As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Forza] Horizon 5 - That Went Well - Retired

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Knight_ wrote: »
    lol i figured i would do the coop challenge to get the green man suit, took 2 tries but we won the 2nd time, but apparently literally only the person who gets first wins the outfit? that's so incredibly stupid.
    What I saw reported is that the game uses the lowest driveatar difficulty among all the players. So if even one person in the event doesn’t have it set to unbeatable, then no one can get the reward

Edit: which is also incredibly stupid

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Handkor wrote: »
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Pretty sure my entire team just now in a Team Adventure missed the first checkpoint of the final race, and it didn't rewind any of us so we all ended up losing in the bottom positions. Why give me a CHECKPOINT MISSED countdown if you aren't going to rewind me

I had that happen twice. The first time I press Y to rewind time which made no sense in multiplayer and it teleported me back before the checkpoint so I could recover. The second time I didn't press Y to rewind time thinking the first time's teleport was just a coincidence and it let me continue to dive telling me I missed a checkpoint and then not do anything when pressing Y cause the timer expired.

If the checkpoint missed prompt was instantaneous giving me enough time to brake/reverse/turn around and take the checkpoint I would not have any problem but currently if you don't press Y by the time the prompt shows up turning around is pointless and might as well just take you out and DNF you.

In the videos I've seen, you get teleported back to the checkpoint in muliplayer rather than being rewound.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    lol i figured i would do the coop challenge to get the green man suit, took 2 tries but we won the 2nd time, but apparently literally only the person who gets first wins the outfit? that's so incredibly stupid.
    What I saw reported is that the game uses the lowest driveatar difficulty among all the players. So if even one person in the event doesn’t have it set to unbeatable, then no one can get the reward

Edit: which is also incredibly stupid

lol that's so stupid. at least i never have to engage with those events ever again, they give shitty rewards too on top of it all.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    When FH3 came out it had hideous video performance issues even for people with high end graphics cards. They fixed it a few months after it came out, but it was pretty damn bad. It also crashed a fair amount on PC and Xbox.

At least my experience with FH4 on PC has been much better.

I did some ranked last night and I got A class snow cross country, A class dirt, and S2 road.
    I was kind of assuming after doing 10 qualifying races it would have placed me somewhere other than at the bottom of the lowest rank. I consistently finished in the top 1/3rd of my qualifying races.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I've never had a single crash in FH3 on Xbox One--to be honest, this is the first I've heard about it crashing on console at any time, including immediately after launch.

Admittedly though, I didn't own it that early, and PC could easily be a different story. Motorsport has been rock solid on console since launch, as usual.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Mc zany wrote: »
    Pretty sure my entire team just now in a Team Adventure missed the first checkpoint of the final race, and it didn't rewind any of us so we all ended up losing in the bottom positions. Why give me a CHECKPOINT MISSED countdown if you aren't going to rewind me

I had that happen twice. The first time I press Y to rewind time which made no sense in multiplayer and it teleported me back before the checkpoint so I could recover. The second time I didn't press Y to rewind time thinking the first time's teleport was just a coincidence and it let me continue to dive telling me I missed a checkpoint and then not do anything when pressing Y cause the timer expired.

If the checkpoint missed prompt was instantaneous giving me enough time to brake/reverse/turn around and take the checkpoint I would not have any problem but currently if you don't press Y by the time the prompt shows up turning around is pointless and might as well just take you out and DNF you.

In the videos I've seen, you get teleported back to the checkpoint in muliplayer rather than being rewound.

They should have automated it instead. Not pressing Y accomplishes nothing to help you get back in the race.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

They should have automated it instead. Not pressing Y accomplishes nothing to help you get back in the race.

It is automated? If you miss a check point you have a limited distance to turn around, but if you go to far the countdown timer starts and once it hits 0 you get placed right in front of the middle of the missed check point.

If you hit Y and have rewinds turned on you'll be rewound to a point that will, in my experience, take you right past the check point again. I find it's best to just keep driving if you miss a checkpoint and get auto reset in front of the check point.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Veevee wrote: »

It is automated? If you miss a check point you have a limited distance to turn around, but if you go to far the countdown timer starts and once it hits 0 you get placed right in front of the middle of the missed check point.

