Options

StarCraft: Rumors of Starcraft 3 where as real as a full night's sleep.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Any VODs of the aforementioned sequence?

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    The one I was mentioning? I took a quick look at their Twitch page, looks like past broadcasts are only available for subs, so I dunno. Maybe Youtube has it? Or will, eventually?

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Golden is trying to snipe Avilo. Avilo finds out, so Golden outmicros him.

https://clips.twitch.tv/golden/DifficultHerdTwitchRaid

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I'm hunting for vods, Dhal but no luck yet

but... holy shit. according to liquipedia, after that performance against sweden, scarlett went on to beat byun twice and innovation once to put canada over korea. she might be able to really perform in this season of GSL!

her group has myungsik, alive, and classic, so it's gonna be tricky as hell but if she just plays solid she definitely has a shot.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    I'm hunting for vods, Dhal but no luck yet

but... holy shit. according to liquipedia, after that performance against sweden, scarlett went on to beat byun twice and innovation once to put canada over korea. she might be able to really perform in this season of GSL!

her group has myungsik, alive, and classic, so it's gonna be tricky as hell but if she just plays solid she definitely has a shot.

If nothing else she's shown she has incredible endurance. Being able to play well is one thing, but playing like, 7 games in a row (and winning all of them) is another level. (Plus at least 4 of those were ZvZ, which is very tense.)

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Played a bunch of coop tonight. Discovered along with career knight that custom mutators give experience which I did not actually expect. Not sure if it is the same as regular mutator, but the quantity of mutators did not seem to impact it.

Some of them can be brutal depending on the map which is good as it continues to provide an incentive. That being said I wish there was a way to group them. I have no desire to Ever play polarity again and probably not the blizzard one, the cloaking one etc. So I'd like to be able to hide them to make it less cluttered but whatever.

Debating buying alarak, Nova, and abathur. I pretty much stick to stukov at this point (I like that 2 bunker opening!), but maybe I should branch out. I'm not really excited about any of the Terran offerings but Nova looks interesting nonetheless. Abathur seems fun, and so does alarak. Really looking forward to Dehaka when he inevitably shows up, same with Fenix.

• Options
    scarlett in GSL in less than half an hour

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    It only took a little over a year, but I'm finally playing the LotV single player campaign. Just got off Aiur and am ready to go meet up with my boy Jimmy!

And is it me or did Artanis hit the gym between Brood War and now. Also, his Toss nuts must have dropped cause he seems way less wimpy these days.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Hah yeah the Artanis that showed up in Heroes confused me.

I was expecting the young but energetic executor-to-be from the brood war days. His voice was a lot more high pitched.
    BW's Artanis was straight out of a high school teen drama.

The one we have now is like, Fenix Jr., with all the muscle and testosterone that that entails (no one will EVER be as bad-ass as Fenix Sr.).

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    About 7 missions done now, finishing up my second planet mission. So far everything has been mass deathball, 1A to victory. I'm sure things will get trickier as time goes on.

My only problem now is I keep pressing "Z" after finishing a fight in order to mount up. Too much Heroes of the Storm lately. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Oh that's Alarack. I just met him in the campaign. He's a jerk.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I actually quite liked Alarak. He was a little extreme on the 'rahrah I'm a Sith Lord bit' but his actions made sense as a product of his culture; one that is simultaneously both intensely hierarchical and self-promoting.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    Well I did just meet him so he's only tried to blow up library tech thus far.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    The short story is pretty critical to getting a full understanding of his view points and motivations: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/game/lore/short-stories/ascension/1

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    Yilias wrote: »
    The short story is pretty critical to getting a full understanding of his view points and motivations: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/game/lore/short-stories/ascension/1

i didnt know this existed until now. i don't recall the exact interactions when you encounter alarak in the game, just sort of the overall flow. presumably this story takes place a significant amount of time prior to the events of legacy of the void

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Man, WTF is wrong with some people? I went down the rabbithole of watching recommended videos and ended up seeing a TvZ 'Planetary Fortress Rush' video.

It was actually pretty cool, because the Terran player got the Fortress inside the Zerg's main, had some tank support to help clean up, wiped it out... and then just sat there, I dunno, maybe every time he'd done it before his opponent immediately GG'd out? But the zerg player had gotten drones out, still had an active base on the map. If the T had had any followup, they would've been wiped out, but he just sat there and fiddled around. Didn't even unsiege his tank or go scouting around.

He did this for so long, that the Zerg player had time to build mutalisks, and wipe the Terran out, who left with, 'Go fuck yourself forever.' Because being a better player and not immediately surrendering to cheese is something to get butt hurt about or something.

• Options
    I watched that match too. So bizarre why the T just did nothing for so long.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Anyone know if the Nova pack is good? The missions I mean

I'll be honest I don't really get the announcer packs. I listened to the samples and yeah its cute to have Nova dance around saying "YOU MUST CONSTRUCT ADDITIONAL PYLONS" but at the same time I don't care. Not in a "this is dumb why would anyone want it" kind of way, but more super apathetic and indifferent.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Hey, Free is Free. I've heard the Nova missions are adequately engaging.
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I watched that match too. So bizarre why the T just did nothing for so long.

