As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

StarCraft: Rumors of Starcraft 3 where as real as a full night's sleep.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Conversely, I actually super enjoy winning by outproducing my opponents. My playstyle in SC2, when I played ladder regularly, was always super passive militarily, very economically aggressive. I'd take lots of early bases and dare the opponent to stop me. Usually when I lost, is because they successfully did stop me ( @MMMig ) or were just better than me at macromanagement.

You know I have to admit that wanting to win a certain way is a pretty scrubby attitude. I dunno if realizing that will effect my ability enjoy SC2's gameplay design or not, but its true.

I think I'd have alot more fun if keeping up with macro wasn't so demanding. It takes all my attention, so battles for me are "a move, go back to making units", which of course causes me to lose battles often and I would take time to micro them and actually win, except that if I do my macro usually just stops. Since macro is more important always, I just a-move. :(

DarkMecha on
    Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    Conversely, I actually super enjoy winning by outproducing my opponents. My playstyle in SC2, when I played ladder regularly, was always super passive militarily, very economically aggressive. I'd take lots of early bases and dare the opponent to stop me. Usually when I lost, is because they successfully did stop me ( @MMMig ) or were just better than me at macromanagement.

You know I have to admit that wanting to win a certain way is a pretty scrubby attitude. I dunno if realizing that will effect my ability enjoy SC2's gameplay design or not, but its true.

I think I'd have alot more fun if keeping up with macro wasn't so demanding. It takes all my attention, so battles for me are "a move, go back to making units", which of course causes me to lose battles often and I would take time to micro them and actually win, except that if I do my macro usually just stops. Since macro is more important always, I just a-move. :(

i'd disagree that it is a scrubby attitude. i think expecting the game to conform to your desires and proclaiming it broken when it doesn't would be the scrub attitude. everyone has preferences

• Options

i'd disagree that it is a scrubby attitude. i think expecting the game to conform to your desires and proclaiming it broken when it doesn't would be the scrub attitude. everyone has preferences

Good point.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    SUZLFHN.jpg

well, at least I've still got what it takes to outproduce Platinum players

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    I need to pickup LotV. I'm missing this infuriating game for some reason.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    I need to pickup LotV. I'm missing this infuriating game for some reason.

Me Last Night: Oh my god I don't remember anything, oh my gooooooodddddddddd

Me Today: I love it when a build comes together

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Anybody going to be catching Shoutcraft Kings tomorrow? It's on at 5AM PST (good god), and I'm going to cook myself a monster breakfast and have beers while I watch SC2.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    Dunno if anyone here watches WCA but apparently they have dropped all blizzard games for 2017. Not sure which blizzard thread to post this in since it impacts sever and I don't want to spam the threads.

For me it is a big deal since it is one of the biggest if not the biggest Warcraft 3 event. Starcraft 2 and hearthstone were on the roster as well, not sure about heroes of the storm.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    My word is my bond, a pound of bacon, deep fried potato pancakes, and beer w/ Clamato (for vegetables) because fuck it, it's the weekend.4sam2gm7v5kv.jpg

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Dunno if anyone here watches WCA but apparently they have dropped all blizzard games for 2017. Not sure which blizzard thread to post this in since it impacts sever and I don't want to spam the threads.

For me it is a big deal since it is one of the biggest if not the biggest Warcraft 3 event. Starcraft 2 and hearthstone were on the roster as well, not sure about heroes of the storm.

Eh, gotta move on to the new stuff. Warcraft and Starcraft are a few years old now and RTS as a genre isn't doing that great. Hearthstone balance is kind of out of whack and many people are just fed up with crazy rng and turbo aggro decks that kill you regardless of what you do. Not to say that they aren't all fun games still, just that the sun is probably setting on them being super relevant tournament games.

Starcraft is by far dominated by the Korean players with only a couple of western players maintaining a presence. That seems to be a detriment for it gaining popularity outside of Korea.

As I don't think there is an esports thread, I just think in general that esports is a short lived thing for any game these days. There are just too many new games being released and the public's attention darts around like a crack squirrel. LoL, Dota, and CS are kind of more exceptions rather than the rule that they have been able to go on for so long. But also, they are all based on much older games that were also very popular everywhere. Starcraft 1 is an old game, but again, the popularity of pro starcraft was very centered in Korea.

• Options
    Enigmedic wrote: »

Eh, gotta move on to the new stuff. Warcraft and Starcraft are a few years old now and RTS as a genre isn't doing that great. Hearthstone balance is kind of out of whack and many people are just fed up with crazy rng and turbo aggro decks that kill you regardless of what you do. Not to say that they aren't all fun games still, just that the sun is probably setting on them being super relevant tournament games.