If you hit Y and have rewinds turned on you'll be rewound to a point that will, in my experience, take you right past the check point again. I find it's best to just keep driving if you miss a checkpoint and get auto reset in front of the check point.

In the coop race I was doing it just let me continue driving until the end of the race but my ranking dropped as people passed the checkpoint. Never teleported unless I hit Y while the timer was up.

In solo though it's as you described.

I miss the progression from Forza Horizon where every race had a championship mode that worked towards a "boss" race. I liked the challenge of being forced to do the races with specific cars, rating and difficulty. FH4 has that in the seasonal championships but I wish they still had a fixed "beat this race". Exhibition always feels hollow and pointless, i'd prefer to be forced to finish in the top three to bronze/silver/gold races in order to level up the race type to unlock more more races until the ultimate races by type.

They mentioned wristbands in the intro and then I never heard about them again.

Handkor on
  • Options
    Veevee wrote: »

In the coop race I was doing it just let me continue driving until the end of the race but my ranking dropped as people passed the checkpoint. Never teleported unless I hit Y while the timer was up.

In solo though it's as you described.

Not sure what's going on then, because that's how it's worked in every multiplayer event I've tried.

• Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    If this car wasn't white overall I'd think these convoys were following me into real life...
    jpqt77cos6jd.jpg

• Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Red Raevyn wrote: »
    If this car wasn't white overall I'd think these convoys were following me into real life...
    jpqt77cos6jd.jpg

There are no fewer than 3 different Jurassic Park liveried cars of various quality around here in real life that I see on a regular basis. It's weird.

Bloodsheed on
    Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    If I owned a car, you know I'd have one.
    Bear owns 2, so I'm not sure what his excuse is. :P

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Bone Shaker is in the Forzathon shop this week, if you're wondering how to get it for the championship.
    I love the Hot Wheels cars, they're so dumb.

• Options
    Under the colossus event I have 5 custom events using the massive loop course. 1 for each class (C, B, A, S1, S2) with no car restrictions. It's set for a single lap which takes ~15 minutes and gives ~75,000 credits and ~30,000 road racing influence points.

Also, just had this happen

bye48su7j6kk.jpg

Convoy, anyone?

• Options
    So how do I progress the Photographer track, other than taking photos?

• Options

Taking and sharing them is the only way, I think. In theory people viewing/rating the photos might move it too, but that is only a theory as no one actually does that.

• Options
    Bloodsheed wrote: »

Taking and sharing them is the only way, I think. In theory people viewing/rating the photos might move it too, but that is only a theory as no one actually does that.

Dang :/
    Also, is the car photography thing still in? I'm level 70 and photographer 2 or 3, still haven't seen it yet.

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    Makes me wonder why they took horizon promo out. That would match up perfect with photo xp

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Feels good getting rank 10 on the danger signs, and I'm glad it's not set to require 3 stars on all of them to do it. Kinda like speed traps, some just feel like it's only a few specific cars I'll have to hunt down to complete them.

Found a tune for the Porsche Cayman GTS that's designed for dirt racing and holy shit is it a riot to drive. (zalmoxis91 is the creator, if you're curious)

• Options
    Bobble wrote: »
    Feels good getting rank 10 on the danger signs, and I'm glad it's not set to require 3 stars on all of them to do it. Kinda like speed traps, some just feel like it's only a few specific cars I'll have to hunt down to complete them.

Found a tune for the Porsche Cayman GTS that's designed for dirt racing and holy shit is it a riot to drive. (zalmoxis91 is the creator, if you're curious)
    I like this Cayman!

• Options
    The guy has a Google doc where you can lookup other tunes he's done by category: https://www.reddit.com/r/forza/comments/9mma1r/dont_know_which_car_to_race_next_you_want_a/

I'm gonna be browsing that for new cars to try pretty often I think.

• Options
    I won't be on tonight because election anxiety watch party.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    god damn how do you get 3 stars in horizon 4 drift zones

Like what car, what tune, what stats do I need for like handling braking, and what technique? I kind of just press a and hope to stay on the road, I've tried fast turns and slow.

I see people with scores like triple mine and I just can't even get close

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »

Like what car, what tune, what stats do I need for like handling braking, and what technique? I kind of just press a and hope to stay on the road, I've tried fast turns and slow.

