of us who tried to race together found out. But it's a big patch, so here's the details.

First, the new schedule for the next 4 weeks:
    baf690a5-1827-4b3b-bcc9-e02016b43daf.jpg?n=FH4_Update2_Seasons_story2.jpg

Patch Notes:
    Complete patchnote :
    We're constantly working to improve the experience in Forza Horizon 4. Below you will find a summary of items fixed or improved upon in this Content Update.

Route Creator
    This update adds the Route Creator to Forza Horizon 4. Create custom routes of up to 40 miles from any Asphalt, Dirt or Cross-Country Event starting location. Draw the custom route by driving your car, and place checkpoints anywhere you want to. Blueprint Creator has been updated to allow you to use custom routes.

New Horizon Story
    This update adds a new Horizon Story to Forza Horizon 4 called 'British Racing Green', which explores a century of cars built in Britain. Access the story in Broadway by reaching Level 50, and unlock a new quick chat phrase, a new unique clothing item, and the classic Bentley 8 Litre.

Cross-Platform Fixes

General stability and performance improvements.
    Multiple engine audio improvements based on community feedback.

Added quit option in Quickplay Team Adventure after finishing an Adventure.

Improvements to Force Feedback understeer effect

Fix for progress loss on Forzathon Challenges.

Fix for rewards not being awarded in Seasonal Championships and Trial events.

Fix for blurring on the edges of a moving target car in Photo Mode.

Fix to avoid early completion of Trial events and allow all events to be finished.

Fix for VIP House reward exploit.

Fix for reset system not placing the car correctly when changing season after an event.

Improvements to free-roam Drivatar behaviour, when driving round tight corners

Fix for calculation of team score in Horizon Stories Co-op sessions during time-based challenges.

Fix for Forzathon Weekly Bonus not updating correctly in the UI.

Fix for HDR brightness calibration screen.

Fix for traffic cars not spawning sometimes after a Barn Find cinematic.

Fix for rotating wheels when car is stationary in Pause Menu, ForzaVista and Drone Mode.

PC Fixes
    Fix for video options being lost when tweaking AMD GPU clock speeds.

Increased quality of grass and tree procedurals at distance when Procedural Quality setting is set to Extreme.

Fix for 'low streaming bandwidth' message on high spec PCs when GPU-limited.

Fix for crash when changing audio devices whilst a video is playing.

A lot of good fixes there (it also seems, unlisted, that they made horns more audible), but obviously the big one is the Route Creator. It will take some practice, but it's really open ended. To access the Creator, go to any Cross-Country, Dirt or Road event start point (that will be your starting line) and select Create Route. You then drive the route (it is not locked to roads) up to 40 miles, which becomes the Driving Line (that's where it's most finicky right now) setting Checkpoint, which can have their width adjusted, as you go. Circuits are possible, but I'm given to understand the finish line is a little hard to judge (it's more back where the end of the grid would be). You then have to test drive it with drivatar opponents, after which it will be shared and available online to be used in created Blueprints.

The Route Creator, in the right hands, is going to produce some fun... and in the wrong hands it will surely unleash some Fun. There are already a lot of proper rally stages and many, MANY Nürburgring copies about, some of them look quite good.

Bloodsheed on
    Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    That's really good. I wonder if that fixes the spatial audio-related CTD on PC.