Starcraft is by far dominated by the Korean players with only a couple of western players maintaining a presence. That seems to be a detriment for it gaining popularity outside of Korea.

As I don't think there is an esports thread, I just think in general that esports is a short lived thing for any game these days. There are just too many new games being released and the public's attention darts around like a crack squirrel. LoL, Dota, and CS are kind of more exceptions rather than the rule that they have been able to go on for so long. But also, they are all based on much older games that were also very popular everywhere. Starcraft 1 is an old game, but again, the popularity of pro starcraft was very centered in Korea.

The alleged reason is that blizzard wouldn't provide a license to use their games. Only thing I can find is a gosugamers article as everything is just people stating that it is happening. It sounds like a clerical error on blizzard's part or they ha e some point of contention with the WCA, but it is tough to tell with so little information.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ypU9j4w3_w

Website with comparison gifs
    StarCraft® Remastered upgrades the essential sci-fi strategy experience from beginning to end. Welcome back to the original game and its award-winning expansion, StarCraft: Brood War.

We’ve remastered our units, buildings, and environments, improved game audio, and broadened our supported resolutions. Illustrated interludes bring the struggles and victories of heroes like Artanis, Fenix, Tassadar, Raynor and Kerrigan to life like never before. Most importantly, the strategy gameplay that StarCraft perfected years ago remains unchanged.

Also it apparently gives away Brood War for free, but I can't find clear language if it's talking about the base game and Brood War or not.

Some sort of upgrade for Brood War as well (non-remastered)

• Options
    omg, that's awesome, the real question is WHEN is it going to be released? Also, I feel like this is going to really make sc2 feel like a terrible game by comparison when the graphics are a bit closer. I also really hope they give the schezar's scavengers campaign an update too.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    omg, that's awesome, the real question is WHEN is it going to be released? Also, I feel like this is going to really make sc2 feel like a terrible game by comparison when the graphics are a bit closer. I also really hope they give the schezar's scavengers campaign an update too.

I dunno it could do the opposite and put a nail in the coffin of nostalgia. Are all the pathing issues etc still intact?

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    I'm sure dragoons will still be dragoons.

Any idea if the cinematics are remade though? That would be an easy buy for me if they were.

Releases this summer if I recall?

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    I just don't really have the excitement for old starcraft that I do for SC2 which generally seems to be a really rare opinion. I'm glad this is showing up though

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    It's a graphics, sound, and online feature update right? No gameplay updates like more than 12 units controllable at once, auto mining after creating a worker etc?

• Options
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    It's a graphics, sound, and online feature update right? No gameplay updates like more than 12 units controllable at once, auto mining after creating a worker etc?

I'm not sure those gameplay things are getting added. Are they? That'd be nice if they were.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    From what I can tell, it's a audio/visual overhaul with the gameplay untouched. As someone who played a ton of BW, that makes me happy. That being said, there's no way I can go back to it though. MBS, auto-mine, unlimited unit select, and all of the other QoL changes SC2 brought have spoiled me. I'll probably hit up youtube to check out the new cinematics and stuff.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I'd be shocked since like 90% of the people who are gonna play this won't want that

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    I think you're right that it won't be included. For me personally I'd like it, but at the same time I appreciate that there is a "pure" experience. There is a population that want that and it's be cool if they had that option.

It's weird that I'm most excited about things like the battle.net 2.0 stuff and not playing sc1. That being said maybe it could get more people into SC2 as people return. Obviously that's gotta be part of the actual plan. So I hope it works.

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Yeah, I think a lot of people think they want to play Brood war, but going back and actually playing it is going to be not the experience they expected.

Even putting aside the multiplayer, and the frustration of 12 units make and having to micro workers, frankly, those campaigns have not aged well. The campaign design in Starcraft 2 and, hell, even Warcraft 3, is much more sophisticated.

I am interested in this for nostalgia, but I think anything over $20 is going to be too much for me.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    I will say, I know Korea is not the world and all but the Brood War crowds recently are at least as big as the SC2 ones. maybe way bigger (granted Flash himself carries a lot of weight and he won this most recent tournament re-cementing himself as God)

but personally I would rather toss on SC2 because it's as hard as I ever need a game to be even if it isn't technically the hardest starcraft ever made.

• Options
    I never was really I to BW (obviously), and I got into SC2 late into the game but what exactly are the reasons people prefer sc1 to SC2? Other than one is nostalgic and therefore better than the new one?