Pfft, 3 stars. Maybe someday I will get 2 stars on one of them... (I am... very bad at controlled prolonged drifting).

• Options
    edited November 2018

Pfft, 3 stars. Maybe someday I will get 2 stars on one of them... (I am... very bad at controlled prolonged drifting).

I'm using a VW Bus maxed out at S1 888 for drift zones and usually get 2 star and 3 if I really really try. It's hard to get started but once sideways it's pretty stable while holding down the throttle and working the joystick to stay sideways. I can easily get 25-40k points but it seems to max out at 50k. So far though the only drift zones I've done have been with Forzathon Live and when the 3rd event is drift I'll usually stay after to max out my score.

I have been meaning to make a specialized drift car like the one in the Drift Storyline challenge, that car was slippery.

Handkor on
  • Options
    ebotasticebotastic Going Gonzo In People's HeartsRegistered User regular

I three starred all but a couple of the drift zones in the Formula Drift Dodge Viper within the first two tries of the zone. Pretty much all of the drift zones over dirt are butts, though.

To start with the basics:
    Traction control off
    Stability control off
    Manual shifting
    Drift suspension
    RWD

Lighter cars are easier to throw around. I would think something front heavy would help keep the front tires planted. Thinner rear tires help.

I've heard drifting described as "steering with your throttle." The idea is you want to keep your rear tires spinning so they're constantly losing grip and not trying to push the car forward (too much). As such, keep the car in lower gears (I like third gear) for more torque.

If you need to change direction let off the throttle, turn the wheel to the opposite lock, apply throttle.

Speed and angle factor into the drift scores - the faster you are and the closer to (I'm guessing) 45 degrees diagonally the more points you get.

I hope that helps.

Please, call me ebo.
  • Options
    Also keep in mind that as long as you don't go the wrong way down the road you won't fail the drift zone, and there is no time limit to get through the zone. If you spin out don't panic, just stop the car and if you are pointed the wrong way put the car into reverse and J-Turn it.

• Options
    To add to what ebo said, technique is far more important than anything else: about any car with a bunch of power and the drift suspension is going to be driftable, though a well tuned car certainly makes it easier. This guy's video is a pretty good introduction and advice. As far as what car, first just grab some stock muscle car (like an old Mustang) and practice the basic stuff with that. When you've got a feel for how to slide around, a car that's very happy to be sideways is the Hoonigan Twerkstallion. I think everyone that bought the game gets it free?

https://youtu.be/ukcGHKwCut8?t=150

• Options
    Man I just can't do it. It's maddening. Thanks for the advice tho I'll keep trying. It's giving me a few thousand extra points, but not the tens of thousands I need. I mainly spin out now, I think I just don't have the mental room for it, it's like patting your head and rubbing your stomach, by the time I get a handle on when to time the throttle I oversteer, when I don't oversteer I time the throttle horribly

• Options
    Yeah it's a lot of practice. Like doing a wheelie in real life it feels easy when it becomes more automatic, but if I think about what my fingers are doing my steering and throttle fingers are making tiny adjustments constantly. I was playing with tunes tonight and got a decent drift setup for the '97 M3 if you wanna try it, title is "Drift sports" and description has "PA likes to slide" so you can just search for PA. You can get the 97 M3 already tuned to S in the AH for like 17,000 credits, which might make the upgrade a little cheaper.

• Options
    Woo I got the drift rank 10 cheev, thanks for the help everyone. Still don't quite know what I'm doing but eh I got it done

• Options
    edited November 2018
    In not-Horizon related news, the Forza Motorsport 7 November Update is out:
    Forza Motorsport 7 November Update - by Brian Ekberg ("Mechberg")
    The November Update for Forza Motorsport 7 is coming on Tuesday, November 6! This month, Forza 7 players will notice some significant changes to the game based on our ongoing communication with the Forza community. First up, prize crates have been officially removed from Forza Motorsport 7; in their place, we’ve added a new Race Shop feature, where players can grab items like Driver Gear, Mod cards, and more. In addition, we’ve made some important changes to collisions in Forza Motorsport 7, which will improve both the single- and multiplayer experiences for all drivers. All that, plus a ton of Hot Wheels fun coming to players this month and a classic Porsche prototype race car that serves as our November Spotlight Car.