There were a couple times I wondered if one or both players had just wandered off but not GG'd out, and just left their faction running on auto, but could see things being done as the resources changed. Just so weird. "You chased your opponent out of their primary base! Follow up now and smash them!"

This was another one where it seemed like a little more effort into the follow-through and it should've been an easy win.

https://youtu.be/nvE1nkKydGo

If the Protess had spared just some minimal expense for defense and army production in the main, he could've smashed the terran army hard and swept it up. Instead, way too little follow-up, no pressure when it would've been the most effective.

• Options
    I lost a game yesterday where I had a toss locked in their base and said to myself the only way I can lose is if they go dt

Five minutes later after not doing anything to stop it I was dying to dts and then I lost. The type of loss that turns your stomach... Up a base, tanks locking down their ramp, but not enough going on at home to counter the obvious desperation move.

While I haven't watched the videos in question, it's easier than it seems to kind of lock up in the moment and find a game squandered due to lack of action.

• Options
    Variable wrote: »
    I lost a game yesterday where I had a toss locked in their base and said to myself the only way I can lose is if they go dt

Five minutes later after not doing anything to stop it I was dying to dts and then I lost. The type of loss that turns your stomach... Up a base, tanks locking down their ramp, but not enough going on at home to counter the obvious desperation move.

While I haven't watched the videos in question, it's easier than it seems to kind of lock up in the moment and find a game squandered due to lack of action.

I haven't played sc2 ladder in a looooong time but your last paragraph is absolutely true. I've done it myself in SC and in other games as well. I still find those sort of losses easier to stomach because you can improve, you've identified the issue and it has an actionable resolution path.

SC doesn't really have the "oops I guess I lose" that card games do, although I guess certain build order losses would qualify. However those are the types of games that really are frustrating to me, the loss of agency. At least if I make a mistake, sure I am going to get upset over it, but I quickly recover since it can be corrected. If agency is removed than it is a lingering frustration

• Options
    New commander stuff in 3.11 Including bundles and discounts for the new commanders, and some tweaks to masteries.

A while ago I was reading some threads where people were suggesting competitive (maybe 2v2 ) co-op. Naturally people were throwing a fit over the mere idea. Essentially telling everyone to stick to ladder. I don't see why both can't exist. Change things for balance in competitive but leave PvE content alone. Or don't bother balancing and just leave it to people to deal with. I think it'd be fun since it's like a totally different game and there are legitimately lots of new units.

Granted Karax cannon rushes would be absurd but maybe the maps are all old BW BGH style I dunno. Or as I mentioned you tweak stuff. I wish I was better with the map editor.

• Options
    MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    God, I just installed this. Some things become clearer after time, and damn...it's clear this game is such a throwback. I'm not slamming it or anything....just...jesus. I used to play CoH a little competitively, so I generally have some idea of how bad I am at a RTS. And, my god, I am SO bad at this. My build order doesn't even begin to matter, I don't know where anything is, ever, and I have thousands of unspent resources throughout the game....I mean, it's just jaw-dropping that I can be this bad at a video game.

Like, the hurdles to basic competency are extreme.

edit: It's *so* fast-paced. I mean, it's been a while, so it might just be atrophy, but CoH is positively glacial in comparison.

MadPen on
    3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • Options
    At no point, in my entire time playing Starcraft, has the game ever deigned to tell me that I have become any good at it. The best I have ever gotten is "congrats, I guess you weren't completely awful this time." Usually immediately followed up by me forgetting to scout some cheese build in the next game.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    MadPen wrote: »
    God, I just installed this. Some things become clearer after time, and damn...it's clear this game is such a throwback. I'm not slamming it or anything....just...jesus. I used to play CoH a little competitively, so I generally have some idea of how bad I am at a RTS. And, my god, I am SO bad at this. My build order doesn't even begin to matter, I don't know where anything is, ever, and I have thousands of unspent resources throughout the game....I mean, it's just jaw-dropping that I can be this bad at a video game.

edit: It's *so* fast-paced. I mean, it's been a while, so it might just be atrophy, but CoH is positively glacial in comparison.

I feel the same way when I swap from coh/dow to starcraft and back, starcraft is so much more micro intensive. Competitive and harder single player difficulties are even kind of unfun to me sometimes because I end up having to click around the map so much that I never even get to really watch a fight play out. CoH by comparison is almost cinematic in its combat, you just kind of position your units and they have it out while you micro maybe 2-3 other units to flank or capture points.