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    The big news guy is I can now have a higher res version of my avatar.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    I'd play it single player campaign only.

Not looking to try and do multiplayer unless it's one of those "kill time" custom games like elite forces thing. Even that would have little replay value though.

So yeah, anything higher than $30 would require something really new.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    I never was really I to BW (obviously), and I got into SC2 late into the game but what exactly are the reasons people prefer sc1 to SC2? Other than one is nostalgic and therefore better than the new one?

people will say it's better balanced and the games are in some way different (which is likely to change depending on the person)

I don't really and never have agreed, I personally think it's mostly nostalgia BUT I will agree with the fact that it's harder. and that alone can actually make it more fun to watch. THere's nothing really comparable to the mastery of the best BW players in any other game, even SC2 (although it comes close)

that's just what I've seen

Variable on
  • Options
    Aye it's way WAY easier to appreciate masterful play in BW than sc2.

The mechanics, as we all know, are worlds apart.
    Multi building selection and unit queuing is enough to make it an entirely different experience.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I told my wife about the announcement and her reaction was "damn, and South Korea was doing so well too."

• Options
    so this is the 2nd time this has happened, i think both after a patch. all my co-op commanders (even the starting ones) are unavailable and say they are "new co-op commander purchase to play". the first time it went away on its own after a few minutes as though my client needed to check with the server. anyone else encounter this?

• Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »

people will say it's better balanced and the games are in some way different (which is likely to change depending on the person)

I don't really and never have agreed, I personally think it's mostly nostalgia BUT I will agree with the fact that it's harder. and that alone can actually make it more fun to watch. THere's nothing really comparable to the mastery of the best BW players in any other game, even SC2 (although it comes close)

I think the added apm needed to do a lot of the things really shines through in BW. ie, you frequently see workers not mining even in the very best players. So the choices of where/what to focus on seem clearer, at least to me.

Also, I think the lack of observer tools in BW adds a lot more suspense to the game. You can't just, 'look at the supply' at every moment as a viewer or see who immediately won every fight.

• Options
    i think they should keep BW observer mode the same, but if the replay mode had the sc2 features, people could kind of have the best of both worlds if they made the replays available.

• Options
    Cauld wrote: »

I think the added apm needed to do a lot of the things really shines through in BW. ie, you frequently see workers not mining even in the very best players. So the choices of where/what to focus on seem clearer, at least to me.

Also, I think the lack of observer tools in BW adds a lot more suspense to the game. You can't just, 'look at the supply' at every moment as a viewer or see who immediately won every fight.

while i can appreciate the skill required to keep track of all the things that need to be done and have the apm to accomplish them, i just don't really find it that interesting.

• Options
    Cauld wrote: »

there's no doubt it adds suspense

• Options
    edited April 2017
    co-op mutation is cool this time around

you are playing 1v1 with commanders and its a lot of fun. although my initial assessment is that whoever gets their broken mechanic to happen first wins. so i was able to aleksander their worker line and then lean on them

edit: after playing some additional games the things you'd expect happen. karax can drop 4-6 cannons in your base before you potentially finish your barracks/gateway/pool. nova apparently has a build that allows you to drop elite marines very quickly too and i havent witnessed it but raynor will lift his buildings and just drop free banshees on you over and over. it actually isn't as terrible as it sounds and i think it is a potential game mode if a few things get nerfed. i haven't really optimized builds because let's be honest in 99% of the co-op maps it really doesn't make any sort of difference. you are likely to win.

i think i am less interested in the crazy "panel" powers (apocalisk, orbitals, banshees, etc) and more the gameplay. it is cool to have the super strong heroes, or zombies from stukov, or whatever. if workers were easier to recover it would be nice too. it is pretty easy to just basically lose 100% of your workers. your own panel powers let you sort of come back but it's not quite enough it seems.

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    hm didn't realize that the competitive mode for coop was literally only yesterday. glad i got the chance to participate but i hope it becomes something you can do more regularly.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    gsl super tournament going on at the moment twitch.tv/gsl

don't ask me what makes it "super" because i have no idea. tuned in for the end of i assume game 1 between
    maru vs. solar
    winner:
    solar won

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    So David Kim is moving to a new project at blizzard? I saw it in the Warcraft 3 Reddit so I dunno where this was announced or when

Edit: only a quick glance on the SC Reddit but it's mentioned there naturally with no links to anything official. Dunno what impact this change might have. I have never been good enough at the game to be at a place where anything like that would impact my play

edit 2: now that i am at a PC i found something

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/sc2/topic/20753826448

WingedWeasel on