Let’s break down the big items arriving in Forza Motorsport 7 in November, starting with this month’s Spotlight Car:

1973 Porsche #6 Penske Sunoco 917/30 Can-Am Spyder
    The age of Can-Am cars was an era of unparalleled speed. The 917/30 driven by Mark Donahue broke A.J Foyt’s closed course record-setting a speed of 221.120, a record that stood for nearly 20 years. It wasn’t just the power, it was the weight of the 917 – a scant 1,765 pounds – that made this car so formidable. It could go from 0 to 60mph in 2.1 seconds, 0 to 100 mph in 3.9 seconds, and 0 to 200 mph in 13.4 seconds. In 1973 those numbers set the 917/30 apart; 45 years later, this classic Porsche racer still astounds.

New Collision Model
    While nearly everyone tries to avoid them, collisions are a part of racing. With the November update, we have implemented some important physics updates that significantly change collisions in the game. These changes can be found across three different areas of the game:

We’ve improved energy dissipation between bodies, as well as the way tire friction is calculated during a collision. This is a global change, which results in “softer” collisions, where collisions absorb energy and the collision impulse happens over a longer period of time.

In multiplayer events, collisions are now resolved locally and blended when the game receives an update from other player(s) in the same multiplayer match. Effectively this means that multiplayer collisions now work like single-player collisions, even in high-latency scenarios.

A new Collision Assist setting scales the amount of body rotation a car can impart on another car in a crash. Players can choose to turn the Collision Assist on or off and players will have the option to create lobbies that use this assist (or ones that do not). This collision assist is meant to curb griefing; and a car hit by a car with this assist engaged will also receive the assist.

The sum of these changes means that contact and collisions feel much different in Forza 7 with this update. Car contact when side by side will result in fewer spins; tandem drifters will find that their cars will be more tolerant of tiny taps than before, and griefers dive-bombing into Turn 1 will have less of an effect on the rest of the field than before. In all, the new collision model is meant to bring car-to-car contact more in line with the real world, and also make the experience for players of all skill levels that much better.

Race Shop
    Prize crates are gone and the Race Shop is here! The new Race Shop feature gives players the option to purchase Mod cards, Driver Gear, and Badges whenever they like. The Race Shop is found in a new tile on the main menu page of Forza Motorsport 7. The item lineup in the Race Shop is a mixture of Mod cards, Driver Gear, and badges, and the inventory for the Race Shop refreshes every six minutes. In the Race Shop, players can purchase items using in-game credits. These items will vary in cost based on the type of item and its rarity. Driver Gear and badges appearing in the Race Shop that a player already owns will be shown darkened out and won’t be available for purchase, but players will be able to purchase Mod cards that they might already have in their collection.

One important note for new Forza 7 players: As we announced in Friday’s edition of the Week in Review, we’ve replaced the prize crates that were part of our Forza Rewards programs for new Forza 7 players with Mod cards. New players will now receive Race Mod cards, depending on their Forza Rewards Tier level.

Hot Wheels Cars & More
    Hot Wheels arrive in Forza Motorsport 7! Seven Hot Wheels models arrive tomorrow with the November update. This epic collection of cars is part of our epic celebration of Hot Wheels’ 50th anniversary. In addition to legendary Hot Wheels vehicles like the Twin Mill and the Bone Shaker, we’ve got a few new-to-Forza Hot Wheels 50th anniversary rides like the 1970 Hot Wheels Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1, the 1969 Hot Wheels Chevrolet Camaro Super Sport Coupe and the 1963 Hot Wheels Volkswagen Beetle.

We’ve also got new Hot Wheels Driver Gear, including a 50th anniversary edition that will be gifted out to all Forza 7 players. Look for five decade-specific Driver Gear suits available to earn in #Forzathon events over the coming weeks.

https://youtu.be/DdTE6zFKGB4

And while the Race Regulations were not ready in time for the patch, we did get a Preview of them in the Forza Monthly stream (link is to the Twitch clip).

