Options

[Star Wars] is OUT! MARK YOUR SPOILERS OR WE WILL END YOU!

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I never saw it and still know almost nothing about it. I remember being surprised recently when someone told me there were live actors in it.

I know there's a battle and the navi win?

it's essentially Dances With Wolves but replace the native americans with aliens

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    I finally saw this on Christmas so now I can catch up with this thread, here where it's almost at the end.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    I never saw it either, and never saw anything about it that made me want to. Once it was out of theaters, I don't think I ever heard another word about it.

edit: They hold the christmas party in the Star Wars thread?

CorporateRed on
    Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    I liked TFA and I feel like it was probably the best Star Wars film to date except maybe ESB?
    The ending was stupidly drawn out, though. I don't think they needed five minutes of Rey wandering towards Luke to close out the movie. Really shoulda been left for 8.

I loved Finn, he was an amazing character, his interactions with Rey felt very genuine.

Kylo Ren was silly but also great, anakin done right.

Pew pew vrrrsh boom boooom.

Coulda done with less blatant nostalgia. The Millennium Falcon felt like overkill. L

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited December 2015

gonna spoiler that because related youtube videos are fucking stupid

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I never saw it and still know almost nothing about it. I remember being surprised recently when someone told me there were live actors in it.

The main conflict is over a material called unobtainium, in case you ever need to see a literary device inserted directly into film.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Alice in Wonderland made a billion. It's one of the most financially successful films ever, noone cares about it and it's a piece of s**t.

There is no accounting for taste.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Larlar wrote: »

The main conflict is over a material called unobtainium, in case you ever need to see a literary device inserted directly into film.
    In the script it was probably <placeholder plot macguffin, fill in name later>

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I saw this too.
    I liked it but did they really have to make episode 4 again? Also why didn't anyone give a crap about those five blown up planets? Like was that the republic Senate or no? And I guess they teach stormtroopers sword fighting, which is why Finn didn't die ten times? Good action, fine acting, too little explanation of what was going on in the galaxy, still very conflicted about the extreme new hope parallels.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    I saw this today.
    The first half of the movie was magnificent. Rey and Finn are wonderfully cast and acted (except a couple of very very minor quibbles.) The setup, story, everything was really great. The second half was good, but something got lost along the way (I think it was about the time the StarKiller got trotted out). Something of the heart and soul that was built up in the first part got lost. From about CP3O up until the Falcon landed on the snow planet was too kitschy and forced nostalgia.

I do agree that no motivation or even much background was given to why the StarKiller got fired, not even the simple excuse the first star wars had for firing upon Alderaan.

Overall, the movie gets a solid B+ from me.

Aside: My wife and I were talking about Avatar recently. We realized as well that the movie had no cultural impact whatsoever. Flash in the pan, make a billion, done. Like so many action movies out there. Had no soul.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Syphyre wrote: »
    I saw this today.
    The first half of the movie was magnificent. Rey and Finn are wonderfully cast and acted (except a couple of very very minor quibbles.) The setup, story, everything was really great. The second half was good, but something got lost along the way (I think it was about the time the StarKiller got trotted out). Something of the heart and soul that was built up in the first part got lost. From about CP3O up until the Falcon landed on the snow planet was too kitschy and forced nostalgia.

I do agree that no motivation or even much background was given to why the StarKiller got fired, not even the simple excuse the first star wars had for firing upon Alderaan.

Aside: My wife and I were talking about Avatar recently. We realized as well that the movie had no cultural impact whatsoever. Flash in the pan, make a billion, done. Like so many action movies out there. Had no soul.

Starkiller
    The First Order is pissed that the Republic is (not so) secretly funding and supporting the Resistance after the cease fire, which feeds their persecution complexes even more and incites them to seek vengeance against that perceived aggression as well as retaliation for the destruction of the Empire in the first place. "Traitors, Murderers, and Thieves" Kylo Ren calls the Resistance and its Republic allies when he's interrogating Rey.

The planets being targeted were where the Republic Senate was set up and where the bulk of the Republic Army was stationed. It was an all-out assault to cut out the Republic entirely so that the Resistance would have to stand on their own. They don't destroy the the planet that Maz's refuge is on with the Starkiller because they still need the map to Luke that is in the BB-8 unit there.

Aistan on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    I saw this today.

Starkiller
    The First Order is pissed that the Republic is (not so) secretly funding and supporting the Resistance after the cease fire, which feeds their persecution complexes even more and incites them to seek vengeance against that perceived aggression as well as retaliation for the destruction of the Empire in the first place. "Traitors, Murderers, and Thieves" Kylo Ren calls the Resistance and its Republic allies when he's interrogating Rey.

The planets being targeted were where the Republic Senate was set up and where the bulk of the Republic Army was stationed. It was an all-out assault to cut out the Republic entirely so that the Resistance would have to stand on their own. They don't destroy the the planet that Maz's refuge is on with the Starkiller because they still need the map to Luke that is in the BB-8 unit there.
    Traitors, murderers and thieves just rings so incredibly hollow from a guy that betrayed his teacher, murdered a bunch of people, murdered his own dad, and works for an organization that kidnaps children at birth, indoctrinates them, and literally committed genocide on a incomprehensible scale by blowing up 5 inhabited planets.

Him saying it almost doesn't even make sense.

• Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    Intergalactic planetary Resistance pilot Ello Asty.
    bxa2ecs8q9ym.jpg

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    DMAC wrote: »
    bxa2ecs8q9ym.jpg

Born to Ill!

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    bxa2ecs8q9ym.jpg

The bit on the other side of his helmet says "BORN TO ILL" on it

edit: DAMN YOU HONOVERE

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Ceno wrote: »
    Avatar is this weird thing that is somehow the most profitable movie of all time and has made ZERO cultural impact.

I couldn't tell you the lead characters' names right now if you held a gun to my head.

I mean, I'm old though, so there could be some huge Avatar thing that all the kids are into and I'm oblivious.
    I don't get it either. I found it pretty forgettable and actually kind of ugly.

Guess people were just really batshit for 3D.
    Avatar had a few things going for it.

Nobody had made a movie that actually did 3D right up until Avatar. So when this big, bright, "unique" special effects movie came along and used 3D it for depth of field instead of "OH MAN LOOK AT THIS SPEAR COMING RIGHT FOR YOU!" it made everyone go back a few times just to see the technology.

Avatar came out during such a movie dry spot that it maintained #1 for like a month and a half. Titanic did the same thing. Cameron knows how to pick release dates. Star Wars is about to do something very similar though it faces a little bit of competition from the late-season Oscar movies and some upcoming sequels. That being said it's seeing really small drops this weekend so who knows?

Avatar did insanely well in foreign markets, with 2 billion dollars alone coming from overseas. That's 72% of its box office total. By comparison The Avengers only got like ~900 million overseas, less than 60% of its total, and it's the fucking Avengers.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Is the logo on the side of his helmet accurate? If so it looks really close to the Last Starfighter logo!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I saw this today.

Starkiller

Traitors, murderers and thieves just rings so incredibly hollow from a guy that betrayed his teacher, murdered a bunch of people, murdered his own dad, and works for an organization that kidnaps children at birth, indoctrinates them, and literally committed genocide on a incomprehensible scale by blowing up 5 inhabited planets.

It sure does.
    Kylo Ren and the rest of the First Order are gigantic hypocrites. Ren himself is a whiny, petulant child with anger issues.

That's essentially the entire point.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    The thing I remember most about Avatar is that the mineral everyone wanted was called "unobtainium"

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I remember a few things about avatar, mostly what I remember is those forums full of people convinced they were reincarnated na'vi

• Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    Is the logo on the side of his helmet accurate? If so it looks really close to the Last Starfighter logo!

Closest I could guess from the few photos I was able to find.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

Closest I could guess from the few photos I was able to find.

Yeah I just looked at a picture of the action figure. Really looks like the Last Starfighter logo even on there!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I can dig for it later, but there is a pretty good explanation for why avatar is so unforgettable on YouTube.

It stems from avatar having a weak story and absolutely impressive cgi effects. Everyone went for the effects. The story was just moot.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    oh I also remember that the na'vi bone down by braiding their ponytails together

• Options
    I remember sitting in Avatar and thinking. This really reminds me of Dances With Wolves.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    oh I also remember that the na'vi bone down by braiding their ponytails together

How else are you going to do it

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I saw this today.

Starkiller

It absolutely makes sense
    Zealots are often hilariously obvious hypocrites.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    The thing about Kylo is that like most zealots the only cause that matters is HIS cause. You can't betray the enemy because they don't matter but going against the order is the worst sin.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I remember sitting in Avatar and thinking. This really reminds me of Dances With Wolves.

I remember watching avatar and thinking this is really fucking stupid.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited December 2015

Probably my favorite TFA tweet at the moment.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    never

• Options
    "This is the weirdest remake of Ferngully I've ever seen."

• Options

Nah, people can not like the things you like, its no big deal.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Avatar was a simple story without much in the way of hidden depth and that I didn't feel was particularly well told. The movie probably had more words than Mad Max: Fury Road, but it had far fewer interesting lines than Fury Road. And fewer memorable characters than Fury Road. And I should probably stop comparing every movie to Fury Road.

• Options
    edited December 2015

Of course, I had a few critiques of it myself but I can understand some of that frustration as a star wars nerd to finally be handed a decent star wars film after about thirty years and see it get picked to pieces. And just thought it was pretty funny.

People have every right to criticize the film but I also get the draw some people have to defend this one in particular.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    The_InfidelThe_Infidel Registered User regular
    I saw this today.

Starkiller

No one is the bad guy in their own story...

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

They sure can, but lately I've seen a boom in the popularity of these "Everything Wrong With X Movie" lists and they rub me the wrong way
    It kinda makes it sound like these are comprehensive lists of factually correct negative things, as opposed to the opinions they are, and moreover, half the time it's shit like "you can't see visible earpieces on any of the Avengers, how are they communicating in the field"

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

They sure can, but lately I've seen a boom in the popularity of these "Everything Wrong With X Movie" lists and they rub me the wrong way
    It kinda makes it sound like these are comprehensive lists of factually correct negative things, as opposed to the opinions they are, and moreover, half the time it's shit like "you can't see visible earpieces on any of the Avengers, how are they communicating in the field"

Oh yeah for sure, have an opinion about stuff but don't be a dingus about it.

(Dingus is a funny word.)

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited December 2015

This isn't a tweet about how people can't like things, it's about how no one gives a shit you don't care

People that run in whenever someone says they like something with "actually, it's bad" get my fuckin goat

Whippy on
This discussion has been closed.