Starcraft is still fun, but the barrier of entry to high level play is insane.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    MadPen wrote: »

Oh don't worry, that's how it's supposed to feel up until you win a major Korean tournament, and even then you still feel that way a bit.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    I miss starcraft but I honestly feel I like the idea of it more than I actually like it. So I stick to coop :l

Edit: although I did realize the other day as I was chain running coop that I find Terran suuuuuper boring. I literally haven't touched Raynor or Swann and I have zero desire to. I hit 15 with Nova but she plays differently given the "warp in" nature of air drops, the elite troops, and of course Nova herself. I'm still not a huge fan but it's miles better than anything else.

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    The best that one can ever aspire to when playing Starcraft is to become good enough to be aware of how bad you are.

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    The best that one can ever aspire to when playing Starcraft is to become good enough to be aware of how bad you are.

I like that aspect of it honestly. It gives me something to obsess about and improve on. Im not really sure what it is I don't like. I had thought it was the balance of tactics vs strategy but I don't think that's true, but I'm not entirely sure.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular

I like that aspect of it honestly. It gives me something to obsess about and improve on. Im not really sure what it is I don't like. I had thought it was the balance of tactics vs strategy but I don't think that's true, but I'm not entirely sure.

That's what I thought too, but I don't know either. I want to have fun, but just usually don't.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    DarkMecha wrote: »

That's what I thought too, but I don't know either. I want to have fun, but just usually don't.

i dunno, i don't feel SC2 is that much more micro intensive than WC3 but i love the later way more than the former. i think my problem with SC2 (and starcraft in general) is that the game very much feels as though it is about economy. obviously most games boil down to resource management, however when i play starcraft i am consciously aware that my drones are more important than just about anything else. then things like mineral line drops and runbys are more important. worker harass and similar strategies exist in WC3 but they don't feel as prevalent since you can simply wall off and zeppelins are used but usually not in the dropping capacity.

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    edited March 2017

i dunno, i don't feel SC2 is that much more micro intensive than WC3 but i love the later way more than the former. i think my problem with SC2 (and starcraft in general) is that the game very much feels as though it is about economy. obviously most games boil down to resource management, however when i play starcraft i am consciously aware that my drones are more important than just about anything else. then things like mineral line drops and runbys are more important. worker harass and similar strategies exist in WC3 but they don't feel as prevalent since you can simply wall off and zeppelins are used but usually not in the dropping capacity.

For me I think it might be that what I enjoy most about an RTS is out-fighting my opponent, not out-producing them. The only RTS I've enjoyed winning because I had a better economy is the Age of Empires series. Otherwise if I somehow endup with way more units and don't get a really good fight or two out of the match it feels like a hollow victory. I mean I don't want to strip economy away, but I don't want it to be THE deciding factor in most matches. Hence why Company of Heroes and DoW2 are among my favorites. That said there are alot of things about SC2 that I do really enjoy so I wish I could have more fun with it in MP.

DarkMecha on
  • Options

For me I think it might be that what I enjoy most about an RTS is out-fighting my opponent, not out-producing them. The only RTS I've enjoyed winning because I had a better economy is the Age of Empires series. Otherwise if I somehow endup with way more units and don't get a really good fight or two out of the match it feels like a hollow victory. I mean I don't want to strip economy away, but I don't want it to be THE deciding factor in most matches. Hence why Company of Heroes and DoW2 are among my favorites. That said there are alot of things about SC2 that I do really enjoy so I wish I could have more fun with it in MP.

i can understand that. i sort of feel similarly. the idea that at most skill levels simply making more stuff than the other guy is sort of discouraging. not saying it's wrong to have fun that way or something but i don't think it is my thing. WC3 is a good mix for me. coop is fine since i just kinda play it absent mindedly, there's borderline zero micro involved so i can just live the fantasy of whatever commander i take. i love the competitive aspect of ladder in SC2, but i dunno.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Conversely, I actually super enjoy winning by outproducing my opponents. My playstyle in SC2, when I played ladder regularly, was always super passive militarily, very economically aggressive. I'd take lots of early bases and dare the opponent to stop me. Usually when I lost, is because they successfully did stop me ( @MMMig ) or were just better than me at macromanagement.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Now that I think about it, I was kind of aggressive in Age of Kings as well, often favoring the Flush strategy complete with forward towers near enemy resources and the like. Age of Kings / Mythology and Rise of Nations were some of my favorites to build up a big economy in though.

Anyways, yes Starcraft sure is a game that some of us play occasionally.

DarkMecha on
  • Options
    Rumors from tlnet
    Starcraft remastered

Since the WC3 community has been talking about recent patches and rumors about it getting updated to be included in bnet 2.0 I wouldn't be surprised that starcraft is on the list of updates as well. Diablo got something relatively recently as well I think.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    @Variable @Dhalphir

Scarlett has inspired me to reinstall and creep up some new maps

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    My A key is breaking down, so my combat micro is awful 100% of the time

Also my builds and strategies and macro, those are bad too

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    glad to hear nothing has changed

(this is meant to be "everyone is bad at starcraft". I am forced to accept that it may sound like a direct insult)