Meanwhile, on a Horizon note from last night, I offer proof that, while ebo's... Morgan Aero... won a Cross Country Race, I argue its win is deeply tainted by shenanigans, namely him throwing a hay bale into my face, and dispute its claim to the True Cross Country Vehicle. Proof:
    https://youtu.be/vbqMyxmi-2M

Bloodsheed on
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    While nearly everyone tries to avoid them, collisions are a part of racing.
    Ha ...
    Fun list otherwise~

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Whoa, are there regular PA Club Horizon races?

ObiFett on
  • Options
    We play Tue/Thu at 9 eastern/6 pacific, come join us!

Maybe I should launch FM7 again...

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Whoa, are there regular PA Club Horizon races?

Tuesday and Thursday nights, from 9pm Eastern to around 10 or 10:30pm Eastern (some can stay later than that). Club party generally goes up around 8:30.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    So I've done at least 3 ranked championships after finishing qualifying. I am still sitting at "Rank 20 - 0" after every one. I don't understand why the numbers are not moving. I consistently finish mid-pack or higher. One of them I finished 1st, 1st, 2nd, and 2nd in the 4 races.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    So I've done at least 3 ranked championships after finishing qualifying. I am still sitting at "Rank 20 - 0" after every one. I don't understand why the numbers are not moving. I consistently finish mid-pack or higher. One of them I finished 1st, 1st, 2nd, and 2nd in the 4 races.

Is your team winning? I believe (never tried it and not enough people play it for info to be plentiful) rank progress goes by team performance, not personal performance.

FH4 got a patch yesterday alongside FM7, FH4 notes:
    Complete patch note :
    We're constantly working to improve the experience in Forza Horizon 4. Below you will find a summary of items fixed or improved upon in this Content Update.

Version Number
    PC: 1.210.773.1
    Xbox: 1.210.773.0

Cross Platform Fixes
    Fixed a bug where some players were not being awarded "Antique Restorer" achievement, despite having collected all the Barn Finds.

Updated the reward for Winter trial to make the Green Morph Suit clothing item available to players.

Fixed a bug where players were unable to get their vehicle reset (either through flipping, or missing a checkpoint) during Team Adventure.

Prevent cars from appearing ghosted whilst in Photo Mode.

Fixed a bug where Drivatars were all showing as Wristband Level 1 in race results screens.

Fixed an issue where completing a Route Blueprint event would leave the player at the end of the on-disc route, rather than the blueprinted route.

Route Blueprint fliers now show "Custom Route" to distinguish then from other Blueprints.

Added a Report button to Designs, Tunes, Photos, Vinyls in the Creative Hub menu.

Fixed an issue where some players were not prompted to join the session.

Reduced the chance of sessions failing to start in Ranked Team Adventure following successful matchmaking.

General Stability improvements.

PC Fixes
    Fixed a bug where changing visual presets with framerate set to >60 will result in mismatch between framerate and UI in-game after a reboot.

Wheel Fixes
    Fixed a bug where users were unable to navigate menus after clearing a custom wheel profile.

Fixed Multi-USB device saving action map issue.

Can confirm drivatars actually have levels besides 1 now.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Fixed a bug where Drivatars were all showing as Wristband Level 1 in race results screens.

missed that in the patch notes and got really confused. How does that work, does it just pull random names from other tags, or friends of friends? I've seen two from my friends list (but only two, neither of whom play forza). I would love to be able to add my other friends to the list for totally non-ramming purposes.

and I finally knocked out all the stars on the rental business (the credit income is just piddling, jeez). If anybody's found a tune that makes this Zenvo drive well, please share. It was pretty meh from what I tried.

Bobble on
  • Options
    Bobble wrote: »

missed that in the patch notes and got really confused. How does that work, does it just pull random names from other tags, or friends of friends? I've seen two from my friends list (but only two, neither of whom play forza). I would love to be able to add my other friends to the list for totally non-ramming purposes.

and I finally knocked out all the stars on the rental business (the credit income is just piddling, jeez). If anybody's found a tune that makes this Zenvo drive well, please share. It was pretty meh from what I tried.

When pulling in the drivatars for the rest of the grid in solo or co-op races, it generally pulls club members and your friends who play Forza first (at all, like even touched any in the series), then maybe your friends who don't, then random players. Up until now, they were all showing up as Level 1, they fixed it so that (assuming they play Forza Horizon 4) they now show up as the in-game level they actually are. It means nothing, gameplay wise, but at least makes the results screen more interesting.